Tis a tough season for Some People

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I once had two students, siblings whose mother was always hospitalized around this time of year for depression. I didn't know her story, just knew her situation was serious enough to land her in the hospital.

I've had two different cousins, from different sides of my family, posting about their sadness for this season without loved ones. One cousin posted about the loss of her older sister who died from cancer a few years ago, but also her parents and three of her siblings. Parents were in their 90's, but siblings were 19, 55, 57 and 61.

Another cousin has lost her sister at the age of 22, brother at 62, sister at 69 and both parents.

Both of these women are divorced with grown children and grandchildren.

Prayers go out to them, and all who suffer from depression, especially at this time of year. I hope they can find solace in something in their life.

wife gets a touch of S.A.D.(seasonally afflicted disorder) sometimes known as " cabin fever", she dosent like having to stay indoors because of the weather or illness or whatever , she is a social person, me-I'm a home body I dont care if I never see another human being as long as I live.

As I was driving past some neighbors houses I told my wife this has to be a very difficult time for the women that live there.
Their husbands have died recently and now their wives are left mostly alone during the holidays.
I knew the men but I don't know the women well enough to really help them.
A plate of cookies or a premade meal is always something anyone can do.

Life can be hard for some people at times. Our kids can't come down for Christmas this year. They have other things to do. During winter we can't be gone from here for more than a few hours. The livestock needs feed and water.
My parents are gone now and we don't have any friends or family left around here to visit. That's just the way life is. We never let the weather keep us housebound. The chores still need to be done no matter what. Sometimes a big storm can leave us snowed in for a couple weeks at a time. Last winter it was for 6 weeks.
We're too busy to let anything get us down. Plus we always look at the positive side of everything.
A couple years ago someone dropped off some Christmas cookies in our mailbox. That was really nice of them and really made our day.

We do that in our neighborhood...neighbors drop off goodies, and say hello. I enjoy doing it, too. Last year was banana bread that we gave out.
This time of year is so hard for those on their own. I called my favorite cousin this afternoon while waiting for husband's infusion. Her daughter answered, and I couldn't figure out why...my favorite cousin's husband is not expected to last the next few days. Hospice had just left and would be back in the morning. Half of their kids are just coming in, the other half over the weekend...they had 8 kids, and the families...alot of people. This is going to be so hard on her. I am thankful that they live in the little house next to the big house where her daughter and family live. I'll go by there tomorrow to give her a hug. Deaths right before Christmas are very hard.

This time of year is hard on everyone who has lost someone this time of year. But it's also hard on anyone who's lost someone in the past year (especially spouse, sibling, or child) and has never had to experience the holidays without their loved one. It might be even more difficult for those who lost loved ones earlier in the year b/c they get forgotten this time of year. Spending time alone and having a meal with nobody, or making treats for nobody, or sending cards to nobody, or sitting by a holiday fire next to nobody......those are the moments where it really sets in. Add in SAD for this time of year and it can really be a challenge. Give lots of LOVE to those that you think might be in this situation. The holidays can be filled with such sadness.:(

ever notice all the standard music around this time of year is sad or has sad sounding rhythm whatever etc you call it.......no wonder people get down..just another reason besides ones stated above...i refuse to listen to that sad crapola...life is to short...

I don't do mourning. I celebrate the good times and memories with the people I have lost. I refuse to view open caskets as I don't want that as my last memory of a lost person. Celebrate their life and memories.

Celebrate life and memories...
== ==
That is what I hope for... Someone one to speak up starting with a chuckle and then saying something like ...you likely never heard about this, but one time we.... fill in the blank...

Latest posts

Back