What would you do faced with 50% inflation?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 50 percent inflation is an understatement.
I'm pretty well figuring to witness the end of America period, not just the economy of it.
So unless you are planning to transition into a One World economy on a digital based currency requiring smart technology and individual, trackable ID, well I'd guess your going to be caught short.

Flapper discs - look up Empire Abraisives.
Shipping + duty + exchange rate + no idea if or when it would arrive makes it a non starter for us. Thanks for the tip though.

Your prices down south after your inflation is added, are better than the ones we started out with.

Shipping + duty + exchange rate + no idea if or when it would arrive makes it a non starter for us. Thanks for the tip though.

Your prices down south after your inflation is added, are better than the ones we started out with.
I forgot about that :confused:

I had a recent trip to Aldi. I haven't been there in about 3 weeks. Again, prices on the rise. Those chicken wings that were $7.99, then $8.99, are now $9.49. :mad: I left them in the freezer. Their canned green beans, corn, and some other veges were .58 which is the same price as WM. I bought a lawn chair $24.99. I bought a similar one last year for $16.99. The club TP I stocked up on at $16.99 is now $22.99. I'm glad I don't need any. Raisin boxes were .99, now $1.19. Eggs were $2.09/dozen, but I get them from a family member. I just can't believe the prices.

Aldi used to be a great alternative to the high prices of WM or local grocery stores, but their prices now are almost in line with other stores. I went to 4 different stores to get the flyer prices and deals at each one. I usually stock up at Aldi, but at this point, I might as well go elsewhere b/c they really aren't competitve on most things anymore.:(
We have one opening soon. It's very close to the walmart. I was hoping for some competition.

Not sure where to put this. OH just popped home for lunch. A fellow carpenter told him a company in Dublin told him next week building materials prices, particularly wood, will double. :( Anything that needs getting buy this week.

A lot of stuff around here is 2 and 1/2 times what it used to be. Milk, eggs, coffee etc..

I think 50 percent inflation is an understatement.
I'm pretty well figuring to witness the end of America period, not just the economy of it.
So unless you are planning to transition into a One World economy on a digital based currency requiring smart technology and individual, trackable ID, well I'd guess your going to be caught short.
A guy my OH works for has been saying for months that all monies will be digitalised by next March; and if you have lots of cash get rid of it. Your money will be there, but trackable. If you are someone who organises protests, into crime etc, 'they' will stop your access to your own money.

Went to the big city today in search of oil based polyurethane. Two months ago varathane was $80.00 /gal. Today it was $108.00- $134.00 and we could only find one can.

We got lucky at a small paint store that had a marine oil based polyurethane for $70.00/ gal. We ought the last five buckets. Even regular paint is getting close to $100.00 /gal. before tax.

Home maintenance is getting excessively costly for just the basics.

Today at farmers market tomatoes were 6 med. for $5. I did not pay that. They weren't very big and they looked to have been picked greenish. I went to a local little spot close to my house. They were still $2.50/lb but I could hand pick ripe ones and pay by the pound. The perk was they just got their honey in and it was $12.50/ qt. The cheapest I've found it elsewhere is $18/qt so I got 3 qts. It doesn't go bad.
A huge bag of chips (like a pillow case) was $12 2 years ago, now $25. Tons more crazy examples.

ok went to my bulks store thursday. rolled oats last fall was $26/50#. i called 2 or 3 weeks ago and was quoted $42/50#.well it was $43.50/50#. so i was standing and a woman order deli meat and it rang up a different price than on ticket.she told the woman i am sorry but because the way things are the prices are changing every few days as orders come in and they just cant keep up with getting prices posted and they missed changing it. the prices are put into computer system as items are delivered.

the slight good news is they were for awhile not getting 50# of beans only 25#. but thankfully they had gotten in 50# recently from 2 different sources.milled flour products were outrageous.dont recall prices..i think one was $86/50#

real sea salt was $81/50#

Just for planning. Governments/Central Banks are 100% trapped. Only two moves now exist. Both moves will be catastrophic. One way will be instant, the other way they can milk a terrible situation a few more years, but only a few. I expect they will have zero realistic options but high inflation, then hyperinflation. Then shift to a digital currency.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/f...lit-rate-hikes-chaotic-market-breakdown-looms

Last edited:
I have a friend who gets DEF in bulk (330 gal. tote) and he bought a tote in January and just got another tote last week at a 60% increase. He didn't really need it, but thought it prudent to have one on reserve.

I don't know the specific definitions of hyperinflation (although I suppose I could easily look it up), but a 60% increase in 9 months, seems scary to me. If it was just one item, I wouldn't mind so much....but it's a lot more than that, and everyone is feeling it!

People asked several times about me posting deals on a website, since so many don't use Facebook. Well, I have one:
https://dealbustersblog.wordpress.com
A few important notes:

• The format on the deals posts will keep changing. Sometimes they will look weird. Be patient. I'm experimenting

• There will not be very many deals for a few days. It's NOT like posting on Facebook. It's taking longer, but I'm refining my routine, and it will take time before I get it down to a science so I can quickly and easily post the deals.

• I hate that there's no preview pictures on the individual deals. Amazon has an option that lets me post a small pic that also shows the price. I tried doing that, but it didn't work.

• People who subscribe to the blog are supposed to get an email when I publish a new post (which I will do once daily when I start doing the deals for that day). However, I don't know if you get another email every time I update the post, which might be a dozen or 20 times a day. I hope you don't get multiple emails a day. That could be a problem.

• Right now it's a bit of a mess. There are default psuedo-posts that came with the template that I need to get out of there. And today's deals posts don't look all neat and pretty. They'll get better as I figure things out.

but a 60% increase in 9 months, seems scary to me.

Some things have been 100%, gas, eggs, milk, coffee running about 90%. It definitely stinks.

Saudi Arabia is going to "phaseout" accepting U.S. Dollars for their oil. This will result in massively reduced demand for U.S. Dollars worldwide. What will effect you is the U.S. Dolar with massively reduced demand will rapidly drop in value and purchasing power. This is just a wild guess, but we could see 50% or 100% inflation on cost of everything. Quite possible much higher.

Another accurate video. I am anxiously waiting for when people finally realize there is no good way out of this mess. Seems clear to me that the road the government will take eventually is digital currency.

Saudi Arabia is going to "phaseout" accepting U.S. Dollars for their oil. This will result in massively reduced demand for U.S. Dollars worldwide. What will effect you is the U.S. Dolar with massively reduced demand will rapidly drop in value and purchasing power. This is just a wild guess, but we could see 50% or 100% inflation on cost of everything. Quite possible much higher.

dont forget they are setting up a certified place to do precious metals.

The three major currencies during the collapse will be:
Ammo
Antibiotics and
@$$ wipe.

Look at the scamdemic and tell me I'm wrong! your horde of walking liberty coins will only have worth AFTER reconstruction begins, but unless you stored food and ammo as well you're not going to be around to spend it! the ones sitting on tons of food, ammo and medical supplies will be the new rich, but they're likely the old rich as well.

Almost 75 bucks to fill my wheels today, used to be around 38 bucks. Went shopping, got 10 of those little plastic bags of groceries, 150 bucks. 3.94 pounds of burger, 27.54, two years ago I could get the same exact package for between 7 and 8 bucks. The cheapest eggs in the store, Grade A large, 3.49 a dozen (.99 cents 2 years ago), Grade A jumbo, 3.89 a dozen (1.19 2 years ago). The fancy packaged eggs were anywhere from 5 to 8 bucks a dozen.

There has to be a LOT of hurting families out there.

1665951173556.png

Like a crisco shortening? I'm not sure, either. Oils went up like corn oil and soy bean oil, and farmers did not grow as much. Butter and all dairy went up, and I don't know why, except maybe less cows because of feed prices. I wonder why olive oil went up so much. I heard Europe uses alot of sunflower oil and that was not happening because of Ukraine not producing it.

After attending culinary school for Pastry Arts, seeing that price list is heartbreaking. In the food services, your profits are literally pennies. You need fast hands to make money in a bakery.

@Magpie that shortening is hydrogenated vegetable oil. All fats are getting dear in price. My best guess is low crop yield.

Why did shortening rise so much? I understand the flour and sugar

Like a crisco shortening? I'm not sure, either. Oils went up like corn oil and soy bean oil, and farmers did not grow as much. Butter and all dairy went up, and I don't know why, except maybe less cows because of feed prices. I wonder why olive oil went up so much. I heard Europe uses alot of sunflower oil and that was not happening because of Ukraine not producing it.

After attending culinary school for Pastry Arts, seeing that price list is heartbreaking. In the food services, your profits are literally pennies. You need fast hands to make money in a bakery.

@Magpie that shortening is hydrogenated vegetable oil. All fats are getting dear in price. My best guess is low crop yield.
its because palm oil was banned for awhile from countries that export it. i forget name of main one but they wanted to be sure domestic markets were served first. ukraine was #1 place for sunflower oil and lots of places use SO especially the middle east,africa and some of europe. russia is now #1 exporter of SO.

all oils and fats are through the roof !!

zach mentions in vid that he heard opec official said in 2 weeks no more u.s.dollar dealing. i gotta see if i can dig up an official statement. if so...hold ya hat and bloomers !

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised one bit. Biden is kicking the Saudi hornets nest b/c he thinks it's fun. He's basically daring them to do it.....as if they're scared of a senile old pedophile. This might be a really interesting winter........and beyond.

The heading on this thread is almost laughable anymore. Most things I buy are well beyond that, and things are still getting worse by the day.

Latest posts

Back