What is Everybody Reading?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been looking for something that I have that I have no idea where I got it from. It may have been in a used bible I bought at a yard sale. I just found it. It is certainly more than I ever could have covered when I was teaching, and even a lot now. Add some prayers in there, a little worship music, and the day is full.

Daily and Annual Bible Reading Schedule
5 Psalms per day of the month; complete each month
1 chapter per day of Proverbs; complete each month
1 chapter per day of the Gospels; 89 chapters, complete once per quarter
1 chapter per day of the Epistles (Acts to Revelation, 171 chapters); complete every six months
2 chapters per day of the Old Testament (748 chapters, not including Psalms and Proverbs); complete annually
That's a lot of reading & to me - thoughtful reading. If I read that much, I would be moving my eyes over the words not getting anything from it. I think I would rather do as I do and read what I can and ponder it deeply. I should read more of it more often, but when I do, at least it's meaningful. Also, many know the Bible far better than me & can recite verses etc. I'm not that good or knowledgeable.

That's a lot of reading & to me - thoughtful reading. If I read that much, I would be moving my eyes over the words not getting anything from it. I think I would rather do as I do and read what I can and ponder it deeply. I should read more of it more often, but when I do, at least it's meaningful. Also, many know the Bible far better than me & can recite verses etc. I'm not that good or knowledgeable.
I already take more than an hour each morning for my devotions. Some mornings more, some less. I keep a notebook with notes of what books and chapters I am reading and what speaks to me or what I don't understand. The notebook helps me keep track of where I am. I have a study guide which I read also to help with understanding. Some of what I read goes on notecards. I too am careful and thoughtful of what I am reading. If I tried to read all that is on that suggested reading list, I would just be reading and I believe I would be missing the meaning. Or at least I think I would.

Thats a good list Weedy, but way more than I complete daily. I tend to agree with LadyL that I would just be reading and not really digesting very well.

I have 2 study bibles and try to read those and go thru the other referenced verses. I have found that tends to help me understand and get more out of it. Making notes as you go is another good idea. I don't do that enough, but it sure gives you a chance to look back over what you got from that reading. Sometimes interesting to go back and compare a current study with one from the past of the same material.

Thats a good list Weedy, but way more than I complete daily. I tend to agree with LadyL that I would just be reading and not really digesting very well.

I have 2 study bibles and try to read those and go thru the other referenced verses. I have found that tends to help me understand and get more out of it. Making notes as you go is another good idea. I don't do that enough, but it sure gives you a chance to look back over what you got from that reading. Sometimes interesting to go back and compare a current study with one from the past of the same material.
A wise man goeth into his storehouse and forth treasure both old and new.

Ben

PASTOR'S HELPFUL HINTS WHEN READING THE HOLY SCRIPTURES – 04/08/2021

TRY READING FULL BOOKS AT ONE TIME
*USE JESUS AS THE INTERPRETIVE KEY – GIVE JESUS THE PRIORITY
FOCUS ON THE GOSPELS – CHRISTIANS CAN BE SUSTAINED WITH THE GOSPELS ALONE
(EARLY CHRISTIANS SHARED THE SCROLLS)
READ IN COMMUNITY. FAMILY AND IN CHURCH
DON’T GET DISCOURAGED WHEN READING THE BIBLE – KEEP ON READING – GOD WILL OPEN THE SCRIPTURES UP TO YOU WHEN HE SEES YOU NEED IT
READ LARGE CHUNKS OF THE BIBLE AT A TIME – IF YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND KEEP ON READING – READ THE WHOLE BOOK

Just thought of another one folks here might enjoy. It's an oldy so has good words. Aunt Jane of Kentucky
@phideaux Have you ever hear of that one? Anyhoo, it's not a difficult read and is actually like a half dozen short recollections. If you like old times, you might enjoy the read.

@Neb
Atlas Shrugged - I'm about 1/2 way through CD #3, she has 1 more day in the valley. Don't give up on me, just haven't had as much time to listen. Still freaky as to how it parallels what I see around me.
Not giving up on you.

The parallels is what drove me to read (listen) it again recently. The background story on the motor company and people today claiming to be victims to get more stuff. The great society that Johnson put in place with welfare and women not getting married and having more children for more welfare money. Companies not in bed with politicians getting squeezed while elbow rubbers getting sweet deals.

The pace of the narrative picks up as soon as departs the gulch.

Ben

This is a book that talks about how man got the plant we use today.
The origins, the plant hybridization & breeding as far back as 1600-1700. The role of botanical gardens of the imperial era & Break through of the late nineteenth & twentieth centuries with men like
Liberty Hyde Bailey in plant sciences. Things like corn was a grass, now it is a sweet food crop that has moved into a filler & sweeter for many food we eat today.
People I know look down on hybrids as 2nd class seeds, but every seed that is farmed today is a hybrid, because Europe was hybridizing
long before we crossed the pond & so was many other civilizations.
This was done before GMO's & I wonder if anyone will know the differences in one hundred years. Or will it all be lost in History.

Last edited:
This is a book that talks about how man got the plant we use today.
The origins, the plant hybridization & breeding as far back as 1600-1700. The role of botanical gardens of the imperial era & Break through of the late nineteenth & twentieth centuries with men like
Liberty Hyde Bailey in plant sciences. Things like corn was a grass, now it is a sweet food crop that has moved into a filler & sweeter for many food we eat today.
People I know look down on hybrids as 2nd class seeds, but every seed that is farmed today is a hybrid, because Europe was hybridizing
long before we crossed the pond & so was many other civilizations.
This was done before GMO's & I wonder if anyone will know the differences in one hundred years. Or will it all be lost in History.

The above is what you should have seen with a photo of the book.

Today. PROVERBS
I just read Proverbs 21this morning. I thought these verses were great and made me think of some of you and conversations we've had on other threads.
NKJ
21:9 Better to dwell in a corner of a housetop,
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman.

21:17 He who loves pleasure will be a poor man;
He who loves wine and oil will not be rich.

21:19 Better to dwell in the wilderness.
Than with a contentious and angry woman.

21:23 Whoever guards his mouth and tongue
Keeps his soul from troubles.

I think we could have a few Biblical threads. Proverbs alone could bring up interesting discussion. Psalms would also be a good thread to have.

Just thought of another one folks here might enjoy. It's an oldy so has good words. Aunt Jane of Kentucky . . . .

I love that story and even have an old copy of the book.

It would be impossible for me to name a favorite Bible verse but one at the top of the list is KJV Psalms 8:1

O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!
Who hast set thy glory above the heavens.

This morning Proverbs 1 and 2 and Daniel 1
Daniel is one if my favorite characters and books and read it maybe 50 times.

One of the other prophets when speaking how far the people have fallen repeatedly used the phrase;

"
Even uf Noah, Daniel and Job....

"
Daniel being the only Hebrew in that list. The book of Daniel is the only part of the Bible that contained text not originally written in Hebrew or Greek ( the Nubucanezar gone crazy story).

The part ate in the book where Daniel was praying and fasting to learn the meaning of his visions and Gabriele showed up to explain saying;

"We re busy so chill"

Still cracks me up.

Ben

Yes, Daniel of the Lions den, never fell asleep reading about him or the 4th man walking in the furnaces.
Heard they even had a scene in the new Dr. Dolittle, in which the Good Doctor is being chased by a hungry feline, while trying to talk it out of making a meal of him. Wonder where they got that ideal from?!?

Am at part 84 of 86 on 3rd of 4 CDs in Atlas Shrugged.
Am also about 1/2 way through "Christ of the Celts". So far it's interesting and a slightly different take on a few things but not Earth-shattering revelation.
Also, should be receiving another book "Domestic Beings" c 1984 which has diary entries from women during the 18th century. (I like real history).

Reading, "Old Skool", by Annie Berdel. Pretty good so far
What's it about?

I just finished Atlas Shrugged. Creepy in that it seems to be exactly where we are headed. $$$ everywhere but nothing to buy, brainless dictators ignoring facts and devoid of logic. The one thing that stuck with me that was probably "odd" was regarding the couple with the kids in the valley of the 20th cty motor co. - I wonder if they noticed any difference. My guess is not. And from that, if we can become non-dependent of corporations, we might fare better during times of hardship. The book was definitely geared towards business & government which of course it needed to be, but makes me wonder at the lives of the rural. Just thoughts.

Latest posts

Back