Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A6D32F10-3C50-455E-AB3A-37916EE8B91B.jpeg
397BA7D3-C857-413D-8388-AF1C88CB737F.jpeg

Att: Peanut!!
Hot sauce from South America.
Notice what it’s called.

I'll stick with Dave's insanity and bottled hell. :)
I don't trust nothing not made in the US, Canada or the EU.
Maybe Japan on rare occasion.

I do buy and use American made hot sauces, but the best come from Central/South America and the Caribbean.
After all, it was invented down there.

El Yucateco from the Yucatán area of Mexico is some of the best, both red and green.
Valentina jalapeño sauce from Mexico is very flavorful, especially if you get the extra hot.

Finish Checking… also called weather checking, fairly common on acoustic instruments with a nitrocellulose finish. Nitrocellulose was used on high end vintage instruments made by Martin and Gibson from the 1920’s onward. Most any instrument made prior to 1980 has this type finish no matter who made it. It’s just the finish that’s affected, not the instrument underneath.

Finish checking is caused by large, very abrupt, temperature changes. If I see a guitar or mandolin with finish checking I know to an almost certainty that instrument was used to play bluegrass. Not always but here in the south it's usually the case.

Bluegrass is commonly played at outdoor events, sometimes with large temperature changes. For instance, a place I played at as a kid. We tuned and warmed up in a 12ftx12ft little building with a space heater, might be 50 degrees on a winter night. Then we’d hit the 100 degree stage under the lights. Every instrument would be out of tune in 30 seconds. The audience was used to this… One song and every band had to stop and re-tune their instruments. :rolleyes:

It also caused finish checking… This doesn’t diminish the value of an instrument. In fact I’m more apt to take a closer look at such an instrument. High end acoustic guitars actually sound better with age and use. Lots of finish checking tells me it’s a guitar I might want to hear.

This is my 50yr old martin guitar… lot of finish checking.

Martin Cracks 38a.JPG
Martin Cracks 40a.JPG

Last edited:
Finish Checking… also called weather checking, fairly common on acoustic instruments with a nitrocellulose finish. Nitrocellulose was used on high end vintage instruments made by Martin and Gibson from the 1920’s onward. Most any instrument made prior to 1980 has this type finish no matter who made it. It’s just the finish that’s affected, not the instrument underneath.

Finish checking is caused by large, very abrupt, temperature changes. If I see a guitar or mandolin with finish checking I know to an almost certainty that instrument was used to play bluegrass. Not always but here in the south it's usually the case.

Bluegrass is commonly played at outdoor events, sometimes with large temperature changes. For instance, a place I played at as a kid. We tuned and warmed up in a 12ftx12ft little building with a space heater, might be 50 degrees on a winter night. Then we’d hit the 100 degree stage under the lights. Every instrument would be out of tune in 30 seconds. The audience was used to this… One song and every band had to stop and re-tune their instruments. :rolleyes:

It also caused finish checking… This doesn’t diminish the value of an instrument. In fact I’m more apt to take a closer look at such an instrument. High end acoustic guitars actually sound better with age and use. Lots of finish checking tells me it’s a guitar I might want to hear.

This is my 50yr old martin guitar… lot of finish checking.

View attachment 95684View attachment 95685
I bet it sounds great!
Interesting note, Nitrocellulose:
Wikipedia said: Nitrocellulose (also known as cellulose nitrate, flash paper, flash cotton, guncotton, pyroxylin and flash string, depending on form) is a highly flammable compound formed by nitrating cellulose through exposure to a mixture of nitric acid and sulfuric acid. One of its first major uses was as guncotton, a replacement for gunpowder as propellant in firearms. It was also used to replace gunpowder as a low-order explosive in mining and other applications.
Guess how I knew that? 😁;)
We blew stuff up with it.:blow up:

I've heard that somewhere before... probably in my notes. 🤣

It was used on instruments, first of all because it was very shiny. Very easy to keep shiny. Made them look great. I grew up with poor folks. Sometimes the best looking wooden object in a home was dad's guitar. 😁

Luthiers liked it because it still allowed the wood to breath.

Finish checking to a lot of pickers I know are viewed sort of like battle scars. I knew an old guy who'd say... got character, thats what they mean... lol.

Last edited:
The weather here turned poorly and I spent some time in the shop. I found an old but very heavy-walled 12 gauge barrel. So thinking I needed more cannons, I made these four. Each barrel is about 5 inches long to give an idea of size. I haven't shot them yet.
10-7- 002.jpg

I was watching a video about the cleaning of a hoarder house and this is a before and after (screenshots) I grabbed. Apparently the owner died & the owner's gf became a hoarder and left a huge mess. Family who inherited the place kicked her out (or she died, I can't remember which) & this guy came in to clean it for free. Used some sort of scrub brush attached to a drill.
I saw cabinets like this in the old hardware store. I think they are from the 70s?
1665611108051.png

1665611124375.png

You need to hook Toby and some of his buddies up to that and ditch the tractor! And don't tell your wife I said that!😁😉
Gorman has a "Mule Drawn wagon", pulled by Tom and John. Toby used to pull a carriage in the Lebanon Christmas Parade, but has moved to a much, much better "retirement"Home.

1665946183206.png

1665946611240.png

Gorman has a "Mule Drawn wagon", pulled by Tom and John. Toby used to pull a carriage in the Lebanon Christmas Parade, but has moved to a much, much better "retirement"Home.

View attachment 95992

View attachment 95993

Several years ago I found myself with 7 horses and donkeys. I needed tack, a lot of it. An old man who used to drive teams in parades had stopped, sold his teams. He had tons of gear left over, various horse drawn wagons, buggies etc. A whole barn full of tack and assorted equine gear.

I made an appointment to look at all of it, possibly buy some. I arrived on time, 8am. Nobody was home, no one answered the door. I waited and waited, finally knocked on the door one last time. I thought I heard a muffled shout so I walked around the house looking in windows.

I saw them in the bath tub yelling for help. I broke in and called 911. The wife had fallen in the bath tub the night before. The old man fell trying to help her. They were both stranded in the tub all night. Badly dehydrated, no medications, cold… they were in bad shape. I got them water, blankets and ran next door and told a neighbor who called their kids.

Thankfully they both survived the ordeal.

Bugs...

a Insectsa.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a Japanese Beetle.
They are invasive and very destructive to gardens, trees and grass.
We have them close by and the government people are freaking out.
You should contact someone locally ASAP. If they have not been around your area then you have a new and serious problem.
At least call the county extension and tell them what you have.

That's a Japanese Beetle.
They are invasive and very destructive to gardens, trees and grass.
We have them close by and the government people are freaking out.
You should contact someone locally ASAP. If they have not been around your area then you have a new and serious problem.
At least call the county extension and tell them what you have.
I googled Japanese Beetle and it doesn't have the right markings. It's a Rainbow Scarab. Has the big horn and glittery carapace. It's apparently very rare.
Japanese Beetle stock photo:
1666061880058.png

Rainbow Scarab:
1666061920774.png

I googled Japanese Beetle and it doesn't have the right markings. It's a Rainbow Scarab. Has the big horn and glittery carapace. It's apparently very rare.
Japanese Beetle stock photo:
View attachment 96131

Rainbow Scarab:
View attachment 96132
A friend of mine in North Dakota received a package for her birthday from friends in Florida. Inside was a now deceased insect that none of them knew what it was. Although I had never seen one live, I had studied insects with my students and had quite a collection of cards that I had made of all kinds of insects. I looked at the insect and told her that I thought it was a dung beetle. After some research, we determined that in fact it was a dung beetle.

They don't see the problem🤣!! At least they are not driving!
Our future is at stake and those fools are not aware of anything around them . I took the picture with my wife telling me they would start some shat but they did not know I was slive

Latest posts

Back