What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, how is she doing? You need anything? Anything at all?
I just knew something was not right when she got home from surgery.

She is resting now.
Pain is controlled.
BP is coming down , now 161/83.
Blood vultures done.
Antibiotics going.
Fluids going.
Waiting on urologist to see if he can blast that kidney stone to smithereens.

Thanks Mark. We're good.
Just sitting and waiting.

Kids can't come in .
So we got backup if needed.

Jim

Little stinker abandoned us 😉. I hope he’s having a great time with his family and enjoying some down time.

Got back from vacation last week. Was awesome getting some down time, but I was definitely ready to get back into the swing of things when it was over.

Our house is in complete chaos right now, and I am not talking about home schooling. Our oldest son moved out completely (and unexpectedly), so now his room is being remodeled (paint & carpet) for our youngest daughter, who's room is going to be remodeled for our youngest son, so his room can be remodeled into my wife's dedicated craft room, so she can get her stuff out of the storage room and home school space. Of course this also means buying a few pieces of furniture, a ceiling fan, a light fixture, window coverings, etc. And the Mrs. wants all this done before the end of the month. 😶

Oh well, it's not like I have anything else going on. ;)

I taught Montessori preschool (3 to 6 year olds) for 7 years. Three year olds did lots of activities to build up hand strength, left to right, eye - hand coordination, vocabulary, simple nomenclatures (parts of animals and plants), letter sounds, 1 to 9, teens, tens, decimal system (1s, 10's, 100's, 1000's). It is a fun age. They are like sponges and can be so trainable.

I have a Montessori preschool curriculum I got when Roo was 3. I am using that with Juju since I can send her to the preschool Roo went to but they would expect her to wear a mask the whole day. She won't. She hates them but wears them for short trips or outings.

That is a damn shame that any of you are on a list. Meatime illeglas and others are moving into these low rentals all the time. But can change it .
Meerkat,
These new apartments are only 4 years old.
And there are only 24 apartments.
The owners have bought more more land to build more of these apartments, but haven't broke ground yet.
The waiting list is how the owners screen the applications for the apartments.
These are worth the wait.
These have most modern appliances that most people take for granted.
That I haven't had in 15 years.
As for being on a list, I've been on the government's list ever since I joined the Military.
Most likely you're on somebodies list whether you realize it or not.

Meerkat,
These new apartments are only 4 years old.
And there are only 24 apartments.
The owners have bought more more land to build more of these apartments, but haven't broke ground yet.
The waiting list is how the owners screen the applications for the apartments.
These are worth the wait.
These have most modern appliances that most people take for granted.
That I haven't had in 15 years.
As for being on a list, I've been on the government's list ever since I joined the Military.
Most likely you're on somebodies list whether you realize it or not.

Sounds like these apt.s will be a great place to live, good for you.
I thougt you were on a list for low income or retired seniors. I know most of those now are run and ruled by liberala. And the one my sister in Georgia got in line for is full of non Americans. She pays $930 mo, works on her feet 40 to 50 hours a wk. although disabled but she likes her job ,said it keeps her going. But it is what it is.
American like the rest of the world is going through change.

Sounds like these apt.s will be a great place to live, good for you.
I thougt you were on a list for low income or retired seniors. I know most of those now are run and ruled by liberala. And the one my sister in Georgia got in line for is full of non Americans. She pays $930 mo, works on her feet 40 to 50 hours a wk. although disabled but she likes her job ,said it keeps her going. But it is what it is.
American like the rest of the world is going through change.
These are low income 55 plus disabled apartments for seniors.
These rent for $538 monthly, but I can't afford that on my SSD check.
So I moved into Public Housing to be able to get Section 8 for those apartments.
And live in crappy neighborhood, with crazy ate up with the dumb ass neighbors.
That $538 is more than half of my SSDI check.
I pay approx $265 for a 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment now.
Some months that a stretch even for me.
I will be one of the youngest in the new apartments at the age of 62.
My rent will be approx $ 175 for 2 bedroom, 1 large bath, 4-5 closets,modern kitchen with modern appliances,dining area,8' x 10 ' walled patio, covered front porch, and a 1 car garage.
But I will finally hopefully have my security deposit this next payday.
And that's over a grand in security deposit.
Most people are between the ages of 65- 95 in the new apartments.
Sometimes you have to swallow a bitter pill to get the sweet prize.
These owners are not liberals.
These owners are veterans.

@MoBookworm1957 , are none of your health problems service connected.
Could they be?

Just thinking VA comp.

Jim
Several things are service connected.
Hearing loss, re attached fingers digits, jaw, both knees were injured during my military service, PSTD, depression, head injury. And the list could go on.....
But have been denied VA comp twice.
But now have people, organizations helping me fight the VA for VA pension.
Lawyer out of Jefferson City(Veteran), VFW, American Legion just to name a few that are helping out.
Filling out another round of paperwork this week.
That paperwork is about 8 inches thick this time.
But at least it's smaller than the last bundle of paperwork.

She is resting now.
Pain is controlled.
Blood vultures done.
Antibiotics going.
Fluids going.

Thanks Mark. We're good.

Kids can't come in .

Jim

Good news they found the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@MoBookworm1957 , I can't understand , if you were injured while in service, you should not be denied.

I can tell you for sure 100% , that it depends on who is doing your evaluation.

Maybe this time you'll get the right one.

I got denied the first time in 1968, went right back and got thru.
Been re evaluated 3 times since with an increase every time.
I'm now 90 % disabled .
Will be looking for another evaluation for 100% soon.
DO NOT give up.

Jim

@MoBookworm1957 , I can't understand , if you were injured while in service, you should not be denied.

I can tell you for sure 100% , that it depends on who is doing your evaluation.

Maybe this time you'll get the right one.

I got denied the first time in 1968, went right back and got thru.
Been re evaluated 3 times since with an increase every time.
I'm now 90 % disabled .
Will be looking for another evaluation for 100% soon.
DO NOT give up.

Jim
I won't give up too damn stubborn for that.
Besides my State slogan is "Show Me".
Last time I was denied is because the paperwork wasn't quite right.
My last evaluation was done by a gentleman who was waiting to retire the next month.
I have been fighting for VA pension for 5 years now.
It's hard not to lose Hope.
But I keep hanging in there.
I know Veterans who fought for their VA pension only to have it awarded to them on the day of their funeral.
Which was a slap in the face for the family.

Last edited:
Reassembling/rebuilding my glider reading chair. It is possible I may have fallen asleep in it, and when I woke up it was a recliner, and not by design :(. Dowels, glue and woodscrews later, it looks like it's supposed to. I'll have to test it later:lil guy:

These are low income 55 plus disabled apartments for seniors.
These rent for $538 monthly, but I can't afford that on my SSD check.
So I moved into Public Housing to be able to get Section 8 for those apartments.
And live in crappy neighborhood, with crazy ate up with the dumb ass neighbors.
That $538 is more than half of my SSDI check.
I pay approx $265 for a 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment now.
Some months that a stretch even for me.
I will be one of the youngest in the new apartments at the age of 62.
My rent will be approx $ 175 for 2 bedroom, 1 large bath, 4-5 closets,modern kitchen with modern appliances,dining area,8' x 10 ' walled patio, covered front porch, and a 1 car garage.
But I will finally hopefully have my security deposit this next payday.
And that's over a grand in security deposit.
Most people are between the ages of 65- 95 in the new apartments.
Sometimes you have to swallow a bitter pill to get the sweet prize.
These owners are not liberals.
These owners are veterans.

Sounds great. Glad the owners aare vets, not in or near Atlant Ga. ,it has been totally taken over by libs and their defenders. its not better maybe worse than Chicago or Portland. S. American Mafia gangs rule pretty much most of the state now. A few small encaves still exist .

She is resting now.
Pain is controlled.
Blood vultures done.
Antibiotics going.
Fluids going.

Thanks Mark. We're good.

Kids can't come in .

Jim

Thank Goodness things are looking up, now hope you too can get some rest.This is when a van or camper ould come in handy,:).When my brother was in hospital we stayed in parking lot in our bus ,I miss it so much :cry:,now it would be in my van but we havw laways had our own plaace to stay in travel.This day and time time I think everyone should have a little home away from home on wheels.:thumbs:.

Walked this morning. Very tired. 4.5 hours sleep two nights in a row. Hopefully will do better tonight!

Hard boiled some eggs, made rice for the dogs and will clean the bathrooms next.

Dug up some sweet potatoes and a few potatoes this morning and have them curing. Had to get that done since it is supposed to rain the rest of the week

@phideaux , I'm so glad you got your wife back to ER! I hope that her surgery won't interfere with lithitripsy! That is certainly the fastest way to get rid of them!

I won't give up too damn stubborn for that.
Besides my State slogan is "Show Me".
Last time I was denied is because the paperwork wasn't quite right.
My last evaluation was done by a gentleman who was waiting to retire the next month.
I have been fighting for VA pension for 5 years now.
It's hard not to lose Hope.
But I keep hanging in there.
I know Veterans who fought for their VA pension only to have it awarded to them on the day of their funeral.
Which was a slap in the face for the family.
Just sent off three sets of paperwork in 3 different envelopes again.
Answered the same questions asked in three different ways again.
With the same reply times 3.

Wow I've been so busy with my little one and also have been having steady migraines for a few weeks now. So many new things happening with the baby and just recently we are experiencing pain from teething. Poor baby. Today she is finally taking some nice long (and much needed) naps. I'm getting caught up on everything as my migraines have stopped for now. It looks like a tornado hit the inside of my apartment. So I am quietly cleaning up as my little girl naps!

There are good treatments for migraines now! I started having migraines at 10. When I had suffered through migraines for 42 years they introduced Imitrex. What a godsend! It had to be injected so I learned quickly how to do that. It is now available in tablet and nasal spray.
My last migraine was in 2002. I haven't had one since. I don't miss them!

Scary! I am glad you are okay. Hope the pony gets a new home, or shelter soon, but there are always so many needs after a large storm like this. Fallen trees always means the potential of future fire wood, if it was the right kind of trees.
They were able to rig up and old corn crib for a temporary shelter. The trees are mostly soft maple, not much good for firewood, unless it's a bonfire...

Wow I've been so busy with my little one and also have been having steady migraines for a few weeks now. So many new things happening with the baby and just recently we are experiencing pain from teething. Poor baby. Today she is finally taking some nice long (and much needed) naps. I'm getting caught up on everything as my migraines have stopped for now. It looks like a tornado hit the inside of my apartment. So I am quietly cleaning up as my little girl naps!

Glad you and the baby are doing better today. :thumbs:

Wife got home last night. I called our medical group at work to discuss it and was promptly quarantined until the 24th. I have to go get tested on the 20th and get results 21st.
THis couldn't have came at a worse time. I've got 2 major project coming together, biggest one scheduled to have a vendor on site on the 31st to hook up and do testing. My guys are scheduled to install the antennas this weekend. But then we've got to run about 1500' of coax in the ceilings on 2 floors in areas that have lead contamination. So I'm supposed to be getting all the safety requirments together for the work. This stuff may end up getting pushed back at least a week.

Picked up daughter from airport, and she'll be staying a few days, good to see her. Finished doing 15 qts of sweet corn for the freezer with cousins this morning. Daughter and granddaughter just took a walk through the old milk house and in one section there is a closet that is open to the rafters. They opened it and was surprised to find a baby turkey vulture hissing at them. Caught in on video. Granddaughter thought it was a really big white silkie chicken. So that's why turkey vulture has been living here...on the silos, on the big barn.

My daughter sent me a pic of her tall pony, her mom's old mare, and herself in the makeshift shelter they made after the storm. I'm proud of her for working hard to make the corn crib alley into a horse-safe place. It will never hold up to winter weather though, and the old mare can't handle the elements very well any more. She doesn't keep weight in the cold. So figuring out a permanent building will be a big job. And probably expensive too. Glad I'm not paying for those horses any more...
Screenshot_20200811-205110.png

She is resting now.
Pain is controlled.
Blood vultures done.
Antibiotics going.
Fluids going.

Thanks Mark. We're good.

Kids can't come in .

Jim

Holler if you need anything.

There are good treatments for migraines now! I started having migraines at 10. When I had suffered through migraines for 42 years they introduced Imitrex. What a godsend! It had to be injected so I learned quickly how to do that. It is now available in tablet and nasal spray.
My last migraine was in 2002. I haven't had one since. I don't miss them!

Imatrex doesn't work for the kids migraines. She takes a preventative 3 times a day and has to stay laying down in a dark room with a heating pad and an ice pack when they hit.

Latest posts

Back