Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets have a Dog Day!
My dog after she spotted a critter in the trap.
CIMG7235.JPG

Of the many places I’ve been in my life this is one of the few that I would like to see again, Yosemite. I also like Ansel Adams photos. He could see the beauty of Yosemite went beyond color.

Another engineer and I had a weekend off and went to Yosemite. He grew up in Austria, learned to drive in the Alps. We were in a rented toyota tercel. It was better than any amusement park thrill ride I’ve ever been on.

Tiny, twisting mountain roads driven by an expert! Parts were a white knuckle ride of a life time. I’ll never forget that drive.

View attachment 77797
First time I drove that was nighttime! Winter is definitely the best time to visit, less tourists.

There are multiple seams of coal underneath where I live. The mines are as deep as 2100ft. Family members have worked in these mines for decades. A new 50yr project just started last year at the 2100ft mark. It’ll employ 350 people and produce 4 million tons a year of the highest grade coal in the US for making coke (for iron and steel production)

The first pic was taken a few miles from my home at about 800ft down. It’s a “long wall miner” in operation.

In some places this seam is 4ft thick. When I came of age my career choices were cotton fields, coal mines or leaving. I left!

There is actually a small seam of coal at the surface on a grt uncles land. He and my grandfather mined it for most of their lives, just enough coal to supply both families. I was in that holler just a few years ago, took my dad to the old mine again. It’s still there and still very dangerous, extremely high methane content in the coal here.

coal 041.jpg

There are multiple seams of coal underneath where I live. The mines are as deep as 2100ft. Family members have worked in these mines for decades. A new 50yr project just started last year at the 2100ft mark. It’ll employ 350 people and produce 4 million tons a year of the highest grade coal in the US for making coke (for iron and steel production)

The first pic was taken a few miles from my home at about 800ft down. It’s a “long wall miner” in operation.

In some places this seam is 4ft thick. When I came of age my career choices were cotton fields, coal mines or leaving. I left!

There is actually a small seam of coal at the surface on a grt uncles land. He and my grandfather mined it for most of their lives, just enough coal to supply both families. I was in that holler just a few years ago, took my dad to the old mine again. It’s still there and still very dangerous, extremely high methane content in the coal here.

View attachment 77895

Yup

The lab used by NIOSH is a simulated mine with one wall lined with gas lines fed by a 2" pipe. The attached paper describes an application I wrote for 5hem to help them study how best to set up ventilation in the mines. The gas just pours out of the coal wall.

Ben

Attachments

• CharacterizingMethaneConcentrationsinaMineusingNILabVIEW (1).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
Awww. Adorable doggies. Nice room too. I could never have blinds like that. My pets destroy them. The base molding is very nice. Also love the floor.
Thank you. ☺️They are mainly farm dogs and just chill out there as they are pretty dirty! We don’t have cats in the house as I’m allergic and so everything stays in pretty good shape 😂

I think we had too many outside lights up this year. Whatcha think?
Took them all down today.
My 'industrial-grade' timer:
IMG_20211231_191540.jpg

It still works, just needs fixin';).

I have an old beater marlin model 60 and decided to give it a lil face lift. I’ve sanded the stock down and thought I’d try my hand at wood burning. I think it turned out good. I may add some more up on the fore stock I don’t know yet
1C68F520-2203-47F0-A94E-0231CEED6100.jpeg

History Channel.
Just got done watching 2 new episodes a few minutes ago (on demand). They're in a new season.

Yeah, pretty good show. I watch it the way some people 'play' Jeopardy. Unlike all the other shows with a similar format based on 'art' and 'drama', steel does not care how woke you are...its simply physics and so you can usually just look at how someone is making something and know if its going to break or not.

My favorite part is when they go to their home shops. I've gotten a few ideas from those. Like I noticed that a lot of people had taken small handheld metal cutting bandsaws and made mounts for them to turn them into a vertical metal cutting bandsaw. I had a portable bandsaw kicking around for a decade without knowing what to do with it but after I modified it to be a small bench saw Its one of the most used tools in my shop.

I feel sorry for some of the guys who have very little in terms of tools/space for their shops. I remember some guy who had to use an old satellite dish and something and someone called the fire dept on him and made him move his fire farther from his house (but the fire dept men helped him). Some of the people have really advanced shops. Felt bad for the guy who had a shop fire and his sword cracked though.

I don't do the whole "selfie" thing and I haven't allowed anyone to take a picture of me in a long time-- don't like having my picture taken and like having my pic posted even less-- but I decided to see how I looked with the samsclub snuggy thing. LOL.
This is how people in Louisiana deal with weather below 60°F.
1641344452795.png

Latest posts

Back