What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9 pints chow chow and 3 more batches salted and prepped to do tomorrow
Is chow chow like a salsa?
To me this is a chow chow~
1690832544600.png

I know Asians eat dogs but don't think that's what you're up to o_O

To me this is a chow chow~
View attachment 113060
I know Asians eat dogs but don't think that's what you're up to o_O
It's a type of relish. Texture is similar to sauerkraut the way I make it. Typically made with cabbage and other odds and ends from the garden. I have a specific mix of veggies that I use. Yellow squash and zucchini instead of cabbage as the base

It's a type of relish. Texture is similar to sauerkraut the way I make it. Typically made with cabbage and other odds and ends from the garden. I have a specific mix of veggies that I use. Yellow squash and zucchini instead of cabbage as the base
Ah-ha! A relish - I didn't know what it was closest to. I knew it was chopped up something. Thank you :)

I have a marrow chutney on the go at the minute. Never made it before, and had to adjust a few things as I hadn't enough, but I'm hoping if I cook it long enough it will come good. I used an overgrown courgette, onions, apples, spices, dates and sugar with a mix of cider and white vinegar because I hadn't enough cider.

= = =
To me ...chow chow... is more a relish..

We used to make chow chow for the whole family from great grandma recipe brought over from Scotland to Nova Scotia... This a green tomato, green apple version.. As I recall...

equal amounts green tomato
green apple
onion
a couple carrots, just for color
red, orange, yellow sweet pepper optional
sweet vinegar brine
My contribution to the recipe was to grind the mix in the Kitchen Aid mixer grinder rather than spend time hand chopping. Pressure or water bath can for shelf storage.. It has been long enough ago now I forgot which method.. We stored the sealed jars without rings, but put rings on for the jars to travel with..

Family could have all they wanted, but the hard and fast rule was they MUST return the canning jars, lids and rings...

= = =
To me ...chow chow... is more a relish..

We used to make chow chow for the whole family from great grandma recipe brought over from Scotland to Nova Scotia... This a green tomato, green apple version.. As I recall...

equal amounts green tomato
green apple
onion
a couple carrots, just for color
red, orange, yellow sweet pepper optional
sweet vinegar brine
My contribution to the recipe was to grind the mix in the Kitchen Aid mixer grinder rather than spend time hand chopping. Pressure or water bath can for shelf storage.. It has been long enough ago now I forgot which method.. We stored the sealed jars without rings, but put rings on for the jars to travel with..

Family could have all they wanted, but the hard and fast rule was they MUST return the canning jars, lids and rings...
More of a relish for me. You may offend some saying it is a salsa. . . No where near!

Anybody like green tomato salsa?
4 large green tomatoes.
1/2 cup of onion.
4 reasonably large jalapenos.
a tablespoon of pickling salt
1 avocado.
the juice of 1 lemon.
4 average-sized tomatillos.
Puree it to death and garnish with bacon bits.

Oh boy.... Magpie.. One time we had a jar someone gave us of a chutney much like you posted.. Sweet, cinnamon, onion and more that went with bear or moose roast and homemade mixed meat cheese and cracker type sausage... It did not last near long enough...

On Wednesday and Thursday I had off from work and did a little bit of canning. I six pints of beef chunks. Two didn't seal. One was low in content so that was beef and gravy over rice. The second I popped into a container and into the freezer for a dinner when dad returns from the cabin. While doing that I cooked up four chicken carcasses and miscellaneous chicken bits from the freezer in the electric turkey roaster. Did it up the next day in seven quart jars. Four of them didn't seal. Hmmm. Reprocessed the four jars of broth that didn't seal using ForJars lids instead of the Ball lids I had. Actually I had five jars to process (I had a quart left over that didn't fit in the first canner load). Only three sealed. The second batch I did in the Presto electric canner.

Maybe I'm destined to never use quarts--which is fine because it's just Dad and I. Only did the broth in quarts so his winter soup making would require me to wash less jars.

@Tommyice , do you wipe the rims with vinegar? That has helped my sealing ratio.
I do and constantly refold the towel used to do it. I even keep my lids in hot water until I put them on. I strained the broth through a chinois to collect that sediment but boy was that broth loaded with. I probably had some siphoning and that surely came out, but the canner water looked clear and didn’t smell of chicken. The first batch was on the gas stove in a 23 quart presto with a weighted gauge. The second batch was in my presto electric canner. I’m guessing the stars were just aligned against me yesterday.

The lids and their attendant sealing goop, are getting too thin to be of any use. Even just vacuum suctioning a jar, many won't work after a few uses. I now use an extra rubber ring to improve the odds of sealing. I never had to do that before. Tattler is fast becoming less of a hassle or expense.

Latest posts

Back