What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday afternoon it was sunny, calm, and almost 50, this morning the winds are howling out of the NorthWest and the temperatures are just below freezing and dropping. I went out and turned the truck around so I can clean it out easily, a snow flake landed on my nose and all I could think is," Where did that come from?".

After the last blast of COLD air I added an extra layer of plastic curtains around my greenhouse growing racks, I am hoping it will keep the plants safe from the chill...

Public Service Announcement: when booking airline tickets online, don't use Kiwi.com!

I booked a round trip through them a couple weeks ago for Feb 6 - Feb 14. Supposed to fly out to Vegas for work, Allegiant Air going out and United flying home. I had it all booked and confirmed but I went to pull it up this morning, and nothing! Zip, nada, no booking at all. I spent hours on the phone trying to get through to Allegiant but their customer service sucks donkeys. I finally gave up and re-booked through Expedia. It cost me over $500 plus another $270 for a rental car for those days. My expense money will cover it, but damn! I could've had the round trip for $220 if Kiwi hadn't screwed the pooch...

Dealing with a weird sinus cold. Mucus is clear and only seems to be present in the morning and evening. Today I have sinus pressure that is causing a major sinus headache that made it impossible to sleep last night. I took some meds this morning for the headache but it is not helping at all. Lots of herbal tea and honey lemon syrup. I am tempted to put a heating pad on my face.

Working to fill my herbal supplies. I want to have everything in place to cover until I can get the herbs planted. Both for us and the animals. I need to get the rabbit molting remedy put together before it gets warm in the spring. Lots of herbs needed.

The meat freezer is having seal issues and I can't find a replacement seal anywhere! We have been locking it to help keep it closed but it has a bit of give. We might have to get fridge child locks since they don't have any give. A cheap fix. Damn lack of replacement parts and disposable consumerism!

Dealing with a weird sinus cold. Mucus is clear and only seems to be present in the morning and evening. Today I have sinus pressure that is causing a major sinus headache that made it impossible to sleep last night. I took some meds this morning for the headache but it is not helping at all. Lots of herbal tea and honey lemon syrup. I am tempted to put a heating pad on my face.

Working to fill my herbal supplies. I want to have everything in place to cover until I can get the herbs planted. Both for us and the animals. I need to get the rabbit molting remedy put together before it gets warm in the spring. Lots of herbs needed.

The meat freezer is having seal issues and I can't find a replacement seal anywhere! We have been locking it to help keep it closed but it has a bit of give. We might have to get fridge child locks since they don't have any give. A cheap fix. Damn lack of replacement parts and disposable consumerism!
Did you try...

https://www.repairclinic.com/
?

Ben

Today was garden related tasks. Planted some pepper seeds to make up for me missing 5hem when planted the broccoli and tomatoes. Ordered seed potatoes using a discount code from Territorial seed. Cleaned up the greenhouse. All of the sensitive trees are going to spend another night inside because we are expecting a low of 8 overnight.

Looking forward to an evening with The Princess on the front porch watching the sun set as we solve all of the world's problems. ;)

Ben

Finally, a beautiful sunny day! I had to get into the woods, chewing at the bit for spring to get here. Went for a nice walk in the hardwoods at a place I call the "little creek". After 5 days of rain it wasn't so little anymore.

20230203_upfreea.jpg

Stayed home today after going all over the place yesterday. Got the usual morning chores done, then made lunch. Cleaned out our small garage, and got it swept clean. The barn cats came and watched. Loaded more firewood on the porch bin racks. Two more buckets of kindling collected. Laundry done and hung. Our first freeze dryer batch worked! After all the repair problems...so in went batch #2. I put the organic apple slices in that the lady with the little boy that had cancer wanted done. She gave me a gallon bag of sliced bananas, too, to do that are in the freezer, and they'll go next. Ordered my favorite cousin's birthday gift, emptied the dehydrator of more sweet corn. AND the geese got their pool party this afternoon since the hose thawed out.

Went to funeral visitation this morning and a wedding this afternoon. Wedding was to start at 4. At 4:30 we were told wedding was moving outside as originally planned. Grab a blanket at door. Chairs were wet and misting so chilly at 66 degrees. Each had 8 attendants and 1 flower girl. All ladies wore long dresses that got soaked hems and shoes. Beautiful and short wedding. Did not stay for reception so could come home and close chickens up. Unusual to have deputies there. Open bar I guess.

I've been going to more funerals than weddings lately.

Had an interview at work to replace one of the 5 tech openings we have that have came since New Years. Waste of time, he has no expereince in anything we do. Fudged what looked close on his resume. Nice guy, but he just ain't ready. After that I worked more on getting a quote to install 4 new remote gamma monitoring stations that are solar powered. We already have done about 30 or so. The batteries are now dying on those so I'm doing a project for funding to replace at least 10 of those. New batteries and wifi antennas. 2 biggies I wasn't planning to deal with. But the upgrades I've been asking to start on for 2+ years now with no response. Since we lost 2 stations, suddenly it's important.
Stopped by TSC, actually 2 on my way home trying to find a lawn mower, just a push model. I need to be able to mow inbetween my raised beds. Weed eating isn't acceptable. Also stopped by a local cigar shop and got a couple new ones for future use.

Stayed home today after going all over the place yesterday. Got the usual morning chores done, then made lunch. Cleaned out our small garage, and got it swept clean. The barn cats came and watched. Loaded more firewood on the porch bin racks. Two more buckets of kindling collected. Laundry done and hung. Our first freeze dryer batch worked! After all the repair problems...so in went batch #2. I put the organic apple slices in that the lady with the little boy that had cancer wanted done. She gave me a gallon bag of sliced bananas, too, to do that are in the freezer, and they'll go next. Ordered my favorite cousin's birthday gift, emptied the dehydrator of more sweet corn. AND the geese got their pool party this afternoon since the hose thawed out.
I'm jealous of the geese!

I haven't slept much the past few nights - some folks do fine with that, but not me. I got to take a nap today - it was glorious! Worked out in the summer kitchen. It was supposed to be upper 40s-50* today. They lied! The highest I saw it was 40*. I did make some headway. It's still donning the blue tarp for a roof that the roofers put on as a temp fix. Will probably be a few more weeks until they get back out here.
Got what seeds I need ordered - had been wanting to get that done.
Made onion bombs for supper. No recipe just an idea I saw. Hubby whole stomachly approved 😂 He ate 2!

I haven't slept much the past few nights - some folks do fine with that, but not me. I got to take a nap today - it was glorious! Worked out in the summer kitchen. It was supposed to be upper 40s-50* today. They lied! The highest I saw it was 40*. I did make some headway. It's still donning the blue tarp for a roof that the roofers put on as a temp fix. Will probably be a few more weeks until they get back out here.
Got what seeds I need ordered - had been wanting to get that done.
Made onion bombs for supper. No recipe just an idea I saw. Hubby whole stomachly approved 😂 He ate 2!
Haha, I took your weather, I took your weather!! 51° today, was supposed to be 40°! Not much ice left!!

On the road most of today, ferrying children to various places. Dinner is ready in the slow cooker, and I have a few grocery essentials to pick up as it's a new bank holiday here in honour of Saint Brigid.
As part of a writing routine I'm trying to create, I've started two notebooks, adding recipes the boys like, whenever I have five minutes. I have two other older notebooks, the girls will take eventually- but we've always treated them equally and passing on a bit of family history shouldn't be any different. My sister gave me a gorgeous leather handbag that was my mother's, Dad gave it to her when they were dating. It's beautifully worked, I'll share some photos when I get it cleaned up. The strap was damaged, but I finally found someone local to fix it yesterday. I was also given her nurse's watch, circa 1970, so I want to find a way of displaying it in a box frame. A little bit of Pinteresting me thinks, for ideas.

Today is the start of my mid-winter cleaning. Have lots of laundry, sorting, and putting things away. I need to do some work on the raised beds outside, but we are looking for a high of 29 and breezy, might do more indoor stuff.

But first I need to do the weekly grocery shopping. But, to do that I need to get the wheelchair out of the trunk of the car...

Well, it's 05:30, been up for an hour or so, time to wake up the chickens and let her roll.....

After 3 hours of sleep I decided I couldn't sleep anymore and got out of bed, but the best I did was surf the net for maybe 30 minutes. I did set up my online stock broker thingamabob to the new company taking over the old company, which is a good thing because the new company says they do not charge for online trades. The old company only offered a few free trades a year then charge about $7 per trade, so that is a good thing. I transferred $100 into the account but I will wait a couple weeks until the new company takes over to buy more of what I already own. I went for the mail, stopped and talked to a guy in the neighborhood and had a good conversation. He said he will help me teach the girls, and later on my boys when they visit next, how to protect themselves both by evasion and if necessary with a knife. One set of creepy guys following the girls around a couple years ago was enough for me to set them up with a whistle, pepper spray, and a knife. They are too young for a firearm. The butcher in Wyoming called to verify how we want our side of beef cut and packaged. THICK steaks, a few roasts, extra fat on both plus a package of the discarded tallow and the bones and the organs and the oxtail. We want it all. If we don't eat it the birds will enjoy the extra protein to help with egg production and overall health. Our neighbors have family up there and know the rancher/butcher and they will go to pick up our half with their half. If the days work out I may try to tag along for a getaway. If so I will had a "tip" over to get in on their good side.
Decent night at work, came home at 4am and scattered some more wood chips on the dirt driveway to help alleviate the mud problem. It is easier to scatter the chips when the ground is frozen so I don't have to slip around in the mud. I am about to prepare my late night dinner, pre bedtime meal and I am surfing the web again but not finding much of interest.
It's my weekend. I am hoping to get maybe 5 or 6 hours of sleep (wishful thinking) and then do some more organizing and rearranging in the garage. Maybe, just maybe, if things work out OK I will take the girls to the diner north of here for dinner. It is kind of pricey lately but it is easier than cooking and each of us can get whatever we want.
For know, sweet dreams for me and good morning to all ya'all.

Very cold out, around 10 right now. It is supposed to warm up above freezing today. I really need to do some laundry but it's either to wet out or frozen.
I am ready for summer
Still have to finish the tax stuff too but I about 3/4 done and then it gets sent off to the accountant.

Lady Locust: what's a onion bomb?
Grimm: a perfect seal on a chest freezer is really not necessary. We have one that is broken, and it still works just fine. Heat rises, so the cold stays on the bottom. Just put some duct tape on the broken parts ...

We are supposed to get a break in the weather. Temps will be in the 50's the next three or four days. I WILL get in at least one round of golf. Oh BTW, I have already done the dishes.

Finally slept decently last night, slow start this morning but I do have all the dishes done and ordered some seeds. Lots of sun pouring in the windows and crisply cold out, both help a bit with the clouds of depression I've been living under for the last 400 days. Thinking maybe today is the day to tackle some of the overwhelmingness around here. I literally have not folded any of the laundry this whole time, simply dumping it on the bed in the guestroom. Now it's a giant pile of wrinkled everything and since I rarely leave the house all I do is pull out fresh sweatpants and sweatshirts and I never turn on the camera for work meetings. Goal for today is to clear that bed off and fold everything. Hoping I'll find some matching socks.

So nice to have thawed animal water and hoses this morning! Animals done, more wood brought up to the covered porch, secondary kindling bin filled, and the rabbit cages all cleaned and their manure put on the garden area. Going to have little granddaughter help clean out the second room in the milkhouse, where the dogs have been hiding on for cold weather. Freeze dryer failed again last night, so frustrating.

So nice to have thawed animal water and hoses this morning! Animals done, more wood brought up to the covered porch, secondary kindling bin filled, and the rabbit cages all cleaned and their manure put on the garden area. Going to have little granddaughter help clean out the second room in the milkhouse, where the dogs have been hiding on for cold weather. Freeze dryer failed again last night, so frustrating.
Thought I was reading my own post at first!! It is nice having everything thawed! Scared me for a minute, I don't have rabbits or a little granddaughter!😮

Well all your cold weather has finally reached me. It was zero this morning when I got up. The other day the furnace went out, right before the cold stab. Got it repaired wonderful. Of course last night the radiator in the living room (The one right across from the thermostat), the air valve took a crapper and the radiator is cold. There’s only two other in the apartment and they’re really far away from the thermostat. Today has been spent trying to bring up the temperature in the room so that the thermostat doesn’t keep requesting the oil furnace to be running constantly.

It is supposed to be warmer tomorrow in the 40s.

Latest posts

Back