What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Won't be online for awhile.
My mom passed away unexpectly this evening.
My mom was only 15 years older than me.
I found her tonight thankfully instead of my dad.
Today is my dad's 80th birthday.
Dad is 18 years older than me.
Mom had a massive heart attack.
At least she went quick.
My siblings have been called.
They will start arriving in the next few days.
Some as early as tomorrow.

At least she went quick.
Condolences on your Mom's passing. May the God of all comfort walk closely with you during this season of mourning

At least she went quick.
Oh, so sorry, @MoBookworm1957 . There are no words. Please know I'll be thinking of you. Sending love and prayers for you, your dad, your family.

At least she went quick.
:(

At least she went quick.

You are in my thoughts and prayers MO.

Working out the budget for tomorrows pension day.

Once I've brought the big ticket garden items I have a grand total of $44 left to buy groceries.
It's ok though. I have a lot of meat and frozen veggies in the freezer so it won't be a drama.
Maybe this shop I'll remember to buy bread and a washing basket.

The next pension will be more of the same with buying in two truck loads of garden blend compost,
and drip irrigation lines and the joiners. Better put teflon plumber's tape on the list as well.

I've got 3 spent hens I need to cull and process for soup this coming winter.
I should have done it before summer and I'm surprised they lived through the heat.
I better get it done before they fall over dead and they go to waste.

Started off the day with going into town for DH's doctors appointment, getting some bloodwork done on him for kidney function and also an CT scan for his back to give them up to date imaging of his injuries. They are going to swap him to a longer acting pain relief medication with less side effects and gradually wean him off the meds he is on and put him on a more up to date care plan. After we picked up his bulk script for pain medications for the month.

Then we went to the council to put in our forms for discounted pensioner house rates which saves us a bit on the rates and water but not a lot but it all helps. Got information that our rates will now be less expensive since we amalgamated the blocks and will only have one land and water rate and not 2 for the 2 separate blocks. Picked up then a fitting for our sprinkler hose for the grey water and then went to the cabinet shop to pick up our cabinet door we dropped in to see if we can get the matching rollers. They wanted to charge us a fortune but gave us the part and phone number of the company that produces them which will be a lot cheaper to order them directly. On to going to the hardware store where we picked up a curtain rod for the lounge room. Stopped in at friend's place to pick up 2 dozen eggs from their chickens that they regularly give us as their chickens produce too many for them to use.

Went to a council meeting this afternoon about our imput into what we wanted to see improved in our little town so hopefully they will take some of it on board and do some of them. From what we heard they did the same thing 4 years ago and did absolutely nothing so not expecting anything different this time. There is a council election coming up so this could be the reason. Had a good time meeting a few more of the locals too. Had dinner there as it was at the CWA hall.

Last edited:
I popped into the bigger town this morning and went to the restaurant supply store. They're having a seafood sale but I only bought more shrimp. I picked up some chicken breasts and some tenders ( just to change things up). They had pork roasts on sale for only $2 a pound(!!) I bought a nice 4lb one and they had these cute little 2lb ones so I bought two of those. They're the perfect size for 2 meals for us ( actually 4 meals counting lunches). Also bought another half sheet pan. They clean up so well its ridiculous lol
I have a load of dishes going in the dishwasher. After that I have to get a load of my laundry washed and dried. When we built this place 30 years ago we didn't have the money to buy larger water piping so you can only do one thing at a time here. No laundry and taking a shower at the same time, etc. And DO NOT flush the toilet when someones in the shower!!! lol
Bitter cold this morning. Hopefully it will warm up enough in the next few days to let me work on some of the big containers I have out in the yard so I can get them started so I can plant some cool weather veggies.
I drove past the hardware store I like to go to and they didn't have any of their soil amendments out on skids and I didn't see any racks of veggie plants out along the brick building walls. Might be just a week or two too early yet.

Isn't it amazing @Tank-Girl that no matter how well you plan you always forget something whilst shopping. We went shopping yesterday and although I did remember getting more thread tape we forgot to get another watering can even though we were in the hardware store and bought a curtain rod. Oh well we have 3 others but still I knew there was something else I needed in the hardware store but couldn't remember what it was having not written it on my list. 2 watering cans we use for grey water and 2 for fresh water.

I made a list a long time ago. It has all of the normal daily items on it and all of the seldom purchased items with space to write in things not listed.
We keep it on the fridge and place a mark when we use something. That way we never run out and we don't forget anything. I usually bring home chocolate and or flowers that are not on the list for my wife.
Sometimes she asks what I got for my girlfriend and I repeat the things I got for her. She's the only girlfriend - other than that fictitious "little red haired girl" down the street.

Had to pay water, sewer, trash bill today and it was $30 more than normal. After a quick panic, DH decided it is his fault as he washed many extra loads of eBay clothes (didn't mention it to me) and has been taking extra long showers because it makes him feel better. Hopefully, that is the problem and it will be under control shortly.

In the getting ready to go to FL category, I shaved DH's cheeks with the dog groomer razor. (Have used it for years on him). Wanted to give him a pedicure but didn't get to it today. Made a big pot of jambalaya for him and his friend while I'm gone (and froze some). I even have some of it for me with riced cauliflower instead of rice! Boy, that stuff is good!

Had to go to Pendleton Oregon to renew my CPL. One hour each way and about ten minutes with a cute little girl who took my picture. The 5 year permit was $50, about $2.50 for gas and a nice day for a drive despite all the snow on the sides of the roads.
I think we got the last of the snow with the 4 inches last night and this morning. Now it will warm up and clear up. I'm looking forward to the recoil therapy that is coming!

Clean up the house day today and DH vacuumed the whole house and I deep cleaned the bathrooms and toilets for the week. We then did 2 loads of washing, hung it on the clothes line and washed up the dishes, cleaned the benches and dried them and put them away.

This afternoon we went on a date afternoon together at the local RSL branch and had a good time talking to the local off duty police officer and the gentleman who volunteers there.Updated the police officer on the council neighbourhood meeting we had and what was discussed.

Spoke to a good friend this afternoon and he wants us to set up the watering system for his Camphor Laurel trees he has planted and will trade our labour for pork and lamb he produces on the property and some fire hose. Happy to help him as he runs the farm himself and has little time and he and his family have helped us so much in the past. His wife has just undergone cancer treatment and is remission and just got back to work so their finances are limited.

Tonight's dinner will be sausage and egg sandwiches.

Latest posts

Back