What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today has been busy, did the shopping, finished the tax return (wife audited it) DONE!

Hey @Tommyice , put an old time light bulb (NO LEDS OR CFLs) under the thermostat the heat from the light bulb (it has to be on) will trick the thermostat into thinking it's warmer. Growing up in AZ I had lots of friends who lived on base housing back when the AC thermostat was set by the post and locked in a cage, they used the trick to keep the house a little cooler....

The wife and I have been discussing low-wattage appliances, she requested a stainless steel electric skillet and a larger coffee pot, I was also "allowed" to replace my back up solar panels... :cool:

Today has been busy, did the shopping, finished the tax return (wife audited it) DONE!

Hey @Tommyice , put an old time light bulb (NO LEDS OR CFLs) under the thermostat the heat from the light bulb (it has to be on) will trick the thermostat into thinking it's warmer. Growing up in AZ I had lots of friends who lived on base housing back when the AC thermostat was set by the post and locked in a cage, they used the trick to keep the house a little cooler....

The wife and I have been discussing low-wattage appliances, she requested a stainless steel electric skillet and a larger coffee pot, I was also "allowed" to replace my back up solar panels... :cool:
Yeah that’s one of my tricks for when the furnace goes out every light in the house goes on (I still use incandescent), pot of water simmers on the stove which works out nicely because it’s an electric stove just a giant radiator. The crazy thing is over in the bedroom area, the temperature was 64-65 which is perfect for me. In the living room where the thermostat is it was registering 59. There is no wall between the rooms. My apartment is 500 ~ish square foot. The thermostat in my apartment controls the entire building. The other three apartments were very very toasty.

Cleaned out the gross room in the milkhouse, and husband thinks he got the freeze dryer going again, so I put four trays in. We'll see. Fingers crossed. Going to the range with cousin Bob tomorrow after lunch, so trying to find everything we need. It's been so well hidden, I hide things from myself most of the time. Time to do the afternoon animal chores

Cleaned out the gross room in the milkhouse, and husband thinks he got the freeze dryer going again, so I put four trays in. We'll see. Fingers crossed. Going to the range with cousin Bob tomorrow after lunch, so trying to find everything we need. It's been so well hidden, I hide things from myself most of the time. Time to do the afternoon animal chores
I do that too - it's like a daily Easter egg hunt. 😂
Got to play outside just a little today. Much needed!

My daughter's car got its first oil change since I bought it for her. I rode along, and made her drive it to the quick lube joint, which is a family run, mom n pop business in the next town over. She had to drive it into the shop, line it up over the pit, and follow all the instructions from the oil change tech. It was a good experience for her, I think. We had the air filter changed while we were there, along with some fresh Mobil 1 for the motor. Her car is ready for the next 5000 miles.

She's at State for speech. I kind of feel bad that I didn't go, but she didn't tell me parents could watch until after I had already made plans for the afternoon. When I was in school, parents didn't go to speech contests.

I've done laundry and had a helluva good workout in the gym today, and I'm getting my gear ready to go back to Nevada for work on Monday. I think maybe I'll take the kid out for dinner tonight..

Cleaned the outside animals water bowls, filled the bird feeder, filled the cat and chicken feeders. Went to the woodshop and picked up some spanish cedar veneer for the next ammo can humidor. cut 3 sides to fit and glued one in place. two more tomorrow, and maybe the end parts.

My daughter's car got its first oil change since I bought it for her. I rode along, and made her drive it to the quick lube joint, which is a family run, mom n pop business in the next town over. She had to drive it into the shop, line it up over the pit, and follow all the instructions from the oil change tech. It was a good experience for her, I think. We had the air filter changed while we were there, along with some fresh Mobil 1 for the motor. Her car is ready for the next 5000 miles.

She's at State for speech. I kind of feel bad that I didn't go, but she didn't tell me parents could watch until after I had already made plans for the afternoon. When I was in school, parents didn't go to speech contests.

I've done laundry and had a helluva good workout in the gym today, and I'm getting my gear ready to go back to Nevada for work on Monday. I think maybe I'll take the kid out for dinner tonight..
You are so awesome for having your daughter drive her car into the lube place, she can do that now!! And great for her going to State!! Hope y'all went to dinner!! You BOTH deserve it!!

Finally got the grapevines and honey suckle off the cattle panels ( I pout them on 4x4 post with a horizontal board across) I use from my grape arbor. What a mess that was. Still gotta dig up the suckle and mow everything but the vines to the dirt. Also gotta figure out which vines I'm gonna leave in place to train. One section has at least 10-12 vines in one 7' section. I also need to dig up some small vines that have rooted and pot them to plant next winter to extend the plot.
On the down side I found at least 2 cross members rotten and 1 post. Gonna replace the cross pieces right away and figure out what to use to replace all my post. They only lasted 6 or 7 years. That was a lot of work down the tubes. Now I get to do it again. My first thought was to get some schedule 80 conduit and drive in the ground, and use tee's to extend the cross members with more S-80. Not sure that's practical but first thought.
Gotta call later in the day from a buddy of mine. His wife is not doing well, COPD has her on 100% oxygen. She spent 2 weeks in the hospital in November and dropped 30lbs. She's now 86 lbs but back home. Prayers for them would be much appreceiated.

You are so awesome for having your daughter drive her car into the lube place, she can do that now!! And great for her going to State!! Hope y'all went to dinner!! You BOTH deserve it!!
Thanks! We are at a Thai joint and she is about to experience Pad Thai for the first time. I predict she will become addicted to Thai food. I ordered spicy peanut chicken. I'm already addicted to it, there is no hope for me!😁

Finally got the grapevines and honey suckle off the cattle panels ( I pout them on 4x4 post with a horizontal board across) I use from my grape arbor. What a mess that was. Still gotta dig up the suckle and mow everything but the vines to the dirt. Also gotta figure out which vines I'm gonna leave in place to train. One section has at least 10-12 vines in one 7' section. I also need to dig up some small vines that have rooted and pot them to plant next winter to extend the plot.
On the down side I found at least 2 cross members rotten and 1 post. Gonna replace the cross pieces right away and figure out what to use to replace all my post. They only lasted 6 or 7 years. That was a lot of work down the tubes. Now I get to do it again. My first thought was to get some schedule 80 conduit and drive in the ground, and use tee's to extend the cross members with more S-80. Not sure that's practical but first thought.
Gotta call later in the day from a buddy of mine. His wife is not doing well, COPD has her on 100% oxygen. She spent 2 weeks in the hospital in November and dropped 30lbs. She's now 86 lbs but back home. Prayers for them would be much appreceiated.
Prayers for your friend, his wife, and all affected!♥️

Thanks Pearl. Pops is a Vietnam Vet I met online years ago. Got to have a face to face a few years ago. He's a heck of a guy and a good friend
Never got to meet his wife. They live in Northern Ohio.
I'm glad she is home, that's the place to be, you always feel better at home!!

Worked today, went by fast. Too tired to drive down to the church meeting, glad I could watch it on zoom. Tomorrow I'll drive down to the next church meeting. Windows were down for ride home from work. Nice!
Looks like the husky/wolf dog owners finally got the fence finished, not before the animal got back into the yard 3 or 4 more times since the other day. He knocked down the buckets and flower pots I had used as another blockade, about 4' tall.
Nice outing, @Peanut Wishing for the same myself. Love the smell of moisture in the air in the spring. And the smell of worms. :)
@Bacpacker sorry about your friend's wife not doing well. Prayers for them.
Just wondering where I'm going to be in the next year. Observing @Grimm preparing to move...I want to plant more stuff and it falls to crap every year. I did okay back east and sometimes really think that's where I should go... many do fine gardening here in Texas...
@Heartbroken it will get better. It will.

Well, let's see. After my night shift at work I slept from about 6am to about 10:30am, woke up and flushed my sinuses of a bunch of gunk (I hate dry winter air) and watched a movie for a bit until falling back to sleep about noon until about 3:30. Got up, flushed the crud again and went to the mail box. Sent a text to my daughter who wont talk to me to let her know a gift card was delivered to her today for Amazon and surprisingly she texted back right away that she would look for it when she gets home. I guess that was enough conversation for her.
I started watching The Irishman and about a half hour into that I fell asleep and slept another few hours. I woke up feeling pretty good and started watching The Irishman again. It is a very slow movie but ultimately it gets to the "disappearance" of Hoffa. Being from the Detroit area it is of interest to me, but my GF occasionally talks about how as a little girl her dad was friends with Tony Provenzano and she would call him Uncle Tony. I remember the rare occasions when visiting my gramma my dads older cousins would stop by and if the conversation would turn to comments about the Mafia his cousins would say "They are good people, you just don't want to do them wrong." I was little and to this day I still don't know what connection they had but I guess it couldn't have been too bad because I passed a background check to be a Police Officer.
Amazon sent me the parts I need to finish the air hose set up in the garage for the air compressor. I am befuddled that the local stores do not have a decent supply of air hose fittings and connectors, I can't be the only person who puts an airline system in a garage. If I feel decent tomorrow I will work on that project.
Oh, looky there, it is after 10pm, guess it is about bed time. The only down side to working nights is trying to catch up on sleep the first day of the weekend.

It's a bank holiday here, a new one, and the first of the year. The weather is glorious and my husband is home, spending the day with the new dog- though I'm sure I'll get a look in later!
So far I've heard 'good dog', the occasional 'NO!' and 'Get back here!' 😂 the cats are nowhere to be seen. Hoping to take two of the dogs to the forest park tomorrow for some lead training- my dog is well out of practice.
I spent the morning cooking- got a pack of bacon on sale yesterday from 3.20 down to €1, so we had bacon and eggs for breakfast as a treat, and I made spag bol sauce and two lasagnes for future dinners. Today will be spent on homework and trying to find 20 missing receipts for my husband's accounts. The six nations rugby tournament has started so will hopefully get to watch today's game also.
Have a lovely weekend folks!

Suns heating up the sky, almost time to switch to "daytime mode". Not much today, Sunday morning "cartoon/together time with Lori, then watch the church service, maybe finish a piddle around project, read relax and reflect. Maybe Chili for dinner., maybe Tues or Wed when it's gray and raining.

Bummer about the meds doing that.
Went to the range with cousin Bob, found out it was closed for a month. So we set up a range at our place. Had a good couple of hours of fun time. An armadillo decided to burrow in our porch lawn area. We tried to chase it off, now it's under the wood rack on our porch. Annoying the barn cats and little granddaughter. Going to my favorite cousin's for dinner.

Slept most of yesterday and most of last night. I enjoyed some Spam and eggs for breakfast and have been slowly working in the garage today. My son sent me a picture of him at the Pro Bowl game in Vegas, he is wearing his Michigan Tom Brady jersey. Apparently they didn't sell enough tickets and gave away a bunch of free tickets to the school district, and probably others, in an effort to fill up the seats. He is at the game with his mom. I asked which team he is rooting for, his reply..... the NFC because of the Lions and the Bucs. That's my boy. 🤠
The guestimate from the weather morons for rain and snow proved accurate as we just started getting some rain/snow/hail/sleet. We need the water, so I guess that is a good thing.

Did most of the laundry yesterday, plus cleaned the bedroom.

I also did something money saving that worked. Our son likes to put frozen breaded chicken pieces in the oven when he wants a snack. I used to just buy bags of them but they have gotten so expensive I stopped. Not paying $15 for 5 little breaded chicken pieces. So I tried making them myself , just put the chicken breast pieces in flour , then egg then panko breadcrumbs. I put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer, then the next day in a freezer bag. Put the in oven yesterday to try it out and they were really good. Better than the store ones and much much cheaper

Today we are going to split up the sheep since, surprise...we are getting low on good hay again already. So only the pregnant ewes are going to get the good hay. The rest is going to get the so so hay. That means for the next month or so we will have 1 additional area to clean in the barn and the dogs won't have their own room at night.

Plus I still need to finish the taxes, husband's pension tax statement finally got here

Company left yesterday afternoon. What a great visit! My girlfriend and I got a haircut and went to lunch. All within our little town. Didn't do a lot, just visit. Good friends mean a lot more, the older one gets!
Today, I will walk first.
Do laundry.
Purge cup and glasses cabinet.
Organize and bag all plastic cutlery, plates and cups so that it is easier to get them when needed. We rarely use them.

Nurse should be here this morning to draw blood for labs and remove mid-line from DH's arm. Yay!

Back