Show us your tools!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking closer, the tip seems pretty blunt. If it was for gouging, wouldn't it be sharper? I'm starting to think maybe it's for true-ing up something round. Like maybe taking knots off of posts or something like that.

It also could be for driving in between something round and something else, to spread them apart?

Looking closer, the tip seems pretty blunt. If it was for gouging, wouldn't it be sharper? I'm starting to think maybe it's for true-ing up something round. Like maybe taking knots off of posts or something like that.

It also could be for driving in between something round and something else, to spread them apart?
Agreed.

Not knowing what it is and imagining it had a handle then asking myself " what could I use this for?"

Cutting round tenons for fence posts?
Cutting the side walls if a dug out canoe?
Cutting a mortise for timber construction where the cutter is held in position with one hand while hand beats on it?
Stripping bark from a log?

Ben

I have lots of tools. Here are some on the smaller side that I made for a project I did back in 2012. Any takers on what they are for?

View attachment 102346
The three that look the same but are gradually smaller are finger planes. The 2 with curved bottoms are for carving the inside of a violin top and bottom plates and the flat is for the outside of the plates. You shave a tiny bit at a time with these as you "tone" the plates. Violin front and back plates are tuned in 5 locations each and the top being one half tone off the bottom to help the instrument give the best sounds. The purple is a marker for scribing the rim of the plates where you inlay a thin strip that keeps the plates from cracking. The tiny chisel is to cut that groove that was scribed with the purple tool. Had to make about a dozen other tools before I could even start to build the violin.

I just had a thought...suppose it's used to put holes in wood beams? If it was sharp, it might work. Old wood structures were sometimes put together with pegs. It's my understanding that typically the holes were made by driving a hot steel rod through the wood, then letting the rod cool down enough to contract so you could remove it. Something like this would suck to use, but it would be quicker...
Peg hole are mostly drilled with a "T" auger, but it could a bowl gouge or a Mortise and tenon joints cutter.
But I have no ideal what it is.

Last edited:
Got bored . extra pic not needed..... new laptop , driving me nuts
1673647004725.png

1673647031066.png

1673647055052.png

1673647131922.png

1673647179544.png

1673647221968.png

A stone hammer was my second guess on what yours was. I picked blacksmith hammer as my first choice since the heads of both yours and mine have been so badly flattened but so equally rounded around the edges. Thought that would suggest beating steel to round out the heads like that. Yours has a big chunk out of it. Can't explain that part.

A stone hammer was my second guess on what yours was. I picked blacksmith hammer as my first choice since the heads of both yours and mine have been so badly flattened but so equally rounded around the edges. Thought that would suggest beating steel to round out the heads like that. Yours has a big chunk out of it. Can't explain that part.
doesn't have a chunk missing , its made that way . to small for the stone work i did . in the pic. that's a AA battery . I could be wrong .
Thats what I like about finding stuff with a metal detector . Some stuff doesn't have answers (yet)

I have one of them, yours looks a lot older , used mine in my stone quarry... mine isn't really old , i know i've had it at least 40yrs.
View attachment 103530
I have that cross peen hammer, but mine is only about five years old.
I bought it after buying a 1925 anvil, from a friend.

Back to the hammer. A friend of mine is both a geologist and works in industrial facilities. I showed him pictures of the hammer. Here's his response.

That looks like metal failure to me where the gouge is so damaged from use possibly in a steel mill or metal work
My best 3 guesses
1. Cross peen hammer used on metal industry for manipulation of the sheet metal like making corners and these are usually small to be agile in use

2. Old engineers hammer (train / locomotive use for repairs etc on railroad but to small in size but similar shape)

3. Old mechanics hammer (last option because of the one in photos would be very small but possibly used to adjust and work on brakes)

In my previous post "cutty things", there's a pair of these.
If you've been in the military you may recognize them. Anyone else?

View attachment 103724
Twisting safety wire. Used to ensure nuts and bolts don't come loose.

My father was a BOMARC missile tech in the air force

Ben

Latest posts

Back