Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last time we were in town we also topped up on -

- 2 x 30 pk antibacterial wipes to top up our medical supplies cabinet.

I am already using our sodium chloride ampules for recent small operations that DH had along with our wound dressing kits we have stocked. It is amazing how often we use our medical/first aid supplies here in the home.

2 cases of half gallon mason jars
4 envelopes of Knorr sides ( this time rice and not noodles)( I add canned meat and canned veggies to these to extend them for a meal)
5 bottles of expensive Greek salad dressing on sale for only $2 each ( I like to use it as a marinade for chicken and I really need to find a good easy recipe for the stuff lol)
Big bag ( $2 on discount) of red and black licorice that I plan on vacuum sealing in a half gallon jar( I want to get other hard candies to seal also. Its always nice to have a treat)

Great weekend at BOL. Apple trees planted, 4 new honeyberries and 2 new saskatoons planted. 3 more fence posts cemented in and rails up adding about 12 feet. Metal fencing around apple trees all staked in. It'll be about 3 weeks before we make it back up so hopefully we get some rain. Stump grinder performed admirably and is making a big difference up there.

went to town this morning. 8 bottles of kraft bbq sauce[24oz.] for 75 cents each. and 2 large cans of coffee for 4.99 each.@hiwall you should have been here cause i also bought whole fryers @99 cents a pound ; top round roasts @ 2.69 a pound and t-bone steaks @ 3.99 a pound. thought about you while putting them in the buggy lol

Last edited:
Why are your tbones so much?
I can find them on sale on occasion at Kroger (Smiths) for $6.99 a lb.

All beef is high in price here.
I don't understand how ground beef ( 80/20) can be $4.99 ( or higher) a pound :eek: Its HAMBURGER for goodness sakes!!!!
And forget about a steak of any kind and any size
The only beef I find is worth the money is a chuck roast because you can get so many meals out of one
We've been forced to have beef ( any beef) as an " occasion" since it costs so much
We eat more pork than anything and with the news about pigs/hogs dieing off in other countries I'm inclined to think it will go up in price here also
Chicken is high in price if you get anything other than legs or thighs. Those go on sale for .88 lb. Once in a while a store will have whole chickens for .99 lb but usually they're at least $1.99- $2.99 lb

Its going to get real crazy soon trying to live within our budget with the way food prices are going up

Why are your tbones so much?
I can find them on sale on occasion at Kroger (Smiths) for $6.99 a lb.

No idea. Maybe because we have a Wal-Mart, a mom and pop grocery store/ meat market or we make a 120 mile trip to get it cheaper?

@Terri9630 our t-bone is $24 Aud a kg in the big supermarkets so super expensive as well.

It really stinks that you have to pay so much for beef. We get a half cow from a local farmer for our beef. We are very lucky to personally know the farmer and the meat is always wonderful. Sadly he is getting up there in age so we may have to find another vendor soon.:(

I'd take a sirloin over a t-bone any day of the week.:D

It really stinks that you have to pay so much for beef. We get a half cow from a local farmer for our beef. We are very lucky to personally know the farmer and the meat is always wonderful. Sadly he is getting up there in age so we may have to find another vendor soon.:(

I'd take a sirloin over a t-bone any day of the week.:D
We usually buy half a steer but steaks always seem to run out first. I prefer a good filet mignon myself but I'll take the whole loin if the price is right.

I added another 1lb bag of egg noodles
12 cans of peas ( plan on adding 12 more directly)
6 cans of pineapple chunks ( I want to get some different kinds next)
Another big bag of red and black licorice ( its was on mark down to $2 so I couldn't pass it up lol)
Another 2lbs of old fashioned oats
4 envelopes of instant mashed potatoes
6 envelopes of powdered salad dressing mixes ( those are handy to use in the crockpot)
another 2 dozen eggs to freeze
2- 8 packs of bath soap
3lbs of sausage

I forgot my darn list this morning and so I forgot to pick up some red wine vinegar and a jug of white vinegar. I hate when I do that lol

Last week I went to a closeout store and got a Kilner butter churn that is similar to my mother's Daisy hand crank churn but smaller. I also got a sauce mill. I normally don't get kitchen tools unless I have a current need but I have been eyeing that churn and mill online for years and decided to get them now.

We have been eying off a 20 tonne hydraulic petrol powered log splitter for some time and I saw the one we were looking at get reduced a huge amount from $1599 down to $868.22 so we purchased it off eBay. That is a huge saving of $730.78. DH was going to buy it with his tax return we get back in August but instead I borrowed from the bills account (of which there is stacks in there) temporarily and DH will replace it when his tax cheque comes in.

We have been splitting wood with a wood splitting ax but DH's back has deteriorated somewhat and my muscles aren't as strong as they used to be either, and ironbark is super hard stuff to manually split, so this will be a godsend and cut the time down on splitting firewood dramatically and serve us into old age as well.

I added another 1lb bag of egg noodles
12 cans of peas ( plan on adding 12 more directly)
6 cans of pineapple chunks ( I want to get some different kinds next)
Another big bag of red and black licorice ( its was on mark down to $2 so I couldn't pass it up lol)
Another 2lbs of old fashioned oats
4 envelopes of instant mashed potatoes
6 envelopes of powdered salad dressing mixes ( those are handy to use in the crockpot)
another 2 dozen eggs to freeze
2- 8 packs of bath soap
3lbs of sausage

I forgot my darn list this morning and so I forgot to pick up some red wine vinegar and a jug of white vinegar. I hate when I do that lol
I have heard of freezing eggs but never tried. Do you freeze them whole or do you separate them? Can you cook them as “eggs” after or just use in cooking? Enlighten me

I have heard of freezing eggs but never tried. Do you freeze them whole or do you separate them? Can you cook them as “eggs” after or just use in cooking? Enlighten me

Yes I freeze them whole out of the shell. I use silicone muffin cups to put them in ( I put the silicone cups in a metal muffin tin to hold them steady) and I freeze them until hard then I pop them out and vacuum seal them with my foodsaver sealer.
You can fry them up like a regular egg but the whites are more "runny" than usual. You can bake with them and use them for scrambled,etc.
You can't use them for hard boiled of course

Latest posts

Back