What is Everybody Reading?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The book of Revelations.
I'm getting the idea we either missed it, it will be like every other news day, or we're blued, screwed and soon to be tattooed.

Between morning chores and kitchen prep work this afternoon, I read half of BUTCH CASSIDY: THE LOST YEARS by William W. Johnstone (with J. A. Johnstone). I didn't like the intro, but once the narrative really began, it was a whole new ballgame, lol. Great story, I'm looking forward to reading more of it here pronto... :)

Nobody really knows whether Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid died in Bolivia, it's still somewhat of a mystery, and disputed to this day. Maybe they actually survived, lol, and got away to pursue further adventures. You'd think the Bolivians would've displayed their corpses, if only to prove that they were dead... 🤔

It is- one of the most disturbing things I've read. Just finished my first Denis Johnson book - 'Jesus's Son'

Reactions: Neb
I'm currently working my way through MONTE WALSH, by Jack Schaefer... same author who wrote SHANE and numerous other Westerns. Pretty good book, realistic as far as the Old West goes. No fairy tale existence, living in the Old West, lol, plenty of ways to get injured or die, and everyday life was usually a struggle. Still is, thanks to Biden Economics, pfffffffft. No shortage of outlaws either, especially on the left, but they'll never have to answer for their criminal BS, not under the Biden Crime Family... meh, I digress. Going back to MONTE WALSH, it's a good story so far, though I understand that it was originally written as several separate stories, and chronological gaps were filled in later by the author. 🤔

Sucker Punch & Rafael by Laurell K. Hamilton.

Boy, that MONTE WALSH book really gave a good look at a cowboy's life back in the Old West. Took me awhile to realize I had already read this book many years ago... perhaps decades ago. The part about painting the door is what jarred my memory, that was a classic scene, lol. Great read, even though there are moments of grief and sadness... just like life, aye? I think I'll read SHANE next, I don't believe I've ever read that novel, though I've seen the movie with Alan Ladd many times... good movie too, Jack Palance makes an appearance as a bad guy, lol. I bagged several books by Jack Schaefer from our local library during my last visit, so I'll stick with the author for awhile and see how he does in the other novels. He certainly did a fine job of portraying a cowboy's life in MONTE WALSH... 🤠

Photography books, watercolor book, and a wildflower book. I have also started a bad habit of checking books out from the library and if I like it too much then I get on thrift book’s website and order it. So far everything I’ve ordered has been in like new condition for good prices.

Well, I spent an enjoyable afternoon reading SHANE, and that is a classic Western... just as good as the movie, if not better. I'm gaining new appreciation for Jack Schaefer and his work, I have three other novels of his to read in the week ahead, lol. But right now, I have to get out and water... the worst of the heat has broken and the sun is low in the sky, so this is a good time to water all the trees & plants. 😁

Still working on Revelations of Divine Love by Julian of Norwich. In addition to being a very slow read, I haven't had a ton of reading time lately. Currently in Rev. 14 of 16 but 14 and 15 are the longest so . . . .
However, picked this one up yesterday for a buck. I have seen it on lists among the most resourceful of food preservation books so nabbed it. Began glancing through it last night - In addition to stating what works, she also lists things that if you use or try, you will probably regret which is super knowledge.
IMG_5916.jpg
IMG_5914.jpg
IMG_5915.jpg

PS - Excuse the finger nails Pearl - been shelling peas all day. 😣

I just started reading "Outland" by Dennis E. Taylor. I read it about four years ago. The sequel "Earthside" came out fairly recently and I have forgotten most of what happened in the first novel, so I am re-reading it before continuing on to the second book. It's a "portal to an alternate Earth where humans did not develop" story. College age kids who were thrown into it unexpectedly and have to start a new society in Outland. As I recall, the first book was a quick and enjoyable romp. Not a literary masterpiece, but a fun escapism read. I think it was Taylor's first published novel (not sure).

QuantumEarth.png

Currently reading COMPANY OF COWARDS by Jack Schaefer, and it is really good. This book has the best description of Civil War fighting I have EVER read, particularly the chapter on the 'Battle of the Wilderness'---a bloody battle in the wild woods of Virginia, with neither side claiming victory. The book also delves into a subsequent battle at Bloody Angle, near the Spotsylvania Court House... just reading the account makes one cringe, it was a slaughter. But the book is a good read, I've reached the part where the men accused of cowardice are meeting each other, and it is friggin' hilarious! I'm gonna read the rest of it tonight, after I water the trees & plants in the yard. It may rain tonight, but I'm gonna water anyway, just in case it doesn't rain... I've been disappointed too many times in recent months to expect rainfall in the high desert. :rolleyes:

I'm really starting to appreciate Jack Schaefer as an author... like all good authors, he has a way with words. :cool:

Edit: You can learn more about the 'Battle of the Wilderness' at American Battlefield Trust, it was a bloody battle with nearly 29,000 casualties. :(

Further edit: The actual casualty count was around 29,800 soldiers, roughly 17,000 Union troops and 13,000 Confederate troops. An ugly battle in the densely overgrown woods, that's for sure... :oops:

Last edited:
I got a dozen books today from a yard sale. Will let you know if any are stellar. Thought this was interesting though. Didn’t know he had a son.
7FC0FC66-4E9E-4BE6-A90F-393BC760C1E7.jpeg

Also a c. 1934 of Davey Crocket so that might be a fun one.
A couple garden books, a couple origami that will be gifted along with a ream of paper and some misc.

I'm reading APPALOOSA, by Robert B. Parker... in fact, I picked up the entire series featuring Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch while I was at the library. Not bad reading, I like the first book better than the movie. Meh, it's free entertainment for me during this ongoing heat wave, and I don't add to my electricity bill by reading, lol. Gonna finish the first book in the series later today, maybe get started on the second... I always check copyright dates to ensure correct order when it comes to a series of books. Not that difficult to do, and I don't like reading books out of sequence. Better to read 'em as they were written, aye? I've never read these books before, so I'm enjoying the first in the series... as far as I can tell, the series goes something like this:

1) APPALOOSA

2) RESOLUTION

3) BRIMSTONE

4) BLUE-EYED DEVIL

5) BULL RIVER

There may be other books in the series, perhaps already checked out by another patron, or maybe the library doesn't have the full series, but I have all the books listed above, so I'm gonna work my way through 'em, lol. Should be a good way to ride out the heat this week... I still get exercise in the mornings and evenings as I do my chores and knock out tasks in the yard, but this oppressive heat limits my desire to go out and do things away from the property, yeah? Or even on the property! Heck, I didn't even mix up the Pina Coladas yesterday, it was easier to grab more beer, lol... :cool:

Edit: Hmm, I just looked at the books again, and the last one listed (BULL RIVER) also has the name Robert Knott on it, so I'm not sure who wrote it. I've already learned that Robert B. Parker wrote at least 70 novels, including the Spenser detective novels and the Jesse Stone series (which I have NOT read). Dunno why this Knott is listed as an author, maybe he's some sycophantic slag who just wants to be associated with the real author, lol. Robert B. Parker is touted on one book cover as "the dean of American crime fiction." Dunno whether that's true... wasn't Mario Puzo an American? 😒

Last edited:
One Foot in The Grave
&
Dead on my feet
By Wm. Mark Simmons
It is Goth Horror of five books about a man who gets mix up with Vampires that rule from the shadows like the mob bosses.

Got this from the library- about Irish women in America. A surprisingly large amount of females were incarcerated by their parents for 'being stubborn'. I wouldn't have lasted in the 19th century ;) lots of research is apparent, but in a way, the facts and figures are a little distracting from the actual personal stories. Good if you like social history, and was originally a podcast, which is on here Bad Bridget Project Podcast | Research | Queen's University Belfast

1691742655608.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Bridget-Crime-Mayhem-Emigrant/dp/184488581X

I'm reading APPALOOSA, by Robert B. Parker... in fact, I picked up the entire series featuring Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch while I was at the library. Not bad reading, I like the first book better than the movie. Meh, it's free entertainment for me during this ongoing heat wave, and I don't add to my electricity bill by reading, lol. Gonna finish the first book in the series later today, maybe get started on the second... I always check copyright dates to ensure correct order when it comes to a series of books. Not that difficult to do, and I don't like reading books out of sequence. Better to read 'em as they were written, aye? I've never read these books before, so I'm enjoying the first in the series... as far as I can tell, the series goes something like this:

1) APPALOOSA

2) RESOLUTION

3) BRIMSTONE

4) BLUE-EYED DEVIL

5) BULL RIVER

There may be other books in the series, perhaps already checked out by another patron, or maybe the library doesn't have the full series, but I have all the books listed above, so I'm gonna work my way through 'em, lol. Should be a good way to ride out the heat this week... I still get exercise in the mornings and evenings as I do my chores and knock out tasks in the yard, but this oppressive heat limits my desire to go out and do things away from the property, yeah? Or even on the property! Heck, I didn't even mix up the Pina Coladas yesterday, it was easier to grab more beer, lol... :cool:

Edit: Hmm, I just looked at the books again, and the last one listed (BULL RIVER) also has the name Robert Knott on it, so I'm not sure who wrote it. I've already learned that Robert B. Parker wrote at least 70 novels, including the Spenser detective novels and the Jesse Stone series (which I have NOT read). Dunno why this Knott is listed as an author, maybe he's some sycophantic slag who just wants to be associated with the real author, lol. Robert B. Parker is touted on one book cover as "the dean of American crime fiction." Dunno whether that's true... wasn't Mario Puzo an American? 😒

I loved Robert B. Parker. Broke my heart when he passed away. I read all of the Virgil Cole books, and I liked the ones Robert Kott wrote. I read all of the Jesse Stone novels, and enjoyed the movies. The Spencer for Hire series was my favorite, and that has continued being ghost written by Ace Atkins.

I'm currently reading THE HOLDOUT, by Robert Steelman. It's a comical story about the misadventures of a ne'er-do-well gambler as he makes his way across the country to reunite with his lost girl... the story takes place around the end of the Civil War. I also picked up some more Jack Schaefer books last time I went to the library, he is the author of SHANE, so I'm looking forward to reading more of his work. Oh, yeah, in reply to all of you who mentioned Robert B. Parker's other works, I intend to read some of those books, even if they're NOT Westerns, lol... (gasp!) ;)

Latest posts

Back