What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a shame transportation is causing this, otherwise we could be making up little care packages and trading stuff we need.
I miss CO-OPping and flea market tycoons.

Well, I would have reported on the ham, but they were out... 90/10 hamburger patties were $12 for a package of 4 :( the 80/20 packages were $8 for 4 patties, what a bargain (sarcasm).

The wife was talking about the crop forecast and expected shortages.. Then she noted that someone had posted that they bought 6 months worth of emergency meals, guns, and ammo to deal with what they are expecting. I told her that if the shortages are real it will take 3 to 5 years to sort itself out if we are lucky. 6 months worth of supplies is just enough to get you into the ugly part....

In my book water is the gorilla hiding in the corner, even a well managed garden (even container garden) needs between 1/2 gallon and a full gallon per sq-ft per week, so a 10'X10' plot will be looking at between 50 and 100 gallons of water per week minimum. The warmer it is the more water is needed. Most people will not be thinking about this till it's too late.

Last edited:
Look how long it took for TP to come back in stock after the initial 'great TP scare'. I wonder how many of those people now have a stockpile of TP? That was just a dry run regarding the panic.....and warning. If the shortages occur like predicted, TP will be the least of their worries. Anyone who hasn't stocked up by now just isn't paying attention and they will pay for it dearly.

When the topic comes up among friends and family I always tell them, "well, I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it". It just seems like a common sense answer to me.

I told the kid last week to go and stock up more on canned goods. He said "mom, I've got lots". I told him, "no you don't". I haven't seen what he's got stocked, but whatever it is, it's not enough, especially since he doesn't have a garden.

Regarding shortages at the store.....I think many stores are hiding it by shrinking the shelf space and removing shelves. When I walk through WM and other stores now, I have LOTS of space to manuver the cart around. It wasn't like that a year or so ago. Also, products (like coffee) don't run the whole length of the isle now, just a small portion of it. That's not good.

Just filled up after work. I didn't study the gas prices but diesel across from work was $5.35, I think regular unleaded was about $4.80. Drove to the outskirts to the Piute reservation owned gas station and paid $5.09 for diesel. I don't know what Costco is selling it for here but it usually isn't much less than the reservation and Costco is about 10+ miles out of my way. I do have to drive about 8 miles from work to the reservation but then taking the back way home it is about 5 miles shorter that coming my normal way hoe from work so it isn't much of an inconvenience and there is very little traffic. I just have to watch for the cows but they were all sleeping off the side of the road.

I asked my GF to buy a ham at Costco if the price was decent. Nope, over $40 for a ham. Guess I wont be enjoying snacking on ham any time soon. I am over 4 months on my Keto diet so most days I am only hungry for 1 meal, maybe one and a half. That is the other benefit of avoiding sugar and carbs, your body doesn't crave food several times a day. The chickens, ducks, and turkeys give us plenty of eggs so we wont starve as long as we can keep them fed.
A boneless ham here is like 12$
I think where you buy things like ham can make a difference. Costco has excellent products, but sometimes you pay for that.

There is a shortage of diesel in some places. School districts are having a hard time getting it for their buses. This is probably because somebody somewhere, the powers that be, are pushing for electric powered vehicles.

Rice, frozen foods n chicken area looking slim yesterday .
I was talking to one of the store managers and she said they can only source eggs from texas now..a 5 dozen pack of eggs went from around 5 bucks to 11 , down to 9 around a few months ago n today they are 17.99! The cheapest dozen eggs were now close to 5 bucks a dozen.
I forgot to look at the baby food section..
Of course every time I hit the store most things are up a bit. Especially fresh fruits n veggies too now.

Stop buying it if you do not need it & the price will come down.
I am still eating $0.99 sausages for a pack of five, from my freezer, they where reduced for quick sale.
I understand giving up TP would be hard, but there are a lot of things, that we can live without.

I'm telling you guys, famine by fall! It may not last long, but a LOT of people will be losing a bit of belly.
I'm hogging peanut butter, ravioli and cans of soup, bean dip and fruits.

Most everything here food wise is good. Seems we have yet another attack on the 2nd amendment due to stupid and not enforcing current laws. Yet another distraction to distract the masses. I "heart" NY.... whatever lol... I hate this state but its where I am. I am pushing back. Tired of the BS, the voters of the idiot in charge, etc.

Libroids are like toddlers, when they screw up, they blame everyone else in sight, personal responsibility just isn't in their lexicon.

Just got an email, system wide from the hospital, there is a national shortage of contrast for CT scans. Apparently the supplier (GE) manufactures most of it in Shanghai, and due to the lockdowns....well here we are. Could prove disastrous as once again, the emergent things will get taken care of, but the cancer screenings, etc will be on the backburner, resulting in worsening of disease.

Just got an email, system wide from the hospital, there is a national shortage of contrast for CT scans. Apparently the supplier (GE) manufactures most of it in Shanghai, and due to the lockdowns....well here we are. Could prove disastrous as once again, the emergent things will get taken care of, but the cancer screenings, etc will be on the backburner, resulting in worsening of disease.
Yes, a friend down on the coast has pancreatic cancer! No dye available for the screen! He was told maybe in 4-5 weeks!☹️ Meanwhile..........☹️

Kinda sick and tired of hearing the shortages are from the pandemic. They are from the gvt giving handouts and closing small businesses down.
our local Aldis, has a big bear spot in the back where the onions, bananas, oranges and such were so they rearranged and have some lawn furniture there. Still the same products are there, they just down sized the bins

Yes, a friend down on the coast has pancreatic cancer! No dye available for the screen! He was told maybe in 4-5 weeks!☹ Meanwhile..........☹
Sorry to hear that. 4-5 weeks is a long time with pancreatic cancer, which typically Is fatal and has a short lifespan of 3-6 months once you find out (usually). Hopefully they are treating him anyway, without the scan.

Amazon seems better (currently). Better shipping, the Speed and Rate of price increases seems reduced. Not prices, but the rate of wild increase has slowed.

Some sodas, my favorite energy drinks, some brands of cigarettes and beer, a couple of brands of tequila.
still no 357/44 magnum ammo, military stuff only. a few of the better brands of car care utilities, any and all
computer parts and Altoids are getting scarce.

Went to the Family Dollar today for baby wipes, they had a good variety so we grabbed a 3 pack but Costco has been out of them for a few weeks at least. I did notice that 3/4 of the back wall had a large variety and supply of paper towels and toilet paper with a wide variety of off brand and name brand options. After the shortage a couple years ago it just caught my attention that they had a good supply.

At work at Home Depot the past week or so I noticed some PVC pipe parts are out of stock but not a major concern as others are stocked and some are way over stocked. BUT, the past few weeks we have been receiving last years Halloween decorations that finally made it off a ship or two. I suspect in a couple weeks we will be receiving last years Christmas decorations. Usually those don't arrive until sometime in July but last years stuff is still "floating" around somewhere.

friend went to day to pick u0p my monthly grocery order, had interesting conversation with the guy bringing stuff out to put in the truck. i try to get a 20lb bag of rice from walmart when i can, its still been pretty cheap, under $9. my friend who is a sweet guy makes a joke about that bag of rice . 'gee, she really must like rice'---the walmart guy looked at him and said it tis smart. you should get all the food you can afford right now.

kinda opened my friends eyes, especailly when he went inside. for a thursw, it was packed and everyone was filling their carts to the top. peoples heads down, no browsing or lollygagging--just goi9ng up and down the isles and filling the cart. my friend said it looked like just aobut everyone wanted to get their list and get out. friend said prices were at least 50% higher if mnot 100%

then he went to a different groc store, one he prefers over walmart and he was shocked. same situation, the store was packed and hes never seen that before. same thing, people with heads down focusing on lists and wanting to get their stuff and get out.

prices much higher there also--50-100%, many shortages of basics

its gonna get ugly this fall-winter i think.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. 4-5 weeks is a long time with pancreatic cancer, which typically Is fatal and has a short lifespan of 3-6 months once you find out (usually). Hopefully they are treating him anyway, without the scan.
They are! But added stress and worry don't help the situation!

have a good stash of the basics so I’ve been working on the convenience foods this week. I noticed Walmart has limits set for Jiffy cornbread mix (limit 12) and some other items. 1/2 gallon Mason jars are in & out of stock frequently at Walmart online and they are marked way up on Amazon. We don’t need that many of them, just enough to store milk in when we start milking the cow. Eggs were $4 for an 18 count but you can still buy he brown eggs for$2 a dozen?
Daughter and SIL have been dumpster diving pretty regularly and have come back with tons of stuff for the chickens. They’re eating like kings. 🤣. It’s a shame how much perfectly good food is still thrown away.

You tell them Tank Girl! those quacks said I'd be in a wheelchair by the millennium, 22 odd years ago. When its time, you'll know. and you don't know and may it be a long damn time until you do!

Screenshot_20220520-200735.png
Screenshot_20220520-200844.png

Latest posts

Back