What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should add that these are super cheap steaks. I think the Mrs. paid something like $1.85 each for a 1.5" thick 10-11oz eye of round steaks. We are conducting an experiment where we marinated them in pineapple for 90 minutes (30 min per 1/2 inch), then rinsed them off well and patted them dry. Then we seasoned them with olive oil, pepper, salt, and garlic and let them sit for 45 minutes. Soon I will be grilling them on high heat for about 5 minutes per side. I will be brushing them with garlic butter before and after the flip and before I take them off to rest.

The pineapple has an enzyme which allegedly softens and tenderized the meat and makes it taste like a much more expensive steak. I will let you all know if it works.

Apricot Glazed Chicken with roasted carrots and lemon garlic Cous Cous

20200619_121517.jpg

We have rolling thunderstorms so we are cooking inside tonight.

I made an onion dijon vinaigrette dressing using a red onion, Grey Poupon mustard, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, granulated garlic, sucralose (generic Splenda) celery seed and a bit of home grown, home dried tarragon. I don't have ratios- I'm a 'dump cook.' I add until my ancestors tell me I've added enough. ;)

I broiled boneless chicken breasts coated with garlic salt, black pepper and the onion dijon vinaigrette until brown, bubbly and done throughout.

I also coarsely chopped almonds and pan roasted them in butter, garlic salt, a dash of cayenne pepper, and sucralose.

When the almonds were 'carmelized,' I removed them from the pan and set them aside in a bowl.

I cut up some beets from our garden, and added them to the pan with the residual coating of butter and spices. I added a bit more garlic salt, black pepper, and a splash of red wine vinegar and pan roasted the beets.

Hubs is making dinner plate sized salads using lettuces from our garden and veggies from the store- the usual salad assortment.

To these large salads we'll add:
feta cheese crumbles
roasted beets
carmelized almonds
broiled chicken breast

and then we'll drizzle it all with the onion dijon vinaigrette. :) :)

The pineapple has an enzyme which allegedly softens and tenderized the meat and makes it taste like a much more expensive steak. I will let you all know if it works.

It does NOT make the steak 'taste' better, the garlic butter and seasoning did that. But the pureed pinapple definitely tenderized the steak. More so than I ever expected. My 8 year old ate more steak than he ever has in one setting.

It does NOT make the steak 'taste' better, the garlic butter and seasoning did that. But the pureed pinapple definitely tenderized the steak. More so than I ever expected. My 8 year old ate more steak than he ever has in one setting.
Thanks for the tip, have to give it a try :)

Thanks for the tip, have to give it a try :)

We pureed fresh pineapple, including some of the rind, then cut the eye of round into 1.5" steaks. We submerged them in the pineapple and let them sit in the fridge for 90 minutes, then rinsed them off really well. The steaks went from very firm to very soft and changed color a bit. Then we seasoned them with coarse black pepper, coarse salt, and garlic powder and let them sit for 45-60 minutes to warm to room temp. I grilled them on high heat basting them with garlic butter until they were 130 degrees internal temp. I would say they were on par with a good sirloin steak but for less money. You could not taste the pineapple at all. Next time I will let them marinate in the pineapple for 15 minutes longer and see if they get even more tender.

We're having take out

Restaurants have indoor seating but they have to be 6ft ( or the health dept's rules on distance) apart so seating is limited right now. First come first serve so we'll just keep getting takeout and eat at home until this silliness is done

We had to leave first thing this morning for a house showing, and drove by our favorite breakfast restaurant that has just started outdoor seating. Was hoping, but no go. Ten tables, and already full. So we called in burrito orders at another restaurant we like and ate them at the park. I'm not sure if I'd trust eating inside a place around here just yet. Numbers are too high.

I am going to grind up some brisket and round together, then make some 12oz patties. I intend to smoke them on indirect heat using hickory, something I have never done before. Then they will get a bourbon-butter-garlic-portabella glaze. Not sure which veggies I am going to make yet, other than large portabella mushroom tops.

Latest posts

Back