What Are You Listening To?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soldiers Joy, I first learned this song on a banjo. Over the years I became very fond of old Irish fiddle tunes. They are fun, I can sit and play them for hours. This song is really a very old fiddle tune, first and foremost. I never met a fiddler who didn’t play it. I wonder if @Magpie knows this tune by a different name?

Historians say the melody originated in Scotland centuries ago.. It’s had many variations and names. Here in the states the current name came from the civil war, Soldiers Joy, which actually refers to a concoction of whiskey, beer, and morphine drank during the war by soldiers on both sides.

Anyway, here are two versions. The first is played “claw hammer style” on a banjo the way I learned it. (seems we had a member a few months ago who’s user name was “claw hammer”). The second is played by a fiddle...

I don't know the artists on either rendition. Just mp3s that ended up on my computer.

Banjo - key of C

Fiddle - key of D

Last edited:
Lol, I know no one is really interested in that old song, soldiers joy. It's sort of unique in bluegrass, not one most people hear at a festival. Unless you're at a fiddlers convention. Then you'll hear it played a dozen different ways. 🤣

As I've gotten older I like to research the history of songs I grew up playing. Especially old fiddle tunes like soldiers joy. Wish I knew what it sounded like 200yrs ago. Who played it and why, did they play it faster or slower? It's a scottish song so I know settlers where playing it in the Blue ridge Mtns as soon as they got there. The irish played it also and were here early. I have ancestors from both places.

There weren't many fiddlers where I grew up though, didn't pick with them that often. Wasn't until I was older that I started to really appreciate the instrument.

Last edited:

Daughter gave me a spare ticket for the Pretty Reckless, (US band) so went to it last night. The musicians were fantastic. System won't let me upload the video though

P1060936.JPG

Attachments

• P1060931.JPG
    P1060931.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Just back from seeing Robert Plant and Suzi Dian and the band of Saving Grace- it was gorgeous. I went blindly, didn't listen to their songs beforehand, but the musicians were truly fantastic - Matt Worley sang also- here's an example of one of the songs- warning there's bit of swearing at the beginning.

Some Jellyroll. I won't bother posting links but if you choose to check him out be aware the language is harsh. Most of his songs tell a story. Most of them are spot on.

Same subject. I think Tom is his homie.

One more, same subject NSFW potty talk warning!

Man, when rappers start going conservative, its over!

I went to the smashing pumpkins/ Jane’s addiction concert- it was fantastic! Perry Ferrell is such a showman and thankfully Billy Corgan didn’t go into his political diatribe.
Can’t upload the videos as they are too large.

Attachments

• 1FCF52D6-3711-4FD1-9413-573DE8AB9DF3.jpeg
    1FCF52D6-3711-4FD1-9413-573DE8AB9DF3.jpeg
    694.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 8CBFCF6E-685D-49A8-975E-D6CA21C80539.jpeg
    8CBFCF6E-685D-49A8-975E-D6CA21C80539.jpeg
    933.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back