What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Spikedriver Thought you were finished in WI??? Bet it's good to be home.
@snappy1 Forgot to mention yesterday, we've had good luck with Lem products.
@phideaux Be careful, wife might see some detail that will lead to a new family room 😂
@Amish Heart By next spring you'll have your yard whipped into shape. It all takes time.

Sorry, I've been a little distracted the last few days. Talked to Pa this morning. Reasonably good news. They have identified the bacteria causing the infection / vegetation on his heart valve. It is typically found in drug users so they are baffled and still don't know the source. (He is an old rancher - he doesn't even like aspirin let alone drugs.) They are pretty confident that it can be treated with a specific very strong antibiotics as opposed to an operation or a myriad of other scary options. When I spoke with him this morning, he sounded sooo much better, more optimistic, relieved, and stronger. They will have to keep him for 3-4 days which he wasn't thrilled about but isn't arguing because he knows he needs to. He was concerned because we can't visit and he doesn't have any clothes. I assured him we would bring him clothes before he needed them 😂 Still don't know the results of the CV test - I'm sure we'll learn more as the day progresses. Thank you again for all the prayers - ever grateful!

LEM seems mostly for meat processing. I need to find a work horse food processor for slicing and shredding veggies. I haven't even looked yet. Going to wait awhile, but thanks for the idea. I have a cheap electric grinder that I use for chicken breasts and that works great. Figures...

I'm so glad that the docs figured out what is going on with your dad!

Its partly cloudy and no rain and we just heard the LOUDEST thunder burst in my life! I've heard soem bad ones even witnessed a veryunusual round 10 feet off ground ball of white lightening.

But never heard it was liek a huge bomb went off.
Maybe the blast wave from Beirut finally made it to your house...:dunno:

@LadyLocust I've still got at least a month to go in Wisconsin, probably even a bit more, before I go to Topeka. Topeka is the last job on the schedule for the year, and ends on Nov. 21st. Considering the economic uncertainty, and the fact that the Corona is throttling demand for rail shipments, I expect to be laid off at that time. When I'll be able to get back, is anybody's guess.

All this mystery id frustrating. So we just hope for the best and plan for the worse.
Also Spike I think its about time for a long vacation from the road for awhile.

All this mystery id frustrating. So we just hope for the best and plan for the worse.
Also Spike I think its about time for a long vacation from the road for awhile.
I'm in complete agreement, and if I'm right about the layoff I will get that long vacation. But I won't be getting paid, which is a condition I don't tolerate very well...

Just came in the house , had a blony and mater sammich.

Went for my eye problem to VA, she is ordering me another pair of glasses with a prism.
I see double and multiples.

Hope that helps.

Got home, finished the bush hoging. Till October.

I'm tired.

Jim
Jim, I've had the prism for years. It makes your glasses thick like coke bottles near the outside edge, and they'll look kinda dorky, but you'll see right...

Jim, I've had the prism for years. It makes your glasses thick like coke bottles near the outside edge, and they'll look kinda dorky, but you'll see right...

I just got tested again today I one eye is not seeing on the same level plane as the other. Causing double , triple vision.

This is suppose to level them out .

Well see in about 2 weeks.

Jim

Last edited:
Please tell about the brand. Who designed it? I know my grandfather and uncles had brands and branding irons. South Dakota brands changed around 1940, and they had to get new branding irons. There is a book of S.D. brands and I found their brands in it.

The kid picked it. New Mexico is a branding state. Its required to have a permanent id on livestock.

The guy came from 4 miles away , spent 20 minutes , putting Murphy's soap around tire to seal, pumped it up , half way removed the Murphy's soap , took another 10 minutes to add 30 gallons of fluid.
He's gone in 30 minutes.

I should have a guessing contest on what it cost.

I'll just tell ya wife almost sh!t. 30 minutes and he's gone she says.

$201.40

Uuuuggghhh. Stay away from trees

Ok back to mowing.

Jim

Hate it when that happens! I can tell you don’t live in this state. That’s probably a $400 fix here :rolleyes:

Walked first. Now going to return that processor, then make candied jalapenos and zucchini chips. Didn't sleep well last night so trying to have a lighter day.

Never heard of candied Jalapenos but I’m going to look into them. My hunny would probably like them.

Just came in the house , had a blony and mater sammich.

Went for my eye problem to VA, she is ordering me another pair of glasses with a prism.
I see double and multiples.

Hope that helps.

Got home, finished the bush hoging. Till October.

I'm tired.

Jim

I’ve never heard anyone have Baloney and Tomatoes together.
Glad your gettin them eyes squared away.
What kind of brush hog do you got? I’m eyeballing a new flail $$$ Guess it will depend on if we get a working tractor back. Haha

Working on hubby’s anniversary present every chance I get. Feeling the pressure. Our anniversary is coming quick.
Dealer started working on our tractor Tuesday. This whole thing is a totally different feel. Sure hoping that continues and it comes home without a bunch of parts falling off or damage this time. Tractor work is definitely piling up quickly.
Starting to look for haying equipment now. Very sad to see so many farmers and ranchers getting out. Starting to see a lot of equipment at auctions. Hoping to slowly get enough smaller hay equipment to do my own haying of our hay fields. Would be a huge load off to be able to cut the hay guy out. He’s a nightmare every year and costly even though it’s still cheaper than buying hay.
We finally finished up fixing up my “new” fancy truck. Still need to get tires and wheels before camp. Tried out the wench and it definitely needs some TLC so thats probably on the pre camp list also. Just in case. I have it so why not have the ability to use it if I need it.
Getting so much closer to being ready for hunting season. Still have a few things to fix on the trailer and find new winter clothes. Draw back to loosing a bunch of weight is shopping for clothes. I hate shopping for clothes. Makes me very grumpy.

Hate it when that happens! I can tell you don’t live in this state. That’s probably a $400 fix here :rolleyes:

Never heard of candied Jalapenos but I’m going to look into them. My hunny would probably like them.

I’ve never heard anyone have Baloney and Tomatoes together.
Glad your gettin them eyes squared away.
What kind of brush hog do you got? I’m eyeballing a new flail $$$ Guess it will depend on if we get a working tractor back. Haha

It's an old Sidewinder , rotary type, best to crap, 30 years old but keeps cutting.
Have to add a quart of gear oil to the gearbox every year. Too much trouble to replace the seal. I would if I was younger.
I've never owned a flail mower ,but I been told they make a pretty cut, but you can't let stuff get too big, they just can't handle it. But that was years ago, maybe they improved now.
This is the first year ever, that I had to mow in mid summer. Rain , rain ,rain , grass and weeds were only about 3 ft , but so thick , I had to go a little slower
First time I've ever seen the bush hog ball up so bad. Wads of grass came out from under it as big as a Volkswagen.
But, it's done till October.

I'm hoping to go look at a new pistol today

Mayby have lunch.

Might spray some roundup around all the base of them trees in the pastures, so I'll quit trying to mow so close. Cost me $200 for that closeness this week.

Coffee is extra good this morning.

Hope everybody. Has a great day.

Jim

Will be taking the kids to band camp soon. Need to set up another brooder for some more chicks arriving probably tomorrow, and just hoping they don't call at 2 am again to tell me that they're here. I'll be making dinner tonight and bringing it to my cousin's house. Her husband hardly gets around at all, so we go there more than she can come to us. Still working on the basement unpacking and arranging today. Yesterday was gardening day, so back to the boxes.

It's an old Sidewinder , rotary type, best to crap, 30 years old but keeps cutting.
Have to add a quart of gear oil to the gearbox every year. Too much trouble to replace the seal. I would if I was younger.
I've never owned a flail mower ,but I been told they make a pretty cut, but you can't let stuff get too big, they just can't handle it. But that was years ago, maybe they improved now.
This is the first year ever, that I had to mow in mid summer. Rain , rain ,rain , grass and weeds were only about 3 ft , but so thick , I had to go a little slower
First time I've ever seen the bush hog ball up so bad. Wads of grass came out from under it as big as a Volkswagen.

Mayby have lunch.

Might spray some roundup around all the base of them trees in the pastures, so I'll quit trying to mow so close. Cost me $200 for that closeness this week.

Jim
Nice!
We have a smaller old rotary and a smaller flail. Way to small for the big tractor. The flail definitely does a much nicer job but it definitely doesn’t like thicker stuff or bigger diameter stuff at any sort of speed. A lot depends on the teeth we put on it too. That’s another draw back. Teeth vs sharpenable blades. We tend to use the rotary when the grass is more out of control and the flail for upkeep. We’ve been debating for months on which one to upgrade to for the big tractor. I say both. I suspect we’ll get the flail first though.
I know exactly what your talking about with the wads of grass. That’s a pain! Part of the problem we have with to small of a rotary for the big tractor. Sheer some pins off with to much power and not enough mower.
Glad your done mowing till October. I’ve been done here for about a month. We don’t get rain so no grass 😂
What pistol???
Spraying around the trees is definitely worth it.
Have a good day! Ours is almost over and headed to bed soon. Lovin the night shift.

Will be taking the kids to band camp soon. Need to set up another brooder for some more chicks arriving probably tomorrow, and just hoping they don't call at 2 am again to tell me that they're here. I'll be making dinner tonight and bringing it to my cousin's house. Her husband hardly gets around at all, so we go there more than she can come to us. Still working on the basement unpacking and arranging today. Yesterday was gardening day, so back to the boxes.

@Amish Heart , I'll be glad when you're done settling in. Your tiring me out just watching you work.
But , of course , I guess you never finish settling in.
I know we don't, but it's what makes life interesting.
Sounds like everything is going pretty smooth though.

Jim

Nice!
We have a smaller old rotary and a smaller flail. Way to small for the big tractor. The flail definitely does a much nicer job but it definitely doesn’t like thicker stuff or bigger diameter stuff at any sort of speed. A lot depends on the teeth we put on it too. That’s another draw back. Teeth vs sharpenable blades. We tend to use the rotary when the grass is more out of control and the flail for upkeep. We’ve been debating for months on which one to upgrade to for the big tractor. I say both. I suspect we’ll get the flail first though.
I know exactly what your talking about with the wads of grass. That’s a pain! Part of the problem we have with to small of a rotary for the big tractor. Sheer some pins off with to much power and not enough mower.
Glad your done mowing till October. I’ve been done here for about a month. We don’t get rain so no grass 😂
What pistol???
Spraying around the trees is definitely worth it.
Have a good day! Ours is almost over and headed to bed soon. Lovin the night shift.

Ha, I only sheared one pin this time.
I don't usually do upkeep mowing, usually in early may and mid October. That's it. (Except this year).

I'm gonna be moving from 9mm CC to 40 cal,
Just because....:dunno:

Decided on the S&W M&P Shield , .995 thick, and 19 oz, 3.1 barrel.
Every body says it's a great shooter and easy CC.ive fondled one only. Felt good , fit good.

Jim

Well , looks like we are making a trip to ER.
Wife's back has been really hurting for a long time.
She had 3 fractured vertebrae fixed last year, and she can't even walk today.
I told her she was doing too much.

She is in lots of pain.

So I gotta get her dressed and me too , if I can remember, head to ER.
It's 35 miles.

See y'all later

Jim

Mayby have lunch.

Jim

Too late I read the news!:barf::huh::comp bullet.

But I'll try to have a better one,will that work?

She is in lots of pain.

It's 35 miles.

See y'all later

Jim

Bless her good heart! Hope she gets soem relief soon. Already pray for us all .

Jim, backs that hurt are no fun. That's husband's problem. Doc looked at his MRI yesterday and called, and he needs surgery to remove a big ol cyst, just pinching his nerves worse and worse. Hope your wife finds out what's wrong, and gets some relief from the pain.
And yes, I'm working like a maniac, and really felt it in my knees this morning. But, Oh, am I so happy to be here. There's nothing like the friendliness of the area, and being able to move about.
Just saw on my neighborhood link from New Mexico that there were some guys bugging the neighbor behind where we used to be. And people with Trump signs out are getting nasty, nasty letters in their mailboxes calling them traitors to the US. Glad we're gone. Missing our 2 kids that are there, but one will be out next week for a visit.

She is in lots of pain.

It's 35 miles.

See y'all later

Jim
I hope she can get some relief. If she has been on her feet doing all that canning, that can aggravate it. I have to pace myself. I cannot go outside and work in the yard all day. I can go out and do half an hour here, half an hour there. Sometimes I have too take some days off. Getting old is not for wimps!

Walked this morning and stopped at local grocery for baby carrots for dogs, so a few extra steps there.

Already have tomatoes, okra and onions simmering and dishwasher of jars going.
Going to do outside walk with dogs today and maybe take some clips off of tomato bushes so I can take them out in a couple of days.
And cut okra, pick figs.

Jim, backs that hurt are no fun. That's husband's problem. Doc looked at his MRI yesterday and called, and he needs surgery to remove a big ol cyst, just pinching his nerves worse and worse. Hope your wife finds out what's wrong, and gets some relief from the pain.
And yes, I'm working like a maniac, and really felt it in my knees this morning. But, Oh, am I so happy to be here. There's nothing like the friendliness of the area, and being able to move about.
Just saw on my neighborhood link from New Mexico that there were some guys bugging the neighbor behind where we used to be. And people with Trump signs out are getting nasty, nasty letters in their mailboxes calling them traitors to the US. Glad we're gone. Missing our 2 kids that are there, but one will be out next week for a visit.
I have thought about how much better it is for you to live in rural Kansas than crazy N.M.

I am seeing very few political signs this year. I think it has become so crazy that people are not putting up signs for their own safety. My neighbors have always had political signs in their yard. None this year. I also see that Biden will not go to the convention this year. It makes me think he is so incompetent relative to dementia, that he wouldn't show well, not that he ever would, but I think there is a concerted effort to keep his failing mind out of people's view. Dems are promoting another loser.

Latest posts

Back