Show us your tools!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a brace drill but no bits. Most likely my Dad bought it at a yard sale.
He was always buying tools at yard sales.
I have one as well, someone gave it to me years ago and I think there may be a few missing parts, I still have it around because it reminds me of the one my foster dad had when I was very young.

Yes, gasoline fired blow torch. If other fuels work I've never seen it. Fill tank, pump up pressure, lock plunger back in place, open valve until cup is almost full, close valve, ignite gasoline and let the nozzle heat up, just before flame goes out open valve and adjust burner flame. You may have to pump up pressure on startup but the burner will pressure the tank as you use it.

Good looking brace and several nice bits. I have a few of my own, love to find an adjustable one. Where did you get the Irwin set from?

Dade, what do you think about the lathe and mill from HF. I've looked at both of those in the past.
Sorry I missed your Q.

The Irwin set came from Amazon about $80. Dear price but worth it compared to spoon bits.

Ben

Sorry I missed your Q.

The Irwin set came from Amazon about $80. Dear price but worth it compared to spoon bits.

Ben
Thanks Ben. Nice looking bits. I picked up an odd bit here and there from Lowes and they work very well. Wish I had just got the set. I have been looking at these on Amazon. Wonder how they compare to the Irwin's

Thanks Ben. Nice looking bits. I picked up an odd bit here and there from Lowes and they work very well. Wish I had just got the set. I have been looking at these on Amazon. Wonder how they compare to the Irwin's

Those look great for wood craft. I like the handle idea but would probably carry an 8mpact driver and spare batteries. Match that set up with some tenon cutters... I am in buisness.

Ben

I was in the orchard today and this the tools I carry.

20220317_145451_HDR.jpg

They all pack into the holster on the left.

20220317_145747_HDR.jpg

I can use the shoulder strap on the back or strap it a backpack.

20220317_145803_HDR.jpg

Ben

I was in the orchard today and this the tools I carry.

View attachment 82590

They all pack into the holster on the left.

View attachment 82591

I can use the shoulder strap on the back or strap it a backpack.

View attachment 82592

Ben

Ok next question, where did you get the holster. Never saw one like that. I can sure see that being handy. Specially if you are out foraging. I like the saw as well. Aggressive tooth pattern similar to the folding Corona saw I got at Lowes. I bought a Silky folding saw a couple years ago. It's pretty nice, but the blade just doesn't cut as good as the Corona does

Ok next question, where did you get the holster. Never saw one like that. I can sure see that being handy. Specially if you are out foraging. I like the saw as well. Aggressive tooth pattern similar to the folding Corona saw I got at Lowes. I bought a Silky folding saw a couple years ago. It's pretty nice, but the blade just doesn't cut as good as the Corona does
I got 5he sling pack at a Mother Earth news event.
It is available at Amazon.

EZ Kut Sling Pak, Black and Green
The Samurai saw is still razor sharp and I have be careful pulling it from it's sheath.

Ben

I like the wooden block plane and the hand drill. Tap set in a wooden case is also nice.

Are the pliers like device on the left used for horse shoes?
Yes it is a black smith tool, but it was my father in law & none of his kids wanted the "junk".
I bought the shoulder drill & wooden plane dirt cheap at an auction.
I have an old pipe threader, I have had it thirty year & it is a cast iron lathe chuck you put hand threader on, it came with a lot of hand thread dies.
It is buried under a lot of other stuff, because I have not used it in years, pvc pipe is so easy.

While working in the shop today I noticed this tool. I found it in the side of the road.

Ever use one?

20220323_163442_HDR.jpg

20220323_163457_HDR.jpg

20220323_163503_HDR.jpg

20220323_163526.jpg

20220323_163534_HDR.jpg

Ben

Last edited:
Here's an old wringer that I use for fleshing muskrat pelts. Once skined I put the nose in the wringer and turn the crank. It squeezes out all the fat and grisle.
View attachment 83002
And if things got bad you could clamp it to a washtub again.

Do have to further process by scraping?

Ben

Couple of my toys

Attachments

• firewood 008.jpg
    firewood 008.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 22
  • firewood 009.jpg
    firewood 009.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
Couple of my toys
Nice lathe!

I have a Smithy which is just a toy compared to what you have. Looks like yours has a quick change gear box. I have to change belts and pulleys to change speeds. Does it have an indexing dial (?) that allows you to disengage the lead screw when cutting threads? Mine lacks that feature and I have keep the lead screw engaged.

Is that a large drill press in the other photo?

My vision of retirement (real retirement not this house remodeling stuff I am doing now) includes a good bit of time making chips. :thumbs:

Ben

Yes it has both a quick change gear box and an indexing dial, it is a world war 2 roughing lathe, I slowed the feed down to be able to make smooth cuts
The drill press is WW1 vintage and works like a dream.

Yes it has both a quick change gear box and an indexing dial, it is a world war 2 roughing lathe, I slowed the feed down to be able to make smooth cuts
The drill press is WW1 vintage and works like a dream.
When I worked in the physics labs at U of Pitt the resident machinist was proud of the machines he had assembled consisting mostly of WWII era machines. With care and maintenance they can run a good long time.

Ben

Latest posts

Back