Show us your tools!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found one , guess it is a hay knife (grand dad was right) pics from vintage hay knives .
1676400121604.png

1676400259768.png

?

Used to cut hay bales?

Curious

Ben
no , they were used to cut haymow? . These were used before hay bales , How exactly they were used , I don't know .
Hay bales or balers weren't invented until the late 1800's.
I have lots of tools from the 1800's this thread just prompted me to dig them out and do some research .
Spent most of my life working in old basements and barns , Most people were glad to give the stuff away .
Just went on youtube to see but their just cutting round bales with a vintage hay knife (round bales didn't start until the 70's .
I'm sure this guy would know Great grandfather
0fMBX0Q.jpg

Last edited:
no , they were used to cut haymow? . These were used before hay bales , How exactly they were used , I don't know .
Hay bales or balers weren't invented until the late 1800's.
I have lots of tools from the 1800's this thread just prompted me to dig them out and do some research .
Spent most of my life working in old basements and barns , Most people were glad to give the stuff away .
Thank you.

The edge seems to be on the wrong side of the blade.

Still curious

Ben

Thank you.

The edge seems to be on the wrong side of the blade.

Still curious

Ben
sharp edge is on the outside of the curve . If the handle is straight up (holding) sharp edge would be down for cutting in a downward motion not for standing hay ,for stacked hay . .
I'm just guessing . :D

Last edited:
Love that shave horse. I've been contemplating a design to make one myself. What woods to use, etc
Hey bacpacker, I ordered the plans through here.
http://timmanneychairmaker.blogspot.com/2017/05/shaving-horse-plans.html?m=1I would just give them to you if they were mine, but Tim makes a living from them.
Looked at a lot of different designs and a lot of folks in the Windsor chair community favors this design.
For the lumber I used construction fur 2x6 and the head and post are from hard maple. It’s light weight and so far kept inside and is pretty durable.
Nothing better than taking a draw knife to a piece of green wood! I’m kinda new at it but any questions happy to help!

Hey bacpacker, I ordered the plans through here.
http://timmanneychairmaker.blogspot.com/2017/05/shaving-horse-plans.html?m=1I would just give them to you if they were mine, but Tim makes a living from them.
Looked at a lot of different designs and a lot of folks in the Windsor chair community favors this design.
For the lumber I used construction fur 2x6 and the head and post are from hard maple. It’s light weight and so far kept inside and is pretty durable.
Nothing better than taking a draw knife to a piece of green wood! I’m kinda new at it but any questions happy to help!
I've thought about using some red oak I have. But I'd love to find a 2" slab of Popular for the seat part.
I'll take a look at the plans you linked. Might be my best bet. It'll be a good project for next winter.

View attachment 104191
Is it the same as this? Our internet is being wonky and not behaving or showing pictures. This is a hay scythe.
How weak we've become . imagine cutting a whole hay field with one of them ? then hauled and stacked lose , after its stacked and compressed , i'm guessing you would have to cut sections out with the hay knife . Just guessing again. I've used a scythe , it ain't easy .

Anyone make or invent your own tools? I've had many things I wanted to build (bamboo fly fishing rods, Violin, Violin Bow, etc.) that required special tools that were very expensive so I just made my own version of them. For the violin repair work I've done I ended up inventing a tool that was a game changer to a method of fixing cracks that had not changed for hundreds of years. Fixed a few $100,000 violins for the NC Symphony with that tool. Can't post it though as I'm working on a patent for it.

Anyone make or invent your own tools? I've had many things I wanted to build (bamboo fly fishing rods, Violin, Violin Bow, etc.) that required special tools that were very expensive so I just made my own version of them. For the violin repair work I've done I ended up inventing a tool that was a game changer to a method of fixing cracks that had not changed for hundreds of years. Fixed a few $100,000 violins for the NC Symphony with that tool. Can't post it though as I'm working on a patent for it.
Never made a fly rod, but we made Cain poles from green bamboo & let them hang till they were dry.

How weak we've become . imagine cutting a whole hay field with one of them ? then hauled and stacked lose , after its stacked and compressed , i'm guessing you would have to cut sections out with the hay knife . Just guessing again. I've used a scythe , it ain't easy .
It is my understanding there is a rhythm of swinging & stepping with a scythe.
We used a tractor run scythe mower & pick up truck to do five small acres & it took six people all week to gather & store the lose hay/weeds.

View attachment 104191
Is it the same as this? Our internet is being wonky and not behaving or showing pictures. This is a hay scythe.
I've got my dad's old one. Used it for years to keep fence rows and banks cleaned up growing up. Also used it to cut a patch of wheat I few a few years ago. I need to learn how to sharpen it properly.

The hay knife was used to cut loose hay after packing it down in shocks to store. Just cut out chunks to feed the livestock as needed.

Growing up one grand pa mowed his little acre hay field with a Farmall cub with a belly mower. After it cured, he'd drive the cub pulling an old horse drawn rake, which I rode and would dump it as it filled. Then he pulled an old truck bed converted to a trailer and we'd pitch the hay into it. Then pitch it up into the barn loft. That was a lot of work, but doing that twice a year he could feed his cow & calf thru the winter. Only had to but a few bales on some scant years. He got those from my other grandpa.

I still have the old rake. It was given to me when he passed

I've got my dad's old one. Used it for years to keep fence rows and banks cleaned up growing up. Also used it to cut a patch of wheat I few a few years ago. I need to learn how to sharpen it properly.

The hay knife was used to cut loose hay after packing it down in shocks to store. Just cut out chunks to feed the livestock as needed.

Growing up one grand pa mowed his little acre hay field with a Farmall cub with a belly mower. After it cured, he'd drive the cub pulling an old horse drawn rake, which I rode and would dump it as it filled. Then he pulled an old truck bed converted to a trailer and we'd pitch the hay into it. Then pitch it up into the barn loft. That was a lot of work, but doing that twice a year he could feed his cow & calf thru the winter. Only had to but a few bales on some scant years. He got those from my other grandpa.

I still have the old rake. It was given to me when he passed
That’s awesome! You should snap a picture or two and share 😁

That’s awesome! You should snap a picture or two and share 😁
Per Lady L's request, although not exactly what she asked for. I'll try and get the scythe another time.
Here is a couple pics of some horse drawn stuff I have. The rake was my grandpas. I used it helping him get up hay for years. Second pic shows a badly bent wheel where he hung a tree with it.
Third pic is the mowing machine. Need cut a sapling out and move it.
#4 is a cultivator

Attachments

• 20230218_163655.jpg
    20230218_163655.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230218_163713.jpg
    20230218_163713.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230218_163522.jpg
    20230218_163522.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230218_132129.jpg
    20230218_132129.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Per Lady L's request, although not exactly what she asked for. I'll try and get the scythe another time.
Here is a couple pics of some horse drawn stuff I have. The rake was my grandpas. I used it helping him get up hay for years. Second pic shows a badly bent wheel where he hung a tree with it.
Third pic is the mowing machine. Need cut a sapling out and move it.
#4 is a cultivator
Those are great! You should pull them out and grease them up and find yourself a mule 😁
Seems like I’ve used a spring rake once or twice but mostly the regular new fandangled kind. That cultivator could be handy!

I wish I had spent more time with my uncle (Dad's older brother) growing up. He worked mules all the time, wouldn't let a tractor in his tobacco patch. I've never done that.
The mower needs new knives and grease and oil and would be ready to go. The rake needs a new wheel and seat/spring arm mount, but it works. I've had a lot of butt time on that. Don't have a clue where the seat and mount went. The cultivator's handlebars are bent, but I think I could still use it. I have an old disc as well, but it's worn out. Scallops are gone on the blades, all the bearings are shot.

Those are great! You should pull them out and grease them up and find yourself a mule 😁
Seems like I’ve used a spring rake once or twice but mostly the regular new fandangled kind. That cultivator could be handy!
IMG_20230211_150022091~2.jpg

Buddy said he's staying in Texas! He's not pulling that stuff around!!

IMG_5449.jpg
IMG_5448.jpg

I have a question for y'all. I have an old grub hoe in need of a new handle. I purchased a new handle. It's one of the ones that about 3' long. Well, it's evidently made for newer (rhymes with sewer!) tools. The collar is much larger than the handle diameter. I looked on Lehman's - no luck. Does anyone know of someplace that I might get one? Or does anyone here make them? Better to find someone locally who might make one? Other?

I clean up lots of old tools , If I need a handle for an old tool I take the head with me and find something close ,might need sanding or shaving a little . You might not find an exact replacement . I'm cleaning up an old Adze right now , tough one , someone used it for a hoe .
1677780296163.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back