What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is starting out good, got to HD got almost everything on my list.... I noticed that although the temperature is in the low 30s it doesn't feel "COLD", I wonder if not working in a heated office building and spending breaks outdoors is helping to adjust to the change in weather.

After spraying down the pepper plant last night, nothing seems to be moving today. The temperature is expected to reach 50 this afternoon with full sun. I may take the plant out at lunch and HOSE it down to get everything off it. The wife says that I may shock and kill the plant, but what the heck... I don't want to lose 50 plants because of one.....

As I drove home from HD in the dark I saw a DeLorean and it made me think of Back to the Future, I can just see Marty saying,"Doc, when ever you go stay the heck away from 2020!"

Saw the post from @viking it sounds like stories of the NAZIs, turn neighbor against neighbor, pay the kids a reward for snitching on mom and dad. Yes that will bring communities together....
There was a car dealer in North Dakota who once had a DeLorean in his showroom. The ex and I went to see it and we were allowed to get in, sit in it, close and open the doors. It was fun. This was the largest car dealer in town. Later, I heard that he was the source of drugs in town as well. He got drugs shipped in when he got cars shipped in from other places.

Exhausted so will have to come back and catch up on messages later. Got woken up by robo calls early this morning & couldn't get back to sleep. Ended up going to the grocery store without my brother (so it went faster and cost less). Got a bunch of stuff from Mom's list but there's still a bunch of stuff not in stock.

Grabbed some rotisserie chicken to take over to my friend's house & dropped it off. Grabbed a thigh from it. He had a chicken leg, and his gf and daughter had other parts of the chicken. Couldn't stay long bc we had to get him to his eye doctor appointment (again) but I wanted him to have some food in his stomach before so he wouldn't be feeling sick from hunger during the appointment. Took 2 hours again. He didn't get out until after 5:30pm. Next appointment is tomorrow morning at 8am. Hour long drive & I have to get up at 6 something to get into town to pick him up.

My missing kitty turned up & is fine so I'm relieved. Just made dinner & am ready to rack out.

Went to the grocery store for the Thanksgiving produce. I also stocked up on soup making ingredients. Cans of tomatoes, egg noodles and better than bullion to name a few. I also got some more flour to put in the freezer. I am using it fast making bread every week.

K helped me finish putting the doors on the evac totes. I got them packed up and in the closet. They are great! Now I won't have to scramble for the pets stuff if we need to evac again. Putting the cat door in the end of the tote will help with normalcy for the cats. They know there is always a litter box behind a cat door and when we get to a safe place after an evac this will be true.

I also ran out for baling wire so K can hang giant ornaments from our tree in the front yard. I went to the local Ace and almost cleaned them out of seeds! I haven't seen seeds for sale in over a year!

Exhausted so will have to come back and catch up on messages later. Got woken up by robo calls early this morning & couldn't get back to sleep. Ended up going to the grocery store without my brother (so it went faster and cost less). Got a bunch of stuff from Mom's list but there's still a bunch of stuff not in stock.

Grabbed some rotisserie chicken to take over to my friend's house & dropped it off. Grabbed a thigh from it. He had a chicken leg, and his gf and daughter had other parts of the chicken. Couldn't stay long bc we had to get him to his eye doctor appointment (again) but I wanted him to have some food in his stomach before so he wouldn't be feeling sick from hunger during the appointment. Took 2 hours again. He didn't get out until after 5:30pm. Next appointment is tomorrow morning at 8am. Hour long drive & I have to get up at 6 something to get into town to pick him up.

My missing kitty turned up & is fine so I'm relieved. Just made dinner & am ready to rack out.

I am glad your cat came home. I know when I was younger I would be ill til my cat came home. She was my baby. She got stuck under my dad's hood once and he thought she'd climb out when he started driving. He made it all the way to work (2+ hours) and she was still there. He almost let her stay there until he realized I'd have a massive melt down if I found out she was lost because of him. So he drove home with her still there. He spent a few hours trying to get her out before I got home. She heard my voice and came right out to me. She was 100% fine. I was in my late teens at the time. I had that cat from the time I was 7 til I was in my early 20s.

Went to the grocery store for the Thanksgiving produce. I also stocked up on soup making ingredients. Cans of tomatoes, egg noodles and better than bullion to name a few. I also got some more flour to put in the freezer. I am using it fast making bread every week.

K helped me finish putting the doors on the evac totes. I got them packed up and in the closet. They are great! Now I won't have to scramble for the pets stuff if we need to evac again. Putting the cat door in the end of the tote will help with normalcy for the cats. They know there is always a litter box behind a cat door and when we get to a safe place after an evac this will be true.

I also ran out for baling wire so K can hang giant ornaments from our tree in the front yard. I went to the local Ace and almost cleaned them out of seeds! I haven't seen seeds for sale in over a year!
It is a great time to get end of season seeds. My Ace store somehow returns their seeds at a certain point. I asked where the seeds were and the manager told me she returned them. I haven't been in the store in a while, but I will look when I go in.

It is a great time to get end of season seeds. My Ace store somehow returns their seeds at a certain point. I asked where the seeds were and the manager told me she returned them. I haven't been in the store in a while, but I will look when I go in.

They had one of those rotating racks by the checkout line. Not a lot of variety and very few were heirlooms but I wanted to make sure I had fresh seeds for spring in case I couldn't get any true heirlooms.

They had one of those rotating racks by the checkout line. Not a lot of variety and very few were heirlooms but I wanted to make sure I had fresh seeds for spring in case I couldn't get any true heirlooms.
I recently went through my seeds and got them organized. I had them in a few places (bins), and wanted to throw away the really old ones, the 20 year old ones. I threw out a bunch, and sorted them into 3 categories: veggies, flowers, herbs. I write the year on the front with a sharpie so I can easily see it, then file the seeds in alphabetical order within the three categories, using a 4 x 6 index card to write it on and to separate the seeds. I really need to look at what I have before I go buy more, because I already have a bunch.

Last edited:
Well, I got almost 2 hours sleep last night. And I was doing so well for a couple of weeks!

So, up at 5.
Made coffee and got turkey in the oven.
Made broccoli and rice casserole.
Made stuffing and Green bean casserole.

Tukey should be done about 8:30. After it rests a bit, will start packaging and putting away.
Sides should be done around 9 and then the same will be done with them.

For us, today is Thanksgiving and whenever we want to eat.
After all is put away, I am taking the rest of the day off!

Well, I got almost 2 hours sleep last night. And I was doing so well for a couple of weeks!

So, up at 5.

Tukey should be done about 8:30. After it rests a bit, will start packaging and putting away.

The turkey might help you have a nap later today. I recently bought a 36 pack of Canada Dry at Costco. I bought it because it had cranberry flavored ones as well as others. I drank one of the cranberry flavors one day. That night I had a hard time sleeping. A few days later, I had another one. Same thing, had a hard time sleeping. Someone told me years ago that when she consumed artificial sweeteners, they kept her awake at night. While I like the cranberry flavored ones, I have decided I will not be consuming any more of them. There is also a blackberry flavored one in there. I have to read the ingredients and see what is different in the cranberry ones and if the blackberry ones have that as well. Regular Canada Dry does not have this effect on me. I am wondering if you partake in anything with artificial sweeteners? I have friends who have noticed this effect as well.

So, up at 5.

Snap; Mr.Meer did basically same thing, he woke up at 3 and has been up since.
Now he has to help with cooking.He said he didn't want us to cook this year since nobody is going to be here and we're not going to Ga.
All of a sudden yesterday we were in grocery store he chsnged his mind and bought a 23lb turkey and most of the trimmings.:huh:.
Now I'm in a rush to thaw out GIANT turkey peel cut up and peel all the onions,potatoes,celery,maake pie cfrust, etc.etc. etc.
Plus its time to vacuum,mop bath old stinking dogs.
But it beats sitting around plus we will have lots of meals to freeze.:thumbs:

We are doing a chicken this year. With just 2 of us home and neither of us liking turkey enough to be willing to eat it for a week we decided that a little bird will do.
I plan to use the extra time to finish replacing all the old light fixtures in the basement to lower draw LEDs and do a little organizing to make room for more indoor growing.

I got my order of indoor varieties of seeds to experiment with over this winter.

Last night I took some letters to the post office, mostly birthday cards that needed to be rushed along... When I got back to the car, I discovered that the key fob didn't work... and I left my phone at home.... I walked over to a drug store and in the light on their sidewalk I opened the back of the fob to find what kind of battery it needed, got the battery and replaced it. Noticed that this key fop was missing the door open push button (Son had been using this one and failed to let me know). Just pushing were the open door button should be didn't work, but using an Ink Pen I was able to push the button on the circuit board and get the door opened.... Was able to order a new housing for under $10, but the event reminded me that I need to be better prepared in all aspects of my life....

Had my coffee .

After feeding wife Bananas, rice , applesauce, and lots of toast yesterday , she is doing much better today . She's even looking better. More colorful and walking dang near normal.

It was 2 weeks ago today she had surgery. Her labs and tests came back with good news . Everything normal.
Gotta go pick up a BP med, which she probably won't take.

Going over to help my doctor friend set up his phone to do WM grocery pick up. We help each other.

Then get some cooking done for tomorrow.
Ham is ordered , from bbq joint, pickup tonight. We gotta do cranberries, yams, green beans , peas , limas, ( from garden).

Things are looking up.

I sure hope y'all all have a great day today and tomorrow.

Be safe.

Jim

Last edited:
I’m building 14 new homes at the moment but took the day to get some work done on my kitchen. I’ve been working on it for a month. I hope to get the entire thing finished before the weekend is up. Sneak peak before and after, I think it’s going to turn out pretty. I have done black granite new backsplash new appliances new sink and hardware.

before and after

E4CAFE09-CC5F-442F-ACF3-8FDF78720297.png
FDB5B86A-D2DC-474A-98AB-E7A955B7B02F.jpeg

I’m building 14 new homes at the moment but took the day to get some work done on my kitchen. I’ve been working on it for a month. I hope to get the entire thing finished before the weekend is up. Sneak peak before and after, I think it’s going to turn out pretty. I have done black granite new backsplash new appliances new sink and hardware.

before and after

View attachment 53980View attachment 53981
Beautiful HashB. :great:

Moving forward installing floor joists.

20201125_145521.jpg

20201125_145531.jpg

We are going to take a break from the rebuilding until next week.

Before departing my brother wanted to test drive the new post hole digger.

20201125_150502.jpg

It dug a 3 foot deep hole in 30 seconds. He was giggling like a little kid. He has a job coming up where he make use of it.

Ben

Strawberry has been walked.
I've had coffee.
While she was being walked, changed the bed.
Sorted clothes, and loaded them.
Went to laundry mat.
Dad needed something from Wal*Mart.
Took care of that.
Came home, put most of the laundry away.
Started prepping stuff for Thanksgiving.
Two jello salads are made up and in frig.
Finished my Christmas shopping while at Wal*Mart.
Stopped at bank got $10 of pennies for 4 piggy banks.
Just got wrap Christmas gifts.
Find tree later.
Cut up potatoes got them cooking for real mashed potatoes.
Just got to mash them now.
Waiting on last pan of cornbread to get done.
Cooked leg quarter, back for fresh chicken broth to cook noodles.
But resting and elevating left foot.
Strawberry is snoozing on my lap.
Will make turkey gravy in the morning.
Debating on when to put turkey in oven in the morning.
Thinking while Strawberry gets walked in the morning.

Grimm, even though I have a lot of cats, I love each of them as if they are my children. My dad also loved cats. The one time he recalls ever having a temper tantrum as a child was when his mom convinced his dad to take all of their cats to a shelter & get rid of them. He got home, couldn't find any of the cats, asked where they were, was told, and pitched a fit about how dare they get rid of his precious kitties without even letting him say goodbye- and how dare they just dump their beloved pets like that. His father hadn't really wanted to do it so he went back to the shelter and brought them all back home. I'm not sure how many there were but I know it was under 10.

Hashbrown, great job on that kitchen. The cabinets look professional. Love the raised panel cathedral style.

Ben, progress you're making looks great! Wish I was making progress on my house. Still trying to get my energy back. I also wish I could have a basement but water level here is too high.

Had to take my friend to the eye doctor 3 days in a row. Got up at 6:27am for his appointment this morning. He's had multiple tests done but he hit a snag-- Medicaid did not approve an MRI yet & they are trying to convince Medicaid that it is necessary. In this area, it is impossible to get an MRI without insurance approval. If you don't have insurance, you can't get one. There is only one place in the entire state that will do MRIs without insurance approval & it's over 3 hours away & they don't give a damn about your appointment time. Never waited less than 3 hours after appointment time there (took my friend's gf over some cardiac stuff). My friend has been getting carsick bc of the eye. Nurse apparently said to him "You can't see f*** out of that eye!!". He's a bit freaked out about going blind-- particularly since it's not his eye & that means it could be something worse that could cause even more issues or even kill him. His gf isn't taking it well. He was actually more worried about her reaction to it than he was about the health issue at first. I'm hoping it is nothing major & that the damage can be reversed. He can't drive until he gets it sorted out.

When I got home the good neighbor was bush-hogging my side 5 acres. My bad neighbor randomly called out of nowhere. I could barely hear him but I could make out he said my cows were loose & they were fat. I told him the front gate & fence got taken out by the hurricane so I can't keep them in. Really need to suck it up and hire someone to fix that-- but the trees have to be cut out of the way and the holes for the roots need to be filled in. There are 5ft deep pits under the roots. I don't think the bad neighbor will be around for too much longer. I actually do feel sympathy for him despite him being a scumbag. I let him know I was trained in CPR so that if he needs help he can call & I can get there faster than the paramedics.

Just made dinner & need a nap again. I'll be glad when I get my energy back.

This is how my front yard looks now after the mowing and cleaning up (I wish I could find my before pics). People can make fun of the gate with no fence. Falling trees took out the rest of that fence & the gate posts are cemented in. Mom grab on to the gate & posts when going to the truck or getting out of it sometimes. I'd like to take out the side fence on the left bc it just gets in the way & is smashed. My cow walked in while I was taking pictures. SD card filled up with the last shot so I need to clear pics off my phone and transfer them to my computer. Those tall weeds beyond the fence off to the left are what had filled almost the entire yard before it got mowed down.
frontyard1_11-24-2020.jpg
frontyard2_11-24-2020.jpg
KwaiFront-11-24-2020.jpg

I still had to feed the darn cats today😡
Yeah, while the wife is recovering from her knee surgery (she's doing very well!) I have to feed the cat and clean the litter box. Actually boxes. This little queen has to have multiples. Sorry cat lovers - dogs are much better. This litter box stuff is for the birds! Do cats do anything other than eat, poop and pee? Then yowl for more food and repeat the nasty cycle?

Morning folks, got to sleep in this morning....

Last night I got a long way towards replacing all the lights in the unfinished basement and my desk. It is much brighter now and I figure I pulled out about 1000w of lighting and replaced it with about 320w of LEDs. During the process I had to pull out TP and paper towels to get under some of the old lighting, gives me a chance to do a proper inventory and organize things better.

It also created a clear space about 4'X6' that I can use for my larger indoor containers, It looks like I will have about 6 -20w tubes and 4-10w surface mount spots that I can use to flood that area with light... While cleaning out the space I found 4 old empty food storage buckets that I will be able to use for growing containers.

The peppers that I had transplanted and then had the mite infestation in the house spent the last 2 days outside, I have sprayed the plants 3 times now and removed any leaves harboring the little buggers... But, this has taught me that if I plan to bring in plants from outside I need to have a quarantine area for them...

The outside raised beds with tops are doing well, the spinach is doing much better now that the slugs are gone. I discovered some mites on my flat leaf parsley, so I sprayed them yesterday.

At the growing station: 8 of the 12 seed starters that I planted on 11/19/2020 have sprouted, 7 days. They are all planted thick, so I will have to start moving them in about 3 weeks. My back-fill lettuce is now about a week from moving into the hydroponics and the hydroponic lettuce is about 2 weeks from harvest time.

My herbs in a can need to be harvested, I have 18" high basil, rosemary, and thyme; could use some advice on how to harvest and preserve them for cooking. The wife thinks that she can just cook them into a tomato sause, but I don't think she comprehends how much there is of each

I put about 1 1/2" of soil into a window box (1 of 3 I recovered and cleaned from outside) for radishes and they are up, I figure I can add a little more soil around the plants as the grow.

Today and tomorrow I plan to just organize and clean out stuff so I can have more useable space.

Happy Holidays,

Urban

Happy Thanksgiving, HCL!

This year Thanksgiving will be a bit weird for me. Pops is still in quarantine until the weekend and my middle brother tested positive a few days back, so there's no family gathering. It's my ex's holiday to have my daughter so I think I'm going to just hang out at home and watch movies. Assuming Pops doesn't start showing symptoms, we'll go up to have dinner with him and Mom on Saturday. Probably won't be turkey though...😉 How does roast beef and mashed potatoes sound for a late Thanksgiving meal?

Latest posts

Back