What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roo just turned 10 and I am tired of her being destructive. I figure is she has to pay for the things she breaks then she might stop breaking everything....

Worked for the wife. EVERY car I bought for her she damaged one way or another. Ignoring high temp gauge (warped the engine head) to hitting things. The last straw was when she didn't want to stay home during a snow storm (totaled the car). I refused to buy her another car. When she had to make car payments, pay the deductibles, deal with the insurance, guess what? She has set a new record, it has been a good three years without any more "accidents". They got to have their wallet hurt before they start caring.

...manager at the local Tractor Supply has mentioned she can put Roo to work sweeping the stock room and loading docks (wink wink). Of course she says this to Roo to get her to whine about the hard work but it is having the the opposite effect and Roo wants to take her up on it!

Good! Roo realizes that she has to start at the bottom and work her way up.

I was terrible to my poor children, I would not allow them to get their driver's license until they could pay for "their share" of the insurance... They could get a learners permit because that doesn't hit your insurance, but not the drivers license. The oldest got his learners permit renewed 5 times before getting his drivers license (a week before he left home).

We're having issues with that right now, too. We paid for the driver training classes at the start of last summer, over $100 a piece for the twins. Then took them to the bigger town to get their permit. So they have to each practice 50 hrs and then take the test for the license. Well, they don't want to practice now because they don't have the money for a car, and we won't buy or give them one, so they both said forget it. Grandson asked us once if we can drive him for his first date, and we laughed our head off. He has a girlfriend now and she has to pick him up. I told him to at least pay for her gas. Not having a license here is just dumb....when he works for the neighboring farmer, the seed company owner guy, they have two locations about 5 miles apart, and grandson does follow him over with his other pickup. Tractor driving is required around here, too. And they both drive our ranger side by side around here when doing chores. Another year and a half they will both be 18, and can just go test and get a license. I feel like we wasted the money on the driver training class last summer. We told them that they can get a discount on insurance by adding on to ours if they're under 18, but they'd still have to pay for the car, insurance, and gas. I couldn't wait to be a driver, and I bought my own clunker, too.

If I was King, everyone would have to be a graduate from high school BEFORE they could get a driver's license. There would be no need for large paved parking lots at the high schools because the students would not be driving! Taxpayers would save the cost of the parking lots and maintenance. By eliminating young hormone drivers accident rates would drop. We all would save on insurance.

We went to a big church when the children were little.
My son found out he could get a job a church when he was sixteen, so he ask his mom if he could help the night maintenance carry out the trash. Dear Wife loves to talk after church so she agreed to hang out & wait for him. He trained off the clock for about five months & got a job, ended up working in the kitchen, now he cooks anything he wants too. Sea bass with white sauce, was one of the items. I tried to tease him about it, saying if you can make sea bass for the preacher, then you can make it here at home for you old man. He say Okay, but the Sea Bass run about $100.00 each, you buy it, I will cook it.

Built new stairway going to basement , after the old staircase was ripped out to waterproof the basement.
Do you even know how expensive lumber , especially stair stringers , .
gaah

Looks like I'm completing enough projects to be able to start working on laying the floor in the living room.

So today may be floor laying day....a back breaker.

Only project left in house will be to remodel the utility room.

But , now the basement is waterproofed , she's talking about rooms and finishing it. Eventually I told her , maybe.

Jim

Last edited:
IMHO there is very rarely such a thing as a dry basement 100% of the time. Then to invest in finishing a basement?!?!?

Helitech guarantees no water in basement for life.

I've talked to more than 3 people that had it done , and never had any water after.
2 we're 10 years plus.

I guess we'll see.

Jim

Today will be a very special day for me.

I have a massage appointment this afternoon, then I get to visit my son, his wife, and my new grandson!
He was born Sunday and came into this world at 7 lbs 14 oz.

19874.jpg

If I was King, everyone would have to be a graduate from high school BEFORE they could get a driver's license. There would be no need for large paved parking lots at the high schools because the students would not be driving! Taxpayers would save the cost of the parking lots and maintenance. By eliminating young hormone drivers accident rates would drop. We all would save on insurance.

I didn't get my license until I graduated high school. I did all the drivers training and classes my senior year but did not take the test until that following summer. I was allowed to use my parents' cars BUT had to fill the tank when I returned them. I bought my own car a year later... a 1974 VW Karmann Ghia. I had to get it running and registered before I could drive it. It needed a lot of work. It was sitting for 20 years and the gas in the tank had solidified and the tank had to be replaced. I learned to replace a clutch and brakes and rebuilt the carburetor.

Adorable! Congratulations to you!
Our new basement was sprayed with a finish. My cousin's basement is old, never sprayed, and is always yuck, dirty, humid.
Taking the 3 kids to the dentist. Checkup and cleaning. I'm sure they have cavities and one has a chipped tooth. That'll be more appointments.

My walls never weeped. Our ground water is so high , it was seaping in from under neath . $10,000 later, a 10" trench, with drain and wick. around entire walls into a sump pump with a second backup , pump if the primary fails.
It also has battery backup , good for 8 hrs if power goes off. I have generators anyway.
They just finished it 4 days ago, waiting for rain to see if it works.

Jim

I didn't get my license until I graduated high school. I did all the drivers training and classes my senior year but did not take the test until that following summer. I was allowed to use my parents' cars BUT had to fill the tank when I returned them. I bought my own car a year later... a 1974 VW Karmann Ghia. I had to get it running and registered before I could drive it. It needed a lot of work. It was sitting for 20 years and the gas in the tank had solidified and the tank had to be replaced. I learned to replace a clutch and brakes and rebuilt the carburetor.
My daughter has a restored Karmann Ghia. I have no idea what year it is. It is a car that she drives rarely, along with her dad's 914 Porsche. These are special day cars, parked in a friend's garage. Daughter has also learned about working on cars and has spent lots of hours with wrenches in her hands. The Karmann Ghia belonged to a friend who had cancer in his hip and could no longer drive a clutch.

We had driver's ed. in h.s. and our driver's ed. car had an automatic transmission. Our car at home had a clutch and three on the tree transmission. No one had taught me how to drive that. Grandmother began telling me (she never asked anything, she ordered) to take the car and go do this. I refused until I got my license, because I did not know how to drive the 3 on the tree and if something happened while I was driving before I had my license, I would not have been allowed to get the license before I was 18. So she decided to ride with me and help me learn how to use that shifter. She told me 2nd was straight up from 1st. It isn't, but I shifted from 1st, straight up to reverse. Stopped the car right there, and fortunately didn't destroy the transmission. Driver's ed. teacher lived across the street and up the block. He must have been out in his yard and came to see what had happened. He was a young guy, in his 20's, good looking. I was so embarrassed.
I don't think we had auto insurance back then, or I would have been leveraged to pay for my share or more, as always happened in that household.

I get to visit my son, his wife, and my new grandson!
Congratulations! He's so sweet!
I dont get teenagers not wanting to drive. Baffles me.
Me either! I sold my last horse to get a motorcycle so I could drive by myself with a permit. Sold my last motorcycle to get a car. Always had to pay my own insurance.

Did a video again this morning.
Washed my butcher's gloves--got my deer meat all cut and frozen yesterday.
Figured out how to adjust my glasses.
Made and have 7 quarts of Buffalo Chicken Chili in the PC now.
Done for the day!

The day I turned 16 I bought my first pickup truck, a 1964 Chevy 1/2 ton with my own money. Paid for my own insurance, maintenance and fuel too. Before then I got around mostly on horseback or on foot. I can't imagine not having my own vehicle, or expecting my parents to buy me one. Whats the matter with parents that go out and buy their kids a car? They should buy their own. Every kid is capable of earning their own money for a vehicle.

I got my driver's permit at 14 but we moved overseas where even my parents couldn't have vehicles and we had to use public transportation when I was 15. Stayed there until I was 19 and moved to Guam where I had to take driver's ed and get my license. I used to hate driving because other drivers are crazy and I constantly had to be on defense. Now I don't like being in a vehicle with someone else driving.

Still feeling exhausted. Not coughing much but still feel off. I slept until 3:30pm and then went to get mail and grab sweet feed for the cows because they were giving me pitiful looks.

I had arrhythmia most of the night and morning so I couldn't get restful sleep. I probably need to eat something but I'm not feeling hungry. Just tired.

I dont get teenagers not wanting to drive. Baffles me. I was driving way before I was 16, started on tractors by 8, pick up truck by 11, driving on the road at 12.
I was chomping at the bit to get my license so I could go out on my own.

I don't get it either, it was the first step in personal freedom and girls!

A lot of kids these days are more interested in iPads, iPhones, video games, etc than girls. When I was that age, I was more interested in comic books and martial arts. I never did want to date or go out too much. I never really saw much appeal in spending a lot of time with people. People are ok in small doses, but I prefer to be by myself or with cats.

My daughter iso 28 and when in school almost all of her friends were playing video games etc. She didn't have Gameboy or any of the toys of the day. I hate watching kids as young as 3 playing video games rather than playing outside and getting vitamin D and boosting their immunity by eating dirt etc.

The % of children with allergies, etc has risen since outdoor activities arent utilized.

I get tired of seeing kids with their faces in screens. The twins won't live without their phones, and I'm sorry husband let them get them. Little granddaughter doesn't have one. I told them today that there would be waittime at the dentist, to bring a book. Granddaughter said all her books are on the phone. Nope.

I dont get teenagers not wanting to drive. Baffles me. I was driving way before I was 16, started on tractors by 8, pick up truck by 11, driving on the road at 12.
I was chomping at the bit to get my license so I could go out on my own.
With country kids, like we were, driving is freedom, entertainment, and adventure! I knew people, women, who didn't want to learn to drive. It made no sense to me, but maybe something in their lives was already fulfilled, while I always wanted to be independent.

I get tired of seeing kids with their faces in screens. The twins won't live without their phones, and I'm sorry husband let them get them. Little granddaughter doesn't have one. I told them today that there would be waittime at the dentist, to bring a book. Granddaughter said all her books are on the phone. Nope.
Do you have books at home that they could read? I would think you do, but moving books is a pain. So many kids these days (adults too!) just do not read books.

Now I don't like being in a vehicle with someone else driving.
I'm with you. Too many people never took drivers ed. and just do not know how to be safe when they drive. They never learned how to drive safely or smoothly, what to do when changing lanes, where to be on the road, what to look for. I know people who always want to be the driver if and when we go places. No thank you. We were critiqued about our 20 minutes of driving in driver's ed. each week, with a check off sheet by our teacher and the 2 other drivers in the car. And, we had to drive with a glass pop bottle standing up in the floor boards, to help us know how smoothly we were driving, or not. Give that a try sometime. It is almost impossible to keep a glass pop bottle upright on the floor when driving. I always think of Mr. E when I parallel park. I have had people tell me that they never learned to parallel park and they hate it. With Mr. E., the goal was to get in with one try, to have your wheels close to the curb, but not on the curb and to be in the middle of the parking spot and parallel to the curb.

There was a post about how Sentry18 is still #1 for the most posts here, even though he hasn't been active for over a year and a half. That made me curious to see who our top posters are. I was surprised to find myself on the list at #15, and #19 for top reaction score. I guess I spend more time here than I thought I did...😎

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back