What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked it up and supposedly the high sugar can cause hallucinations, but I bet it has to be very high. I know someone with diabetes who has had ketoacidosis and been hospitalized for it multiple times. I think they refer to her as a "brittle diabetic".
After some more digging I found out that the anti-nausea meds Mom is taking can cause hallucinations. She refused to go with me to see the doctor (I was the one who had an appointment) but I described the symptoms and he said it sounded like she just had a weird dream and was still half asleep and that it didn't sound like anything to worry about.

I don't know what the ICD-10 diagnosis is. But I can mention it. She did get the prescription and order the Freestyle. Paid out of pocket but then insurance refused to reimburse. Something about her having to check her sugar 3x a day to qualify. I think she secretly doesn't want to check her sugars for some unknown reason and is looking for excuses not to do it.

She was in a crabby mood today. I described what happened on that front in the rant thread.

My appointment went well. I'm down to 204lbs. My shoulder mobility is better and the doctor was happy with me. Said to increase the exercises as much as I'm comfortable doing. I told him I'd already increased the number of rotations I do on some of the exercises (rotating arm out sideways and pendulum ones) and that I did extra stuff like the rope pulley thing. He said I could reduce the number of times I take the prednisone per day. Supposed to be 3x starting out but down to 2x. I've also added glucosomine w/ contdroiten, magnesium, and vitamin gummies (they get rid of the taste of the prednisone).
Medicare pays for once daily testing for non-insulin dependent patients. If the patients is using insulin or an insulin replacement therapy, such as Trulicity, then they cover for up to three times daily testing.

The diagnosis code is for billing. It would be something like E11.65 if they included it.

Filled a cart at Aldi, talked to mom and told her I'd visit tomorrow. We'll see if she remembers! Bought 20 lbs of chicken quarters and cooked them this afternoon. Stripped out the cooked meat for the freezer, the dogs get the skin and scraps, and the barn cats get the bones. Laundry done and hung. Five lbs of corn in the dehydrator. Harvest Right people told husband about the secret reset heat button. Wish we would of known before putting it back together. Ran out of steam before taking it apart and haven't put it back in order to test yet.

Thanks @Peanut no despair here. Flowers are a day brightener for sure.
And hey, I care that your ol' picker friend is doing well and you'll probably get some awesome guitars from him. A friend I worked with many years ago had since moved to the mountains of NC and said a nice sized group of musicians would get together at least once a month, all ages, playing awesome music, folksy country pickin'. He sent me a photo, looked like the old days, right? That was probably 15 years ago, now that I think of it. He played too, so did his sons. He's not there anymore but I hope you can find some folks to play with.

Good morning!
I will walk first, before rain starts--all day event again.
I will come up with a side dish to serve with spaghetti pie tomorrow for company. A salad and garlic bread, for sure, but not betting that everyone will want salad.
Take care of DH IV antibiotics 3 times.
Make popcorn.
Bible study this evening.

Spring  is right around the corner, close to 70° Sunday and Monday!! Have I ever mentioned how much I love summer?😉😃

Well not here, woke up to a few inches of snow, first snow this winter . That was sort of unexpected. We usually get snow earlier.
So animals will probably stay in. We might let the sheep out so we can clean. Sheep make much more mess.
I started on the taxes but waiting on some piece of paper for husband's pension checks
He is still sick and we got into a big argument yesterday, don't ask....
So far I have avoided the cold, but did have a scratchy throat yesterday. I take a lot of vitamins and minerals plus added echinaecea. Hopefully at least one of us stays ok

Talked to my dad yesterday and he is not doing great, he never does in winter. He is now going to the doctor every 2 weeks to have his heart checked. He also told me brother and family are going on a vacation to Thailand so dad will be completely on his own for a few weeks with both of us thousands of miles away. I hope nothing happens. Usually my brother at least calls him every day to check on him. Brother is about an hour and a half away.

This weather is stupid , absolutely STUPID!! Got all kitties and Bear fed, got Bear outside to do his business! There is so much thick glossy ice that I put down a bunch of old sheets so we could walk!! Don't know how donkey feeding will go!! Heavy sleet just starting again, may warm up enough to melt some of this mess later! Making bacon, egg, and cheese English muffins for breakfast! Coffee right now, feel like I could take a nap already. Getting a few more inside jobs done around the house today.

So donkey feeding was also horrific!! Two places I could NOT stand up!! Took the hay cart and some feed to him first, water bucket second. He came out of his shed up the slight hill and ended up on his rear end and slid back down to his shed, I crawled that part!! Crawled it again with the water bucket!! I chopped ice in Bear's yard so we have a walking path and potty area!! It went up to 28°, more sleety stuff to the west! COFFEE BREAK!! There is at least a 1/2" of ice on everything and the ground!

So donkey feeding was also horrific!! Two places I could NOT stand up!! Took the hay cart and some feed to him first, water bucket second. He came out of his shed up the slight hill and ended up on his rear end and slid back down to his shed, I crawled that part!! Crawled it again with the water bucket!! I chopped ice in Bear's yard so we have a walking path and potty area!! It went up to 28°, more sleety stuff to the west! COFFEE BREAK!! There is at least a 1/2" of ice on everything and the ground!
So sorry to hear you are dealing with ice this morning, Pearl. I hope it melts off quickly. It all sounds horrid-don't hurt yourself out there.
We got a surprise dump of snow and ice here in SWVA on the WV/KY border this morning. I'd say 1/4th inch of straight, hard ice, and an inch of snow on top of it.
Of course it shut everything down on these mountain roads. No big nursing test for me today, an extra day of study!
Course it will be melting off soon as the temps rise.
I mixed up my chicken feed yesterday with some warm water to ferment overnight, and have some apples starting to spoil as an extra treat for them today.

Sucks, doesn't it? You're getting the kind of stuff we get up here in Iowa, during late March. Seems like about once a year an ice storm comes along, and everyone spends a day sliding all over. Then, you gotta pick up all your tree branches off the ground because the ice was so heavy it broke them off.

I hope it lets up on you down there. Ice storms are never good for anyone...

Sucks, doesn't it? You're getting the kind of stuff we get up here in Iowa, during late March. Seems like about once a year an ice storm comes along, and everyone spends a day sliding all over. Then, you gotta pick up all your tree branches off the ground because the ice was so heavy it broke them off.

I hope it lets up on you down there. Ice storms are never good for anyone...
If we can make it through tomorrow morning it will all be just a bad memory! And we have plenty of everything, it's just getting around that is so bad!! I'll have ice cleats for the next one!!

My cousin called me this morning they own the local quarry in town and asked me to come over wanted to show me something. I had built a 50x100 shop building for them several years ago. So being close to where we were working we drove over there. They had finally got around to building a stove for the building an one hell of a stove it is!

DED1A958-4D8C-4DD5-BB74-D316323682EF.jpeg
98C31CC3-5AFB-428A-89C2-1EBE9E00AD06.jpeg
27B366EB-33BF-4D9D-A71D-4345EE4B8AEA.jpeg

I wasn't happy with the way rho pressure regulator ball valve combo was install. Maintenance and servicing it would be a pain. So I rearranged things and installed the rest of the ball valves.

20230202_160134_HDR.jpg

20230202_160144_HDR.jpg

No the duct tape is not part of the final install.

Next step will be running lines to connect to second side of the house. No predictions on how long that will take. Lotta scruff to move and sticking my head in place that have seen the light of day in half a century or so.

By the way...

The Princess was pleased with her repaired sword.

Ben

Busy, busy day. Took the girls to their schools, animal chores, husband's breakfast, bin shopping, DG shopping, back home to make lunch. Then off to moms and she was in a snarky mood. Insulting everybody. So I took her to her apartment she'll be moving in to, and talked to her about it, and of course, we'll be downsizing her some. But basically all that's in her second bedroom now is storage and a foldout bed. So she has the fold out bed open, and she put a tablecloth on it, and then some fuzzy bathroom mats on that. You know, the ones that go on the floor around the toilet. So this will give her something to think about, and we'll get her moved soon. My favorite cousin's son in law delivered our half a cow today. Wouldn't fit in our freezers, so we went into the bigger town and got a small freezer from Lowes. Everything is where it should be now. Alot of meat, we just paid the processing, and he provided the cow itself.

I took off today to take the wife to Dr's. It only took 5 hours to complete the trip.... They were not happy with the wife's O2 numbers, below 90 at rest with 4 liters... But everything else was fine. The doctor wanted a report on her recent bout of RSV or what ever. They asked how we treated it and said that other than a extra IV we did as well as they could have done in the Hospital... The wife told the doctor about the IV blockage and how we cleared it, she (the doctor) was amazed that we were able to figure it out unassisted (we had called for help but it came 2 days after the event). FYI we used Heparin to loosen the clot, used a syringe with a needles port to extract the clot with some blood, then used Saline and Heparin to clean the line to restore flow....

We got home fairly early but we were bushed... This evening I turned my attention to the 2023 indoor garden...

I wasn't happy with the way rho pressure regulator ball valve combo was install. Maintenance and servicing it would be a pain. So I rearranged things and installed the rest of the ball valves.

View attachment 103466

View attachment 103467

No the duct tape is not part of the final install.

Next step will be running lines to connect to second side of the house. No predictions on how long that will take. Lotta scruff to move and sticking my head in place that have seen the light of day in half a century or so.

By the way...

The Princess was pleased with her repaired sword.

Ben
Forgive me but I am giddy having learned to mark up a photo with a smart thingy!

20230202_160144_HDR~3.jpg

The valve connection to the central manifold alignments are:

A - Side 2 hot

B - side 2 cold

C - side 1 cold

D - 3rd heater hot

E - 3rd heater cold plus pressure regulator.

F - Side 1 hot

So if you happen to be visiting when one of my water heater fails you can flip some valves to go with a backup. :thumbs:

Ben

Work has been crazy-stupid lately. Wears me out. I have to keep reminding myself I'm very thankful for this job and it is the best job I've ever had. Just sometimes gets very frustrating.
Got some wonderful snow last weekend, even got the snowblower out and played for a while. My truck could still have gotten out, but Daughter was here to visit and her little car would have dragged bumpers. Managed to find that magical point of balance between the throttle and choke to keep the 'blower running, so that was fun. I enjoy making the snow fly and getting all covered with it so I look like a yeti, sort of reminds me of how great it felt, running around in the snow as a kid. We've had some colder nights into the negative temps, I love how clear and bright the sky is in the cold. Orion seems close enough to talk to.
No work tomorrow, hopefully I can get some good sleep tonight and gather some energy to get at all the chores I've been ignoring.

Finally got to have a date with the lady I've been seeing for a few months. Our schedules are always sideways so we hadn't been able to get together for almost a month. But tonight I took her to Rube's steakhouse for her birthday. She enjoyed her New York strip, even though she thought it was kind of weird that you have to stand around a great big grill and cook your own steak there.

Now I'm going to go to go to bed and get a real night's sleep for once. I'm trying to figure out how to get my daughter's car into the express oil change joint in the next town over before I leave for work on Monday. She's always driving the damn thing during business hours. I might make her swap and drive my truck on Saturday morning. Her short film project qualified for State so she's headed to Des Moines Saturday morning with the other girls in her class to present it. I can steal her car then...

Had to go to town and get meds for the folks. Got a few groceries, finally able to buy 4lb bags of frozen catfish fillets that are farmed here in alabama. They've been erratic, only able to get 1lb bags since before thanksgiving. Which is strange, in 2020 bama farmers produced 94 million pounds of catfish. I noticed supply problems in 2021 though, seems to be getting worse.

Rained all day, over an inch. Made the drive to town more difficult.

Last day of my bacon vacation! Icy now but will thaw today, I wonder how much?! Was easier to walk on when I took Bear out earlier. Beautiful moon setting in the west, ready for the sun! Need to haul more firewood up from my covered stacks. Doing some laundry and light cleaning. Of course a nap is on my list!!

I had a decent night at work. Came home, cracked open a cold one and went shopping on Amazon. The stuff I need is not available in town, I checked several places with no luck. Sent an Amazon gift card to my daughter for her birthday. Ordered a few more air hose fittings for my project in the garage. Ordered some Egyptian Walking Onion bulbs for the yard/garden, similar to a very large scallion and they produce their own bulbs for replanting and the onion has a good flavor and gets stronger the older they get. They can survive a cold winter and grow back every spring, and they are called walking onions because as the greens get taller and grow new bulbs for replanting if they get heavy and fall over those bulbs will sprout themselves into the dirt and "walk" across the yard unless you tend to them. A small electric water pump to plumb a 3 stage filter into the water tank where I wash out the silk screens, the filter is actually the first 3 stages of my old Revers osmosis system and the filters I have are very large, medium and fine so they can filter out the gunk without much concern about them plugging up plus I will have a screen and fine cloth on the water pickup on the bottom of the tank to keep out the heavy stuff.
GF heads off for another 3 day work trip in a couple hours so that means I get extra room in the bed to spread out this weekend. =-) My hips are happier in the morning when I can stretch out at night.
Weather morons are predicting mid to upper 40's and sunny this weekend so maybe the snow on the dirt driveway will melt. I parked my truck at the top end of the property so the sun can melt the snow where I park, that way I can scatter the pine shavings on the mud and work it in to help dry up the water and firm up the soil to hopefully do away with the mud bog trenches where I park.
Aside from all that, I got nothing exciting to share. Sweet dreams for me, good morning to all ya'all.

Already washing rugs and dog blankets.
Will walk next.
Have some cooking to do for company coming this afternoon.
Visit and relax!

DH's IV antibiotics are going well. Should be done tomorrow.

Last day of my bacon vacation!
I cooked a pound in your honor, yesterday!

Doin the happy dance!! :dancing: I have a gable to get some Cedar Shakes on tomorrow and was planning to get to work in the below freezing temps so I could still have time to cut some trees and do cleanup in preps for the power lines to go up. The power company sent up a crew this morning to cut the trees up to the first new pole that will go in (they do the first pole and tree cutting free) and the tree guys called me and asked if I wanted the wood chips they will make and where they should put them. After going over the place to dump them he said that he would just have his crew cut on up for the rest of the poles and not worry about charging for that since I was saving them hours of drive time by taking the chips. I LOVE the people in that small area!!!! I'll end up with about 30 yards of free wood chips and won't have to do all of the cutting myself. And .. you can bet on it that I'll have all 30 yards of chips spread in places by the end of the weekend. :ghostly:

Latest posts

Back