What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get better soon @Terri9630 and asthmatics as you know are more likely to get bronchitis and pneumonia than other people unfortunately. Take care and rest up when you can because as you know it can get worse. Yes I am an asthmatic too but just allergic asthma for me when there is smoke, change of seasons, high pollen counts and of course dust storms which are abounding here at the moment with the drought. At the moment we are seeing regular red dust storms here. I was a severe asthmatic as a child but it has got far better since adulthood, oops wait did I say I was as adult :p .

Having dealt with the weather service during my time with our EmComm group. They can give tornado watches (conditions are favorable for tornados to form) and warnings (tonado's forming are imminent). But they can't give much warning until they have actually formed and are on the ground. Most reports are actually given from individuals calling in reports. The NWS and news stations take these reports to update their reporting.

We have Ham operators that deploy to the NWS when storms are in the area and all around the area hams will run nets that are monitored by the NWS. Sometimes they will break in and ask questions to fine tune their data. The radar sites see out around their sites many miles, but the farther away from the site they get, the further from the ground the signal goes. So the radars can see storms, but can't tell exactly what is happening on the ground, in particular if your location is at the fringe of the radar.

Good to hear that the storm missed you @timmie.

@Peanut no the people in that area with 6 mins warning had not a hope and I heard on the news that most don't have storm shelters either. Surely the people giving out the warnings had more warning than the 6 minutes they gave the residents ? or do they happen that fast there. We normally get 1 - 2 hours of warning with ours over here about a severe storm front coming and enough time to batten down the hatches.

Sewing... our National weather service will issue a "Tornado Watch" for an area when they believe the conditions are right for a possible tornado. This area may only be for a few counties or most of a state or several states. When the national weather service radar stations pick out a tornado signature in a storm a "Tornado Warning" is issued. The tornado signature may be a circulation up in the clouds or a massive tornado on the ground already destroying homes. People don't get excited until the warning is issued. For some the warning may be to late.

I remember once in Tennessee I was continually under a watch or warning condition 4days.

That is so dangerous! No wonder the death count was so high.

Is there a problem with digging a hole in the yard and building a root cellar / storm cellar? We had one when I was growing up. We played in it on hot summer days. I know the water table can be one issue.

In a very flat area your storm cellar ends up being a small pond during spring rains. People who can afford it build an above ground shelter and have loads of dirt hauled in to cover it. Where I live it's hilly country. It's easy to find a slope to dig a storm shelter into.

In a very flat area your storm cellar ends up being a small pond during spring rains. People who can afford it build an above ground shelter and have loads of dirt hauled in to cover it. Where I live it's hilly country. It's easy to find a slope to dig a storm shelter into.
The ones in South Dakota that I was around were dug into the ground, like a small basement, then concrete poured. I never fully got how the ceiling of the shelter was built so that it supported the dirt. The dirt was mounded over the top, creating a hill of sorts that was great for children to ride their bikes over, and more. I'd bet that some got some water in them, but I never saw any that did.

After a little research I see another reason the death toll was so high. The Tornado Watch was issued at 12 noon on Sunday. Most church services at just ending at that time. In a rural area several thousand people would not have known about the Watch.

Then there is tradition... Sunday dinner with family, other church members etc (most call it lunch)... Sunday is a very social day. The tornado Warning was issued at 1:58pm. Most folks would have been just getting home from social events. Pastors would have still been out visiting the sick...

I believe a lot of people would have had no warning at all simply because of southern traditions. :(

Took Peanut Butter for her rabies shot today and set her up to have her teeth cleaned when I get back in April. Did second load of laundry and got about half packed for trip. Switched to smaller suitcase as bigger one is too heavy and awkward for me. Pretty much just messed around this afternoon.

Get better soon @Terri9630 and asthmatics as you know are more likely to get bronchitis and pneumonia than other people unfortunately. Take care and rest up when you can because as you know it can get worse. Yes I am an asthmatic too but just allergic asthma for me when there is smoke, change of seasons, high pollen counts and of course dust storms which are abounding here at the moment with the drought. At the moment we are seeing regular red dust storms here. I was a severe asthmatic as a child but it has got far better since adulthood, oops wait did I say I was as adult :p .

I have allergy induced asthma and I'm allergic to anything with pollen or a super strong smell. I think the big problem here is that I drive a school bus and people won't keep their kids home when they are sick. They will drop them off at the bus stop with an obvious fever or vomiting. I can't leave them there and have to let them on to contaminate everyone else. 2 months, 25 days left and I'm done. 24 of those are non school days. I can't wait to move up to the mountain!

Other than that I just took the dogs for their rabies shots today.

Not very thoughtful of the parents if they are sending their kids both on the bus and to school @Terri9630. I had the same when I was nursery leader and a lot of the parents would send them in sick and of course I got it too as well as the other children. Come to think of it I had more illnesses looking after the children than at any other time but I know why. I am no longer nursery leader now and am really healthy with few illnesses such as colds and flu.

Cloudcroft?
I have the same problem at work...people bringing in their sick children. Some are shocked that they have to leave work and pick them up. A couple of them have been constipated terribly yesterday and today. Just guessing that their diet is garbage. Three year old Sebastian came in my office yesterday complaining his butt hurt. Gave him a pillow to sit on in class. He kept telling me to text his mom that his butt hurt. Another one today came in with pullups on. We don't do pullups or diapers. Turned out she was constipated and mom gave her lots of prune juice. We found that out later. Just finished a 2 week round of colds and mild fevers. Lysol is our friend.

Cloudcroft?
I have the same problem at work...people bringing in their sick children. Some are shocked that they have to leave work and pick them up. A couple of them have been constipated terribly yesterday and today. Just guessing that their diet is garbage. Three year old Sebastian came in my office yesterday complaining his butt hurt. Gave him a pillow to sit on in class. He kept telling me to text his mom that his butt hurt. Another one today came in with pullups on. We don't do pullups or diapers. Turned out she was constipated and mom gave her lots of prune juice. We found that out later. Just finished a 2 week round of colds and mild fevers. Lysol is our friend.
No. We looked at cloudcroft but didn't find anything we liked.

Weather apps for phones with tornado warnings are worth having if you live in tornado alley. They sound out even if you have your volume off. There are several to choose from.

We used to live 10 miles from town but could still hear the town tornado siren.

Never been in a tornado, but plenty of earthquakes growing up in California. The Northridge quake had us all sleeping downstairs for a week with all the aftershocks. I was pregnant at the time, and getting the kids rounded up and maneuvering the staircase was not fun for us.
Had my last late day at work today...tomorrow I go in early and leave mid afternoon and then vacation!!

Never been in a tornado, but plenty of earthquakes growing up in California. The Northridge quake had us all sleeping downstairs for a week with all the aftershocks. I was pregnant at the time, and getting the kids rounded up and maneuvering the staircase was not fun for us.
Had my last late day at work today...tomorrow I go in early and leave mid afternoon and then vacation!!

Enjoy your vacation. I'm headed up to the mountain next week. Hubby is going up Friday to meet the solar people to find a good spot to put the panels. I have to wait until Tues to get the kids results from the heart monitor.

Husband had to wear a heart monitor a while back. It didn't show too much when he wore it, but was experiencing rapid heartrate just on occasion. Now he has a smart phone app thing he uses that his doctor recommended. We are yet to get solar installed at the farm. Am meaning to have some panels up to at least keep marine batteries charged. My cousin does this on her washhouse roof, and they keep four batteries charged, then rotate them in the house when needed. Very low tech, but easy to use with an inverter for husbands medical equipment. It works well using his oxygen and c pap at night.

Checking in on @megh as I am worried about her and her DH. There are bushfires near to them and last time I heard they were getting ready to evacuate if need be and were packed and ready to go. They are also helping their neighbours too to evacuate if necessary in their car too.

Please keep @megh and family in your prayers everyone that they are safe and well.

Last edited:
@Bacpacker and Peanut thanks for clarifying your weather warning systems and how they work. In Australia we take any severe storm warning as truth and prepare accordingly. Better to be prepared than perish as our severe storm warnings can turn into tornadoes as well.

I keep a pretty close eye on the weather. Most of my crew a work are outside a good part of the time working on our equipment. It's standing policy to know what's expected each day. At home I keep an eye out as well. If storms are expected I have my radio near by. Local hams will start up a weather net and run it continuos until it passes by. ALWAYS pay attention to tornado watches and warnings. Watches mean pay greater attention. Warnings, be ready to shelter at a moments notice, or just go ahead and take cover right then.

Tonight, on the news reporters had finally been allowed into the damage zone in Lee County. The stories were heartbreaking. For some reason this storm has stirred up lots of old memories...

It reminded me of something that happened in ’74 when an F4 destroyed my childhood home. My home is almost at the top of a large hill… 300ft above the bottom land. Think of a motor cycle hitting a ramp to jump over cars…

My home was in a notch a few feet below the top of the hill. The tornado lifted a little over the old house but demolished the barns, tractor sheds and shops behind the house.

The old house was a duplex, my grandparents lived in one half. Me, mom and dad were at church on Wednesday night when the tornado hit. My grandparents were at home.

There was no warning system back then… My grandpa pushed grandma to the floor at the foot of their bed and pulled down a large Chifforobe down on them, saving their lives.

The funny part… happened around midnight. For several hours after the storm neighbors and family help us save and haul away everything useful that night with flashlights, things that might be damaged by more rain.

The roof was missing from the old house and some of the walls… the tornado scattered fiberglass insulation everywhere. It sucked out more than a few pieces of furniture.

When it was time to go, Grandpa was missing, everyone else was in the car. I found grandpa sitting in what was left of his old kitchen. No roof or ceiling, one wall missing, stars out overhead, moon shining bright… he was taking a sponge bath trying to wash off fiberglass insulation… (stings to high heaven)

I found the sight hysterically funny for some reason. I’ve forgotten hundreds of things from that night and the days that followed… but I can still remember grandpa taking a sponge bath under the star light in a demolished house. I still remember the pan that held the water. A steel pan painted white with a red stripe around the edge of the rim, the one he normally used to shave.

Odd… the things one remembers.

Something some folks may not know… Big tornadoes sometimes have sisters, a much smaller tornado dancing at the edge of the big tornado… The one that took out my home had twin sisters… two small tornadoes on opposite sides of the main funnel. Several neighbors saw them. The storm was 1.4 miles wide when it crossed our land.

Today we started off with DH removing the ground level wood that was sectioned into beds at the bottom of the grape vineyard and I raked all the grass up that he whipper snipped yesterday and put it in the compost bin. DH also set off the grey water tank sprinkler and moved it around part of the back lawn to water it since it is so dry. We are trying to create a bit of green grass around the home using the nitrogen rich grey water as we are on water restrictions here and because we don't want to pay for valuable town water to go on the lawns to water them. With 1.21 acres of land that would take a lot of town water usage.

Not a lot else done today being 35 oc but did dunk ourselves in the rain water tank pool to cool off a bit. Tonight we will wash up the dishes, clean the benches and put them away. Tonight's dinner will be a ham and vege omelette.

Latest posts

Back