What is Everybody Reading?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm into 2 books at the moment... An old volume of a family history people from Alaska.. Titled simply ..Alaska... This book starting when Alaska was still Russian owned in 1867, and I have read up through the early 1930s so far...

The other book .. Grass Beyond The Mountain.. is about a couple of young cowboys in the early 1920s who moved to norther British Columbia to ranch.. I've carried a rifle over more kilometers of the same country than I care to talk about..

I love those kind of books too @Tim Horton
Just finished a new book by a woman I know 'He used to be me' (Anne Walsh Donnolly) which I really enjoyed. Received a nice selection for Mothers Day also - some Irish poetry and The Wendigo and other stories. I'll be dipping into them while studying. Just finished Colum McCann's 'Let the Great World Spin' for Uni, and starting on 'the Vagrants' (doing world literature) I believe its tough going so not really looking forward to it :) Hoping to get back into some recipe books- the gorse are flowering here, and I know I have a jam recipe to try.

Don’t laugh: The Wind in the Willows
Haven’t read it since I was a child- prereading it before a young friend so she can tell me about it afterwards. It has remarkable vocabulary (1908).
I am going down a rabbit hole here, but I just bought $200.00 in plants from Wind in the Willow nursery in Bethune, S.C.

I recently read Alaskan Wolfman. The story of Frank Glaser. It's about a early hunter trapper, market hunter that had located to Alaska
Another one for my list.

Looking up interviews with the authors I'm studying and found this lady -

I just finished the fourth Harry Potter, "The Goblet of Fire". Now I'm starting on the fifth, "The Order of the Phoenix".

It took J. K. Rowling 10 years to write the entire series. It took me 25 years from the first book's release date to start reading it. My goal is to finish the series before that first book turns 30. My goals are rather leisurely these days.

Just finished up "The Lost Friends" by Lisa Wingate.

On audiobook, listening to the fifth book of the Outlander series, "The Fiery Cross." This is my third go-around with most of the Outlander audiobooks. They're good to have in my headphones when I'm working on the house (sometimes I just have to take a break from the radio and all the cr*p going on in the world...) Each audiobook is about 50 hours, so they keep me entertained for a while.

Next up will be listening to the Going Home series again (A. American), since the 12th audiobook came out. I'm one of those people that has to re-listen to the entire series again to get up to the new release.

I wrote some short stories, I just can't get out of that universe I created, I'm getting like C.J Cherryth. 600 pages+artwork so far.

https://www.abebooks.com/9780752440675/Long-Darkness-Timothy-Egan-0752440675/plp
1714046848975.png

We got lucky at the Library this week. I got the newest release of the Lincoln Lawyer series by Michael Connelly, and my wife got a new David Rosenfelt. We will both read our own, and then switch. We both enjoy both authors.

Being housebound for all of this time, and coming to the realization that television is really pretty bad I have started to go back into my library, and find things of interest. My library is focused on historical non fiction from the period of 1850 - 1900. I am a huge fan of the Old West.

It was heartbreaking to me when the Library closed, and admittedly that caught me very much by surprise. I used to go to the library every week. My wife and I are both voracious readers.

Has anybody else increased their reading? Any favorite genres or authors?
I agree that television isn't good at all. I watch 3 shows a day - all from streaming channels. I watch no current television shows including news (unless there are bad storms and I need the information).

I do all my reading on Kindle. I think Amazon might have a library-like service for online reading. I"m not certain of this but it's worth looking into.

Right now I am reading the Book of Enoch. I think it was removed from the Bible for political reasons of the time. It's a good read.

One of my favorite book series was Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. I read all 14 books and the first five, I read at least twice. It is fiction and fantasy but there is correlation with current events (to me, anyway).

Right now I am reading the Book of Enoch. I think it was removed from the Bible for political reasons of the time. It's a good read.

One of my favorite book series was Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. I read all 14 books and the first five, I read at least twice. It is fiction and fantasy but there is correlation with current events (to me, anyway).
I enjoyed the Book of Enoch. Filled in a lot of the blanks in Genesis.

The Princess is listening to the audio books of Wheel of Time now. I can tell she is coming my way whenI hear " Aisedie".

Ben

I enjoyed the Book of Enoch. Filled in a lot of the blanks in Genesis.

The Princess is listening to the audio books of Wheel of Time now. I can tell she is coming my way whenI hear " Aisedie".

Ben
Wheel of Time was a good series. I tried to watch the tv show that came out, but the casting was all wrong and they did some wrong things to the story that ruined it, so I stopped watching.

Wheel of Time was a good series. I tried to watch the tv show that came out, but the casting was all wrong and they did some wrong things to the story that ruined it, so I stopped watching.
It was the TV series that got The Princess interested in the audio books. We enjoyed the TV series having watched it more than once.

Ben

@Jen Ironic that you mention that- I was just telling a friend that I want to read the Book of Enoch and the Book of Thomas.

I am still working through my old magazines. The last two nights, I read about thatched roofs, April Fools, and the tale of a certain peacock 🦚.
When I finish Wind in the Willows, I will be reading The Brownies by Ewing (1800s).

It was the TV series that got The Princess interested in the audio books. We enjoyed the TV series having watched it more than once.

Ben
The books are much better than the tv series. They seemed to make the Ais sedai and warders gay. That's not how it was in the books. Moraine - too tall. Lan - too small compared to Moraine. They went too racially diverse for Egwene and Nynave. Min is totally wrong. The boys are all okay. But they wrecked the story line so much (Moraine stilled? That wasn't in the book) (that tells me they plan to leave out the whole thing about the doors) . I could be wrong but I just can't watch it. The show is awful.

But then............. I have a whole list of things I think were wrong with the movie they made from Dan Brown's last book.

Those Dan Brown books - Angels and Demons, etc... are really good. I have Digital Fortress sitting here on my desk but I haven't read it. Hubs says it's good.

@Neb . It is hard for me to watch a movie after having read the book so just forgive me for this outburst. I had the same thing happen when I read Hawaii (James Michener) almost 50 years ago and then saw the movie with Julie Andrews. It must be me. :(

Last edited:
@Jen Ironic that you mention that- I was just telling a friend that I want to read the Book of Enoch and the Book of Thomas.

I am still working through my old magazines. The last two nights, I read about thatched roofs, April Fools, and the tale of a certain peacock 🦚.
When I finish Wind in the Willows, I will be reading The Brownies by Ewing (1800s).
The translation of the Book of Enoch that I am reading is the R.H.Charles version. It is a fast read although today I read chapters that kept repeating lines for some reason. I was on my phone and I hope that's where it came from. It was very hard to read. Then it straightened out so I don't know if it was my phone or the translation itself.

I see enough of that on CSI & NCSI.
I am reading Field & Forest Product, a mushroom catalog.
What you see on television is usually nothing like reality.
Most cases on television they gloss over a lot of the horrific, slime, yuck.
Sometimes you can tell how long a body has been somewhere by what's growing around them including mushrooms.

What you see on television is usually nothing like reality.
Most cases on television they gloss over a lot of the horrific, slime, yuck.
Sometimes you can tell how long a body has been somewhere by what's growing around them including mushrooms.
Insects are a big tracker of time, blowfly are there with in hours

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back