What was you most memorable music concert

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was not the concert that was Memorable, I met girl and asked her to go to a frank Zappa concert in '77
She agreed and i went the day of the concert to her house to pick her up. I was sitting at the kitchen table rolling up joints when the front door opens an a California highway patrolman walks in. LOL I am busted, The girl walks in the kitchen and says Hi DADDY, I am busy putting pot back in the baggie trying to look normal. He is staring at me with a WTH? look on his face. ACKWARD
I stand up and say it is time to go. walked out the door with out a word said between us.
Frank Zappa - 1977 11 18 - Sacramento CA - YouTube

Ozzy and Metallica ( was an opening band then) in Daytona Beach in the mid 80s. I was right up front in between mosh pits and James Hatfield handed me a guitar pick. I play guitar and was in a band then so it was a huge deal. I still have it
I have been to so many concerts that were awesome but this one was really good, Ozzy actually wasn't completely wasted and put on a great show also

Others: Dio, Megadeath, Slayer, Whitesnake
During my Christian years we went to Rock the Universe once and saw Third Day which was great
Last concert we went to with the kids in Orlando right before we moved here was awesome but small Nightwish at the House of Blues

Like many others, I saw a lot of bands back in the day. I attended a concert nearly every weekend and they were all the the major bands of their day.

The "best" concert for me was Pink Floyd, Delicate Sound of Thunder tour, 1988, Toronto Canada

Ton's of runner-ups but 2 that were very memorable were:
Genesis, 1983
Rolling Stones, circa 1992

When I was 9 years old (in 1964), my folks took us to a dinner show in Las Vegas where Bobbie Darin was singing. Our table was against the stage and Bobbie Darin carried my sister on stage and sang "Mack the Knife" with her in his arms. Ironically, Elvis Presley and Priscilla sat right behind us, in a private booth. The next might, we got tickets to watch the Beatles in one of their first American concerts. At that age, I just couldn't understand why people were so poor, they had to share their hand rolled cigarettes and laughed uncontrollably afterwards. :rolleyes:

I have never been to a huge venue but long ago was front row at a Ray Charles concert and was mezmerised by the man, his music, and how he handled the crowd.
Best small venue group was late 80's Too slim and the Taildraggers ( a pacific northwest band out of Spokane wa.) they had the place so hot it could have self combusted.
Then there was a concert at Sturgis motorcycle rally where i wandered in and was standing by these immense speakers and when the band exploded they were so loud my clothes were moving from the sound energy.

I wanted to see the Dead so damn bad. but the stars neverr lined up for me

I tended bar in Yazoo Ms. Mr B B king played Friday and Saturday night. During one of his breaks It was just me and Mr King sitting on top of a rickety old Picnic table behind the bar, We smoked a joint and talked about Woman, Music for 1/2 an hour. He was a super nice guy
BB and Lucille, being chauffeured by Eric Clapton.
Eric Clapton and BB King.jpg

You've got Sacramento connections, and you're a Gen Xer...did you ever see Tesla? I did, in 1989, when hair metal was the in thing. It was a double bill with Great White. Tesla was, and still is, a terrific live show.
Sorry for the late response.
I never did but my friends did; they were big into those bands! My parents didn’t let me do much when I was younger - I had to sneak out a lot haha

This is a great thread, and yes, it does bring back a lot of great memories. This is a tough question. Like asking which child you love the most. I have been to a bunch at both ends of the spectrum; as a youngster enjoying rock and roll, and as an oldster enjoying people in smaller venues who could still perform.

My first would have to be memorable. It was Three Dog Night back in the very early 70's. I have seen Lynard Skynard several times. Chicago, Grand Funk Railroad. In much smaller venues I saw John Lee Hooker, BB King, and Buddy Guy on separate occasions. At the Buddy Guy concert I was as close to him as you are to your computer right now. He was fantastic.

Another of my favorites was Kenny Wayne Sheppard, who was playing with Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton. For full disclosure they were AKA Double Trouble, Stevie Ray Vaughn's cohorts. KWS opened. Next was Ted Nugent, and ZZ Top closed the show. Great concert.

We don't go much anymore. We really don't like the crowds. I will also take it that this thread was mainly directed at Rock or Country music concerts. I have seen many other performers in concert including two of the Rat Pack.

BBS is a great band. I've saw then around a half dozen times. Always a good show.
Skynard is probly my favorite band.

Skynard is one of my favorites also. It has to be the height of irony that Ronnie Van Zant wrote the song That Smell about Gary Rossington hoping he would change his ways, and now Gary Rossington is the only living member from the original group.

Skynard is one of my favorites also. It has to be the height of irony that Ronnie Van Zant wrote the song That Smell about Gary Rossington hoping he would change his ways, and now Gary Rossington is the only living member from the original group.
Has Artimus Pyle passed away too? I know they kicked him out after his legal problems, but I haven't heard anything of him since that crappy Lynyrd Skynyrd movie got made a few years ago.

Has Artimus Pyle passed away too? I know they kicked him out after his legal problems, but I haven't heard anything of him since that crappy Lynyrd Skynyrd movie got made a few years ago.

Artimus Pyle wasn't the original drummer. The original drummer was Bob Burns, and I believe he got fired by RVZ for substance abuse issues. Ronnie was mercurial to say the least. Artimus Pyle joined in 1974. As far as I know Artimus Pyle is still alive.

Artimus Pyle wasn't the original drummer. The original drummer was Bob Burns, and I believe he got fired by RVZ for substance abuse issues. Ronnie was mercurial to say the least. Artimus Pyle joined in 1974. As far as I know Artimus Pyle is still alive.
Right, I knew Burns passed a few years back. He had mental issues along with substance issues. Ed King said Ronnie also bullied Burns and himself really bad, and that contributed to both of them leaving.

Right, I knew Burns passed a few years back. He had mental issues along with substance issues. Ed King said Ronnie also bullied Burns and himself really bad, and that contributed to both of them leaving.

That is what I had heard, and seen in the documentaries. If memory serves I thought Ed King said Ronnie Van Zant had even threatened to kill him. He packed up his stuff and left.

That is what I had heard, and seen in the documentaries. If memory serves I thought Ed King said Ronnie Van Zant had even threatened to kill him. He packed up his stuff and left.
Probably so. I know he cut one of the guitarists hand while on tour during a fight. I think it was Gary's hand. Ronnie was out of control when he drank.

Yup, @Morgan101 is right about Pyle being alive. @Spikedriver looks like he’s living in Asheville, NC according to Wikipedia.
I didn’t know any of that stuff. I’ve never seen Lynyrd Skynyrd.

My favorite Skynyrd song

My second favorite

AHH HELL, ALL of Skynyrd songs are my favorites

I have a hard time picking a favorite. Some of the stuff that never made the radio are very good songs. 4 walls of Raiford being one
The songs I posted have a personal attachment to my youth
I knew an old black man that was a wino and played a homemade guitar. I was young and have no idea if he was good or not. but I liked the old mans humor, I guess I ''got it''
the other song needs no explanation, it is what it is, the 70's were pretty damn wild.

Free Bird is still the one that gets me driving way too fast playing air guitar in the car, but "Trust" and "Gimme Back My Bullets" are favorites too. The new Skynyrd isn't anywhere near what the original version was, but they've had some good songs too...

Latest posts

Back