What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did 21 pints of Zucchini and 6 pints Zucchini chow chow relish last night. Still have yellow squash and more zucchini in the fridge to do pickles tomorrow or monday. Should have more of both by the end of the week to can as well. Last night was the first time that I canned without my friend to guide me so it was interesting.

98B62638-E66F-40BE-9B17-A49D3C41D027.jpeg
Waiting on beef stew to come out of the canner. Trying to get some things out of the freezer and onto the shelf.

ETA: 7 wide mouth pints out of the canner. All sealed.

I have a 23 quart presto and a presto digital pressure canner. I use the 23 quart in my dad’s house on the gas stove. My apartment is electric so I use the digital one upstairs. I can only do 8 pints regular mouth or 7 pints widemouth. But it’s nice for small batch canning to try things out. I used the recipe out of The New Ball Book of Canning. It was a raw pack method. This is using the beef I got from my brother.

Last edited:
Yesterday, about a dozen half pints of Light my fire habanero hot sauce.
Today 19 half pints of Habanero pineapple jam and 2 pints and one half pint of candied jalapenos and 4 pints of syrup for marinade or to make Cowboy candy BBQ sauce out of.
I'm done until tomorrow!

Did this over this past weekend
View attachment 91494
We are so low on greeny beanies and mine are barely growing! I'm planting more Friday to see if I can get some by fall. I might also buy some at farmers market.
Yesterday, about a dozen half pints of Light my fire habanero hot sauce.
Today 19 half pints of Habanero pineapple jam and 2 pints and one half pint of candied jalapenos and 4 pints of syrup for marinade or to make Cowboy candy BBQ sauce out of.
I'm done until tomorrow!
Sorry Snap, but I don't think I could eat at your house unless a firetruck was on hand 😂

We are so low on greeny beanies and mine are barely growing! I'm planting more Friday to see if I can get some by fall. I might also buy some at farmers market.

Sorry Snap, but I don't think I could eat at your house unless a firetruck was on hand 😂
Mine are only producing enough to eat fresh. No leftovers. When I was up at the cabin, we went to a local Amish farm. Got 9 pounds of beans to can. His produce shed is usually overflowing this time of year. He had no tomatoes, no corn, few peppers. It was so stark that my dad even noticed.

So we didn't can today. But we did decide to take an inventory of what we have left and to plan a canning session like last year. Last year we did a 6 week canning marathon making "quick meals" that we can use if we don't feel up to cooking. We do this because the wife is on a NO SALT diet and we just can't use the convenience foods that everyone else can.

Last year we canned:
Vegetable Beef Soup
Chicken Vegetable Soup
Beef Barley Soup
Minestrone Soup
Split Pea Soup
Lentil Soup
Venison Stew
Potato Leek Soup
Turkey Chili
Meat Loaf
Venison Sloppy Joe Meat Mix

It really worked out well last year and we have eaten almost everything we canned, so we a planning to do it again this year.
If this were your list, would you suggest adding something?

The recipes were a bit of a PIA because the wife wanted to use her "everyday" recipes, I had to take her recipe and convert the volumes for canning, first it was for Quarts, then she add a couple of things that I didn't like and what had to be in pints to cover 1 person meals.

Okay @Bacpacker here goes:
We use 3 sub assemblies:
1) the meat: we use
2 lbs of ground pork, ground beef, and ground veal (it is sold here as meatloaf mix)
1 lbs of Bob Evans original sausage
2 small hand fulls of oat meal
2 small hand fulls of bread crumbs
Mix lightly

2) the liquid, keep separate from meat;
2 eggs
8 oz of home made ketchup
1 fork of strained horse radish
3 table spoons of worcestershire sauce
1 table spoon beef base
1 table spoon chicken base
1 table spoon ground ginger
Mix well

3) Veggies (we process in a food processor)
1 large Onion
5 garlic cloves
2 medium carrots
2 ribs of celery
1 hand full of fresh parsley

Blend the stuff from the food processor to the meat, then add the liquid and mix well. Don't over mix as wife says it makes it tough...

We fill WIDE MOUTH pints with 1/2-3/4" head space and pressure can at 10 PSI for 90 minutes

Or

We make small loaves and bake in a 350 oven, we used to make a glaze using a mix of brown sugar and ketchup, but too much sugar for wife... But we often take the small loaves and wrap all but 1 and put them in the freezer for later use, don't forget to label them.

Some people like to add bell pepper, but I don't like bell pepper; you can have it in yours ;)

When serving the canned meatloaf we use a butter knife to free the loaf from the sides of the jar and then cut hockey pucks and heat them in a skillet, you can add a glaze after you flip the the first time.

For full disclosure, the wife just rattled this off the top of her head and I wrote it down to share. I don't think she knew I was giving it away, so don't tell Monkey!( Kung Fu Panda)

Gifted with 5 Walmart bags of tomatoes. Froze 4. Husband wanted diced tomatoes so I tried canning them and got 10 pints from unfrozen. Thawed 2 bags to make picante sauce. Proportion must be off. Skinned and core tomatoes, 2 cups each chopped onions, carrots and jalapeños plus salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cooked for 30 minutes and pressure canned for 35 minutes. He said good but needs more heat. 10 pints mild. Tomorrow will double veggies except tomatoes. He never is satisfied with it

I got a monster deal on beef log butts and pieces. straight white vinegar and red pepper seeds.
I just tested some. Gimmie some crackers, they are a GO!

11 quarts and 2 pints of Pear preserves.
To the rock pears, I added apple juice, sugar, molasses, vanilla, cinnamon and cloves. Turned out great! If I want pie filling, I will thicken when I open jar. Pretty easy except prepping the rock pears. They weren't too bad as I froze and then thawed them. And they were free!

Just pulled 8 pints of corn out of the canner. Dad was really bummed by not getting his sweet corn this because of his lack of upper teeth. Asked if I could can some up for him. First time doing corn and really enjoyed opening the lid and smelling popcorn LOL

Tomorrow we’re doing Chili con Carne

My friend talked me into making zucchini relish since he has an abundance of zucchini n my garden was consumed by grasshoppers.
I've never liked zucchini..but I was very surprised..the relish is awesome.
So..I'm on my second batch..many more to go the next few days..or weeks..lol..

Attachments

• 20220806_194216.jpg
    20220806_194216.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 0
My friend talked me into making zucchini relish since he has an abundance of zucchini n my garden was consumed by grasshoppers.
I've never liked zucchini..but I was very surprised..the relish is awesome.
So..I'm on my second batch..many more to go the next few days..or weeks..lol..
Is that the one from the Complete Book of Home Preserving? It is fantastic. I make that every year and my family loves it.

This is a bit of a fun experimental project — sweet, sour, and spicy melon pickles from Preserving Italy. We had a few left over and sampled them — very tasty! Would go great on a charcuterie plate or with some vanilla ice cream. Not sure I’d want to put up a ton unless I had a ton of melon, but definitely will be nice variety when the weather cools off.

Attachments

• 930B7894-37FA-4356-83DE-E2BFCF8C1019.jpeg
    930B7894-37FA-4356-83DE-E2BFCF8C1019.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back