What was you most memorable music concert

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenv1950

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Where I live the nearest concerts are a couple hours away . Went to a ski resort , they have small concerts in the summertime . We got there and it was in a large tent with folding chairs , stage was 2x4s and plywood . Billing was Charlie Daniels $6. a ticket . We sat about 6ft. from the stage . You could see the crew fussing around behind the equipment , we're wondering where Charlie was . We could see someone from behind with a guitar , Then I got a surprise. The man in black(Johnny Cash walked on stage and played for an hour before Charlie came out .,

@kenv1950 all of the concerts I went to were memorable to me because I didn’t go to many, just didn’t. Loved seeing Stevie Ray Vaughan as the lead-in for Stephen Stills at DAR Constitution Hall, DC. Rush, the loudest concert ever, Baltimore. Kansas last year in Oklahoma…since I hadn’t been to a concert in many years, the sound seemed so pure. I’m sure it had to do with advances in sound tech. Second time seeing Kansas, first time was in 1978, maybe.

So many choices. We have been fortunate. My favorite would be Tom Petty at the Forum in L.A. about 15 years ago. You could tell he was really enjoying himself. We also saw Nicolas Cage at a Metallica concert. Don Henley did a guest appearance during a Stevie Nick's concert.

Where I live the nearest concerts are a couple hours away . Went to a ski resort , they have small concerts in the summertime . We got there and it was in a large tent with folding chairs , stage was 2x4s and plywood . Billing was Charlie Daniels $6. a ticket . We sat about 6ft. from the stage . You could see the crew fussing around behind the equipment , we're wondering where Charlie was . We could see someone from behind with a guitar , Then I got a surprise. The man in black(Johnny Cash walked on stage and played for an hour before Charlie came out .,
The Princess and my buddies leatned I had never seen The Grateful Dead and insisted I had to go.

On the way there I learned what happened to all of Volkswagen micro buses.
The concert was sold and there hundreds trying to get in. They tore down the chain link fence and rushed in to the crowd and disappeared.
The air smelled as one would expect.
I wondered around people watching and learned about "twirlers" that spun around in circles.
Then the were the skippers. Adult women skipping. Who-da-thought?
I vaguely remember hearing songs that I had heard during under age keggers in my youth.
After the concert we wondered around the market that supported the followers that traveled the country following the band. I still have a tie dyed t-shirt that is very fragile at this point.

Next best were ZZ Top 8n Hampton VA and 10,000 lbs of beef that was good.

Harry Chapin in a outside concert outside Naples Italy.

Emerson Lake and Palmer Brain Salad Surgery.

Yes you asked for one. Sorry.

Ben

My musical tastes are eclectic to say the least. I enjoy just about any acoustic music (no electric instruments). I grew up playing bluegrass, most of you probably never heard of Tony Rice, Norman Blake or Doc Watson so I’ll skip those (got to pick with 2 of them). The last time I saw Bill Monroe was at a beer hall in Chicago. Of course I've seen Earl Scruggs... several times.

Lets see, I saw Eric Clapton at an outdoor/afternoon concert somewhere in Maryland. I saw Ray Charles, the Rayettes and a 10 piece horn section at a small theater in Portsmouth VA, probably the best show I’ve ever seen. I’ve seen both BB King and John Lee Hooker in the blues genre. I saw David Crosby at a tiny hotel bar in Wyoming doing a one man show.

I’ve heard the Harlem Boys Choir, those kids can sing! Ah! John Prine, life long fan, another great show.

Oh! my favorite country singer, saw Merle Haggard in upstate NY one night. I got drunk on a plane once with Tracy Byrd’s road band. Those guys could drink and sing! The whole plane got a show!(acapella)

Last edited:
My musical tastes are eclectic to say the least. I enjoy just about any acoustic music (no electric instruments). I grew up playing bluegrass, most of you probably never heard of Tony Rice, Norman Blake or Doc Watson so I’ll skip those (got to pick with 2 of them). The last time I saw Bill Monroe was at a beer hall in Chicago.

Lets see, I saw Eric Clapton at an outdoor/afternoon concert somewhere in Maryland. I saw Ray Charles, the Rayettes and a 10 piece horn section at a small theater in Portsmouth VA, probably the best show I’ve ever seen. I’ve seen both BB King and John Lee Hooker in the blues genre. I saw David Crosby at a tiny hotel bar in Wyoming doing a one man show.

I’ve heard the Harlem Boys Choir, those kids can sing! Ah! John Prine, life long fan, another great show.

Oh! my favorite country singer, saw Merle Haggard in upstate NY one night. I got drunk on a plane once with Tracy Byrd’s road band. Those guys could drink and sing! The whole plane got a show!
Where in Upstate NY ?

I was living in Tonawanda... it was a place a few miles up the road. Melody music something in north Tonawanda. It was like a big tent.

I used to eat at a steak place close by, Janniks or Jan.. something... good steaks.
Seen about 25 concerts in Binghamton ny .... you were about 3 hours away

I've had a lot of memorable ones. Based on "most often attended", that would have to be Chicago. I went to at least half a dozen of theirs. I played trumpet in a stage band in high school so I liked the rock/brass mix. Another memorable one was ZZ Top / Bad Company / Joe Cocker - that was an outdoor concert. ZZ Top does not sound as good live (there's only three of them) as they do on a multi-track recorded album. Lynyrd Skynyrd rocked. Several Rush concerts, Rusty Weir, and Willie Nelson (those were mostly in smaller local venues in Austin - Texas' music capitol). The Yes concert was memorable only because it was the loudest place I've ever been. I thought I was going to go deaf. My ears were buzzing for days. Not an enjoyable experience, but memorable. And another one that I would never have guessed ... they did a free concert at my college once: The Hughes Corporation. They were quite entertaining. I was definitely pleasantly surprised.

Soft rock, hard rock, country and Motown. I guess I wasn't very picky or focused. These days I only go to the symphony - classical music.

Oh yeah, I was at the one below too ... The Rolling Stones in Boulder back in the early 80's. However, I remember none of it. I was on the ambulance/medical crew and treating drugged out drunk idiots trying to OD. Imagine trying to fight your way through this crowd to locate and drag the half-dead ones out for treatment (there were a ton of them). VERY memorable for sure, except for the music - I don't remember any of that.
Stones.jpg

Oh yeah, I was at the one below too ... The Rolling Stones in Boulder back in the early 80's. However, I remember none of it. I was on the ambulance/medical crew and treating drugged out drunk idiots trying to OD. Imagine trying to fight your way through this crowd to locate and drag the half-dead ones out for treatment (there were a ton of them). VERY memorable for sure, except for the music - I don't remember any of that.
Even if you were sober, that had to be a dangerous concert to attend with a crowd like that.

'85 (?), Aerosmith, Skid Row opening! I actually don't remember much, except we were SO FIRST ROW, we sat on folding chairs right below the stage!!😉😁😀 My dear friend Kellie stood on the folding chair only to fall with the chair as it folded! We got to meet Sebastian Bach, he helped her out of the chair😀! I grew up near Seaside Heights NJ, LOTS of cool concerts and hanging out with a lot of BIG names! TOO much fun!! That country song, "I Ain't Ever Had Too Much Fun", I DID!!

I wanted to see the Dead so damn bad. but the stars neverr lined up for me

I tended bar in Yazoo Ms. Mr B B king played Friday and Saturday night. During one of his breaks It was just me and Mr King sitting on top of a rickety old Picnic table behind the bar, We smoked a joint and talked about Woman, Music for 1/2 an hour. He was a super nice guy

Memorable? That would be the KISS concert we attended when I was an older teen.
I was prepared for some loud music, we loved our music loud. :thumbs:
Evidently, I didn't even know what loud music was.
The chairs were even vibrating around!:oops:
What I was not expecting was all the powerful lights that they had aimed straight at the audience's faces. It was like looking at the sun directly behind them, all you saw was shadows moving across the sun.
When it was over, we could neither hear or see.o_O
There's a really good reason this picture is taken far from the side:
n_mj_gene_201231_1920x1080.jpg

Memorable? That would be the KISS concert we attended when I was an older teen.
I was prepared for some loud music, we loved our music loud. :thumbs:
Evidently, I didn't even know what loud music was.
The chairs were even vibrating around!:oops:
What I was not expecting was all the powerful lights that they had aimed straight at the audience's faces. It was like looking at the sun directly behind them, all you saw was shadows moving across the sun.
When it was over, we could neither hear or see.o_O
There's a really good reason this picture is taken far from the side:
n_mj_gene_201231_1920x1080.jpg
I got to see Kiss, AWESOME!

I saw Billie Joe - the lead singer for Green day once at a small party I went to in San Francisco in the mid 1990s.
He was drunk but got up and sang, there were probably only 20 or so people there. Definitely the most memorable, impromptu!
Otherwise, local bands in Sacramento - probably the most fun. Only went to one large concert my whole life - went and saw the Cure in the early 90s when they came to Sacramento.

My musical tastes are eclectic to say the least. I enjoy just about any acoustic music (no electric instruments). I grew up playing bluegrass, most of you probably never heard of Tony Rice, Norman Blake or Doc Watson so I’ll skip those (got to pick with 2 of them). The last time I saw Bill Monroe was at a beer hall in Chicago. Of course I've seen Earl Scruggs... several times.

On the night we went to Grand Ole Opry, on the bill, among others was the one and only Max Wiesman. Along with Marty Stewart and his bride Connie Smith.

But the best show I ever saw was Louis Armstrong with a small combo at a supper club in Fort Lauderdale.

Other than that, I quit going to concerts in the early 1970's when the ticket price went up from $5 to $6. That last concert was the Steve Miller Band.

I saw Billie Joe - the lead singer for Green day once at a small party I went to in San Francisco in the mid 1990s.
He was drunk but got up and sang, there were probably only 20 or so people there. Definitely the most memorable, impromptu!
Otherwise, local bands in Sacramento - probably the most fun. Only went to one large concert my whole life - went and saw the Cure in the early 90s when they came to Sacramento.
Love The Cure! And your cute puppies!

Evidently I'm deprived. Most memorable Mark O'Conner - was awesome, small and right before the Rona interrupted our lives. Oh yea, Martina McBride is phenomenal also.
Another memorable but not so good was Jason Michael Carrol - he sounded like he sucked helium, couldn't understand a thing he said so we just drank.
@Haertig I don't like people, especially large crowds - not sure you could get me within 10 miles of that mob.

Evidently I'm deprived. Most memorable Mark O'Conner - was awesome, small

You're not deprived if you've heard Mark O'Connor! Incredible musician!!! I always lump him with Bela Fleck. Both transcend the instrument they play or the genre they are playing at the time.

Latest posts

Back