What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a canning rant.

The old canning jars are are taller and a bit slimmer with a tapered neck. They fit the proper amount of jars per load in both the water bath and pressure canner.

New jars are shorter and fatter with shoulders.
They do not fit in the water bath rack spaces.
Instead of seven jars fitting the bottom layer of the pressure canner (brand doesn't matter) only six will.

:mad:

I have a canning rant.

The old canning jars are are taller and a bit slimmer with a tapered neck. They fit the proper amount of jars per load in both the water bath and pressure canner.

Instead of seven jars fitting the bottom layer of the pressure canner (brand doesn't matter) only six will.

Regular shoulder vs. Strong shoulder jars. I've learned the difference too :confused:

I have a canning rant.

I'm glad you noticed this too. I thought I was doing something amiss--never got the amount in the canner that the manual says is possible. My canning jars are mostly new but I do have some that have survived since my mom did canning.

I'm sorry to say I have not noticed as it has been a few years of me buying any new jars. I did organize my stockroom some where I store my jars, finally. I did notice that I need to get some more wide mouth quart size jars soon since I only have a few dozen left.

After feeding this morning went to the store since it was my last day of the additional 25% and stocked up on a couple more cases of veggies, tomatoes and chicken condensed soup along with some celery and tomato condensed soup. Came home to start boiling 1 25 lb turkey and baking another 25 lb turkey. I have the "broth" for the boiled in a big roasting pan with both turkeys cracked bones, onions, celery and carrots to cook down until I get off work tomorrow. I will be straining, let cool down and then into the fridge so I can skim off the fat easier on Sunday morning. I will can up the broth before I go into work that afternoon for inventory. The baked turkey meat has been vacuum sealed in four different bags and added into the freezer. Since I do inventory, that means I am scheduled until midnight (as in Monday), then I am scheduled back in at 4 AM Monday. I will be tired so my plan is a crockpot meal of bean soup with the leftover ham bone from Thanksgiving. Have it ready to go and just start before I go so probably not much will happen after I get off except normal chores. After I get off work Tuesday is when I will probably can up my turkey meat. Dinner tonight will be Turkey, Rice Dressing, Candied Yams and Roasted Brussel Sprouts leftover from Thanksgiving or Chicken Sausage Gumbo. Either one Hunny wants. At this point I am just whatever you want. . .

6 quarts of cranberry juice from 3 packages of cranberries.
20221201_190104.jpg

How did you can up whipping cream? Is it like canning milk?
Yes, it's the same. I vent the pressure canner the usual 10 minutes, place the wt. and when it starts to jiggle, turn off the gas or remove from burner if electric is used.

Last edited:
Yes, it's the same. I vent the pressure canner the usual 10 minutes, place the wt. and when it starts to jiggle, turn off the gas or remove from burner if electric is used.
Thank you for sharing! I know that milk items don't sit on my shelves for very long during our off season. So just wondering if you have an idea on how long whipping cream would be good for? I am assuming it is the store bought kind?

I am not sure what you mean about milk items not sitting on the shelf during the off season.

Yes, I am currently using store milk and cream as I sold my Jerseys when I moved. I never tried canning raw milk as I always had so much of it year round. It shouldn't be an issue though.

I have canned cream and milk that is now six months to a year old. I just opened a one year old cream and it is just fine.

Whipping cream can be frozen but it gets like soft butter at the one year stage. If mashed through a very fine sieve it reliquifies and whips up smoothly like fresh cream. The problem is that before it reaches the solid stage, it gets tiny lumps and when you whip it, the grainy texture is bothersome. 18% coffee cream separates when frozen and is just nasty and unusable. It cans very well.

Last edited:
Dani,

If you have the jars, canning milk is the way to go. Canned milk will definitely keep long enough for the next lactation.

On average, how many months is your cow dry? When she is producing, how much extra milk do you average per day? I know it varies through the lactation cycle.

11 quarts of free red potatoes with water, chicken broth granules and garlic salt. 9 sliced and 2 whole little potatoes.
Snap, I have a question. When canning the reds, do you add anything to them so they don't turn to mush? They are already a softer spud. I saw a "rebel canning" video where the gal water bathed them (2 hr. for pints & 3 for quarts!) and added a Tbl (I think 🤔 don't quote me) of white vinegar to each pint to keep them crispy. I've not tried water bathing such foods, but like to know just in case. What I'm wondering is if it's added to pressure canned, if it would help keep them crispy. I know you do a ton of canning so would be curious as to your thoughts - or anyone's really :)

Snap, I have a question. When canning the reds, do you add anything to them so they don't turn to mush? They are already a softer spud. I saw a "rebel canning" video where the gal water bathed them (2 hr. for pints & 3 for quarts!) and added a Tbl (I think 🤔 don't quote me) of white vinegar to each pint to keep them crispy. I've not tried water bathing such foods, but like to know just in case. What I'm wondering is if it's added to pressure canned, if it would help keep them crispy. I know you do a ton of canning so would be curious as to your thoughts - or anyone's really :)
I don't add anything. Never had a problem with texture. I PC them for 40 minutes for quarts.

Dani,

If you have the jars, canning milk is the way to go. Canned milk will definitely keep long enough for the next lactation.

On average, how many months is your cow dry? When she is producing, how much extra milk do you average per day? I know it varies through the lactation cycle.
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I have canned milk in my storage right now. Just a note there, it does seperate and need to get shaken up before using. When Claire, my Jersey is in milk, I get around 5 gallons of milk per day. Since I am working full time, I am not making cheese often right now. My Claire is getting close to calfing so not milking right now.

12 pints of sweet corn out of my freezer today.
5 pints of corn relish.
Picked up large box of number #2 tomatoes from the local farm store.
I see homemade spaghetti sauce in my future tomorrow.
I also see Salsa in my future tomorrow.
Monday I hope to do up pickled sliced jalenpino.
I'm tired so not spelling very well.

Latest posts

Back