What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flew from Des Moines to Denver to Albequerqe, got the car rented, and now I'm in Carrizozo, NM. I had forgotten how dark it gets down here at night. Theres not even a security light on the horizon. I haven't worked down here since 2017. There's absolutely nothing out here. There's a gas station and a dollar store in town here. The next town is over 30 miles in any direction. If you wanted to survive the zombie apocalypse this would be the place to do it.

I dont get teenagers not wanting to drive. Baffles me. I was driving way before I was 16, started on tractors by 8, pick up truck by 11, driving on the road at 12.
I was chomping at the bit to get my license so I could go out on my own.
Same here. Back home it was a big deal to "get your gravel license". That was when every farm boy got old enough that he could a) see over the dash b) reach the pedals at the same time c) be trusted enough to not go in the ditch with dad's truck. I got mine when I was 11. When you got your gravel license, you could drive on dirt roads to help your dad. You stayed away from pavement because you might see a deputy and of course, a gravel license isn't a real thing.

I don't get kids not wanting to drive either. I think a lot of it is that it requires them to take responsibility for something, which young people apparently don't want, and also they can't be buried in their phones if they're driving...

A lot of kids these days are more interested in iPads, iPhones, video games, etc than girls. When I was that age, I was more interested in comic books and martial arts. I never did want to date or go out too much. I never really saw much appeal in spending a lot of time with people. People are ok in small doses, but I prefer to be by myself or with cats.
My best friend has a 26 year old son. When the kid turned 15 I told my buddy, "You better look out. He'll be sneaking girls in through the basement window soon". My buddy said, "No he won't. Girls don't have a video game controller attached to them"...

I like to take a word search or fill-it-in book and pencil with me when I have a long wait. I admit, I did get a word scramble game on my phone and some word search games that I sometimes play, but I prefer to play those on computer instead where the print is larger. Mom likes to play the little games like that. But most of the time I keep my phone put up when I'm out unless I'm taking pictures or making a call. Sometimes I'll play music if I'm by myself in the doctor's office waiting.

@Weedygarden, part of my issue is that I get car sick. So if I'm not driving I need to have the air blowing on me and I can't read or do anything to distract myself without getting sick. But, it's also because my mother is out of practice on driving and my brother is not a good driver.

@Spikedriver, sounds about right. Sadly, I've met a lot of younger boys / "men" who view women as NPCS they can have sex with but then get upset when women/girls are not interested in them. Or if they can get them, they have no respect for them and trashtalk them afterward.

Still feeling exhausted. Been having headaches the last 2 days. Managed to make myself wash dishes, clean the counter, and cook shepherd's pie for dinner. Mom has also been super tired as well. I don't know if its the weather or some bug going around. I need to clean the toilet but bending gives me trouble breathing and makes me dizzy.

I like to take a word search or fill-it-in book and pencil with me when I have a long wait. I admit, I did get a word scramble game on my phone and some word search games that I sometimes play, but I prefer to play those on computer instead where the print is larger. Mom likes to play the little games like that. But most of the time I keep my phone put up when I'm out unless I'm taking pictures or making a call. Sometimes I'll play music if I'm by myself in the doctor's office waiting.

@Weedygarden, part of my issue is that I get car sick. So if I'm not driving I need to have the air blowing on me and I can't read or do anything to distract myself without getting sick. But, it's also because my mother is out of practice on driving and my brother is not a good driver.

@Spikedriver, sounds about right. Sadly, I've met a lot of younger boys / "men" who view women as NPCS they can have sex with but then get upset when women/girls are not interested in them. Or if they can get them, they have no respect for them and trashtalk them afterward.

Still feeling exhausted. Been having headaches the last 2 days. Managed to make myself wash dishes, clean the counter, and cook shepherd's pie for dinner. Mom has also been super tired as well. I don't know if its the weather or some bug going around. I need to clean the toilet but bending gives me trouble breathing and makes me dizzy.
What my friend meant was, his son wouldn't be interested in girls or wouldn't know what to do with one, because they don't have a video game controller attached to them. The kid would rather play video games than get lucky...

In a few years he will be able to buy a doll with the game controller attached. ;)

We're unloading our equipment off the train in New Mexico this morning. Sitting here waiting for the train crew to spot the train and tie it down. They're taking their sweet time. It's also 25° and the equipment flats are covered in ice so we'll wait for it to warm up a little and loosen that ice up. An employee broke his back falling off an equipment train last year so management is hyper cautious about risk management for this procedure. It's annoying, but it is what it is...

Had to stop a minute to post.
Did video.
Cleaned bathrooms.
Dusted house.
Got ham in the oven.
Paid electric bill.
Still have to walk dogs.
Put yesterday's chili away.
Soak lima beans to cook tomorrow.
Package the ham and put away.
Prayer meeting at 6:30
Busier day!

With country kids, like we were, driving is freedom, entertainment, and adventure! I knew people, women, who didn't want to learn to drive. It made no sense to me, but maybe something in their lives was already fulfilled, while I always wanted to be independent.
My grandmas never drove. Either of them. They never seemed to give it a thought.

Did some more plowing between the barn and the fuel tanks. The diesel delivery should be here today. Its so foggy that its hard to see the road and the drop-offs coming up my road. Got the parts on Monday to repair my tracked snowblower. Looks like the wrong parts though.
I picked up a pound of habanaro peppers yesterday at the store. I'm going to make some hot sauce later today, getting low.

Slowly but surely...
Hope to get half done today.
image.jpg

Jim

OH BOY, I have a floor that needs doing, too!
Was supposed to go to my favorites cousin's daughter's 40th bday breakfast at 7:30 this morning, but she is pretty sick, so it's been postponed. She just got home the day before from Ohio visiting family, and caught whatever is going on there. So, did the chores and it's freezing outside. Went into our little town to the post office, dropped off a number of bags at the thrift store, and went to lunch at the amish place. Back home and I have stuff to get ready for dinner, and some trim to put up in the bathroom.

Just normal household chores today. I am focusing on the master bath. I figure I can do the pre-move bathroom purge while I am at it. Make my job easier even though the move will be mid November.

I am also doing some online shopping for Christmas and the girls' birthdays since all of that will be around the move as well.

The fuel truck started up my road at noon. He got about half way up and went off the road on an S curve. The snow berm kept him from going over the side and rolling down to the creek. Had to get my friend out with his backhoe and pull from the rear, while I chained my tractor to the front of the truck to keep the front end from dropping any further over the edge. Before they left town I told these guys that they need to chain up the truck when they get to my road. He had one chain on one of the outside duels. Said somebody used his chains and didn't put them back. Apparently this was a new truck driver and didn't check his equipment before heading out for a delivery. Most people around here know our road very well. I've had people quit and walk off the job because my road scared them so bad.
After several hours they finally made it up to my fuel tanks. Turns out I only had about 40 gallons of diesel left in the bulk tank. I knew I was getting low.

Various logistical problems kept us from getting anything done at work today. So after getting off early me and another guy took a drive around Carrizozo just to see what we could see. We found a BBQ stand on the side of the road and I think that's going to be supper. Then we googled attractions in the area and stumbled upon the No Scum Allowed Saloon. It's way up on a mountain in an old mining ghost town and it's only open on Friday and Saturday night. I think we'll go check it out tomorrow. With a name like No Scum Allowed, it's got to have some character...

Got half of living room floor down. My whole body thinks I threw in front of a speeding truck.uuugghh.

Tomorrow is wife's rheumatologist appt . Some shopping while in big town. Lunch , I hope at Long Horn , I deserve it.

Friday taking yougest grandson out to lunch. He turns 15.

When am I gonna finish the floor. :dunno:

Jim

Took the little tractor over and mowed the pasture and garden spot at my In-laws. I just know every time my MIL will walk outside she will see it and think about what she can’t do. It will drive her nuts. So mowed it all while she slept. Got a text a bit ago. She went out and saw it and said it surprised her so much. She was so happy and grateful. I feel like it’s going to be the little things for her so trying to think of them. Will hopefully keep up on it since there’s no way she will be able too and my FIL won’t do it.
Time for chores.

Woke up this morning feeling decent for the first time in several weeks. I was gonna tape and mud drywall but remembered it was process ducks day. 7 ducks were turned into dinner, unfortunately none for tonights dinner.
Finally looked into getting a vitamin IV from the PrimeIV place in town. They have several options, depending on what you want to treat. Talked to a friend who recently did this, she is a Chiropractor so she has some medical knowledge between her own studies and several friends who are doctors she works closely with, and she suggested the immunity IV based on what is in it.
" B-6, B12, B-Complex, Magnesium Chloride, Vitamin C, Zinc, Glutathione"
Our friend used this (from a different company in a different state) and said it was the first time she felt like she had energy and felt healthy (young-ish) in several years. I know it is kind of a pricey, YUPPY thing but the introductory price is $69 and I need to do something. I definitely wont be doing this on a monthly basis with a regular price of $150 but if it will boost me for a month I can gat stuff done around here and relieve a HUGE amount of mental stress that is making me feel crappy. Plus I am driving to Vegas Friday for a couple days to hang with my son and watch him play basketball so I don't want to be sitting in the stands feeling like I have been feeling the past few weeks.
I will let you all know how I feel over the next few days and weeks.
So far, actually still feeling pretty good tonight. Not up to snuff as i think I should be feeling but way better than the past few weeks. Oh, and about 3 weeks in to a strict KETO diet. I know the bourbon isn't technically KETO but it helps me fall asleep at night and I have been sleeping much better the past few weeks due to the evening drink. Sooo, cheers! 🥃🥃

Woke up this morning feeling decent for the first time in several weeks. I was gonna tape and mud drywall but remembered it was process ducks day. 7 ducks were turned into dinner, unfortunately none for tonights dinner.
Finally looked into getting a vitamin IV from the PrimeIV place in town. They have several options, depending on what you want to treat. Talked to a friend who recently did this, she is a Chiropractor so she has some medical knowledge between her own studies and several friends who are doctors she works closely with, and she suggested the immunity IV based on what is in it.
" B-6, B12, B-Complex, Magnesium Chloride, Vitamin C, Zinc, Glutathione"
Our friend used this (from a different company in a different state) and said it was the first time she felt like she had energy and felt healthy (young-ish) in several years. I know it is kind of a pricey, YUPPY thing but the introductory price is $69 and I need to do something. I definitely wont be doing this on a monthly basis with a regular price of $150 but if it will boost me for a month I can gat stuff done around here and relieve a HUGE amount of mental stress that is making me feel crappy. Plus I am driving to Vegas Friday for a couple days to hang with my son and watch him play basketball so I don't want to be sitting in the stands feeling like I have been feeling the past few weeks.
I will let you all know how I feel over the next few days and weeks.
So far, actually still feeling pretty good tonight. Not up to snuff as i think I should be feeling but way better than the past few weeks. Oh, and about 3 weeks in to a strict KETO diet. I know the bourbon isn't technically KETO but it helps me fall asleep at night and I have been sleeping much better the past few weeks due to the evening drink. Sooo, cheers! 🥃🥃
Keep us updated💗

I was terrible to my poor children, I would not allow them to get their driver's license until they could pay for "their share" of the insurance... They could get a learners permit because that doesn't hit your insurance, but not the drivers license. The oldest got his learners permit renewed 5 times before getting his drivers license (a week before he left home).

How can they get to a job without a drivers license? Both of our kids got vehicles when they were 16. I signed the titles over to them when they were 18, You can't live in the U.S. really well without driving. The earlier you learn the better. Our son has a friend in Florida that is 23 and still does not have a drivers license. His mother is now disabled and it is causing them a lot of problems that he can't drive.

Back