What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a good day for me and my wife.
A really good friend I go to church with , died in his sleep this morning.

Later in the day a good friend that lost his house to the tornado, was living in an RV , a propane heater caused a fire then an explosion , he made it out, his dear wife and 18 year old grandughter did not.
The girl always called me papa , she was like my own , and so beautiful and so smart.
I'm devastated.
Heart broke.

Got 3 funerals in next few days.
Please pray for the Culp family and the Mays family.

Jim

Sending lots of prayers. Very sorry for the losses.

I have the big bad cootie bug - will be back soon.
PS I'm not a chipper sick person!
Get well soon!

Good evening everyone. Ordered a trailer today. Scary and exciting all in one. May/June delivery expected. A few more steps before it’s built. Have an appointment for the 1st for the hitch to be installed along with a plug in the bed.
Frustrated after trying to work on the finance company stuff for home buying. Need to put it away for the night I guess.

Later in the day a good friend that lost his house to the tornado, was living in an RV , a propane heater caused a fire then an explosion , he made it out, his dear wife and 18 year old grandughter did not.
The girl always called me papa , she was like my own , and so beautiful and so smart.
I'm devastated.
Heart broke.

Jim

That's terrible , so sorry . Life really is not fair

Went to town today and ordered the hitches for both our towing trucks. Also got an updated price on the stock trailer we’ve been debating for quite some time on buying. As expected it’s about $9,000 more than it was not long ago. I truly believe it’s a good investment anyways and certainly don’t see it getting any cheaper anytime soon. I’ve been looking for a year or two for a used one and you just don’t see them. Especially in this state. My suspicions are true. They hold their value unbelievably.

When we first moved here we bought a used $3000 Adams livestock trailer 16ft. We haul everything with it, goats, sheep, hay, even the Ranger when it needs to get serviced. I wonder what that would cost now....
We were going to buy a tractor with loader last year really need a loader but couldn't find anything even remotely reasonably priced. So we keep doing for now what he have been doing, pay a neighbor to do it for us.

So it is still very cold, 14 degrees this morning but supposed to warm up. Daughter in Virginia Beach just sent me a photo, she got a foot of snow there, that is surprising so close to the beach.

Our chickens have stopped laying eggs :( This has never happened before. Usually ours keep laying in winter, and we have lots. But this is the longest ( been a few weeks now) we have had a foot of snow on everything without it melting

We haven't been doing much other than taking care of the animals, I cook and do dishes, and we keep the stoves going. Been running both of them this last week , wood pile is shrinking fast

Did go shopping a few days ago, lots of shortages, but I got everything we needed except a new coffee mug with lid. No good ones to be found

Sorry about your friends, @phideaux . That is so sad and a lot to happen close to you!
Hope you are well soon @LadyLocust !
Glad you had a nice date @Spikedriver !

Heading to the Church rummage sale in a few minutes.
Next will do a video.
Bake cookies for Church youth activity this afternoon..
Walk dogs if it's not too windy--still very cold for this area. 23 this morning.
Church at 3 pm to set up and serve kids.
May pull ham out to bake next week in my freezer clearing efforts. Then figure out what to can with it.

20 degrees just now when I went to start the jeep!

Just got news that another of my nieces has gotten engaged. Her fiance is British, partially of Indian descent, from when the Brits controlled India. He is apparently a decent Christian fellow and my sister approves, so I am inclined to approve as well. Niece met him during her travels growing up in a missionary family. Looks like my extended family will become even more diverse, as it will now include black, Hispanic, Asian, and Indian. I see this as a good thing, although the blonde hair and blue eyes my family is known for is going away. Oh well. Change can be good.

Here's a pic of my sweet baby girl, natural bright red hair just turned 18.
Been holding her , loving her, since she was a little girl.
She's spent lots of time with wife and I.

I can't believe she's gone.
I'm sure gonna miss her.
The sweetest smartest girl you ever met.

FB_IMG_1642874909939.jpg
FB_IMG_1642874681076.jpg
FB_IMG_1642874898799.jpg

Jim

She was sure pretty, Jim!

Bake cookies
Wow! Those cookies are good and so easy. Adding link to recipe. I added to chocolate chips and made 3 different flavors plus the choc. chips. I did not put icing on.
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/b1/cb/4f/b1cb4f85e4e90f23fa6188625956e53e.jpg
1642878574249.png

Heading to the Church rummage sale
[/QUOTE]
Good deals. Been looking for an adult potty chair for - just in case. Got a new heavy duty one for $5! And a drying rack for pasta or clothes $1, I suppose, a second large slow cooker $4 in perfect condition, a Fire King casserole dish with lid $1, pyrex casserole with lid $2 plus a bag full of small misc. items for $1.
Someone had dumped off a puppy (large type) so I got number and address for local rescue for the pastor to call.

Last edited:
You often mention making videos. Are they for YouTube? Something we might want to see?

I do videos - as in exercise videos when it is too cold and crappy out to walk. I try to only miss one day a week of about 40 minutes of exercise. It doesn't make me lose weight, but it enables me to eat enough that I don't go off my way of eating very often.
Sorry for the confusion!

I do videos - as in exercise videos when it is too cold and crappy out to walk. I try to only miss one day a week of about 40 minutes of exercise. It doesn't make me lose weight, but it enables me to eat enough that I don't go off my way of eating very often.
Sorry for the confusion!
No worries! That is a great idea, exercise videos. I know a few people who do them.

Jim, that is awful! I'm so sorry for your loss and for your friend's loss. I didn't know them and it has me tearing up.

LadyLocust, I hope you get well soon.

Inresponse, I hope you can get feeling more normal again and that you can get stuff done like you want.

DoubleR, hoping the trailer will be on time and to your specifications.

I'm still feeling very tired. Got up, fed the cats, had a cat follow me in to the bathroom and leap into my arms to be held while I was on the can. He cheered me up a little, but I can't seem to get my energy back and am feeling winded so easily. Just feeding the cats tired me out. I know one of the symptoms of my mitral valve prolapse is that I don't get enough oxygen so I'm wondering if that is why I feel like I'm not getting enough air. Got fans blowing on me even though it's cold so I don't feel like I'm suffocating.

I am so sorry to hear this Jim. My prayers are with you and your friends and their families.

I'm devastated.
Heart broke.

Jim

Well the wife did it(I helped a little).

She's been wanting this for a while , but we just been too busy. Now we are freed up some.

So after lunch today we went back to the breeder , top notch breeder.

We put a hold deposit on this one. He's about 3 weeks old. We will bring him home at 8-9 weeks.

Wife's new love....Maltipoo.
He will weigh 7-10 lbs and about 10" tall when grown....her lap dog.

No name yet.
Screenshot_20220122-165900.jpg
Screenshot_20220122-170038.jpg
IMG_20220122_143419755.jpg
Screenshot_20220122-165952.jpg
Screenshot_20220122-165806.jpg

Jim

That little bugger is cute Jim. I know she'll get a lot of enjoyment from him.

Wife got her a lapdog just weeks before we had to put down our old Golden. Made the transition much easier for her. He is a Cavapoo, just under 12 lbs about 8 months old. He's a mess

We went furniture shopping again today, been looking for months. Our old couch and wife's chair is both 12+ years old and not in good shape. Wife found what she wants today and both were on sale. Couch will deliver in a couple weeks, her chair in April.

Cute Pup :)

All of our last furniture has come from IKEA, buy it and put it in the car. If our butts fit, it's coming home.

"it's the wrong color": It's getting a sheet on it anyway , who cares.

What can I say, I'm a function over form/looks kinda guy.

Well the wife did it(I helped a little).

She's been wanting this for a while , but we just been too busy. Now we are freed up some.

So after lunch today we went back to the breeder , top notch breeder.

We put a hold deposit on this one. He's about 3 weeks old. We will bring him home at 8-9 weeks.

Wife's new love....Maltipoo.
He will weigh 7-10 lbs and about 10" tall when grown....her lap dog.

No name yet.
View attachment 78995View attachment 78996View attachment 78997View attachment 78998View attachment 78999

Jim

Jim this just made my day! I’m so happy for all 3 of you!!!

Taking the day to get outta my head. Mowing away on the little tractor. Looks like maybe the dash clean up so far has fixed the long time gauge issues. Praying it stays that way. Hubby says it was pretty gummed up in there. Glad this little kid stays covered now instead of out in the weather like it did at the folks. Good to be back at it. Not sure why tractor time is so therapeutic but for me it is.
Big tractors fixed and ready to get back to road work. May get to that tomorrow.

Taking the day to get outta my head. Mowing away on the little tractor. Looks like maybe the dash clean up so far has fixed the long time gauge issues. Praying it stays that way. Hubby says it was pretty gummed up in there. Glad this little kid stays covered now instead of out in the weather like it did at the folks. Good to be back at it. Not sure why tractor time is so therapeutic but for me it is.
Big tractors fixed and ready to get back to road work. May get to that tomorrow.

I always treasure my tractor time. I had my first seat time at 3 and was driving them on my own at 8, plowing neighbors gardens by 9. Not much better way to clear your head.

Jim, the puppy is absolutely adorable!

Backpacker, What is a Cavapoo? Something and poodle but what's the cav part? I've got a chiweenie and no idea what the other dog is. One of these days I'll have to ask on a dog forum or something for someone to identify her breed or mix of breeds.

My brother cooked dinner for Mom and I'm sitting here taking deep breaths. Hips were hurting from lying on my side and I have trouble breathing if I lie on my back so I'm sitting up.

Latest posts

Back