Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is one set to failure?
Failure is when you do a set of repetitions of any lift, to the point where your muscles are so fatigued that you can't possibly do another repetition. So, when I did reverse lunges, I did them until I physically couldn't make my legs lift me out of the lunge position.

Normally when lifting I will do 3 or 4 sets, with 8 to maybe 15 repetitions in each set. The goal is to reach complete failure on the last rep of the last set. Like if I was deadlifting 3 sets of 8 reps each, once I can do 3 sets of 8 I would add 5 or 10 pounds, or I would start trying to do 3 sets of 9 reps, to keep making it harder so my muscles have a stimulus to keep getting stronger.

Failure is when you do a set of repetitions of any lift, to the point where your muscles are so fatigued that you can't possibly do another repetition. So, when I did reverse lunges, I did them until I physically couldn't make my legs lift me out of the lunge position.

Normally when lifting I will do 3 or 4 sets, with 8 to maybe 15 repetitions in each set. The goal is to reach complete failure on the last rep of the last set. Like if I was deadlifting 3 sets of 8 reps each, once I can do 3 sets of 8 I would add 5 or 10 pounds, or I would start trying to do 3 sets of 9 reps, to keep making it harder so my muscles have a stimulus to keep getting stronger.
So like some mornings trying to get out of bed 😉😂

Ran, same - day 4

I am now a solid size 12 in clothing.
Tops and pants.
Sliding down the weight scale towards 145 pounds.
Will weight in next week along with labs.
Was in size 22 in the past tops and pants.
Can wear some size 10 pants.
And am able to breathe normally too,
Riding recumbent bike several times a day.
Eating on a schedule due to medication schedule.
Sleeping on a similar schedule.
Portion control

This past summer was the summer of bicycling for me. Haven’t tallied up the total miles yet, but I was training for a 200 and 100 mile race. My father passed about 1 1/2 weeks before the race so I had to DNS. I was pounding out century rides getting ready and was happy that a 63 yr old powerlifting body was able to amp it up. Now I’m training for a 50k winter ultra run in Feb. and possibly a strongman competition. A couple minor surgeries will delay me a bit, but I can train around a lot of it.

I only share this stuff because I wish that I would have learned it myself earlier...

Since adopting (near) keto diet in January, my strength has increased so much that I thought it necessary to buy more weights.

"insulin blocks natural testosterone! And so, indirectly, consuming carbs inhibits all them great effects of testosterone."

But, I digress, After stating one more natural testosterone tip: keep your high intensity work outs less than 45 minutes. Because after that duration, your natural testosterone production drops off of a cliff?

So I was shopping for more weight when I discovered "3M". The Mike Metzger Method. Or (near) 3M so not to offend a zealot?

It's concentrating on negatives, taking four to six seconds to lower the weight. Incredibly high intensity and long muscle contractions. So much so that I'm dizzy and fatigued between sets requiring longer recovery and novel method to recover just between sets. No way I need to purchase more weight now!

I only share this stuff because I wish that I would have learned it myself earlier...

Since adopting (near) keto diet in January, my strength has increased so much that I thought it necessary to buy more weights.

"insulin blocks natural testosterone! And so, indirectly, consuming carbs inhibits all them great effects of testosterone."

But, I digress, After stating one more natural testosterone tip: keep your high intensity work outs less than 45 minutes. Because after that duration, your natural testosterone production drops off of a cliff?

So I was shopping for more weight when I discovered "3M". The Mike Metzger Method. Or (near) 3M so not to offend a zealot?

It's concentrating on negatives, taking four to six seconds to lower the weight. Incredibly high intensity and long muscle contractions. So much so that I'm dizzy and fatigued between sets requiring longer recovery and novel method to recover just between sets. No way I need to purchase more weight now!
Insulin does not block testosterone. Professional bodybuilders use insulin in concert with HGH and steroids to increase muscle mass. It is a potent muscle builder in those circumstances. Testosterone does increase insulin sensitivity though.

As a Type 1 diabetic, I'm starting to tire of the misconceptions about insulin. I've read things on HCL like, "It's a stress hormone", or "It causes weight gain". Those things aren't true. But some things are true. The keto diet does cause weight loss by reducing the number of calories consumed via eating carb rich foods. Weight loss reduces insulin resistance. Insulin resistance and testosterone have a two way relationship - when one goes up, the other tends to go down. There's no magic to insulin either way. Any diet guru or medical personnel stating otherwise can immediately be dismissed as spurious at best.

I was diagnosed as diabetic back in January. And fatty liver disease. And high cholesterol. I've been on a deep dive ever since. I've taken zero pharmaceutical medicine. My A1c is now normal. My fatty liver is gone. My triglycerides are back to normal.

There's thousands of people like me who share their experiences in social media. When it's not censored. It's a shame that you have to search and filter for the truth?

Be careful about what you think you know? My doctor was trained in the latest nutritional medical advice and has the student loans to prove it. If he had his way, I'd still be eating copius amounts of carbs and avoiding all dietary fat. And I'd be swallowing statins and metaphor min for the rest of my life!

Metabolic health is highly controversial and confusing. I believe that is by design. Confusing causation and correlation keeps the masses dependent on the pharmaceutical. Keep learning and keep improving?

I was diagnosed as diabetic back in January. And fatty liver disease. And high cholesterol. I've been on a deep dive ever since. I've taken zero pharmaceutical medicine. My A1c is now normal. My fatty liver is gone. My triglycerides are back to normal.

There's thousands of people like me who share their experiences in social media. When it's not censored. It's a shame that you have to search and filter for the truth?

Be careful about what you think you know? My doctor was trained in the latest nutritional medical advice and has the student loans to prove it. If he had his way, I'd still be eating copius amounts of carbs and avoiding all dietary fat. And I'd be swallowing statins and metaphor min for the rest of my life!

Metabolic health is highly controversial and confusing. I believe that is by design. Confusing causation and correlation keeps the masses dependent on the pharmaceutical. Keep learning and keep improving?
I don't understand why your doctor would have you eating a lot of carbs. Doctors 100 years ago knew that lower carb diets were good for both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. It's in old medical literature from before the discovery of artificial insulin. The stupid misconception that diabetes is all about "sugar" keeps setting us back when it comes to the public's knowledge of diabetes. The body doesn't know the difference between a banana, a potato, a bowl of rice, or a bowl of vanilla ice cream. They all have roughly the same amount of carbs. But "bananas are healthy" and "ice cream has sugar but potatoes and rice dont" so nobody has any idea what to eat.

The keto diet works well for Type 2 because the great reduction in carbs keeps blood glucose spikes to a minimum and the great reduction in consumed calories combined with high protein intake promotes healthy weight loss. Weight loss combined with increased physical activity is the proper treatment for Type 2 diabetes. There are some who will always need Metformin or other pharmaceuticals even though they exercise a lot and have their weight at optimal levels. Insulin resistance is always different for every person.

The Keto diet can be dangerous for Type 1 diabetics, for reasons that would take an entirely different post to explain. But with automated insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors, some Type 1s can and do successfully use the keto diet with good results. I do not, because I don't use a pump. I maintain my A1c from 5.7 to 6.2, which is outstanding for a Type 1, with a time in range of 80+% (70 to 180 mg/dl). Keto isn't necessary for me but controlling my carbs and more importantly knowing exactly how many carbs are in every bite of food I put in my mouth, are absolutely necessary. The amount of carbs consumed is how I know how much insulin to take.

I don't understand why your doctor would have you eating a lot of carbs. Doctors 100 years ago knew that lower carb diets were good for both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. It's in old medical literature from before the discovery of artificial insulin. The stupid misconception that diabetes is all about "sugar" keeps setting us back when it comes to the public's knowledge of diabetes. The body doesn't know the difference between a banana, a potato, a bowl of rice, or a bowl of vanilla ice cream. They all have roughly the same amount of carbs. But "bananas are healthy" and "ice cream has sugar but potatoes and rice dont" so nobody has any idea what to eat.

The keto diet works well for Type 2 because the great reduction in carbs keeps blood glucose spikes to a minimum and the great reduction in consumed calories combined with high protein intake promotes healthy weight loss. Weight loss combined with increased physical activity is the proper treatment for Type 2 diabetes. There are some who will always need Metformin or other pharmaceuticals even though they exercise a lot and have their weight at optimal levels. Insulin resistance is always different for every person.

The Keto diet can be dangerous for Type 1 diabetics, for reasons that would take an entirely different post to explain. But with automated insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors, some Type 1s can and do successfully use the keto diet with good results. I do not, because I don't use a pump. I maintain my A1c from 5.7 to 6.2, which is outstanding for a Type 1, with a time in range of 80+% (70 to 180 mg/dl). Keto isn't necessary for me but controlling my carbs and more importantly knowing exactly how many carbs are in every bite of food I put in my mouth, are absolutely necessary. The amount of carbs consumed is how I know how much insulin to take.
Thanks for sharing your situation. Have you realized difference in your testosterone, or feeling pumped days based on your metrics?

I suppose it's complicating that there are so many variables with people, environment, history, genetics, lifestyle, and other variables that I can't even think about. It's been an argument in science, particularly epidemiology the significance of randomized controlled case studies and observational studies?

I was employed by a leading sports nutrition industry. We were privy to some university level classes about nutritional science. The greatest mantra was low fat and high carb. The opposition that promoted high fat and low carb was ridiculed. We expected that long term they would suffer from cardiac distress. Then, suddenly one of our own died of a massive heart attack on a training run.

It didn't occur to me that I was following the wrong advice until my blood work went astray. I felt betrayed by the establishment and medical profession. But in the rural area I live there are not many choices. It seems more important than ever to take control of our own choices? To differentiate the data? And it can be difficult to figure out how to measure what you want to manage?

These past ten months of progressively improving my keto diet and intermittent fasting have drastically improved many of my numbers. Including, and back to this post, my regular weight lifting. I had accepted the plateau I was on the past twenty years. Satisfied to maintain. At least not losing? Because I am getting older after all. But I feel like lifting heavy almost every day! I never seen this outside of the body building gym that I worked part time during college. And that was definitely attributed to the popular performance enhancing (illegal) substances?

My testosterone levels are at the lower end of normal for my age. I have no reference for what they were before my diagnosis, because I was diagnosed at age 15 and testosterone levels aren't a great concern in that situation. I first had my levels checked at age 48, and they have been consistent.

I'm not a believer in low fat high carb, or in the opposite. I believe in a balance. Not all diets work for all people. When I tried Keto I felt awful, I was always hungry, and it was difficult to control my BG levels. But, Keto has its place. The Med diet does as well. Low or lowered carb diets are good for all types of diabetics because increases in carbs increase blood glucose levels. American medicine has a problem concerning diabetes because there are no standards of education. If you consult 10 doctors, you'll likely get 10 different care plans. And there is confusion among doctors concerning Type 1 and Type 2. Some doctors are 30 years behind the times when it comes to Type 1. Some don't even know the difference between the two, or the subsets of T1 like MODY or LADA. The amount of T1s who are misdiagnosed as T2 and put on Metformin is staggering. They're usually not correctly treated until they are near death. And some doctors don't know how to advise a T2 for food, like @FarmOR doctor. It's a healthcare crap show.

I could go on and on about this, and all the diet myths and misconceptions surrounding both forms of Diabetes and about insulin. I get quite passionate, because I require insulin simply to stay alive. I'd be dead in 3 days without it. However, it's late, and it's a discussion for another time when I feel more mentally sharp.

As for fitness and workouts, I hit the gym this afternoon.

Bench press 4x8, but failing after the 5th rep of set 4.

Hex bar squat 3x8, with 1 set of dumbbell sumo squats and one set of Goblet box squats to warm up for it.

Wide grip lat pulldown, superset with face pulls 3x8. (I won't superset these again, it's too much work for my biceps to handle both exercises back to back and it hindered my last set of both.)

Barbell Overhead press 3x8. This one actually felt really good. I had to push press the last rep of the last set.

Last edited:
I forgot to post my Sunday workout, which was Bench Press, trap bar deadlift, and wide grip lat pulldowns. I pulled something in my rib cage recently and it's been bothering me so I didn't go heavy at all.

I got signed up at Anytime Fitness so I'll be able to work out all over the country when I'm traveling. I stopped at the one in the next town over on my way home from work tonight and did legs.

Deadlift 3x8
Leg press 1x11, 1x9, 1x8
Rack pulls 3x8
Goblet box squats 3x8

I've been in the gym since my last log entry, but I forgot to log it so I'm starting over for 2024. My girlfriend is an ACE certified trainer, she exercises every single day, and we went to the gym together for New year's day. I did 7 miles on the recumbent bike in 31 minutes, and 10 more minutes on the treadmill at an easy 3.8mph pace for 40 total minutes of cardio.

I'm done, but she's still on the AMT machine. She's done it over an hour now and she's still going strong. But, she does that every day so it's nothing to her. I've got a long way to go to catch up...

Due to work commitments I haven't been in the gym for a couple weeks. I had a lot of 12 hour days at work. Shoveling snow out of railroad switches and chopping ice out of railroad crossings has been my workouts lately. But today I went to Anytime with my girlfriend and hit some cardio. 15 minutes on the bike at 13mph with resistance level 7. Then, 20 minutes on the treadmill walking at 4mph, with 3 90 second bursts of 7 mph.

I tried to do some push lifts but my shoulders weren't having it. I did 3 sets of dumbbell incline presses and two sets of barbell overhead presses, and then my left shoulder told me to F off. I guess I'll try again in a few days...

Hit the gym this evening. My little hometown gym just got a used PreCor AMT machine. My girlfriend is a certified trainer and she uses an AMT for an hour each day, and says it's one of the best machines for not impacting your joints. So I thought I'd give it a shot. It is like a combo of a stair stepper and an elliptical. If you use short strides it's a vertical motion and if you use long strides it becomes circular. I did 15 minutes and worked up a good sweat. Then I did 5 miles in 17 minutes on the recumbent with the resistance cranked to 11. That was a good sweat too. It was one of the best workouts I've had in a long time.

Woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep, so I went to the gym. I had to be up before 4am so it was not that big a deal. I hit legs again.

Elliptical warm up
1 set goblet squats for warm up
Ramped up leg presses from 230 x5 , 270x4, 320x4, 360x4, and finished with 410x3. That's what I recall being able to do when I was a kid so I was happy with it. After the set of 410 I dropped back to 360 and did 3x6
Romanian deadlift 3x8
Leg extension 3x9
Glute machine 3x12

Latest posts

Back