What is Everybody Reading?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the overall outlook has been pretty accurate. It also has the charts for signs and moon phases which aid in planting and harvesting if you have the knowledge. Then there are stories and tips which I find some years better than others. So they are more than weather prediction. Oh yeah, there is a chart of best fishing days.
I get this one:

View attachment 121885
In general it's reasonably accurate for some things. Weather forecast is over such a wide area, it could be spot on and totally off where you live at. Fishing forecast is similar to the weather and is based on the moon phases.
I use it primarily for gardening signs and such. My dad and granddad always used them. I want to carry on the tradition.
Mine is the Blum's version. I'll try and get a pic of it later.

I find the overall outlook has been pretty accurate. It also has the charts for signs and moon phases which aid in planting and harvesting if you have the knowledge. Then there are stories and tips which I find some years better than others. So they are more than weather prediction. Oh yeah, there is a chart of best fishing days.
I get this one:

View attachment 121885

Thank you for your feedback. I may get one.

I bought myself a Christmas present, Mike Glover's book Prepared. I really liked his You Tube videos, so I thought I would give it a try. It isn't long, only about 230 pages, but it really asks questions that make you think.

I started reading it. Then I read it with a highlighter. Then I read it with a highlighter and a notepad to write down things I needed to do. Much of it is based on his military experience but he relates those experiences into modern day civilian life. I enjoyed it very much.

1704289031289.png

"Empire of things". How we became a whole world of consumers.

Very interesting book that goes back to the fifteenth century and follows developing civilization and trade, money, goods. And the evolution of wants, needs, and luxuries.

Full of interesting stories. For instance, that of Karl Marx fleeing Russia to live in jolly old London England. And a miserable wretch of his own making? His wife of royalty and two children pulled from high class luxury and thrust into living like paupers, dependant on the goodwill of liberals and the pawning of everything with value. Because he despised working for wages!

But the book does a good job of showing the progression of people's perceived needs. And complexities of a consumer driven economy.

I bought myself a Christmas present, Mike Glover's book Prepared. I really liked his You Tube videos, so I thought I would give it a try. It isn't long, only about 230 pages, but it really asks questions that make you think.

I started reading it. Then I read it with a highlighter. Then I read it with a highlighter and a notepad to write down things I needed to do. Much of it is based on his military experience but he relates those experiences into modern day civilian life. I enjoyed it very much.

View attachment 122219
I love when books make me reread them (because they are good).

Well the Left Behind series was super pricey in book form, so husband put it on Kindle and put it on my computer. I'll read it. I think it's 12 books for about $30 or so. In paperback, it's over $200. I'll also look for a used set.

Well the Left Behind series was super pricey in book form, so husband put it on Kindle and put it on my computer. I'll read it. I think it's 12 books for about $30 or so. In paperback, it's over $200. I'll also look for a used set.
I’d never heard of that. Alibris has them $2-$8 each (used) + shipping however there are free shipping options and coupon codes. Errrr don’t ask me how I know that 😖. You already have it, but for next time 😊

Oh, that's terrible, Mo. Husband is having his prescription recheck done Friday...he had his eyes done around Thanksgiving time. He is still having some cloudiness, but can see better.
I go back to the Eye Doctor tomorrow.
I thought I was being so careful.
But missed the instruction about sneezing.
And of course I don't sneeze lady like delicately.

I'm kind of in a lull. Other than some Bible study I can't seem to hold interest on anything. I guess to much other crap running thru my feeble mind
Try finding some short humorous essays - like 1-2 page funny accounts. Being short, you aren't committing to a novel. Being funny, they are good for the soul. And lastly, might help you out of the slump. 😊

Been down a cs Lewis rabbit hole recently. Basically rereading all of his books- currently on the screwtape letters.
Gifted writer.

My 16 yo bought and read World War Z last week. He insisted that I read it. I suspect there will be a pop quiz of sorts when I’m done. Apparently he saw lots of parallels with recent history and current events. Part of me wanted to ask him why on earth so I need to immerse myself in more of it and another part is deeply relieved that he gets the world and seeks out more understanding.

My 16 yo bought and read World War Z last week. He insisted that I read it. I suspect there will be a pop quiz of sorts when I’m done. Apparently he saw lots of parallels with recent history and current events. Part of me wanted to ask him why on earth so I need to immerse myself in more of it and another part is deeply relieved that he gets the world and seeks out more understanding.
What a good parent he is making his kid read a good book- errrr what’s wrong with that statement 😂
I do understand the complexity of feelings though in regards to knowing what’s going on in the world. Knowledge is a power. If you can share with him what’s going on without emotion as cause and effect circumstances, he will be better able to cope with whatever does come about. Good for you reading the book. Many teens don’t want their parents to know what they are reading.

Reading for World Literature module, a strange book called The God of Small Things. The God of Small Things
There is some spectacular imagery, but it's confusing and I'm losing track of who's who.

Thesis reading: Annie Proulx HeartSongs - love her stuff, she writes like a man and that's not meant as a insult, to either sex, it's just an observation.

Latest posts

Back