Survival or Eotwawki Movies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would read the middle two books before...thats because i dont know details of book 4. theres probably elements to it you need some background on to grasp all of the story..maybe..maybe not. i think so.

the 2 and 3 books are not bad per say it just elements of story are not my cup of tea. things brought up in it are for story and certain things i know of area were overlooked as i mentioned in other post. sorry to be vague but not open to point certain things out. they are worth the read...i am over critical of things at times.

maybe go read reviews for each book and not series to get a better feel and broader view than just my simplified view.

all these books have a place in my library and the 4th will too. they will never be thrown out by any means.
thank you.

Thanks for posting all of these. I have seen maybe half, but I really enjoy the genre. I will look them up.

RED is one of my favorite movies. I love the John Malkovich character. I have seen the sequel, but it was not nearly as good IMHO.

I have read, and I believe I have a copy of One Second After, but not the others.

after doing more research into emp and seeing guys do testing of simulated emp on solar i believe emp is not going to effect everything and its going to depend on location and source. much research does NOT take into consideration deflection effects especially in case of terrain.
Here is a quite technical paper on the Strategic Threats pertaining to EMP:

It is worth noting that more and more information has gradually come out about EMP weapons.

Most people can access information about the Starfish Prime nuclear test that started our awareness of EMP effects.....but that was in the early 1960s and here we are 60 years later.

At the end of the cold war, there was a short time when former Soviet scientists were allowed to talk about their research on EMP weapons, and it was clear they had done a lot of work on making EMP weapons much more effective.

The paper discusses the development of EMP and then Super/Enhanced EMP weapons, and what the later means about EMP protection.

The purpose of Super EMP weapons would be to fry electronics in hardened, very well protected, deeply buried military command and control facilities (like Cheyenne Mountain in CS) as part of a first strike to degrade response capabilities.

Much of what is discussed about EMP effects on discussion forums applies to EMP weapons as they were sixty years ago.......but the much greater output of Super EMP weapons is generally not considered.

If Super EMP weapons are deployed in some future attack, it is reasonable to assess that the damage done by those weapons will be much greater than people expect based upon much lower EMP yields and associated testing.

Attachments

• AD1097009.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
When I watch these I try to find a few nuggets that I might incorporate into my preps, and probably critique them more than I should knowing it is Hollywood, and they are trying to make things exciting no matter how implausible it might be.

When I watched Goodbye World the first thing that came to mind was you better be armed. All the preps in the world will not help you if someone can come in and take them away from you. How did it end up? With a gun.

I tried to watch Right at Your Door, but, I'm sorry, it just lost me. This was set in Los Angeles, the epicenter for earthquakes. They don't have a plan for SHTF? First the guy races out of the house with nothing but the shirt on his back to save his wife. My first thought was you should have a plan, meeting places, supplies, a grab bag, etc. He is beside himself the whole time. He goes back home and eventually seals up the house, and when his wife finds her way home he won't let her in? Sorry, that is beyond stupid. I turned it off. Who cares if it is a dirty bomb. You decontaminate outside and go back inside. Use the garden hose, and strip in the yard. Bury your clothes later. Decontaminate again in the house. Leaving her outside was so implausible I just couldn't watch anymore. Just my 2 cents.

Some things the Doom and Gloom stories and books don't really consider is the adaptablilty of man. Yes, I know that some will die in their mom and dads basement clutching their joystick. But, there are still many of us 'middle aged' people out there who remember how it used to be, and it wasn't all that bad. Yes, we had power and indoor plumbing, but we also spent the vast majority of our days outdoors.....doing stuff. We didn't expect or want uncle Sam to solve our problems. The simple life wasn't so bad, even though we did have modern day luxuries like power.

It made me think though.....am I prepared for a 2 year power outage? Honestly, I'm really not sure. But I do think I have the basics covered. It sure wouldn't be fun, but I think it would be doable. How about a 5 year outage? I'm truly not sure. A lot of things in this world would certainly have changed in that period of time, so I guess it would depend on where we were as a nation after 2 years of no power. If security wasn't a major concern and we had our close friends and neighbors all working together, then I think we'd be OK. Sometimes the worst of times brings out the best in people. I wouldn't depend on it, but that is a possibility.
For me, my main EMP concern is not a lack of electricity at my place. I think you are right that we would adapt. My main EMP concerns are these:
  • First: A lack of potable water at our taps. Our water system requires electricity to filter and circulate our water to our taps.
  • Second: A lack of operational vehicles delivering food and supplies around the country (if an EMP is strong enough to effect trucks).
  • Third: A lack of electricity at hospitals
My EMP prepping never worried about generating electricity at my house. I planned on adapting to life without electricity. But, the first concern above (water) is a major power concern.

Last edited:
For me, my main EMP concern is not a lack of electricity at my house.
Agreed.

An EMP that kills the grid for a long time is a very severe, nation wide crisis. My main concern in one of those would be the lack of electricity at everyone else's house - they are all going to go nuts and do anything to get what they now desperately need.

I think you are right that we would adapt.
Maybe you can adapt to no electricity - but can you adapt to about 300 million others who are unprepared, being willing to kill you for water or a can of beans or your generator or .................just whatever you might have?

My main EMP concerns are these:
  • First: A lack of potable water at our taps. Our water system requires electricity to filter and circulate our water to our taps.
  • Second: A lack of operational vehicles delivering food and supplies around the country (if an EMP is strong enough to effect trucks).
  • Third: A lack of electricity at hospitals
In very severe crises, people are the main concern. Survivalists often put water first in their list - but a bullet kills you quicker than thirst - so security should really be first

My EMP prepping never worried about generating electricity at my house.
If your house is hooked up to mains water, then your house is probably located in an unsurvivable place to stay.

I planned on adapting to life without electricity.
For the first decade or more, I will not be going without electricity - it provides too many useful, labor saving enhancements to survival capabilities. I just won't be using it anywhere near other people or to provide light that attracts desperate people like moths.

But, the first concern above (water) is a major power concern.

Agreed - after security, water is probably next..........but many think they can survive a very severe crisis in places where mains water is currently supplied - when they most likely cannot.

Maybe you can adapt to no electricity - but can you adapt to about 300 million others who are unprepared, being willing to kill you for water or a can of beans or your generator or .................just whatever you might have?
Yeah, I'm not worried about my electricity. I'm worried about water (for me) and everyone not having food (because of the risk that trucks might stop running).
In very severe crises, people are the main concern. Survivalists often put water first in their list - but a bullet kills you quicker than thirst - so security should really be first
Very easy problem to solve. If you don't have water, and you don't have a gun...buying a gun and bullets (and taking other security precautions) is much easier than having enough water for a year.
[A]fter security, water is probably next..........but many think they can survive a very severe crisis in places where mains water is currently supplied - when they most likely cannot.
Yes, this is my biggest concern. I live in the far edge of a suburb...a slave to my tap when it comes to water. I've stored water, so I won't go in the first week. But, a year without tap water....

if people cannot live without electricity and most cannot they wont be alive for long after the grid goes down.
clean water is the first thing to worry about, humans can live for 3 or 4 days without any water maybe less depending on what they are doing and what the weather is, cold or hot would affect the survival.
food is less urgent but try telling that to people who are used to eating regularly.

if people cannot live without electricity and most cannot they wont be alive for long after the grid goes down.
clean water is the first thing to worry about...

..Agreed, but.. After you've the Means and the Practice to Protect that Water - and whatever Else it is you've stocked up.. 🤔

I was gonna start a whole thread on this, but.. Perhaps not necessary.. (see below) Certainly does seem that a 'Total Grid-Down' situ, as a "SHTF" / EOTWAWKI-Event (regardless of "cause") is both a) still a Very Possible / Probable event, and b) Most-certainly will spawn / 'cascade' into Other Life / Property-threatening situs (ie: Fires..) that will, in-and-of-themselves, Demand and put to the test, every ounce of 'Preps and Skills' one has accumulated..

ie: Recently watched 'American Blackout' (though it was from 2013..) and for any who've not seen it, here 'tis / Op to comment on 'Lessons to take away':

(there was also a 'British Blackout', but.. Not linking to it, as I've little interest in watching that one..) Plot is essentially the same in each movie. "Cyberattacks" take down the ENTIRE National grid. Starts in the East, but quickly cascades into no power anywhere in the Country except for emergency gennies, and with limited fuel supplies / no 'resupply'..

My .02 / takeaways:

- Not gonna even Bother to comment on all the Obvious-Fail examples (all the clueless, 'vlogging' train-wrecks of the Wholly Unprepared / feelings-ruled, etc portrayed, therein - Those 'glaring lessons' should be pretty well self-evident..) But, rather, want to focus My 'eval', at least, on the One "Prepped Family" cameo, there...

- Even this "Prepped Dad" - as much as he deserved 'kudos' for what he Did do - Which, while it was 9-levels sbove 99% of everyone Else portrayed therein.. Imo, he Still showed a grave (and nearly Fatal..) Lack of forethought, planning, and - 'deeper-level prepping', and by that I mean: His 'MAG' - the Family - wasn't as Nearly 'on board' / up to speed with it all, as they Should have been.. ie:

- First of all, he clearly didn't spend Enough time getting #1 Daughter to Think Deeper about her Own choices in life, as, while even though she Should-have 'free will To make her own choices' - Obviously she didn't 'choose wisely' (even having that milktoast soy-boy queef of a "Boyfriend", there :rolleyes: Imo, a Properly Father (and Mother)-guided Daughter would have Never even Been with such a wasteoid, in the First place (which, would have prevented 'what happened', at All, if he was just never even In the picture..)

- Second (and, to be Fair to those who Do 'Home-educate Well', but despite all Best-efforts / training, the kids make 'lousy decisions', Anyway, ie: Drugs, associates, BF/GFs etc, etc..) Let's just 'allow' the BF, there.. Regardless if he was Daughters 'love interest' - if they ain't Married / he's "Family" - He simply, Flat Out, in NO Way should have been Allowed to Go / be Part of that 'MAG'.. If I had been Hank Sr., the Very Most I'd have offered would have been 'Jas, where can I drop ya on our way out?' End of discussion, Period.

..And I would have made it Clear to Young Lady there, that if She 'betrays the Code' (by, say, letting the BF know the 'location of the BOL', etc) that If He / anyone Else of his just 'happens to Show Up' - That they would Unequivocally be treated / handled like Any Other Trespassers, Period.

- Third, while his 'bunker' / Safe Room / 'sacrificial pantry idea' / 360˚, grid-independent security-cam set up, there / Clearly plentiful stocks of Propane, Water, LTS Food, etc, etc - Were all very commendable efforts.. He seemed to Still lack key 'foresight' in the areas of:

- Truly-sufficient (and suppressed) armaments to Protect adequately, and Training for the others.. ie:

..Instead of having to convince the Wife / Son, etc (when it became time to 'deal' with the land-intruders (more on That betrayal, in a moment..🤬) to 'Wait for me here, Don't come up!' - They should have been PART of the 'intruder-clearing Operation' - in Some way.. ie:

- Wife / Daughter on Comms with Dad (and Son, see below) letting him know Where the BGs were coming from / anyone on his 'flanks' / rear, etc

- #1 Son - Clearly old enough to be Proficient with at Least a suppressed, scoped .22 - who could have Also been 'covering Dad's flank / rear', from cover - which would have taken Adequate Training Time - and - 'conditioning' - Ergo: Yes, the kid really Would 'pull the trigger', if/when need be.

..That 'Leader Intruder' (the 'David-Crosby-lookin begging neighbor') should Never have even gotten Close to Dad, with that knife, To threaten him.. Hank Jr should have ventilated his skull the Second he started towards Dad - who, Also Failed with his Entire approach.. (more below) Hank Jr could have Also helped mitigate that situ - So that - the waify 'Jason' would have Never been 'relied on', for Anything..

- In Fact, that was Another area Dad failed: Once 'Jason' betrayed the Family by pulling that little 'nighttime Giveaway' stunt.. He should have been Hog-food, Right Then and There, Period.

..Yeah, some may say: 'Harsh! Cruel! Immoral! Now (that the power came back on) Dad would have to be 'dealing with the consequences of that shoot!' Maybe. But a) No one at that point, could Know 'How Long this was all gonna Last', and b) that's Irrelevant to his betrayal / jepordizing EVERYONE - including himself - by what he did. There should NEVER have been a 'IF you ever Do that again!' Opportunity-given, just Nope.

- Same goes for those Intruders. The 'Warning' was Already given - Directly, and Clearly - to the 'begging neighbor', who obviously was the one who Org'd the raider-posse. He should have been found / ventilated, Immediately, and then the rest of 'em should ALL have been SOS, suppressed, from cover, by Dad - and the Minute he came outside from the bunker, Period. ' Zombies' (the predatory unprepared) Cannot be negotiated, nor 'reasoned with' - Period.

- Dad also failed to make sure the Fuel / Other critical LTS stocks were Not 'discoverable' (that was, apparently, Why the raider-posse came back - they realized / discovered 'there's More than meets the eye, here', and Came Back.. Which Nearly cost Dad his life..

- And, while a Lot of the 'how things would Go' was fairly realistic / buyable, Personally, I'd bet things would break down much Faster than this.. At least in Some areas.. (Chitcago, Lost Angeles, NYChitty, Portlandia, etc, etc.. All the places we're seeing the 'daylight smash-n-grabs' / Walmart-Walkouts, etc... even Now.. o_O

- Also, if 'Transformers were blowing up All over the place', yah.. No chance this would all have been resolved / back up 'Miraculously' in under 2 weeks :rolleyes: But hey - a 'Budget is a budget'.. ;)

Also, didn't really care for having to watch that much of the 'Purple-Lipped Fly-Catcher' again, tho... :rolleyes: And, heh.. Looks like even Brandon got a 'cameo'..

Lieden-3524.png
;) Looks like im, anyway.. 'bout 35:24-in, something like that.. Prolly standing in line hoping this is the day they're rationing-out 8 yo blond girls.. :rolleyes: 🤬

Regardless of 'what / why'.... Something like This Is a Comin! "..like a thief in the night..." 🤔 NOW is the Time to Prep - but Also 'think Deeper' - Examine Your 'plans' for flaws / exploits / weak-links in yer chains, etc.. Plug those 'holes' - Now - and Keep everything Topped up as Best ya can manage, While we all still Can get stuff ...And keep those Lips Zipped!! :cool:

For those that watched (or, will-watch) What did You 'take away'? 🤔 Good 'mental exercise', if nothing else.. :cool:

jd

Last edited:
.........o_O

- Also, if 'Transformers were blowing up All over the place', yah.. No chance this would all have been resolved / back up 'Miraculously' in under 2 weeks :rolleyes: But hey - a 'Budget is a budget'.. ;)

For those that watched (or, will-watch) What did You 'take away'? 🤔 Good 'mental exercise', if nothing else.. :cool:

jd
The ending makes the whole thing a cop out.

Those with normalcy bias will just take away the unrealistic assessment that (even for a severe crisis) they just need to last two weeks..........and "make sure you don't do anything you might regret later.........."

Really?

I love my damn lists:
Zardoz
the Matrix
a boy and his dog.
ARK II
Babylon AD
Captain Power
Dark Metropolis
Doomsday
Dr. Strangelove
Escape from New York
Escape from L.A
Freelands (you tube fan film)
Hardware
Jericho
Mad God
Mad Max in all his incarnations.
Neon City
No blade of Grass.
Letters from a dead man
Roadside lunch (STALKER)
Soylent Green
The book of Eli
The Road
The divide (This one is an emotional gut punch!)
the postman.
V for vendetta
Water world
Where have all the people gone
After the apocalypse
HUNGER
aftershock
automata
atomic apocalypse
the stand
Red dawn (the real one, the remake chugged chimps!)
Singularity.
Six string samurai
Smoke em if you got em
steel frontier.
All the Terminator series.
Survivor
def con 4
the day after
threads
The man in the woods
the day after
warlords of the 21st century
world gone wild
zone drifter

I've heard that Germany used to be that way but not anymore.
It still is (mostly). Unfortunately they allowed too much immigration from less than desirable countries and are paying the price.

Reactions: Neb
The ending makes the whole thing a cop out.

Aye, I saw it all more like 'Everything NOT to do, all Across the board - including - the "Prepper Family"... 'Course, as you say, very few people out there, these days, will be Astute enough to 'take it that way', and conclude just as you have ('Oh gosh, that was Terrible.. Oh well, we'll just buy 4x more "72 hr Bug Out Bags" and we'll be peachy!' :rolleyes:

There are just gonna be SO many dead people, man.. Gotta keep the brain conditioned Accepting / scarring that over, Now.. o_O

jd

A few weeks ago I ran across a theatrical released movie from 1983 called Testament. It’s about a small town outside of San Francisco and focuses on one family after a nuclear bombs fall on major cities without advanced warning.

It doesn’t have any special effects, just the story of how no one knows what’s going on, no way to tell if there is radioactive fallout and the consequences of all of that. They do have a Ham Radio operator in town so they are able to get some limited news.

It is one of the most depressing movies I’ve seen on the subject.

Latest posts

Back