What is Everybody Reading?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still doing bible study in Proverbs. Ran across a verse from a reference to other verses that stood out to me I had never read before. I'll have to go thru my notes and pull that out
image.jpg

One of the books I received for Christmas. It’s huge! Has all the cross references listed.
image.jpg

WOW. That is an AWESOME reference. I have 4 different reference bibles I'm using. Sometimes they have the exact same verses listed, sometimes there will be different or extra verse listed. I'm also in some cases going to the reference from a given verse to where it refers to.
That is where I found this verse. Started with Proverbs 1:26, Referred to Zephaniah 1:15, then Amos 5:18. I've never read either Zephaniah or Amos to much degree. Certainly not as part of a true study.

My computer book is the third book in Left Behind, my bring along book is, Ten Acres Enough, and my table book is Homestead Tsunami by Joel Salatin. Too many at once
I am trying to start reading multiple books at a time, maybe 2 maybe 3, of different genres. But I'm just having trouble having time to read much at all. Drives me nuts, I used to read for 2-4 hours a day. Looking forward to retirement and having time to read on my own schedule. Not just when time permits.

I have multiple books on the go at the minute for different modules - on the go at the minute The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, Heart Songs by Annie Proulx, and Cursed by Marie O'Regan, which are modern twists on Fairytales. About to begin the Joy Luck Club, by Amy Tan.

So think I mentioned sometime back that I bought a stack of old magazines for 2.5 cents each. I put them in chronological order by months and just finished the January issues. There are many gaps and random years. Most are from the 80s and a few early 90’s. They have been interesting and enjoyable with articles 1-2 pages geared towards men and women (general audience). Well I just finished the last Jan issue last night. It was from 2002. It was awful. So the change happened sometime in the late 90’s. This magazine was all geared toward women, environment, meatless diet blah blah blah and maybe 2 paragraphs on any given topic.

Just started reading Story of the Wild West by W.F. Cody (Buffalo Bill). Published around 1902.

Any good? I find it difficult to find good books on that time period, lots of legend/hyperbole interspersed and I (usually) prefer more accurate accounts. The more i read books on mountain men the more i see them contradicting eachother and inflating the truth a bit. Hard to know what's true and what's legend in that subject- but I do love it.

That author specifically has like 100 books on the subject and I try to avoid straight up "blood and thunder" type books (though I read hamptons sides' and enjoyed it) in favor of more (hopefully) historically accurate accounts that may have a few hidden seeds of old-school survival knowledge I've yet to aquire. I've been eyeballing some of that authors titles for a while now anyways...

I haven't covered Buffalo Bill yet, though I've been to his reservoir and some of his old stomping grounds.

I'm interested in that Buffalo Bill one also. Currently studying books on American literature from 1900 on wards, and two books by native American & Canadian people 'There There', by Tommy Orange and 'Indian Horse' by Richard Wagamese for my final essays

Really enjoyed this, on Doc Holiday - Apologies if I have shared it before (@Morgan101 one for you?)
https://www.amazon.com/Doc-Novel-Mary-Doria-Russell/dp/1400068045

Really enjoyed this, on Doc Holiday -

Glad you enjoyed it. That is my favorite part of American history, and I have a very nice collection of books on that era. I have read quite a bit about Doc Holiday, and I always enjoy reading more. Thanks for the link.

I just finished "Midworld" by Alan Dean Foster. He built a very different and interesting world here (written back in 1975, but I just now read it). I enjoyed it. Supposedly the movie "Avatar" drew inspiration from this book.

Midworld.jpg

A jungle planet must defend against exploitative aliens in this novel by the #1 New York Times–bestselling author of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

From the rich imagination of science fiction great Alan Dean Foster comes the story of Midworld, a Humanx Commonwealth planet that’s equally fragile and hostile. Covered by a lush rainforest, Midworld is home to a primitive society that lives in harmony with the natural world. But the arrival of an exploitative human company, whose workers know nothing of Midworld’s delicate ecosystem, sparks a conflict. Should Midworld’s villagers aid the humans or stand against them? The hero of Foster’s addictive page-turner, Born, decides to lead two humans across the perilous jungle. His choice propels Midworld toward annihilation—and leads him headlong into a battle for survival.

Finished one of my books last night “Through the Kitchen Window.” I don’t really know how to describe it. It is set up by seasons and has a few recipes but isn’t a cookbook. More about how the seasons determine what we eat and do. I was trying to read it with the seasons but when summer hits, I don’t get as much reading done so it was set aside.
A simple but good book- will keep it.

I've a ton of books on the go for my essays and presentations.
The Mammoth book of Native Americans
The Joy Luck Club
American Literature after 1929
What is American Literature
Literature in the Modern World
Jesus's Son (Denis Johnson)
Also researching Sanorra Babb, interesting connection to Dust Bowl literature if you are into that era https://www.sanorababb.com/

Don’t laugh: The Wind in the Willows
Haven’t read it since I was a child- prereading it before a young friend so she can tell me about it afterwards. It has remarkable vocabulary (1908).
Not laughing! When I got my kindle years ago the first books I reread (for free) were the Anne of Green Gables set. Once or twice a year I revert to a children's book to see if it's as good as I remember.
Got my husband to read Lord of the Flies last week :)

Not laughing! When I got my kindle years ago the first books I reread (for free) were the Anne of Green Gables set. Once or twice a year I revert to a children's book to see if it's as good as I remember.
Got my husband to read Lord of the Flies last week :)
Anne of GG is on the list. This is an eight almost nine year old who loves 8-9 year old stuff but is in 5th grade level. Her parents are awesome and “protective” of what she reads as they are fully aware of what some of the garbage out there promotes.
Still in the middle of three books going on. "Folks, this ain't normal", a Joel Salatin book, the book of Deuteronomy (study with husband), and one of the "Left Behind" series books.
I think I’ve read that JS book(s). I have read a few of his but can’t keep track of which ones.

Latest posts

Back