What is Everybody Reading?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FIRST BLOOD by Jack Schaefer, a great Western story... I also read OLD RAMON by the same author, as it was short, more like a novella. I'm enjoying these works by Jack Schaefer, I'll go through everything the library has with his name on it, lol. Next time I exchange books, I'm gonna try more Robert B. Parker too, I already went through all his Westerns in our library. Hey, free checkout for library books & DVDs, it's free entertainment! ;)

I just started reading "Outland" by Dennis E. Taylor. I read it about four years ago. The sequel "Earthside" came out fairly recently and I have forgotten most of what happened in the first novel, so I am re-reading it before continuing on to the second book. It's a "portal to an alternate Earth where humans did not develop" story. College age kids who were thrown into it unexpectedly and have to start a new society in Outland. As I recall, the first book was a quick and enjoyable romp. Not a literary masterpiece, but a fun escapism read. I think it was Taylor's first published novel (not sure).

View attachment 110836

I'm done with the first one (definitely a quick read) and halfway through the sequel. Thanks to a sleepless night two days ago. Woke up in the middle of the night, couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up and read. Until the sun came up. Got 45% of the book completed in that one late night reading session. It's a fun enough read. I'd classify it as "young adult fiction". Because the story is more or less just handed to you, and doesn't require much thinking. Sometimes I like this light reading better than the heavy books where I have to go back and re-read a paragraph several times to figure out what's going on. Depends on my mood.

I (Tina) have IIH (IDIOPATHIC INTRACRANIAL HYPERTENSION), so I listen to ridiculous amounts of audiobooks bc my eyes suck most days!

I tend to jump from genre to genre. The genres of this series is Sci-fi, Historical Fiction & Fantasy. Right now I'm "reading" book # 3 in the Glass and Steele Series by CJ Archer.

Do you know about the app Hoopla? I get free access to it from my Library Card! Audio & Ebooks, Music, Movies & TV! It's awesome!!

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (fourth book in the series).

I'm about a quarter century behind in finally getting around to reading this series, but better late than never. The books are fun to read. I throw one of these books in here and there between other novels in my favorite genre - Action/Adventure.

I found a stack of Country Living magazines from the late 80s. Funny to look through and see decorating trends from the era, but in each issue there are 2 articles written about living in the country growing up. The one I read last night was from a gal born in the’20s and how her dad made a place for them to swim in the creek. Another about churning butter I think. Just nice little memories recalled in an easy read format.

Just finished re-reading two SF "Oldies but Goodies" from my shelf:

"Earth Abides", George R. Stewart, 1949
"A Canticle for Leibowitz", Walter R. Miller , 1959

You can see by the date that these go way back ("Canticle" was in its third reprint before Herbert even thought of "Dune"). They are absolute classics of post-apocalyptic social science fiction. If you've never heard of 'em, check 'em out at the link above; then read 'em! They're long and very dense; plan on a couple weeks apiece unless you're one of those folks who locks themselves in the room with a keg of Amber Bock and three 72-hour emergency supply boxes, and don't leave until you've finished.

They're that good.

"Earth Abides", George R. Stewart, 1949
"A Canticle for Leibowitz", Walter R. Miller , 1959

I read Earth Abides a few years ago. It was very good.
Canticle I have not read yet. I own it, and it's in my pile of "to be read" books. I'll get to it sooner or later.

For those that liked Earth Abides, you might also like Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

I read Earth Abides a few years ago. It was very good.
Canticle I have not read yet. I own it, and it's in my pile of "to be read" books. I'll get to it sooner or later.

For those that liked Earth Abides, you might also like Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
Also Footfall, also by Niven and Pournelle, and it also includes alien invaders, and N&P spend as much time on them as the almost-post-apocalyptic people.

Last edited:
I have started a new Michael Connelly book. I really enjoyed the last one of his that I read. For those who have Amazon Prime, Michael Connelly wrote the "Bosch" series. There were two seasons on Amazon Prime and I enjoyed them very much. Bosch, the main character, is an LAPD homocide detective in the first season, and then is a Private Invetigator in the second season

I have started a new Michael Connelly book. I really enjoyed the last one of his that I read. For those who have Amazon Prime, Michael Connelly wrote the "Bosch" series. There were two seasons on Amazon Prime and I enjoyed them very much. Bosch, the main character, is an LAPD homocide detective in the first season, and then is a Private Invetigator in the second season
I binged both of the Bosch series this past busy, busy summer. When I had a moment between appointments, I would sit down, eat and watch. I know that I will likely watch this series again. If there is anything that I watch and like, sooner or later I will watch it again, at least once.

For those who get them, what are the predictions for the year from the Farmers Almanac? From past experience are those predictions accurate?
I find the overall outlook has been pretty accurate. It also has the charts for signs and moon phases which aid in planting and harvesting if you have the knowledge. Then there are stories and tips which I find some years better than others. So they are more than weather prediction. Oh yeah, there is a chart of best fishing days.
I get this one:

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back