Staying up way to late with some music.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guy from Alice in Chains wrote this for his father, who was a sniper in Viet Nam (made it through, but he was never the sane as before he went in).. Excellent song......

I listened and watched most of it VenomJ. I can't handle much of it but I have put up songs with war footage like this one below. Know lots of VNam guys going there and coming back.

I got all dramatic with my response and erased it, but here is what I remember I wrote and erased: The Vietnam War footage brings back memories to me because I was little while that was going on. When I saw the photo of the naked little girl, running and crying down the dirt road, I didn't understand what was going on. <<<That's what I wrote.
My brother would complain about the political stuff associated with the war and he and my dad would disagree about it.
If you were off to war, you will not likely remember what it felt like here during that time. It was heated, it was scary. There was Kent State. I suppose some people didn't think about it, but it seemed like it was in our faces every day, and everybody had different feelings on it I'm sure.
So now I think I understand it and I get mad. I could never spit in someone's face who was military during that time. How awful for how many? 400,000+ men and women, let alone the people "we" were warring against.
Sad, there has been a war or more than one war, for every generation to grow up remembering, for too long.
When I was younger I used to think that by the time I was an adult, there would be peace all over the earth. Surely, I would think, we would have learned how to get along better by then.
SO that's everything that runs through my mind and I don't want to run that reel.

Once again, a song I thought I was familiar with and just now as I listened to it, read the lyrics. Matches your songs from earlier I guess. I felt like I needed to hear this song in particular. Funny how that works, ain't it?

Us and them
And after all we're only ordinary men
Me and you
God only knows
It's not what we would choose to do
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat
And the lines on the map
Moved from side to side
Black and blue
And who knows which is which and who is who
Up and down
And in the end it's only round 'n round
Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
The poster bearer cried
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside
"I mean, they're not gonna kill ya, so if you give 'em a quick short, sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it? I mean he get off lightly, 'cause I would've given him a thrashing - I only hit him once! It was only a difference of opinion, but really...I mean good manners don't cost nothing do they, eh?"
Down and out
It can't be helped that there's a lot of it about
With, without
And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about?
Out of the way
It's a busy day
I've got things on my mind
For the want of the price
Of tea and a slice
The old man died
Songwriters: Roger Waters / Rick Wright

Once again, a song I thought I was familiar with and just now as I listened to it, read the lyrics. Matches your songs from earlier I guess. I felt like I needed to hear this song in particular. Funny how that works, ain't it?

Us and them
And after all we're only ordinary men
Me and you
God only knows
It's not what we would choose to do
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat
And the lines on the map
Moved from side to side
Black and blue
And who knows which is which and who is who
Up and down
And in the end it's only round 'n round
Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
The poster bearer cried
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside
"I mean, they're not gonna kill ya, so if you give 'em a quick short, sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it? I mean he get off lightly, 'cause I would've given him a thrashing - I only hit him once! It was only a difference of opinion, but really...I mean good manners don't cost nothing do they, eh?"
Down and out
It can't be helped that there's a lot of it about
With, without
And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about?
Out of the way
It's a busy day
I've got things on my mind
For the want of the price
Of tea and a slice
The old man died
Songwriters: Roger Waters / Rick Wright

I remember both of these songs. On 8 track's.
And the era too. Saw some of the worst injuries of returning vets from Nam at the VA. Still see vets from these wars today at times at dr office. Nobody would spit on any soldier in front of me and I was not for the wars at all.

Anyone who dances to this song looks like they are dancing in slow motion, because no way you can keep up with the speed of the music. Still like the beat.

Remember all of these VenomJ. :cool: You and I are the same age or within a year so same music was happening. :) We came in right after the Beatnics and WW 11 and right before the hippies Korean War and Viet Nam War .

Ol Hank Snow would have made a heck of an auctioneer. Some fast talking in that first song.

Last edited:
Lets hear it for all the boys and girls who serve us. And let the kneeler's go to a third world where they belong.

Back