What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@The Lazy L I wonder what would happen if you started watching Marie Kondo when she's around. ????

I had to look up "Marie Kondo" to find out what she does. The only "organizing" the wife does is to figure out how to hoard MORE stuff in the same amount of space.

I'm shocked that she let two recliners leave the house in exchange for one coming in! Now that I think about, perhaps not shocked. The two we got rid of was given to us by my parents years ago.

Went for a walk today... Checked out the "Devils Walking Stick" growing at the end of the bull pen. Fed the chickens, they needed water also. It looks like I missed pruning my elderberry bushes this year, again. They needed it right around Christmas but I was far to busy taking care of dad... There is always next year.

Last edited:
Not her actual b-day but we celebrated our 2nd to the youngest daughter turning 12 today. Her last year on Earth before she becomes a (sigh) teenager. I made chicken fajitas with fresh pico & guacamole and the Mrs. made a red velvet cake with white chocolate roses on it. Our pre-teen has a couple friends over for a sleepover so it is a lot louder in the house than it usually is (even with the older kids all getting out as soon as they could). For her birthday she got a (dumb) cell phone, her very first one and one she earned though responsible behavior. She also got a bunch of patterns, thread, material, etc. to make several outfits, a bag, and other stuff with her Mom. Her older siblings did as their parents expect and gave her things like a lunch date coupon or attend one movie coupon (experiences).

Otherwise today was filled with normal Saturday man cave fun, household chores, and honey-do lists.

We got word this morning that our hous and shop remained safe and dry. We have a feeling the yard will be obliterated. Thanks for the prayers. Some of the damage is horrific. Neighbors still "stranded" with no power or phone so we didn't try to go up there today- maybe tomorrow. Figured heavy equipment would be moving around and don't want to impede their work. If at all interested, you can google floods in NE Oregon and SW Washington. Most bridges are gone and parts of roads completely washed away.
PS. It's kinda an odd feeling (gratitude doesn't begin to express it) that we are here and fine while others have lost so much or are dealing with life and death issues - floods or no floods.

We got word this morning that our hous and shop remained safe and dry. We have a feeling the yard will be obliterated. Thanks for the prayers. Some of the damage is horrific. Neighbors still "stranded" with no power or phone so we didn't try to go up there today- maybe tomorrow. Figured heavy equipment would be moving around and don't want to impede their work. If at all interested, you can google floods in NE Oregon and SW Washington. Most bridges are gone and parts of roads completely washed away.
PS. It's kinda an odd feeling (gratitude doesn't begin to express it) that we are here and fine while others have lost so much or are dealing with life and death issues - floods or no floods.

My goodness LadyL I did not know it was that bad overthere. So sorry and hope your yard doesn't get too much of it. :eyeballs: Take care nice lady, :huggs:

I hate to hear about all the damage LadyL. Other than your postings I hadn't heard anything about the damage. We had a lot of flooding around here, all the way up into Southeastern Kentucky. We lost some roads and homes, but the last I've heard no major infastructure damage.
My prayers are with all the folks fighting to recover from all the destruction from the storms.

I googled the floods... whoa! It's massive, is it snow melt and rain combined? Or just massive rains?

Glad you and yours are okay! :)
We got 12"-24" of heavy snow then heavy rains right on top of it. I believe it's the highest the rivers have been in recorded history. There were floods in '94 or '96 but the cfs were lower. It was difficult to measure because so much covered the valley floor.

We got 12"-24" of heavy snow then heavy rains right on top of it. I believe it's the highest the rivers have been in recorded history. There were floods in '94 or '96 but the cfs were lower. It was difficult to measure because so much covered the valley floor.

LadyL you be careful, son and hisfamily hadthis kind of flood a couple years ago in Texas.
Here is yesterdays news of the flood .

I spent a good part of today thoroughly ticking off a very fat puppy. :LOL:
I bought a larger bottle and she isn't happy about it at all. When I wasn't making puppies mad I was helping hubby build an entertainment center for the living room.

Stuck inside all day and it was so nice out. :cool:

Friday DH deep cleaned two kitchen widows and two set of venetian blinds and he did such a good job the blinds now look new again :) . While he did that I deep cleaned the bathroom and toilet for the week and got a load of washing on and then the rain started falling and we got 10mm of it so I put the clothing, towels and sheets in the dryer to dry.

We then went down the RSL club for our weekly date day and had a few soft drinks and spoke to a few locals. Back home where we had some of the cold chicken we had cooked earlier from our large roast chicken, some grated carrot and cheese and cucumbers we picked from our gardens.

Saturday was interesting to say the least where we got 104.4 mm of rain and the gutters overflowed and the back yard flooded sending water onto the back patio and almost into the back door of the rumpus room :eek: . DH got out there in the rain and dug a 130 metre trench from the front to the back of the property to the creek so the water could flow away and I swept the lapping water from the back patio and clothes line into the drainage pit DH had dug. Thankfully we stopped the rainwater coming in the back door into the rumpus room wetting the carpet in there.

Our property is very flat here and with so much water from the rain it built up quickly. The drainage pit worked well and it has given us a new must do job to put pipework and drainage drains in so if it ever happens again it will drain into the creek instead of laying. With the drainage pit now partially dug we will get onto that as soon as the ground isn't as sodden and we aren't as sore.

This morning we did similar and DH a rainwater dug drainage channel around the concrete pathway down the side of the house where the water was pooling and flooding as well. I took the soil in the wheelbarrow and dumped it as it filled up. It is 3/4's dug and we will finish the rest of it tomorrow. We rang to let people know we wouldn't be at church today due to the fact a lot of the flatter low lying areas of road between here and there would have most likely been underwater and we didn't want to risk it.

Both sitting down and relaxing now and both sore as can be so we are resting. Tonight's dinner was chicken schnitzels and chips cooked in our little convection oven. Shortly we will fold up 3 loads of washing and put it away.

@LadyLocust so glad your home and shop escaped damage but we feel for all your neighbours and local area. I hope your yard survived relatively unscathed so keep us up to date with the news when you go there.

I quite frankly don't want to see any more rain for a while after yesterday either but there is more lighter rain forecast over the coming days.

Been studying human anatomy today. Interesting but time consuming.

Went up to the mountain house today. Many many trucks hauling rock as well as heavy equipment in the road. 1 person still missing. Those who wanted to evacuate are now out. There is no road in spots - just a 15'-20' drop where it washed away. They are hoping to be able to work on restoring power tomorrow. The transformer was under water. We took 5-6 gallons of water for drinking but water had been delivered via 4 wheelers. The water actually carved a new route in some places - right through homes. We were fortunate. The water did make it into the shop but barely. We lit a fire in the shop wood stove to help it finish drying out. Only had what firewood was inside as the rest washed away. We lost about 10' of ground along the river. We are talking large boulders and riprap. We have a few foreign trees in our yard and earth was moved so will have to get up there with a chainsaw and tractor once the rest of the snow melts and ground hardens. Wasn't a lot else we could do at our place today so ended up helping another neighbor shovel 5-6" of mud out of their garage. They were also lucky in that it didn't make it into the house. Much more in the way of rock slides etc. but are thankful it's no worse than what it is.

Back to study on history. Its much harder now with some vision loss but it also takes mind off the depression it brings to instantly go from 20/20 to this. Will learn to live with it since there is no choice.
Did my walk but not all I planned this morning to do. I had some good laughs today with friend and daughteron phone.

Daughter had her first break in several months from her 4 granfkids since judge gave mother visitation to her kids on weekends. Can't wait to hear what she says about little 18 month old aka Tarzan and his 3 arguring sisters.:ghostly:

Took the dogs for their vaccines. and made an appointment for Winter to get a canine dental cleaning and extraction of a broken tooth. Poor old dog. But hopefully this makes her feel better. She goes next Sunday so hopefully it gets taken care of fast.

Made bread when I got home. Juju's first homemade bread tasting.

Today was nice. Church this morning, Sunday lunch at Village Inn with my daughter, then took her to the board game store in the mall. We got "Exploding Kittens", which is a type of card game. It is strangely hilarious.
Dropped her off at her Mom's at 5:30, came home, and fell asleep at 6:30. Got woke up by the phone at 8:45 and thought it was morning. :rolleyes: Ate and took meds, and now going back to bed. Nite, y'all!

Rested today but accomplished a few things. I got my new stove leveled. I’m starting to get used to it, breakfast today came out perfect. Cooking my first meal on it last week... everything came out on the crispy side, even the eggs. These eyes put out a lot more btu’s than my old stove even when using an eye rated the same. It’s also much more sensitive to slight adjustments which I really like. Unless it suddenly stops working I think I’m going to be happy with it. Now I can put my kitchen back in order, put a big dent in that today also.

I got a few small repairs around the house finished. I did some organizing in my herb room. I’m almost done cleaning and organizing all my old medicine bottles, most are ready for use and new labels. I still have to order new bottles of certain sizes and types but my list won’t be complete until all the old stuff is cleaned, organized and counted.

Ready for what tomorrow brings... LL glad your property survived with only minimal damage from the floods. It sounds like many didn't fare so well.

Glad you dodged a soggy mess SewC... My carpet got soaked twice... No fun at all!

I hope no one else here faces floods what with spring thaw coming soon... mine was last fall, now @Sewingcreations15 and @LadyLocust. I hope that's it for our little community. :)

Last edited:
Don't know when the guys are showing up to tear up three bathrooms and the kitchen, or what hours they'll be keeping. We'll see what today brings. I'm sure we'll see what the week brings. Wonder how long tile takes to set? Wonder what is living under the bathtub? This week should be interesting. Husband starts his working two days a week. So he is going in today.

Doing our income taxes.
I use TurboTax mainly because of the wife's "business".
2019 makes for an interesting return.
I was employed part of the year, retired, received social security and a pension plus took a little cushion money out of the 401K.
Worked out better then I expected. Fed owes me, I owe the State and the balance is a little in my favor. I'll wait until the Feds pay me before I pay the State.

Latest posts

Back