We Love Our Music

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:p I had a Model A JD like the one in the video but it wasn't that purty.
I wish they hadn't dubbed-in the sound of a 4-cylinder when he's driving it instead of the signature "blap-blap-blap" sound they make.
321 cubic inches in 2 cylinders was REAL power!
My mom put a $5 bounty on every white-locust thorn tree we could pull up and roll into the river.
Then all hell broke loose!
I had about 40' of 1/2" logging chain. I'd hook it about neck-high to the tree.
Back up to the tree and wind that big flywheel up and take off wide-open.
When the chain ran out, the front end would come up in the air and that thing would be dancing!
About 3 yanks later, and any tree 6" or less in diameter would be following me to the river, roots and all.
I think I was 16.
Good times!

I wish they hadn't dubbed-in the sound of a 4-cylinder when he's driving it instead of the signature "blap-blap-blap" sound they make.
My mom put a $5 bounty on every white-locust thorn tree we could pull up and roll into the river.
When the chain ran out, the front end would come up in the air and that thing would be dancing!
About 3 yanks later, and any tree 6" or less in diameter would be following me to the river, roots and all.
I think I was 16.
Good times!

I didn't catch that they the dubbed the sound , "good ear". $5.00 bounty could add up quick too. Totally remember how wheels would raise easy though. Had my times on a few tractor's. Last I had was a 1950 Massey Ferguson.👍

I didn't catch that they the dubbed the sound , "good ear". $5.00 bounty could add up quick too. Totally remember how wheels would raise easy though. Had my times on a few tractor's. Last I had was a 1950 Massey Ferguson.👍
I was actually a MF tech for 4 years in the early '80s.
If that model-35 was '50s it was a 6-volt system. Hard to jump off.
Massey and Ferguson married in 1953.
Most of the design was stolen from the Ford 2N and 8N tractors because all of the companies were working together back then.
Now, see what just one music video can start?gaah

p.s. Yes, a $5 bounty adds up. I think mom cut off my gasoline supply after about the 10th one:mad:.
For perspective, I bought my first car for $100, I bought that tractor as junk for $100. Had to resurrect it from the dead on location and drive it 7 miles to the house with 1 front wheel I had stolen from the jeep. spare.

Last edited:
I was actually a MF tech for 3 years in the early '80s.
If that model-35 was '50s it was a 6-volt system.

It was 4 cylinder may have year wrong , but was 1950 or earlier. Friend sold it to me for $300.00 and I sold it for $1000.00. Nice profit huh?:)

I did learn one thing about them while I had it and that was you don't let them sit up or they will lock up. When the guy came to buy it we had a hard time getting it unlocked, "the motor" from sitting up. When I got it; I got it running and drove it around awhile , then it sit for awhile and we spent an hour or more rocking it to free it back up.

@Supervisor42 After thinking about it a little, I am not really sure if that tractor was 4 cylinder or not. It's been to long and I didn't go into that motor so really don't remember.:dunno: Pretty sure it was a 1950 though.

Last edited:
It was 4 cylinder may have year wrong , but was 1950 or earlier. Friend sold it to me for $300.00 and I sold it for $1000.00. Nice profit huh?:)
Yes, all of the n-series Fords and small MF's were 4 cylinders.
Speaking of camshafts, did you know there is a secret way to change the camshaft in one of those without pulling the engine? (tearing the tractor into pieces).
Because I'm a lazy guy and the distributor gear on the cam was prone to strip out on those, I invented that.
On topic:

Last edited:
Yes, all of the n-series Fords and small MF's were 4 cylinders.
Speaking of camshafts, did you know there is a secret way to change the camshaft in one of those without pulling the engine? (tearing the tractor into pieces).
Because I'm a lazy guy and the distributor gear on the cam was prone to strip on those, I invented that.
On topic:

No I didn't know. Had to be some kind of a trick getting it out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think I was 16.
Good times!

A JD B model was the first tractor I ever rode on or drove. Gandpa had one, and his brother next door had a A model. Total they farmed 150 or so acres with them. Grandpa finally got him a diesel and sold his B to his brother. When I was 8 my dad bought a B and we used it for probably 4 years till he found a Deutz air cooled Diesel.
I was plowing and disking gardens. Mowing hay and pasture fields with a B by the time I was 9. I love the sound of those old Johnny poppers. Not a sound like it. I'd love to find an A or B that was together. Making them run isn't that hard. They can be very useful as a stationary power source, I've seen them used to power sawmills, grain thresers, balers, even to run large ice cream makers.

A JD B model was the first tractor I ever rode on or drove. Gandpa had one, and his brother next door had a A model. Total they farmed 150 or so acres with them. Grandpa finally got him a diesel and sold his B to his brother. When I was 8 my dad bought a B and we used it for probably 4 years till he found a Deutz air cooled Diesel.
I was plowing and disking gardens. Mowing hay and pasture fields with a B by the time I was 9. I love the sound of those old Johnny poppers. Not a sound like it. I'd love to find an A or B that was together. Making them run isn't that hard. They can be very useful as a stationary power source, I've seen them used to power sawmills, grain thresers, balers, even to run large ice cream makers.
The A's were big brutes meant to start on gasoline and then switch over to tractor-fuel when they warmed up, it was about the price of kerosene.
Running an A on gas all day could get expensive. (321 Cu/in) = hungry!
The model B was about half the displacement after tractor-fuel went away and was welcomed with open arms:huggs:.
No I didn't know. Had to be some kind of a trick getting it out. :rolleyes:
I'm not going to muddy this thread up but everybody will tell you that doing that is impossble,
because there is no tappet cover on the side of the engine (kinda like putting a cam in time in a Z24 with no timing marks.:p).
Last MF35 cam I did was 25% of the book time for labor hours.
On topic: weird music we're talking about that many have never heard:

Last edited:
The A's were big brutes meant to start on gasoline and then switch over to tractor-fuel when they warmed up, it was about the price of kerosene.
Running an A on gas all day could get expensive. (321 Cu/in) = hungry!
The model B was about half the displacement after tractor-fuel went away and was welcomed with open arms:huggs:.
I'm not going to muddy this thread up but everybody will tell you that doing that is impossble,
because there is no tappet cover on the side of the engine (kinda like putting a cam in time in a Z24 with no timing marks.:p).
Last MF35 cam I did was 25% of the book time for labor hours.
On topic: weird music we're talking about that many have never heard:

You totally right, no one would hardly believe it either. You should be very proud of yourself and your accomplishments in life.👍

Well that was a very good show. Some Bonus music at the end of the concert too.

Found this while looking thru You tube. Anyone recall Aldo Nova from the 80's One album and that was it. Anyway found this video he posted recently to share during the CV stuff going on. His voice sounds better now to me than it did back in the day.

When I start condeming the youth of today about their music I have to go back to our kind of music and get off my high horse.[ Of course they did take up a few norches far as vulgarity.].

Well that was a very good show. Some Bonus music at the end of the concert too.

Found this while looking thru You tube. Anyone recall Aldo Nova from the 80's One album and that was it. Anyway found this video he posted recently to share during the CV stuff going on. His voice sounds better now to me than it did back in the day.

I like this one the best, good song fro today too,lol.

They played it last night. THey've had at least 3 Saturday evenings where they played the audio from a concert from the past, and showed a bunch of pictures taken from the show. I really have enjoyed the 2 I've saw. I'm gonna try and keep up with them to catch more if they show them.

Latest posts

Back