Songs That Bring Back Memories

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I heard this song today and it reminded me of a job I had in the late 1970s. These girls played this song all the time. And ' The Year of the Cat' and of course 'Brandy'..
I was tending bar in a strip club in Jax and NAS sailors came in and spent most of their pay on the dancers.
These were some really sad women and I was like a den mother for them helping them in withdrawals and sometimes pimp beatings. I lost several coats I put under their heads. I got the job to keep me and the kids out of street and money was good. But these girls were really messed up in so many ways.
And this was considered a nice place far as strip clubs go anyway.
I always liked the sax in this song but they put a damper on it.

This song is a good memory song. We lived in a tent for 6 months in Key Largo with my 3 kids and hubby best time of my life. Hubby worked and came home to the tent. Then we fished and swam at the beach in South Miami. Or snorkle the Gulf and Atlantic.
Get up in the morning and see the sun rise then turn around in the evening and watch it set. Neat!

This one always reminds where I started, and how important every job is:
]

Around that time, my job was cleaning warehouses before the next occupants moved in. Learned a lot of things, and still remember them. Moved forward, learned more, and then more, and that continues till the day I move to Heaven.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love:

Last edited:
@Sentry18 I know you like Billy Joel so put one up. Or you want me to dedicate one to you and the misses?

I do like Billy Joel!

Here's one. The first song my wife and I danced too on our wedding day.

I heard this song today and it reminded me of a job I had in the late 1970s.

Same song, which I haven't heard for a looooong time, but a very different memory.

Late 70's and there was a guy I hung out with that worked at a hospital. He would occasionally help himself to a tank of nitrous oxide (laughing gas). A few of us would sit around late at night and suck on a spider web of tubes he had rigged up. That sax would just float around in the air.

This one always reminds where I started, and how important every job is:

Around that time, my job was cleaning warehouses before the next occupants moved in. Learned a lot of things, and still remember them. Moved forward, learned more, and then more, and that continues till the day I move to Heaven.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love:

I do like Billy Joel!

Here's one. The first song my wife and I danced too on our wedding day.

Same song, which I haven't heard for a looooong time, but a very different memory.

Late 70's and there was a guy I hung out with that worked at a hospital. He would occasionally help himself to a tank of nitrous oxide (laughing gas). A few of us would sit around late at night and suck on a spider web of tubes he had rigged up. That sax would just float around in the air.

Dade my brother liked that song too. Nice song. It says a lot.

Sentry, good song for a wedding. Glad you like Billy.

Uncle Joe, I was wondering where you were, and I always really liked the sax in that song. I use to skate to Yakity Sax many years ago.
They had all night skates and they locked us in till morning unless a parent came to pick us up. Good times!

https://youtu.be/Zcq_xLi2NGo

Every time I hear Jerry Rafferty's "Baker Street", it reminds me of great times. I just got my divorce, and moved into a one bedroom apartment with a huge, tropical pool outside, which was always full of young college ladies. I was making great money, I was up partying with friends which seemed like all night 7 days a week, had access to a beautiful yacht owned by a friend, and illness and death with my family and friends had not happened yet.

Yep, I just went to the funeral of my next door neighbor in this apartment complex last year. I sure miss him. Getting old sucks, but sure beats the alternative!

This song seemed to also be playing before or after "Baker Street", and I hope it brings back some more memories here.

This reminds me of me and my friend in Jax taking Disco lessons in a high school gym. It was so much fun leaning Disco which was mostly ballroom steps which I already knew most of those. But we had lots of laughs and both loved to dance. Even better I met hubby Disco dancing. He ask to hold my hand, I said no holding hands leads to playing house, we still laughs about that. He chased me till I caught him.:cool::D

What does this song mean to you? It reminds me of one of my first conversations I had with my mom, who passed away just 3 years after this song was on the radio.

Havasu, Our mothers will always be with us in our memory and heart.
It reminds me of teen dances,dancing to this one below and good times with the Ventures.

I can almost see my mother playing this song on her piano. She was so talented in so many ways,she sang,danced and even played guitar occasionally. I have a Strauss CD I listen to now and then. Plus she could do a mean Jerry Lee Lewis impersonation she would stand up and have fingers flying an feet pedals rocking. Before having a family mama was at one time a night club entertainer with a great voice.

This one reminds me of a time I got mad at DH about 30 yr. ago for throwing away my album because he hated it. I was looking for it and ask him what happened to it he said, ' perhaps I threw the*&^^%@ thing away '. I bought another one but didn't play it anymore. Now he likes some of their songs.

"So Into You by Atlanta Rhythm Section.
1977. Hummingbird Grill. St. Charles Ave in New Orleans. I was working as a waitress there and that song was on the jukebox and I played it all the time lol

"So Into You by Atlanta Rhythm Section.
1977. Hummingbird Grill. St. Charles Ave in New Orleans. I was working as a waitress there and that song was on the jukebox and I played it all the time lol

Being from Atlanta I saw them a couple times in the mid to late 1070s. My 8 tracts gave out so I bought a CD with their hits on it.

Last time I tended bar was here at a little Cheers type bar about 14 yr ago. And this song played a lot on the jukebox. Hubby learned to play it but he never plays his guitar anymore.

Havasu, Our mothers will always be with us in our memory and heart.
It reminds me of teen dances,dancing to this one below and good times with the Ventures.

Wipe Out, was originally written by the Safari's. ironically, my former brother in law was a member of the original Safari's group. When this song was "built", they knew they had a hit. They went into their manager's office and told them they just made a song called "Wipe Out". Since this was the time when surf songs were popular, they provided the name to the old codger manager, and in his disgust, he laughed and said "haha wipe out?" As a tribute to the manager, they mimicked that laugh in the beginning of the song as a way to show the manager they were in fact onto something. By the way, my former brother in law played sax, so he wasn't even in any of the song. And to add insult to injury, they sold the song and the name to the more well known group for a few hundred dollars, and got out of show business.

Last edited:
Wipe Out, was originally written by the Safari's. ironically, my former brother in law was a member of the original Safari's group. When this song was "built", they knew they had a hit. They went into their manager's office and told them they just made a song called "Wipe Out". Since this was the time when surf songs were popular, they provided the name to the old codger manager, and in his disgust, he laughed and said "haha wipe out?" As a tribute to the manager, they mimicked that laugh in the beginning of the song as a way to show the manager they were in fact onto something. By the way, my former brother in law played sax, so he wasn't even in any of the song. And to add insult to injury, they sold the song and the name to the more well known group for a few hundred dollars, and got out of show business.

I liked this one too by them. I had it on 45.Maybe flip side of Wipe Out?

Great song.

Miami Vice always had good music!

Brought back memory of last night, I couldn't sleep at all. But nobody ever died from lack of sleep sooner or later your body knocks you out.

Bobby Lewis still going 55 years later with his 1961 hit. I always wonder why the audience is always almost all white in these oldie shows.

Latest posts

Back