What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to use cream of chicken soup and golden mushroom soup a lot. Interesting how life changes. I know I have some that is way outdated and should be pitched.

I used to use the Campbell's version of these soups for recipes like that. But my wife is a low carb stickler and now we use homemade. She will produce large batches of cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, tomato, etc. in her Instapot, then put them in individual size plastic containers and freeze them. Our kitchen fridge is a side by side and almost the entire freezer side is soup or bone broth.

Burgers. I asked my wife what she wanted and she started dismissing things so, I asked, Hamburgers? She was all for it. I will be slicing tomatoes, cheese and onions. The ground beef will be enriched with an egg, some garlic, salt and pepper. It will be served open faced with a side of broccoli and condiments.

We love Golden Pride. Hole in the wall with good food. Usually go for breakfast burritos.
We went to Rudy's and had barbeque.

We went o the one near the fair grounds. It was much larger and nicer than we expected.

Tonight the wife is making "Egg roll in a bowl" aka deconstructed egg roll: ground chicken, cabbage, carrot, onion, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, etc. Then at the same time I am going to grill up some no-sugar teriyaki chicken on a stick.

Sunday is Pizza night!! :dancing:

Great minds think alike... or we both have pizza on the brain! :rolleyes:

I finally got to try the oven of my new stove tonight. I had a quality frozen pizza. The crust came out perfect! Done all the way through. The fixings were great as well.

The oven temp was perfect. I was monitoring it with two other thermometers.

The oven timer is crap though. It counted down 17 minutes in 12 minutes (I was using another timer just to check it). Either that or it counted the warm up phase... not sure, going to have to check the timer again.

Next I have to try pizza from scratch!

My experience making "homemade" pizza was not all that good:

1583116943869.png

So we finally went with premade frozen Costo Pizza :)

I am going to make some homemade chicken salad tonight. Chicken breast and thigh meat run through my meat grinder then mixed with real mayonnaise, chopped green onion, purple onion, celery, pickles, and a comparatively very small amount of minced apple and thin slices of purple grapes. I also add salt, pepper, onion powder, and 1-2 drops sugar free liquid sweetener such as Stevia, monk fruit, or liquid sucralose. We use the mixture to make chicken salad lettuce wraps.

Taco soup?

2 pounds ground beef
2 packages taco seasoning
1 1/2 cups water
15 ounces black beans (drained)
15 1/4 ounces whole kernel corn, drained
16 ounces chili beans (mild, undrained)
10 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies
14 1/2 ounces stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion

Kinda like chili with corn and taco seasoning instead of chili powder.

I make it, we have it for supper, then the rest gets jarred and frozen for later meals.

Do you have a recipe to share, @snappy1 ? We used to buy pre-made frozen veggie burgers but I didn't like them. Trying to go meatless doesn't mean I want my protein to taste like a hamburger! Or smoky. Have you ever made seitan?

I will do an ingredient list tomorrow. Already in bed. Is seitan soy or tofu? If so, I can't have it because of low thyroid.
Have a quiet evening!

Has anyone here ever tried chicken paprikash soup? My great grandmother called it chicken buppergosh and called the drop noodles "kenadlee".

Latest posts

Back