What Has Everyone Been Planting Today ?.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I prepped beds and planted more Tendergreen bush beans and more snow peas.

I made a "make do" trellis with chicken wire and bamboo poles.
I always over engineer things and I have to remind myself I'm building
something to hold up pea plants and not to hold in buffalo.

I planted a whole 30 cell flat with jalapeno chili seeds this morning.

I've got another seed order turning up in the post soon
and in it will be my long awaited polbano chili seeds.
If they turn up in the next two days the planting window for the correct moon phase
will still be open.

I still have pumpkins seeds to plant....somewhere.

this might not be the right place for this but here goes. i am looking for sweet pimento pepper seed and touch me not flower seed. so far have not been able to find them was hopeing somebody on here might have some or know where i can get them. would appreciate it very much.

Gearing up for the next season.

Full sized tomatoes just fail in our 100% humidity and hot, HOT days and torrential down pours of our tropical summers.

I'm planting tried and true, bomb proof cherry varieties - Broad ripple current (yellow), Tomme Toe (red).

I'll be adding a few fussy cherry tomato varieties to the mix this year.
* Barry's Crazy Cherry (yellow grape) - It sets fruit in massive sprays of over 40 grape sized fruits and puts out multiple sprays at a time.
* Isis Candy (Tie dyed red, yellow and orange with a star pattern underneath, round) Very sweet but prone to splitting when over watered.

I even lashed out and brought Paul Robeson tomato seeds for next years growing season to see if they live up to the hype.
From what I've read these tomatoes are fussy divas that aren't anywhere near as productive as other varieties but
once you got the conditions right their flavor is 100% worth the drama.

We'll see what we'll see.

@Tank-Girl we have the same problems with tomatoes in the summer months here too they just shrivel up or get attacked by marauding herds of fruit fly. This is why we grow them in winter and freeze a lot for advanced supplies. Let me know how you go with the other varieties you are planting and whether they work for you.

@Tank-Girl we have the same problems with tomatoes in the summer months here too they just shrivel up or get attacked by marauding herds of fruit fly. This is why we grow them in winter and freeze a lot for advanced supplies. Let me know how you go with the other varieties you are planting and whether they work for you.

I will SC.

The Broad Ripple Currant, Tomme Toe and Sweetie (red round cherry) are my go to's for summer tomato production here.
They're just bomb proof and will withstand the fruit flies and stink beetles that sting the fruit.
We have lime green stink beetles and a jewelled variety.
They sting it and it makes the fruit go brown and rot from the
sting mark out.

Thanks @Tank-Girl I have both of those varieties except the broad ripple currant in seeds here another good cherry tomato is Tiny Tim which is a heirloom one which works well in our heat here too. Think we have some stink beetles but we dispatch them when we see them and they are the brown ones. Looks like you have so much more garden bugs than we have here to contend with but we have a lot of birds here that tend to walk around the garden beds and dispatch a lot of them.

I have stuff coming up and almost ready...Sweet Potatoes, green peppers, Kidney beans, cucumbers, corn, pumpkin, amaranth, sunflowers,,,,,,
IMG_20180803_203406.jpg
IMG_20180803_203428.jpg
IMG_20180803_203450.jpg
IMG_20180803_203505.jpg
IMG_20180803_203607.jpg
IMG_20180803_203052.jpg
IMG_20180803_203106.jpg
IMG_20180803_203144.jpg
IMG_20180803_203153.jpg
IMG_20180803_203215.jpg

Thanks @Tank-Girl I have both of those varieties except the broad ripple currant in seeds here another good cherry tomato is Tiny Tim which is a heirloom one which works well in our heat here too. Think we have some stink beetles but we dispatch them when we see them and they are the brown ones. Looks like you have so much more garden bugs than we have here to contend with but we have a lot of birds here that tend to walk around the garden beds and dispatch a lot of them.

I'm kicking myself because I found this Tasmanian seed business https://seedfreaks.com.au/product-category/tomato/
and they have a lot of awesome rare tomato varieties.

Now I know and I'll save the link for next season.

@Dutchs you gardens look wonderful. Remember with the sweet potatoes only to harvest them once the top vines start to die and then you can pull most of them up by the vine just in case you haven't grown them before. Also leave the sweet potatoes on newspaper either on a garage cement floor or something wooden and leave them for a week to cure in a cool dry area with the dirt still on them. This makes them far sweeter to eat :).

@Dutchs you gardens look wonderful. Remember with the sweet potatoes only to harvest them once the top vines start to die and then you can pull most of them up by the vine just in case you haven't grown them before. Also leave the sweet potatoes on newspaper either on a garage cement floor or something wooden and leave them for a week to cure in a cool dry area with the dirt still on them. This makes them far sweeter to eat :).
Thank You SC15.... And no i haven't grown them before. I sprayed them with Earthworm casting liquid fertilizer last night and keep a little spinosad spray on them to keep the bugs away. Being my first crop it will be nice if they turn out good! I've been told to leave the kidney beans until they completely dry and brown out too and then the whole plant just comes up! This is a lot of fun. Thanks again...I really appreciate everyone's advice.....I had watched a video on making sure you cure them. I had forgotten until you just reminded me. Thanks

Most welcome @Dutchs :). We only found this out through watching YouTube videos the first time we grew them and the sweet potatoes will keep for a couple of months if kept cool. By curing them for a while you will also find out the ones that aren't so good and after curing start blanching and freezing and using the little ones first and then the big ones. The smaller ones don't keep so long.

For your next crop what we do is save the little baby ones and dig a hole and plant them around a watering dripper and you will have sweet potatoes forever more without buying any ever again and you will also have some roots already there anyway which will grow more after harvesting. Once we plant them for the new season we just mulch and water them. You will get most of the sweet potatoes up just by the pulling the slightly dead vines up but if yours are anything like ours that some were the size of soccer balls you may have to get the shovel in there to dig them up.

We are now on our 3rd year of having sweet potatoes to harvest from an initial outlay of $10 from the farmers markets in buying 4 large sweet potatoes we cut in half and buried in the soil.

Big day for planting.

I got the following planted.

3 types of cherry tomatoes - Broad ripple currant, Barry's crazy cherry and Isis Candy.
Dill.
Spring onions.
Red Okra.
Rosellas.
Grey zucchini.
2 types of watermelon - Sugar baby and Golden Midget.
Kajari rockmelon.
Golden nugget pumpkins.
New guinea beans.
Spanish collards.

I got to get the beds ready for the
Rattle snake beans
and the
Kent pumpkins,
but I'm beat and I needed a rest.
If I have any energy left this afternoon when it cools off I get out there with the mattock
and prep the beds to plant them tomorrow.

I'm getting a nice thick stand of sweet potato slips sprouting and once I get the beds
prepped for them and the moon phase is right they'll be planted out as well.

Big day for planting.

I got the following planted.

3 types of cherry tomatoes - Broad ripple currant, Barry's crazy cherry and Isis Candy.
Dill.
Spring onions.
Red Okra.
Rosellas.
Grey zucchini.
2 types of watermelon - Sugar baby and Golden Midget.
Kajari rockmelon.
Golden nugget pumpkins.
New guinea beans.
Spanish collards.

I got to get the beds ready for the
Rattle snake beans
and the
Kent pumpkins,
but I'm beat and I needed a rest.
If I have any energy left this afternoon when it cools off I get out there with the mattock
and prep the beds to plant them tomorrow.

I'm getting a nice thick stand of sweet potato slips sprouting and once I get the beds
prepped for them and the moon phase is right they'll be planted out as well.
That's fantastic TG! Best of luck they all grow to a great harvest!

@Tank-Girl that is a mighty effort planting all those in one day as I know how long they take to plant. You are right there is nothing like growing your own produce and preserving it and looking and seeing progress in the cupboards too.

The cost of fruit and veg is steadily rising here so I imagine with the drought they may skyrocket shortly.

I'm having some nice harvest and stuff is growing pretty nice, amaranth, Sorghum, sunflowers, radishes, cucumbers, peppers, pumpkin, corn is just ok....okra is awesome. Gladolias are very pretty! And not to forget horseradish!
IMG_20180819_120238.jpg
IMG_20180819_120232.jpg
IMG_20180819_120216.jpg
IMG_20180819_120208.jpg
IMG_20180819_120140.jpg
IMG_20180819_120054.jpg
IMG_20180819_120041.jpg
IMG_20180819_120028.jpg
IMG_20180819_120025.jpg
IMG_20180819_120009.jpg

Latest posts

Back