Shortages / Price Increases You Expect To See

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...ricultural-products-countries-outside-eurasia
Besides the fertilizer and grain, Russia is banning sugar exports. Although most of our sugar comes from Mexico, what we're seeing is nations becoming possessive of their personal supplies. Eventually more and more nations are going to stop exporting their goods.

Besides the fact it's a baking staple, a halt in sugar exports is going to make jellies and jams difficult to make and or find. Then grain shortages. . . . Something as cheap and simple as a PB&J sandwich is going to be impossible for parents to make their kids pretty soon.

My son, who's a shipping manager at a local machine shop, attended a seminar on shipping. He was told to expect shipping prices for everything to go up at least 30% this year, possibly much higher. That cost will be passed on to the consumer.

He recommended that if we plan to buy anything from amazon or other online stores to do it sooner than later.

Say good-bye to Chinese imports. So pharmaceuticals are gone.

- Antibiotics
- Aspirin
- Ibuprofen
- Acetaminophen
- Vitamins
- Immunizations: rabies, distemper etc.

And all those vitamins imported are also used in animal food. Dry cat food; dry dog food.

And it reminded me that my cat is due for his rabies this month! So I better go call the vet.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...nt-xi-will-face-serious-consequences-if-china
China is biding its time and has taken a non-confrontational position so the article says, but our bullying and threatening is going to turn them away from us soon. Could be weeks or months away.

Get the 3 year rabies.

All our cats and both dogs got their shots this year or right before Christmas. They all have their 3 year rabies. The cats' were all 3 year shots not just the rabies and the dogs got the 3 year parvo too.

My son, who's a shipping manager at a local machine shop, attended a seminar on shipping. He was told to expect shipping prices for everything to go up at least 30% this year, possibly much higher. That cost will be passed on to the consumer.

He recommended that if we plan to buy anything from amazon or other online stores to do it sooner than later.

How does the price increase on shipping affect those places that offer free shipping for a membership fee like Amazon Prime and Walmart+?

30% is a lot better than I was calculating. We're definitely ordering those things from Amazon etc. that we need now. My sister's been putting orders in; we're combing through our wishlists. Membership fee for Prime is $140 (I think that's including tax) and we're going to nuke it next month. We don't think we're going to get our money's worth from it this year.

Get the 3 year rabies.

All our cats and both dogs got their shots this year or right before Christmas. They all have their 3 year rabies. The cats' were all 3 year shots not just the rabies and the dogs got the 3 year parvo too.

How does the price increase on shipping affect those places that offer free shipping for a membership fee like Amazon Prime and Walmart+?

My little Murdoch saw the vet today and he got his 3 years rabies. One of our cats a long time ago, got rabies. He was only a couple months past due and we lost track and he got into a fight with either another cat or a raccoon. It was really sad and scary. AND I picked him up when he was infected, unknowingly. Had he bit or scratched me . . . . >.<

I do not take rabies lightly. I got the dates of when our cats our due. The next ones don't go til August.

Also, my guess is that Amazon Prime and Walmart+ will eventually raise membership fees again. It might not affect people who already renewed, but they'll just make that up by raising prices on products.

Since we're not renewing Prime, I looked into shipping costs and Amazon will still offer free shipping on purchases of $25 or more. But we really don't get things 2-day anymore so we're sitting here wondering what's the point? We can easily put in a $25 order on Amazon. Even if they jack it to $35 or $50, if we need anything, mom, dad, sister and me, we can pool our resources order what we need in one go. Give the money to one person and use their card. So it doesn't seem like a practical expense anymore.

The price of the product you're buying will go up, but the shipping will remain free.

Didn't Amazon raise the Prime membership to 14 something a month? 20 bucks a year or some such.

@Katie Müller If your worried about rabies and the late vaccine you might find ease if you read about titer testing. The rabies vaccine along with most other vaccines have a FAR longer effective life in your animals than the vets/pharma/government have you believe.
@Curmudgeon Our Amazon did go up. We’re trying to source the few animals things we use Amazon for from other sources. Once we do they are gone for us too. Been trying to shop with them as little as possible for quite a while now. That made it even more of a push. Service way worse. Price going up. No thanks

Went grocery shopping this morning, no honey-wheat bread, in fact there was very little bread. With St. Patties day coming up the wife wanted me to get corned beef and cabbage, the store had 4 of each. Now this is a grocery store the size of most Walmart's, and to have 4 cabbages is just sad...

I was able to get everything on our list but I am expecting thing to get much worse. I think the stuff on Amazon will go up a lot, their shipping system is highly dependent of the price of fuel.

Yesterday I noticed that fuel prices have fallen by almost $2/gallon. I know part of it is the $0.18 state fuel tax that has been lifted short term. I am also hearing that the Administration is trying to keep prices down until after the Mid-Term Elections in November. I just can't figure out what to expect, are we heading to a big SNAFU food and fuel wise or has everything been overblown? I just don't know what to expect.... Does anyone out there have a working crystal ball?

Biden is still drawing down the strategic reserve for one thing. Is some areas globally demand has dropped, to some degree i think that has happened in the states. Do you buy inflated food or inflated fuel.

I expect once they stop the drawdown, which will have to come at some point, prices will increase. My bet is either right after the election or first of the year

Yesterday I noticed that fuel prices have fallen by almost $2/gallon. I know part of it is the $0.18 state fuel tax that has been lifted short term. I am also hearing that the Administration is trying to keep prices down until after the Mid-Term Elections in November. I just can't figure out what to expect, are we heading to a big SNAFU food and fuel wise or has everything been overblown? I just don't know what to expect.... Does anyone out there have a working crystal ball?
Gas in my area went up .25!

Latest posts

Back