What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started off the morning with visiting the post office and dropping off a parcel to go back with our boots and some seeds I sold over the internet.

Then headed to do some firewood cutting and cut 3/4's of a trailer load and headed home where we unloaded the trailer and stacked the firewood. DH had a nap and I put on a load of washing for DH and when he woke up he hung it on the clothesline to dry. Followed up with putting on another load of washing and then hung it on the clothesline to dry when finished.

Just took out the wheelie bins to the curb to pick up tomorrow. Dinner is a help yourself.

Spent Friday packing up dining room. Saturday I canned tomatoes, cream peas and pinto beans. I mowed with tractor Saturday morning near new house site. Sunday Church and mowed some more. Question. One of my pressure canners would not build pressure last month. I ordered a new gauge and gasket. Works like a charm. Can't bring myself to throw others away and wonder if I should keep them. Easy enough to order more, but I struggle with tossing anything. Did go to dollar store after church to pick up a few extra supplies. No sign of limits. Stocked up a few weeks ago on canning lids after putting all my empty jars together and discovered I had 30 cases. Dread moving all this stuff but not complaining as I am blessed to have what I have. Electric company to come in morning to start running electric lines to site. Husband meeting with guy to line out septic. Well can start being drilled when we get electric. People need to check road to see if they can get in road with the double wide. Guy also needs to come to set up pouring piers. I will be at work. Husband supposed to have post op appointment with hernia surgeon tomorrow but have to cancel due to rush on getting things together. We got dog pen staked and chicken pen. House to be delivered mid July. New owners have furniture to be delivered end of July. Hope it all goes smoothly.
Sometimes with those rubber seals/gaskets if you wash it well then rub it with olive oil, they will be good as new- the rubber just needs conditioning. Not sure on yours, but if it appears in good shape. . .

Made 3 loaves of zucchini bread yesterday. Gave one to neighbors, froze one and we are working on the third!

Did my walk this morning and no pain in hip so far. Yay! Already started laundry.
Taking DH for Dentist appt. this afternoon and I will hit the salvage grocery while he is tended to.

We are having a hotter summer this year!

Last edited:
Started off the morning with visiting the post office and dropping off a parcel to go back with our boots and some seeds I sold over the internet.

Then headed to do some firewood cutting and cut 3/4's of a trailer load and headed home where we unloaded the trailer and stacked the firewood. DH had a nap and I put on a load of washing for DH and when he woke up he hung it on the clothesline to dry. Followed up with putting on another load of washing and then hung it on the clothesline to dry when finished.

Just took out the wheelie bins to the curb to pick up tomorrow. Dinner is a help yourself.

Please give me a better description of "wheelie bins"

Just get confused by the Aussie talk sometimes.
Curb pick up for help yourself dinner.

:dunno: :)

Jim

Please give me a better description of "wheelie bins"

Just get confused by the Aussie talk sometimes.
Curb pick up for help yourself dinner.

:dunno: :)

Jim

I'm thinking they're garbage cans Jim

My daughter did college study abroad in Tasmania. I got a message from her once, saying she had to run at the moment, to "go to uni".

???

I later found out that "uni" = "university" = "class".

Don't get me wrong, I love the Aussie lingo.

Barby, Mate, Donk,

Some I don't recognize.

Wheelie bins.

Jim

Isn't a Looney a Canadian coin ? lol I think theres one called a Tooney also

A loony is the one dollar coin gold, in color, and it features a loon on the back. The toony, you guessed it, is a two dollar coin. It has a gold center with silver colored edging. Who knows what picture it sports. It just came after the loony and replaced the two dollar bill.

The toony is best used for checking the depth of tire tread left on a school bus. Anything less than the silver edge, and the tire must be replaced.

My backordered book for Roo's schooling just shipped. I ordered a bunch of binders for book dissection from staples. They have free shipping right now with no minimums so I figured it would save me on gas.

I am doing a pantry inventory so I know what to add to the shopping list and the added preps list. I want to get a few more shelving units from Costco in the next month and hopefully Goodwill is open soon to take the junk I want to donate. Juju just outgrew all her shoes so I added them to the donate box. I bought a few cheap pairs from Walmart in the next size last week so we are good for now. Once I find the hand-me-downs we saved from Roo I'll put them in her shoe rack.

My parents are working hard to get their house remodel finished asap. They just have the flooring for now. The tiles in the downstairs are going to be replaced so my folks are using that excuse to send both their hunting dogs to me for refresher training for the male and puppy training for the female (8 months old). So I will have a house full of dogs very soon. I might have to pick up another crib mattress for them. (We use a crib mattress and crib sheets as a dog bed.). I can put the extra in our room once the extra dogs leave. I know our dogs like to lay on the floor sometimes.

Probably...
Just never heard them called that.

All that came toind was "Looney bins".

Jim
Terms you might like: Ute = a utility vehicle. Cars have boots and bonnets - ain't that sweet. You can sweet-talk the vette now 😇

I am now doing some work as a content producer for a police site and also contributing to a pro 2A group that definitely needs more up to date stuff on their social media. So I am definitely burning the candle at both ends right now. The former actually pays so that I can buy more guns/ammo, the latter is to help ensure that I can buy buy more guns/ammo. ;)

Temps in the 90s from now till next week but heat index will creep towards 100F. So gardening early and then indoors. Need to get ready for guests. Out of practice with covidia...

MIL/FIL (86 and ailing in every way) will be here Fri-Mon as DH is picking them up and bringing them to the "SPA" as they call our place. 4.5 hours roundtrip so I am staying here to get everything as perfect as possible for them. They are able to sit in our recliners and be waited upon (we even provide white bathrobes...) and forget all the terrible diseases/health they have for at least a few days. FIL has dementia now more than a little so MIL really needs this break. But sadly her asthma/damaged lungs (from many pneumonia episodes) will prevent more than a few minutes outside each day. Constant pain from a fall last Nov. that requried a month in hospital/re-hab for her and he fell 2x in 50 feet at their condo in May, bruising ribs (ouch!) and knees and just everything. He is on a walker/cane now so hopefully will be better than 2 weeks ago when we brought them up to help him heal.

Hoping to float on our pond with them at least one day. Just didn't want them at home, isolated, thinking of all the stuff they can't do due to covid and their general ill-health. I will pamper them with all their fav foods and drinks and Hallmark for her; cribbage with DH/FIL for them!

I have survived the grand daughter's third birthday party yesterday.
I also survived the selling of fireworks on the first day.
We are already running out of things.
I work the firework stand today too.
Got doctor's appointment to see surgeon tomorrow.
Then have screwy shifts on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the fireworks stand.
Yea Haw!
Working on crab quilt block today.
Just about done with it.
Then will move on to seahorse, monkey, fox etc.
Only have 10 or 15 more blocks to do.
Then will start putting them together.
Will be glad when they are done.
Everything is on hold for the new apartment for right now.
Neighbors here have been fairly quite in the last few days.

Did a short walk and then a short video this morning.

There is actually nothing on my list today besides month ending books which are now done.
It may be mango day. Mango jalapeno jam and canned mangoes, maybe.

Sprayed squash leaves yesterday for powdery mildew and then it rained, of course, even though there was almost no chance of it 2 hours before. Leaves look better today!

Made 3 loaves of zucchini bread yesterday. Gave one to neighbors, froze one and we are working on the third!

Did my walk this morning and no pain in hip so far. Yay! Already started laundry.
Taking DH for Dentist appt. this afternoon and I will hit the salvage grocery while he is tended to.

We are having a hotter summer this year!

I think manyare having a hotter summer,daughter and I were talking about that his morning.

I am disappointed~ went to take recycling in. They no longer take plastic, don't take glass of any color in this town, so essentially only take veggie cans (we have very few) and cardboard/newspaper. I brought it to work and put it in the garbage. It's messed up.

Hubby hung up 5 of my most used tools on our front porch,no more going in and out of shed for tools I use the most, rake, shovel,leaf rake, pitch fork,childs rake which is great for many different projects leaf rake is too big for. Bought it for granfkids 20 yr ago and its still good condition.
ll well with the family circus so far today. Had a weeding shower Sarurday with 30 guest went very good. Grandaughters future MIL doesn't like my grandaughters high flauluting attitude 'surprised she even came ' but she did speak and say goodbye so went well.

Last edited:
I am disappointed~ went to take recycling in. They no longer take plastic, don't take glass of any color in this town, so essentially only take veggie cans (we have very few) and cardboard/newspaper. I brought it to work and put it in the garbage. It's messed up.

It is sad ,our oceans are full of plastics and other trash rivers and streams and lakes not doing great either.

Unscrewed the handle from one of the wife's brooms. Screwed the broom onto my 30' extendable handle. Reach up on the second floor roof valleys and pulled down the tree helicopter seeds off the steel roof. Put her broom back together. Swept sidewalk and driveway concrete pad.

Pick up branches from the yards from the last storm.

Made me lunch. Two peanut and jelly sandwiches washed down with well water.

VA just called my followup appointment for Primary Care will be in Dec on the telephone.
My VA is preparing for another round of COVID 19.
Whoppee!

VA is in process of slowly stopping treatment of veterans ,
They are slowly moving all Vets to outside healthcare. Did you hear Trump say , in his interview , that it's cheaper.
That's fine with me....I know I'm getting closer attention .

I even can have my labs done outside now.
Outside billing for blood draw was $127,. VA paid $11 , with nothing due from me. My 3 days in hospital last month was $27,000, VA paid $5,000. VA has contracts with hospitals and doctors.like insurance.
All is handled by Optum.

They need to let us go outside for vision care.

oh ,btw, late yesterday , picked about 3 pints of green beans...pick again Thursday, then do the canning.

Got an inch of rain so far today , more coming.

M u g g y ...

Jim

Latest posts

Back