Walking – The Perfect Way To Exercise Wisely

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://prepperswill.com/walking-the-perfect-way-to-exercise-wisely/

Walking – The Perfect Way To Exercise Wisely
February 3, 2020 by Bob Rodgers

When Gary D. Yanker wrote The Complete Book of Exercise Walking, he probably had no idea that he would start a fad moving 50 million Americans, or solve a serious problem for a friend of mine.

My friend was having (like many military training organizations), a continual loss of manpower due to injuries during the training period. The vast majority of the injuries were caused by running, jogging, double time and sprints. Improper warm-ups and cool-downs before and after high-intensity exercises were also taking their tolls—the old “hurry up and wait” aspect.

I suggested that double-time, jogging, running, sprinting and over-eating be replaced by walking, some double time, a few sprints, and less calorie intake by the trainees. My friend nearly fell from his chair.

Walking my way to life
Contents show
My own experience with walking exercising and proper dieting has taught me that physical fitness, by young or old, is not just a dream. I quit smoking, began dieting and lost 33 pounds in 12 weeks. I have gained only two back in two months, both of which I wanted to regain to meet my original minimal weight requirements.

However, before starting any change of lifestyle which involves physical exercise, food intake or nutrient supplement, one should always first consult their doctor.

Walking is the almost perfect means of exercise for all ages. A walker doesn’t have to be overly muscular, have an abundance of stamina or be a lettered athlete from a “Big 10 Conference” university. A major factor in becoming a walker is persistence, especially if one wants to lose weight, build a stronger body, develop stamina, and feel really good.

People-walking-1024x683.jpg

Doctors and fitness experts say that walking is the healthiest form of exercise, requiring the least effort and having the fewest dangers. Walking will keep the legs, hips, waist, buttocks and bowel movements in good order, all of which makes the long hours of walking worthwhile.

It’s true that jogging, running, swimming and biking can provide the same health effects, but also many problems. About one in five joggers is forced to quit due to injuries to the ankle, knee or lower back. These were some of the problems my friend was having with his trainees.

Starting a walking exercise program may also correct body problems related to blood fats, heart disease, coronary-artery disease, hypertension, oxygen intake, physical endurance, stress and tension, appetite, circulation, varicose veins, tension headaches, blood clots, osteoporosis, arthritis and posture.

There are several walking techniques, and some say as many as eight or nine. I won’t argue the point. How one walks is their decision. I attempt to walk as fast as possible, swing both arms in a pumping motion, lifting both feet as high as possible (without looking like I am marching) and for as long as necessary to complete my exercises or just to go from one point to another.

According to Yanker, one mile of brisk (3 ½ -4 MPH) walking will burn up approximately 100 calories. The mile should take approximately 15 minutes to walk. Thus, if you walk for a full hour, you would cover about 4 miles and burn nearly 400 calories, based on a 180-pound bodyweight.

The trainees which my friend was working with found the walking to be a lower bodybuilding exercise and a rapid method of removing a lot of “baby” fat. In the nine weeks of basic outdoor skills, most of the trainees lost the extra weight, even though their calorie intake remained normal.

In military training situations, it has been found that smaller-bodied people tend to be more prone to leg injuries than the heavier peoples of the world, especially after weight loading the field packs. Although my friend’s trainees were young, the entire walking exercise program did not produce a single casualty.

Conversely, a second group of similar size and age trainees that continued the normal military-type training had the usual 20 percent casualties. Three men failed to complete the training, whereas the walking group had 100 percent of graduates.

Weight Loss
Most people, especially over the age of 50, start their walking-exercising program off with casual strolls for a few minutes each day. Over a few weeks, the time of walks, the distance, and speed increase.

As you become stronger, you may want to change your style of walking. A more vigorous gait or arm swing will increase calorie burn-off. It will also help trim the waist and stomach, plus aid in buttock reduction and muscle tone of just about every muscle in the body.

Just when you think you are ready to walk around the world, add a few pounds of extra weight to your feet, arms and/or back. It is like starting all over again … but somewhat easier on the body.

I do my exercise walking wearing the heaviest hiking boot I own, ankle weights of two and one-half pounds each, dumbells of 6.6 pounds each in each hand and a day pack or fanny pack weight loaded up to 50 pounds.

By walking for one hour at approximately four miles per hour, I can burn off nearly 500 calories this way.

Extra weight-loading, calisthenics, and sprints should later be included in your program, but only after several weeks of body conditioning. Like any exercise program, the best results come from long hard hours, not short bursts of fast exercising.

Give your body a chance to adapt to your new life activities. Overexertion, in the beginning, can easily be the beginning of the end.

One major advantage walking has over most exercises is that a real warm-up is not needed for the simpler forms of walking. If you want to walk to the corner grocery for the exercise, you need not perform a 10-minute warmup.

However, should you plan a 10-mile, weight-loaded type walk, a warm-up is very much needed to prevent leg cramps and soreness. Before any high-intensity exercise, I do a few warm-up exercises such as wall push aways, sit-ups, push-ups, running in place (2-3 minutes) and leg muscle stretches.

After completion of the walking exercises, I repeat the warm-up exercises in a slower motion. This helps the blood settle down at a controlled speed, rather than being dropped off all at once. People have been known to pass out from failure to cool down properly after tennis or hard walking.

Equipment for walking
Unlike most sports or exercise programs, walking can be done very inexpensively if that is what you want. Dress for the weather, wear soft-soled shoes, good socks and a hat if desired. These are the basics and all you will actually need.

Where and when possible, I always wear shorts or bush pants, a T-shirt, good polypropylene wool socks and a comfortable hiking, walking or field boot.

Some walkers will wear a sweatsuit regardless of the temperature. Working up a sweat doesn’t mean you are getting in shape or losing that extra weight. Keeping your body cool is better for you and will keep everything functioning at peak performance. If the body gets overly warm, it tends to slow down.

For rain walking there is nothing on the market better than a rain suit. I always have a rain suit attached to my fanny pack or in my ruck. The light-weight fabric keeps the rain and winds out, yet permits the body condensate to evaporate to the outside.

Plastic or PVC laminated suits must be continually ventilated when walking in them, or you get just as wet inside as you do outside.

Winter Walking
During the winter months, your exercise walking program should continue, regardless of weather conditions. Some people go to the local mall or gym and walk around in the controlled heat. An excellent method of keeping the winter fat away, but I prefer the outside, regardless of temperature or conditions.

Having spent more than one year in the Arctic. I learned that cold is not as cold as you think, if properly dressed. The main factor is to dress in such a fashion that you do not become overheated during the walking sessions. If you make the mistake of over-dressing, you will spend a lot of time un-zipping and un-snapping, zipping and snapping and sweating and cooling.

The colder months actually are worse than the hot ones, to me. In the coldest months, I usually wear a 100 percent Wool Navy Watch Cap or 100 percent Wool Jeep Cap, hooded sweat short, T-shirt, sweat pants, two pair socks: one poly-pro, one 100 percent wool, leather walking/hiking boots and if needed, my rain suit. Mittens and gloves are worn if called for.

Being a highway or road walker, I must contend with moving traffic. I walk against the traffic, which gives me time to react if the oncoming vehicle doesn’t see me. I wear a bright orange vest or bright yellow jacket when walking on the sides of the road.

walking-in-the-winter-1024x682.jpg

Keep alert, as some drivers tend to aim at you once their eye catches your movement. Planned trails and old abandoned railroad tracks are much safer than highways. Backtrail and roads can be hazardous as well, from both man and animal.

When I travel on foot, I usually carry a small-caliber handgun. I have found the lightweight Quickfire holster to be perfect for walking and backpacking. The handgun is not totally protected, but it is accessible. The left-or-right hand design and the multi-size frame holster is strong. Be sure of gun laws before “totin”‘ a gun into parks or certain states.

In case of a severe accident, be sure to have plenty of identification on your person or equipment. Most hikers carry driver’s licenses or some form of state I.D. Some wear the G.I. style Dog Tags and some attach cards or signs to their equipment. I must be nuts, as 1 do all of the above.

Read next: Splinting Techniques To Relieve Pain And Avoid Further Injury

A lot of walkers schedule their walking exercise just before the evening meal. A brisk 30 minutes to one hour walk helps reduce the desire to overeat. The fewer calories you take in before going to bed, the better, as far as I am concerned.

In the winter months, the late walk usually puts me out after dark. Security and safety must then be increased, even for us rural folks. I carry a small flashlight with a red lens. As I walk on public roads, I swing the light to let motorists know that I am present. Against a fast-moving “18 Wheeler,” it isn’t much, but at least it is something.

Other walkers carry large handheld lanterns (battery-powered) and/or larger flashlights. Just he sure and have some form of light if you are going to be out after dark: be it head or tail light.

One item that is always in my fanny pack or ruck, especially when I wear short pants, is a pair of gaiters. There have been plenty of times I have stopped to don the gaiters due to briars or known rattler habitats. My gaiters are made from heavy duck which may or may not stop a snake strike, but at least they are a reasonable defense. The briars and other “stick ’ems” fail to get to the legs. All rural walkers should carry a pair.

By getting the family or friends involved, walking can be more fun. It does get lonely out on the back roads when you walk alone. If the family or friends won’t join you, then they are the real losers.

Concluding
As you prepare your body, your mind improves, too. I can assure you that you can solve a lot of problems as you walk and think. One person that I know carries a tape recorder to make notes of things he needs to do or say in his work.

He claims that walking is his best recall period and the best new idea time. I agree. As one of the trainees, I first mentioned, said to me, “I can do that train-ing again!” I never thought that about boot camp … did you?

This article has been written by James H. Redford MD for Prepper’s Will.

If you want to walk and the weather or something else keeps you indoors then a treadmill works just as well.
If you need one put a wanted ad on Craigslist. My SIL needed a treadmill and couldn't afford one so I put an ad on craigslist and I had 5 people contact me with free ones. Some were really nice and like new.
My ad said, "Do you have a treadmill collecting dust and clothes that you would like hauled off? Senior lady needs one to walk."
Now for full disclosure. She used it 2 times and then it just sat like 99.9% of all exercise equipment, but if you want one they are easy to find.
I bought myself one last year and I still use it every other day or more.

If you want to walk and the weather or something else keeps you indoors then a treadmill works just as well.
If you need one put a wanted ad on Craigslist. My SIL needed a treadmill and couldn't afford one so I put an ad on craigslist and I had 5 people contact me with free ones. Some were really nice and like new.
My ad said, "Do you have a treadmill collecting dust and clothes that you would like hauled off? Senior lady needs one to walk."
Now for full disclosure. She used it 2 times and then it just sat like 99.9% of all exercise equipment, but if you want one they are easy to find.
I bought myself one last year and I still use it every other day or more.

LOL I had one and rarely used it. Got rid of it a few weeks ago and now the living room looks bigger. It was a fold up but so heavy and hard to move. If I had a bigger house with more rooms, I probably would have kept it. It needed it's own room with a tv or something!

I'd love to get one but my space is severely limited. My pops got tired of heat/humidity/cold/ice/snow, so he bought a high quality treadmill, and it was money well spent. At 85, he still uses it 3-4 times a week. Getting a good quality one is important. Cheap ones are no fun to use. And if it's no fun to use...you won't use it.

I'd love to get one but my space is severely limited. My pops got tired of heat/humidity/cold/ice/snow, so he bought a high quality treadmill, and it was money well spent. At 85, he still uses it 3-4 times a week. Getting a good quality one is important. Cheap ones are no fun to use. And if it's no fun to use...you won't use it.

No fun no run ,huh ? Well I agree need some nice scenery and good equipment.

Another important thing that I didn't see in the article - monitor your heart rate. My doc advised me to walk 30 minutes/day, at whatever speed got my pulse to a rate of 120-140 beats per minute. I prefer to exercise a little harder now, but for most people who don't exercise much I think it's sound advice...

I appreciate the offer, and I'm sure you are right. It would be more of an incentive when you know others are watching. Kind of like weighing in at Weight Watchers every week. I will definitely consider it.

I appreciate the offer, and I'm sure you are right. It would be more of an incentive when you know others are watching. Kind of like weighing in at Weight Watchers every week. I will definitely consider it.
This thread is also a great way to keep track of your exercise. I post my minutes spent doing cardio, and my weightlifting exercises here. I can go back months, and see what I've been doing and how much, and it helps me know what adjustments I may need to make...

This thread is also a great way to keep track of your exercise. I post my minutes spent doing cardio, and my weightlifting exercises here. I can go back months, and see what I've been doing and how much, and it helps me know what adjustments I may need to make...
Yes and I can go backdays and see how much I procastanated and fel quilty so I get back to it.

Like today I'd just about as soon a jump in a pond of cold water as get up and go for a walk, but then all wil know I failed to stick to the program.

Meerkat: Your secret is safe with me. I will tell everybody we walked for miles. You can lie, and I will swear to it.

Morgan that is ,thanks fro the laugh. I just got back from my walk ,forest clearing weed pulling so see I even get bonus exercise walking I see more stuff to do. :LOL:yes but who gets deceived the worse me or the ones I lie to?:D
Come on over to our thread and help us. We can visit this one Sentry put up too. But right now I have my 3 work out partners on Training Logs'. Come join us.

Does walking around Bass Pro Shop count? That's what I did this weekend. I was a good boy, and only bought one thing that I actually did need. Only spent $10.00. Saw some other things that were very tempting, but didn't give in.

Does walking around Bass Pro Shop count? That's what I did this weekend. I was a good boy, and only bought one thing that I actually did need. Only spent $10.00. Saw some other things that were very tempting, but didn't give in.
I just walk around Bass Pro/Cabela's too. Of course there are lots of stops along the way to look at stuff...:D

Ok , I been reading this thread....y'all make me feel guilty.
So I been complaining about my knees being a little stiff, a little sore , no pain just tight.
I know I'm lethargic, way outta shape...2 surgies in 4 months, laying around on my tail now 6 months.
Can't walk much outside ...horrible rainy , cold weather.
So 3 days ago I brought out the recumbent bike I bought for before surgery.
Started with 8 min, then 9 min, last night went 11 min.

Ha, knees are feeling looser already.
Ain't got any goals , other than get more active and stronger in my knees. Gotta get off my donkey.

Jim

Last edited:
So I been complaining about my knees being a little stiff, a little sore , no pain just tight.
I know I'm lethargic, way outta shape...2 surgies in 4 months, paying around on my tail now 6 months.

Ain't got any goals , other than get more active and stronger in my knees. Gotta get off my donkey.

Jim

Whaddaya mean we are out of shape? We are round, and round is a shape, and this is the last time I am apologizing for it. :peace:

This is my recumbent bike.
It has too many modes to keep of with. Miles, time, pulse, calories, adj resistance. etc...

Very quite and comfortable.
It gives me quite a workout and pulse rate up around 125.

Give me y'all's opinion on this until I can get outside and walk some.
View attachment 34540
Jim
Jim if it's working for you, it's good. Getting that blood moving is the goal and you're doing it. I don't know much about indoor bikes, but knowing you, you didn't skimp, so I'm sure it's a good one.

Jim if it's working for you, it's good. Getting that blood moving is the goal and you're doing it. I don't know much about indoor bikes, but knowing you, you didn't skimp, so I'm sure it's a good one.

I'll know more about results after a couple weeks. It will either have positive results or hurt me.

It's from Academy Sports, not a cheap junk, but not too expensive, just a good one.

I tried it to strengthen my legs before knee replacement, but it made the knees hurt too much.

Now it don't hurt.

:Dlast night started to cramp a little.
That will go away shortly.
Anyway I gulped 8oz of diet tonic water to rid the cramps.

Jim

Yes and I can go backdays and see how much I procastanated and fel quilty so I get back to it.

Like today I'd just about as soon a jump in a pond of cold water as get up and go for a walk, but then all wil know I failed to stick to the program.
Meerkat, the recommendation is to walk 3 miles a day. I knew if I didn't find a way or motivation, I would also never get it done. My solution: I schedule walk times with friends. One day I walk with one friend, other days I walk with other friends. It helps to have an appointment, such as 8 a.m. every Tuesday, to walk with this person or that person.

There are also walking groups that meet up at a particular location and time and walk certain pre-set places. This is good if people do not have friends to walk with. It becomes a social group and you get to make new friends. Usually these are in parks, or natural areas. There is one group in my area that selects rivers or creeks and over the course of time, walks the full distance of it, one section at a time. What I am not sure of is how they get back to their cars when the walks are over, but they must have a plan. What I do not remember is how I connected to that group to know why I get emails about their walks. For more social people, this is a great thing to motivate them to walk.

I'll know more about results after a couple weeks. It will either have positive results or hurt me.

It's from Academy Sports, not a cheap junk, but not too expensive, just a good one.

I tried it to strengthen my legs before knee replacement, but it made the knees hurt too much.

Now it don't hurt.

:Dlast night started to cramp a little.
That will go away shortly.
Anyway I gulped 8oz of diet tonic water to rid the cramps.

Jim
I wonder what is in tonic water that helps get rid of the cramps? I think that sounds like a good prep to have.

Tonic is carbonated Quinine water. Here is at least one school of thought.

1. Professionals
  2. Natural Products (Pro)
  3. Quinine
Print Share
Quinine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 15, 2020.

Scientific Name(s): Cinchona calisya Wedd., Cinchona ledgeriana Moens ex Trim. (yellow cinchona), Cinchona succirubra Pav. ex Klotsch (red cinchona)
Common Name(s): China bark, Cinchona bark, Fever tree, Jesuit's bark, Peruvian bark, Quina-quina, Red bark

Clinical Overview

Use
Quinine has been used for the treatment of malaria and associated febrile states, leg cramps caused by vascular spasm, internal hemorrhoids, varicose veins, and pleural cavities after thoracoplasty.

LOL I had one and rarely used it. Got rid of it a few weeks ago and now the living room looks bigger. It was a fold up but so heavy and hard to move. If I had a bigger house with more rooms, I probably would have kept it. It needed it's own room with a tv or something!
My 87 year old aunt has one and she is faithful about exercise. She has a television that she watches when she works out on certain things. She is always looking for DVDs to watch while she is doing her exercise activities, such as her treadmill. She and uncle also walk minimally 3 miles a day, outside when the weather is nice enough, or at a mall when it isn't. I know when I used to check papers in the evenings, having the television on was a good diversion and actually helped me to stay more focused on what I was doing. I don't really know how that works, but it does.

I know I'm lethargic, way outta shape...2 surgies in 4 months, laying around on my tail now 6 months.

Jim
Jim that is :great:. Someties it is so hard to make myself get started. I remember these two sayings,
" the journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step"
" Whatever ye find yourself to do ,do it, there will be plenty of rest in the grave where thou goest" paraquote .

Eccle.9:10

10Whatever you find to do with your hands, do it with all your might, for in Sheol, where you are going, there is no work or planning or knowledge or wisdom. 11I saw something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; neither is the bread to the wise, nor the wealth to the intelligent, nor the favor to the skillful. For time and chance happen to all.…
Berean Study Bible · Download
Cross References

Latest posts

Back