Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from Gym.. with my 2 runs earlier this week this gives me a thirs for the week.. Lets see if I can get off the couch tomorrow for a 4th.
I can tell a big difference in my performance in both my runs and in the gym from having not done it for 2.5 weeks when I had bronchitis.

Did a short ride today. 6.01 miles in 31 minutes. Average speed, 11.8mph. I think I'll wait a bit before trying another ride of more than 10 miles, my body just isn't ready yet. I'll try to bring my average speed up, rather than lengthen the ride. When I can regularly do 10 miles at a speed greater than 11.5 mph, and not feel torched at the end, maybe I'll stretch the distance. I think I kind of forgot I'm still a middle aged fat guy. Although I'm down 7 pounds since I started riding, three weeks ago. 251 then, 244 now...

I been slacking a bit last week only 2 runs
So far this week 2 runs but tommorrow it will be easy to find time for an iron pump so it will get me to the minimum workouts of 3 / week.
The goal of 4 is still possible if I can get off the couch on Sunday.
PS: Am at 60 beats/min sitting here thinking of cute cats (to relax me for an accurate reading)

Boy! I'm probably not that asleep!

Just got back from Gym.. with my 2 runs earlier this week this gives me a thirs for the week.. Lets see if I can get off the couch tomorrow for a 4th.
I can tell a big difference in my performance in both my runs and in the gym from having not done it for 2.5 weeks when I had bronchitis.
@BlueZ how far are your runs, and how old are you, if it's ok to ask...just curious about conditioning and age, since you seem to take it seriously...

9.58 miles, avg speed 10.45 mph. My pops called me in the middle of my ride, and trying to talk to him and ride at the same time slowed me down a bit. Lol he was excited to tell me about his brand new car.

Spike I'm going to get my back out today and ride it for awhile, haven't been on it in awhile. No pavement around here fro miles so it will be a challenge to get use to it again.
I stopped riding it on these dirt roads outside our property because of stray dogs [ a couple were pits ] wanting to chase me,so I'll just ride it around the trail and yard.
On the news yesterday I read that a pack of dogs mauled a man to death taking a short cut through woods to his house. Over 100 bites!

On second thought no bike riding today. I come here and get stuck it is too hard to leave. I have a captive audieance. :D.
Come on, Meer...I was going to skip today because it's hot and I've been up since 0400, but if you're going to skip just to play on the forum, I have to ride just to make you look bad!
:p:D

@BlueZ how far are your runs, and how old are you, if it's ok to ask...just curious about conditioning and age, since you seem to take it seriously...

I am in my early 50s and my runs are 3.5 miles but with some moderate hilliness in there.
If I can cut a little weight i will be able to run much better I think.. only 5 years ago I was regularly running 5-6 miles and I participated in the Army 10 miler...

PS: Today I really did not feel like running but it was already Tuesdas and I had done nothing on Monday... so I went do some weights.
For me that's a lot easier to do even when I am in a low energy mindset

I am in my early 50s and my runs are 3.5 miles but with some moderate hilliness in there.
If I can cut a little weight i will be able to run much better I think.. only 5 years ago I was regularly running 5-6 miles and I participated in the Army 10 miler...

See, this is what I want to know - other people my age (46) or older who are staying in shape. It motivates me to keep at it. My Pops was still slow jogging/walking 2 miles a day, 4-5 times a week in his late 70s, and still walks regularly at 84. He's 5'10" and 160 pounds. That's motivation too. He can do that at 84, after two heart attacks. Why am I 50 pounds overweight? I swear I'm gonna lose 10% of my weight and get down to 225. They say that losing 10% of your body weight makes the biggest difference in how your joints feel and your energy comes back. Well I've been overweight for 10 years and I'm ready to know what having more energy and less pain feels like...

See, this is what I want to know - other people my age (46) or older who are staying in shape. It motivates me to keep at it. My Pops was still slow jogging/walking 2 miles a day, 4-5 times a week in his late 70s, and still walks regularly at 84. He's 5'10" and 160 pounds. That's motivation too. He can do that at 84, after two heart attacks. Why am I 50 pounds overweight? I swear I'm gonna lose 10% of my weight and get down to 225. They say that losing 10% of your body weight makes the biggest difference in how your joints feel and your energy comes back. Well I've been overweight for 10 years and I'm ready to know what having more energy and less pain feels like...

When i was my mid 40s I exercised 12-14 times a week (4-5 runs, 4-6 iron pumps, 3-4 swims).. looked like a guy out of a superhero movie but was forced to throttle down due to overuse injuries at age 46..

Looks like this is going to be a decent week. Its Wednesday and I just did my 2nd workout ( a run) so I am set up to do 4 total for the week I think.
Take tomorrow off.. then Run Friday.. then nice long iron pump Saturday..

6.28 miles in 32 minutes. 11.75 mph. Cut the ride short, because frankly, I just wasn't feeling it. My quad muscles were just dead weight today...

Ran today.. so this bring me up to 3 workouts for the week.. All I need to do is get myself tommorrow (Saturday) to the Gym to pump iron to have a successful workout week.
:)

Squeezed in that Iron pump today.. but just barely.. i almost dindt do it.. i guess that means it was a extra good workout because the best work outs are the ones u almost didnt do.

I slacked off for a couple days with family time and very early work hours, but tonight I'll get back to it. I should be able to get a 40 minute ride in while my clothes are in the wash...
Not quite 40 minutes...6.17 miles in 32 minutes, avg. speed 11.5 mph...woulda rode longer, but I had to get back and put my clothes in the dryer...:cool:

No ride for 7/14. Getting up at 4AM for work just kills my ambition. At 2:30 I'm looking forward to the ride, but by 5:00 when I get home I just want to eat and sleep... tomorrow is my last day of work for a while, so I'll get back to it tomorrow night...

Started the week right with a run.

I feel your pain! PF is the biggest threat to my mobility now. I'm too chicken to go in and get injections so I just deal with it right now. If my shoes are too cushy it totally flares my PF. So, I keep wearing my old shoes, which I'm sure is just exaserbating the problem. I really need to take the time and spend the money to go see an orthopedist or physical therapist to see if there's something I can do to ease the pain.
@angie_nrs My foot doctor recommended Spenco insoles and they have been like magic for my feet. I have very, very little pain when I wear them. Keep your shoes by your bed or chair and don't even go to the kitchen for a drink without the shoes and insoles on. They're not cushy at all, in fact they're kind of hard but they flex a little when you walk and keep the support under your arch at all times. I highly recommend them.

@angie_nrs My foot doctor recommended Spenco insoles and they have been like magic for my feet. I have very, very little pain when I wear them. Keep your shoes by your bed or chair and don't even go to the kitchen for a drink without the shoes and insoles on. They're not cushy at all, in fact they're kind of hard but they flex a little when you walk and keep the support under your arch at all times. I highly recommend them.

Thanks Spikedriver! It looks like there's lots of options on those. Which ones did you get and where did you get them?

I have been trying everything lately. I've got the vibrams and have been trying those. I just ordered some of the roller balls to help loosen the fascia. I have been paying more attention to stretching and some foam rolling. I have been working on straightening my gait when I walk and using my toes more to push off. I actually feel a couple of "pebbles" on my heel. Ugh! I was just hoping I could take care of it on my own. It's a little better this week. I did P90X legs and back today with Ab ripper X. So, I have been able to keep up with my workouts for the most part. I have subbed in some lower impact cardio for PlyoX though. Just another 3 weeks and P90X will be behind me for now.... Now, if I could only find a way to get rid of migraines. I'm working on that right now too. Man, this gettin' old thing ain't for sissies!

@angie_nrs The insoles I'm using are Spenco RX OrthoticArch. They were $27 at my local "Mom 'n' Pop" pharmacy. I know there are a couple more options for PF on their website but these are working pretty well for me right now. An odd feature on these is that the bottom is hard plastic. If the support isn't quite right for you, you can put them into boiling water until they soften up and then mold them to your foot. I didn't have to do that, but it's a nice option to have.

Latest posts

Back