What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chili dogs tonight, lots of onions... chips on the side.

View attachment 79334
Nice, Just needs some shredded cheese and you can visit Cincinnati :)

1643511429700.png

macaroni and cheese and crispy fried sausage with a garden salad. I cheated a little and had a couple of ounces of mac and cheese. It was all good though. The cheese sause was made with medium and x-tra sharp cheddar cheese.

Nice, Just needs some shredded cheese and you can visit Cincinnati :)

I can't seem to find a good hotdog chili... I don't want to make a batch for a couple of dogs 4 or 5 times a year. Besides, all the recipes I find are heavy on chilipowder. I'm not overly fond of chilipowder, I'd rather taste the meat and other goodies.

Anyway, I've found 3 brands of hotdog chili locally (can). None of them are worth writing home about. Any ideas? If I can find a good regional brand from elsewhere I can order from Amerzit.

Chili powder is just Cumin and Cayenne. Separate them and season to taste!

I can't seem to find a good hotdog chili... I don't want to make a batch for a couple of dogs 4 or 5 times a year. Besides, all the recipes I find are heavy on chilipowder. I'm not overly fond of chilipowder, I'd rather taste the meat and other goodies.

Anyway, I've found 3 brands of hotdog chili locally (can). None of them are worth writing home about. Any ideas? If I can find a good regional brand from elsewhere I can order from Amerzit.
My taste buds are corrupted, lived in the area 60+ years. Chili here tends to be sweeter and chocolate/cinnamon notes, and no real chunks of meat.

Gold Star and Cincinnati Chili both sell packets of seasoning, I would be happy to mail you one of each. Skyline only sells by the can or a frozen "3 way".

There is a fair knock off here for the skyline: Skylike Chili - Skyline Chili Copycat Recipe - Food.com

This one is good too, and the texture is closer: Copycat Skyline Cincinnati Chili

Last edited:
OMG! I rarely make omelets. Today I decided to try one since I had lots of goodies in the fridge. I had bell pepper, sweet onion, shiitake mushrooms, diced ham, bacon bits and a small piece of left over Parmesan cheese. I cooked the veggies in olive oil with some fresh garlic, just to soften them and grated my cheese into beaten eggs.

Best omelet I've ever made, so good. It was ugly as all heck but tasty!

OMG! I rarely make omelets. Today I decided to try one since I had lots of goodies in the fridge. I had bell pepper, sweet onion, shiitake mushrooms, diced ham, bacon bits and a small piece of left over Parmesan cheese. I cooked the veggies in olive oil with some fresh garlic, just to soften them and grated my cheese into beaten eggs.

Best omelet I've ever made, so good. It was ugly as all heck but tasty!
You have inspired me. I generally have some variation of most of those ingredients around (for use in making salads). Why I haven't thought to put them together into an omelette for breakfast escapes me. Sometimes my brain needs a nudge. Thanks!

I normally have sunny side eggs, fav. Sometimes I'll scramble eggs but usually put salsa over them. Always have bacon or sausage on the side. Yesterday I'd forgotten to thaw out bacon or sausage. I knew I had diced ham for salads. What to use for meat with brunch? Once I started looking in the fridge... an omelet was born.

Looks like we are having a rotisserie chicken pot pie for supper tonight, I been out all day helping my daughter with her new chicken coop and run. Finished off the day by washing my truck and the wife’s car to get ride of all this road salt/ brine that was all over them, I’m going to kick back and get ready for work tomorrow.

I make husband an egg white omelet every single morning. I use the whites of nine eggs (the dogs get the yolks), and I add chopped spinach, red onion, tomato, and cheese. You'd think he'd get tired of it, but he doesn't.
That's a lot of egg yolks going to the dogs! You could make chocolate pudding :p

A few years ago I ended up with 40 laying hens. One morning I had a bucket of eggs I couldn’t sell. I decided to learn to make over easy eggs, never learned how to flip them so ate them sunny side.

I watched a video then started to flip eggs til I got the hang of it. My big sheppard was in heaven… until the 18th or 20th egg. Then he was looking up at me like “Please don’t break another one!” 🤣

Just had a brisket sandwich from a roadside BBQ stand up the street. The brisket didn't have much seasoning but it was cooked to perfection, tender and juicy. And the Texas style BBQ sauce was outstanding, just the right combo of spice and tangy flavor. $8 for a 1/3 pound sandwich was a good deal. A crappy quarter pounder at McDonald's tastes like chemicals and teenage body odor, and makes you have to sprint for the bathroom, for the same price...

Latest posts

Back