What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Amish Heart you mentioned the Mrs. White's muffin mixes & it reminded me of a funny.
Growing up, the family that was like my second family was Smith. One time we were over there and had some pie. It was a frozen "Mrs. Smith's apple pie." My dad asked who made the pie. The response (can't remember from whom) was "Mrs. Smith." He looked at Ma Smith and complimented her on the pie. She grinned and said thank you 😂

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
My Dad enjoyed his Thanksgiving/ extended family dinner.
That's the last one of those for me.
The extended family (BS) dinner.
Had a Medical Incident this Thanksgiving afternoon.
Am now home.
I will see the Cardiologist on Monday.
My sons and I have been having serious discussions about the future.
My dad is doing well.
He has been worried about me since Thanksgiving afternoon.
Went by and saw Dad today.
Took him 8 pack of Pepsi.

No Nissan Frontier , No Chevy Colorado. Bump my head getting in and out uuugghh.

Pickedp up my countertops. VA took my photo.
Went to Lowes, got a farm style faucet for kitchen. Picked up mortar and grout for backsplash tile.

Went to Freddie's for lunch..ummm good.

Stopped at Nissan and Chevy dealers...no fit. uuugghh

Got home, got 2 pieces of countertop on.
IMG_20211129_190128146.jpg
IMG_20211129_190055955.jpg

Gonna be a busy week.

Jim

No Nissan Frontier , No Chevy Colorado. Bump my head getting in and out uuugghh.

Pickedp up my countertops. VA took my photo.
Went to Lowes, got a farm style faucet for kitchen. Picked up mortar and grout for backsplash tile.

Went to Freddie's for lunch..ummm good.

Stopped at Nissan and Chevy dealers...no fit. uuugghh

Got home, got 2 pieces of countertop on.
View attachment 76363View attachment 76364

Gonna be a busy week.

Jim

I wouldn't have returned the other vehicle. Contract signed, money paid tuff toodies for them.

That's the exact same backsplash we put in our New Mexico house before we sold it last year. The new owners tore the whole kitchen out.
Washer guy bandaided the washer, I've got a couple loads in, but it's not running well. He's picking it up Wednesday and bringing another used Maytag. He doesn't have anything simple that I wanted.

@phideaux It's too bad there's no trucks near you, Jim. I was looking at Ford Mavericks online today, and there were 24 brand new ones for sale within 100 miles of me. The factory must have sent out a shipment.

There were Toyotas, Hondas, and some Rangers too. But the prices suck. Glad I bought mine last summer. I paid at least $2000 less than what the same truck cost now...

bringing another used Maytag. He doesn't have anything simple that I wanted.

Dad's old washer died a few years ago and I had to really search for something with knobs and a couple of real buttons. I went to 3 towns and finally found something that he could operate without trouble.

Anyway, it was a ge from the big box store. And it's run great without any issues.

@sonya123 I can't remember if you are north of the boarder or still in the US, but we are hoping for a "good winter". We want some of those southerners who moved north to go back south leaving property prices a bit more reasonable.

No, it;s not that bad here...we are in SW Virginia, really still in the south :) and not planning on moving. It's just darker here longer than Florida where we used to live.

Tractor update: husband called around and was told you have 2 options, bring the tractor in, or have someone come here to fix it. So he is going to try to find someone to come here since we don't have a trailer to put it on.
Always something....
I wonder if AAA will tow a tractor...

I have to deworm a Boer goat today. This little guy keeps getting parasites, I already dewormed him 2 months ago. I guess it is true that the Boers are less resistant than Kikos. We just started getting Boer bucks to increase the amount of meat on our goats and it's working, but the Boers are harder to keep healthy. We only breed the female Kikos and Kiko boer mixes, don't have any pure Boer does.

Other than that, I found bread I actually like in teh Walmart bakery. It's Marble Rye and I plan on figuring out how to make that. So that will be my projects for the day. Oh and go out in the woods to collect starter sticks. We pick up the stuff on the ground for the wood stove.

@phideaux It's too bad there's no trucks near you, Jim. I was looking at Ford Mavericks online today, and there were 24 brand new ones for sale within 100 miles of me. The factory must have sent out a shipment.

There were Toyotas, Hondas, and some Rangers too. But the prices suck. Glad I bought mine last summer. I paid at least $2000 less than what the same truck cost now...

Yep , prices are crazy. The Nissan salesman told me that the window sticker price is not the price anymore, they add $2500 to MSRP.
I told him that's gouging...he said it's the only way they can stay open...they have nothing to sell.

Looking like I'll be used , private owner shopping,.
I still like them Chevy Avalanches.

Busy today working on kitchen.

Jim

Yep , prices are crazy. The Nissan salesman told me that the window sticker price is not the price anymore, they add $2500 to MSRP.
I told him that's gouging...he said it's the only way they can stay open...they have nothing to sell.

Looking like I'll be used , private owner shopping,.
I still like them Chevy Avalanches.

Busy today working on kitchen.

Jim
Do an "Advanced Search" on Cars.com. There's gotta be more trucks available near you. I just found more near me, for sale at MSRP.

Jim, sometimes vehicle prices will go down in early January as stores are trying to purge inventory & a new model year begins so hey are supposed to drop the price. But not always. Btw, the bathroom looks great still. I hope my new guest bathroom will look that nice.

I am still exhausted. I managed to bruise one my hands & not sure how. Both hands hurt to move. Crawling under the house the other day did not help my body any. LOL. I got very little sleep the past couple days. Probably going to nap for a bit before I take mom for her doctor appointment. When my body recovers its back to more cleaning.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Going to a bargain store in the middle of nowhere to lay in supplies, then making tostadas with chilis, onions, sour cream and lemon and doing a gun swap for a Kalashnikov America (maybe)

Taking time from my cleaning jobs to help an elderly lady get her laundry done. She fell recently and is doing great but still can't do any lifting. She is in a very fixed income. Her son and daughter both are well off but don't help her or see about her in any way! Her husband died when they were young and she raised those two kids alone and put them through school. She has always been the kind to help others, so I'm trying to do my part and help her in return for those she helped but are not in a position to help her!

Been busy this morning.
Dishes are done.
Laundry is washed, dried and put away.
Living room furniture has been moved, so I could dust and scrub behind it and underneath it.
Have had lunch.
Kicked back in recliner resting.
Have move furniture a few inches, then rest, move a bit more, then rest.
Finally have the love seat moved away from the bay window.
So grand daughter Estelle and I can decorate for Christmas next Friday night.
Watching Real PD-Kansas City on Discovery Plus.
Might take a nap in a bit.

Been busy this morning.
Dishes are done.
Laundry is washed, dried and put away.
Living room furniture has been moved, so I could dust and scrub behind it and underneath it.
Have had lunch.
Kicked back in recliner resting.
Have move furniture a few inches, then rest, move a bit more, then rest.
Finally have the love seat moved away from the bay window.
So grand daughter Estelle and I can decorate for Christmas next Friday night.
Watching Real PD-Kansas City on Discovery Plus.
Might take a nap in a bit.
Glad you're doing alright. I have refrained from "bugging" you but have been thinking of you 😊
@phideaux Actually, most dealerships pay by quota so end of month, quarter, year are the best times to deal. The week between Christmas and New Year meets all 3 of those benchmarks so should render the best deals but it sounds like finding the right rig is the real challenge.
Going to a bargain store in the middle of nowhere to lay in supplies, then making tostadas with chilis, onions, sour cream and lemon and doing a gun swap for a Kalashnikov America (maybe)
And just where are you planning on putting those supplies - 😂 I'm just harassing you - heehee.

Yesterday as I was leaving, there was a nice pine branch right at the edge of the road as we pull out (fell off a trailer I'm sure.) Someone was just going to hit it so I thought I might as well pick it up and make a bough or something, put it in the trunk of my car. I've left it in there - my car smells sooo good! I will take it out and do as I intended, but I sure like the smell.

That's a good thing you're doing for the lady, Pearl. Doing laundry is a thing where we live if someone is elderly, sick, just had a baby, you name it. Laundry and dinner and life is pretty good. Widowed men always have a daughter do the laundry because men don't do laundry. Don't know why, but that's how it is.
Had an appt with the RN for a checkup today, and of course she asked if I wanted a flu shot or a vaxx. Said no, but she was ok with that. Told me my doctor and his whole family are down with covid since last week and they all were vaxxed. Even boostered. Husband went in to nap. He picked up Cousin Harry from the train station at 2 am and got him some milk for morning and brought him home. Harry went to Kentucky to visit his grandkids. I'm sure he'll have some stories to tell at Sunday dinner.

Do an "Advanced Search" on Cars.com. There's gotta be more trucks available near you. I just found more near me, for sale at MSRP.

@Spikedriver , well buddy , I tell ya, I've about exhausted my choices of midsize trucks.
I can't get in a Tacoma, tried 3 different ones.
Rangers are a little better , but leg room is too little.
The Colorado is ok , but no bells and whistles.
Ridgeline was ok , more car than truck. I got sour on them.
Frontier is best looking one, best equipped, best prices, but I bumped my head getting in and out.
Wife won't let me even consider the Gladiator.

I'm 6'3"+ , so they are all losing a segment of the market.

Soooo...I may be going to look at a 2007 Avalanche , that loaded and in great shape. Who knows until I see it in person.

I think I sold my Ram to soon.🤥😒

Jim

@Spikedriver , well buddy , I tell ya, I've about exhausted my choices of midsize trucks.
I can't get in a Tacoma, tried 3 different ones.
Rangers are a little better , but leg room is too little.
The Colorado is ok , but no bells and whistles.
Ridgeline was ok , more car than truck. I got sour on them.
Frontier is best looking one, best equipped, best prices, but I bumped my head getting in and out.
Wife won't let me even consider the Gladiator.

I'm 6'3"+ , so they are all losing a segment of the market.

Soooo...I may be going to look at a 2007 Avalanche , that loaded and in great shape. Who knows until I see it in person.

I think I sold my Ram to soon.🤥😒

Jim
I would think that if you can find a loaded Colorado/GMC Canyon, it would have all the bells and whistles you could ask for. I've never looked at one though, so I guess I could be wrong.

I do know that one of my coworkers has a diesel Colorado, and he loves it. 30 mpg on the highway, 4x4, leather, and all the goodies. I've gotten sour on GM vehicles, or I would've tried to get one for myself...

@Spikedriver , Colorado and Canyons do not have pushbutton start, no adaptive cruise, no lane assist, no rain sensing wipers. Some other stuff also. They just don't put those options on.
All 4 of those options are deal breakers for me for $50,000. I suppose I got use to my Lincoln , now my Explorer.
Ridgeline and Frontier had all those
If I can't get those options I'll just buy a used truck for 10-15 k. Save a bunch of money , and only use it occasionally.

Jim

Catching up...

I finished for now the electrical work on Thanksgiving day.

20211125_154234_HDR.jpg

Turned attention to insulation.

20211130_152629.jpg

Finished that today then did more demolition work that never been completed.

20211130_155633.jpg

Tomorrow I start putting in the drywall for the kitchen area. My brother has decided skip the drywall joint compound and go with plaster. He worked a guy to remodel the fire hall using that technique and saved a lot of work. I will be learning as I go.

Ben

Today I was pulling out stuff for the holidays after work, ran across a box that didn't look familiar and looked inside.... I saw what looked like all the parts for an old all metal V-strainer... Pulled it out and put it together and sure enough all the parts were there (I just don't remember it... can't recall ever using it, it looks good but....), took it to the wife and she cannot recall it either.

I looked further in the box and found a Griscer hand crank cheese grater with 3 or 4 cones (Made in the USA (Indiana)), it looks like it could do a number on your hands (no guards) if you were not careful... don't know where that came from either... Must have been teleported in while we were sleeping...

Heading to big town today to pick up my countertops.
Stop at VA for new ID photo.
Stop by Lowe's for kitchen faucet.

Lunch

Stop by Chevy dealer to look at one of two Colorado's in west KY.
Stop by Nissan dealer to see if they have any 2022 Frontiers. I been studying about the NEW Frontier . May be interested.

Then home to start countertop install.

Busy day today.

Isn't it amazing how God has improved my health from last 2 years .

Jim
If it appears it may be months for you to find a suitable vehicle you might look into ordering a new vehicle with all the options you want. Dealers lie and tell people you can only get such and such options with leather seats or say they only come with or without certain options, but the reality is they only order vehicles with the options they want to sell or think may be popular with most people. If you go online and custom order you may be surprised at what options are available and what you can choose not to have. I know/believe the big 3 allow people to order vehicles, not sure about the other brands. It may take a couple months or maybe more but it is something to consider. This is the time to custom order vehicles for the next model year.

@Spikedriver

Jim
The Avalanche is a great vehicle. I love my 2002. Custom ordered it to get exactly what I wanted. One thing to consider for the 2007, the thing where the computer cuts out 4 cylinders when less power is needed tended to cause excess oil usage. It wont break the engine but you would need to watch the oil level. Not every engine had that problem, but a search will bring up the issue so you can study it. Aside from that the engine itself is about bullet proof. I knew of many people in the Avalanche Fan Club that put turbochargers on the engine and drove it hard and had passed 200k miles without a problem. It's been years since I surfed that website but I was there daily when I had the supercharger on my 5.3 Avalanche. When I bought my Dodge Ram diesel I took the supercharger off the Avalanche so I could use the low octane gas and lost touch with the friends I made on the forum.

I had to go to town. I saw a guy riding a bike and when he passed a bunch of mail boxes he grabbed an Amazon package and kept going. I called the police and let them know. I even told them where he was. As I drove home 3 city cops were with him. I don't know what happened after that. I did tell them I have a video of him riding away but you can't see his face.
I absolutely hate thieves.

@phideaux A few years ago a nearby couple/friends knew what they wanted in a vehicle. Surfed the 'nets and found a Lincoln SUV (forget which model) they wanted and the wife flew from TX to FL to buy it, drove it home. They're not full of money but enough to do something like that. My father-in-law was stout and had a long torso, shorter legs, he had a hard time finding vehicles to fit his size too. He wasn't anywhere near 6 foot tho. I hope you find something that fits! Your countertops look nice.
@backlash :clapping:

hey @MoBookworm1957

Latest posts

Back