What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning up today, doing laundry and will probably make a pan of enchiladas.
Got lots of snow overnight, and our bobcat is up at the property so no way to plow our 1/4 mile driveway. We have a snowblower but we usually use that just for the upper part of the property as the driveway is pretty steep.
I need to go to the grocery store, but can put it off another week or so.

Canceled an order on build .com bc I derped and ordered the wrong thing (sink had 1 hole instead of 3). CS was great. She put in cancel order for the wrong one and saw I'd put the right one in my cart. Processed the order and applied the 5% coupon for me so it almost took half of the 10.45% sales tax out.

Waiting to wake Mom up to go get her booster shot. I scheduled it for 3:20pm. Hopefully she'll get up in time. I have to get her up an hour to 45min before because she takes her sweet time getting ready. Unless I have to use the bathroom or stop to feed the cats, I can be up and out in less than 5min. She doesn't even wear makeup but she takes forever to get dressed, put her shoes on, and brush her hair. I guess I'm faster bc I don't care about my hair. I run my fingers through it and figure it's as good as it's going to get and I don't give a damn what other people think about my hair. Although, I do need to get it cut because it's getting annoying.

Snow! On the way to work, I virtually had the road to myself. Saw some folks out shoveling the sidewalks. After a few hours, the nidgits came out as did the plows which pushed the snow right back up on the sidewalks. The guys are having issues with their welding helmets which are good to -10*C = 14*F. We were at about 12-13 earlier. Told them to put their helmets in the office in the evenings. Now it's a toasty 15*. Don't see it getting any warmer. One of the guys slid off the road and wrecked his rig last week so we leant him one of our extras. He made it home fine. This morning on the way in the thermostat went out in it so he was frozen by the time he made it to work. (Had to go super slow because it was overheating.) I've been back and forth to Napa getting the right coolant, then exchanging the wrong part they sold me for the right part etc. :rolleyes: We should just all stay home and drink something warm today.

Snow! On the way to work, I virtually had the road to myself. Saw some folks out shoveling the sidewalks. After a few hours, the nidgits came out as did the plows which pushed the snow right back up on the sidewalks. The guys are having issues with their welding helmets which are good to -10*C = 14*F. We were at about 12-13 earlier. Told them to put their helmets in the office in the evenings. Now it's a toasty 15*. Don't see it getting any warmer. One of the guys slid off the road and wrecked his rig last week so we leant him one of our extras. He made it home fine. This morning on the way in the thermostat went out in it so he was frozen by the time he made it to work. (Had to go super slow because it was overheating.) I've been back and forth to Napa getting the right coolant, then exchanging the wrong part they sold me for the right part etc. :rolleyes: We should just all stay home and drink something warm today.
Cheers to that. I'm having hot cider. :D
If there is one good thing about what I do for a living, it's the days off (the days on more than make up for that) - but not having to drive in this stuff and be out in the freezing cold is fine with me.
My poor daughter woke up with a cold sore so I just called some meds in for her, and she went off to walmart - braving the snow. She said she will pick up a few things for me while she is there, thank goodness. :D

Cheers to that. I'm having hot cider. :D
If there is one good thing about what I do for a living, it's the days off (the days on more than make up for that) - but not having to drive in this stuff and be out in the freezing cold is fine with me.
My poor daughter woke up with a cold sore so I just called some meds in for her, and she went off to walmart - braving the snow. She said she will pick up a few things for me while she is there, thank goodness. :D
I hate cold sores - I get them too from allergies.

Woke up today and felt lousy. Holidays always boosts my blood pressure because the family atmosphere is crap and my kids are not around. Went to town for some errands and really felt bad. Debated for about an hour about going to the hospital but I have no insurance because the affordable stuff is not affordable. Finished my errands and decided to F-it and drove home. Unloaded the stuff at the house and retired to the bed with YouTube and a few sips of bourbon. Felling more relaxed so glad I didn't waste the money at the ER. I know it is BP related and last time a couple few years ago they told me it was situational stress and BP problems are not constant so no meds to be had. Maybe one day life will be joyous again. Maybe.
Watching Vise Grip Garage on YouTube and laughing at his custom linguistics and lackadaisical attitude. Watching his big block build for his Independence Chevelle gives me ideas for when I eventually get to upgrading my '64 Chevelle. One day.
Also watched a video about the boxer Eric Butterbean Esch that was interesting.
Still no snow here. I prepared a couple days ago for the snowcopalypse the weather morons guessed at but still no snow. They guessed at 8 to 14"+ for yesterday and nothing arrived Now they are guessing at 6 to 8 inches for tonight but the scattered clouds say otherwise. I am pretty much prepared for snow from 4 inches to 4 feet so I guess that means we wont get much or any. We shall see.
GF is off flying. Thankfully Southwest is not the airline with issues or delays this time.
Just hoping to relax today and this evening and maybe tomorrow I can be productive.

So, first Mom got mad that I didn't schedule her appointment, then she got mad that I *did* schedule her appointment. Ugh. She had a little toddler tantrum. Decided she wasn't going to act like an adult and refused to go. She told me to pick a time and I did. Apparently she wanted a later time but I needed to get mail before the post office closed. Anyway, I'm going to walk her through setting up an appointment herself so she won't be able to pull that with me again.

I still went to get mail. Cows were giving me pitiful looks so I stopped at tractor supply to get them some sweet feed. They were excited. Red cow is starting to learn she needs to back up at least a little when I am trying to cut the bag open for them.

Countertop samples came in and Mom has chosen her favorite. It was the one I suspected would be her favorite.

I just took my meds and have to wait 45min to an hour to eat.

It was 82° out today and I was sweating.

Woke up today and felt lousy. Holidays always boosts my blood pressure because the family atmosphere is crap and my kids are not around. Went to town for some errands and really felt bad. Debated for about an hour about going to the hospital but I have no insurance because the affordable stuff is not affordable. Finished my errands and decided to F-it and drove home. Unloaded the stuff at the house and retired to the bed with YouTube and a few sips of bourbon. Felling more relaxed so glad I didn't waste the money at the ER. I know it is BP related and last time a couple few years ago they told me it was situational stress and BP problems are not constant so no meds to be had. Maybe one day life will be joyous again. Maybe.
Watching Vise Grip Garage on YouTube and laughing at his custom linguistics and lackadaisical attitude. Watching his big block build for his Independence Chevelle gives me ideas for when I eventually get to upgrading my '64 Chevelle. One day.
Also watched a video about the boxer Eric Butterbean Esch that was interesting.
Still no snow here. I prepared a couple days ago for the snowcopalypse the weather morons guessed at but still no snow. They guessed at 8 to 14"+ for yesterday and nothing arrived Now they are guessing at 6 to 8 inches for tonight but the scattered clouds say otherwise. I am pretty much prepared for snow from 4 inches to 4 feet so I guess that means we wont get much or any. We shall see.
GF is off flying. Thankfully Southwest is not the airline with issues or delays this time.
Just hoping to relax today and this evening and maybe tomorrow I can be productive.
@Peanut is there anything natural that he can incorporate into his diet/routine even on a temp. basis?
@INresponse We are getting your snowpocolypse! It's beautiful but cold - was supposed to get to 21 through the night. I think it made it to 18 and is now back down to 15.
Rounding out end of year stuff - otherwise slow and wishing I was nestled in at home not leaving until it melted.

@Peanut is there anything natural that he can incorporate into his diet/routine even on a temp. basis?

Huh? What are you talking about? Who?

College bowl games on today, 4 of them. Auburn is up first. No plans but tv.

Still haven't talked to dad about that cash. I think I've figured it out. I've been talking to him about buying another freezer for several months (if I can find one). We'll see...

College bowl games on today, 4 of them. Auburn is up first. No plans but tv.

Still haven't talked to dad about that cash. I think I've figured it out. I've been talking to him about buying another freezer for several months (if I can find one). We'll see...
Thinking of InResponse's blood pressure - stress induced

Here's my back porch news...
20211228_151903.jpg

Along with this ⬇️
I'm leaving Charlotte for Winston-Salem!
Starting a new job Jan 3.
I'm 1/2 way moved over already.
Two loads left; secind load with a trailer.

Here's my back porch news...
View attachment 77798
Along with this ⬇
I'm leaving Charlotte for Winston-Salem!
Starting a new job Jan 3.
I'm 1/2 way moved over already.
Two loads left; secind load with a trailer.
Good luck with the remainder of the move and in your new job!!! That's quite the view you have there.

@INresponse We are getting your snowpocolypse! It's beautiful but cold - was supposed to get to 21 through the night. I think it made it to 18 and is now back down to 15.
Rounding out end of year stuff - otherwise slow and wishing I was nestled in at home not leaving until it melted.

Thinking of InResponse's blood pressure - stress induced

Magnesium, valarian root, melatonin!

I appreciate all of you. Thank you Pearl for the suggestions. I went to bed early last night and slept pretty good but woke up about 3am and had a PB&J sandwich and shortly after that I felt lousy again. This morning I decided I would hit the KETO diet hard and avoid the carbs and sugar. The past few weeks I have been eating far too many carbs and holiday junk food and aside from hating holidays without my kids around the carbs and sugar are making it worse.

I take magnesium and ashwaganda every day and both of them help. I will look into valarian root and melatonin too.

I appreciate all of you. Thank you Pearl for the suggestions. I went to bed early last night and slept pretty good but woke up about 3am and had a PB&J sandwich and shortly after that I felt lousy again. This morning I decided I would hit the KETO diet hard and avoid the carbs and sugar. The past few weeks I have been eating far too many carbs and holiday junk food and aside from hating holidays without my kids around the carbs and sugar are making it worse.

I take magnesium and ashwaganda every day and both of them help. I will look into valarian root and melatonin too.
I've been a carb junky lately too - I need to stop!

I need to clean up my diet, too, wayyyy too many yummy carbs,
We've been out all day being a driver for my cousin Harry. We had errands to run simultaneously, so we don't let him "hire" us for a driver, although he insisted he pay for our brunch at IHOP. He had to do a fasting blood draw at the hospital first, so he was starving by the time we hit IHOP. Then husband dropped us off at Walmart to do the shopping while he went to get his allergy shot for the week. Then off to a tractor part store for Harry. Then a different store for his chain saw parts, but it was next to the Amish Bulk Store, so I shopped in there. Shocking price at Walmart on sliced canned potatoes, even asked a worker if it was correct. They were 25 cents a can, not dented, expires in 2024. I bought 3 cases. Walmart Brand condensed chicken noodle soup was 50 cents a can, bought a case. 10# chub of hanburger was $33, but needed to get some.

If I don't get ahold of my diet Richard Simmons will be holding my hand and crying.

HB, OMG. 🤣🤣🤣You just don't strike me as one that would let that little creep within a hundered yards of you.

Lucky I hope your move goes well and the new job is just what you want.

I went to Sams after work for a resupply run. Got most stuff I went for except some spices and vitamins. Spent almost $100 on meat, but got 4 pork tenderloins, 2 beef tenderloins, and a big pack of boneless pork chops. Prices were up a little, but not as bad as I expected on the meat. Everything else was no worse than a few months ago when I went last. I was surprised at that.
Got 3 years supply of bar soap, 6 months worth of laundry soap, 6 months of TP, bunch of other stuff

Sooooo, today I spent most the day lying on the bed either either YouTube or on the computer. I felt BAD all day until about 3pm, which is when I only felt lousy. About noon I had a few slices of ham. About 3pm I had a few more slices of ham. I just BBQ'd a ribeye steak and it was delicious. I am almost feeling OK. I am not saying I will never have carbs or sugar again but I am "done" with carbs for a while. I am surprised my heart didn't explode or my arteries didn't rip apart. A few years ago I went to the ER for very high blood pressure and they eventually sent me home with a 3 day script for a modern day version of valium and told me to walk more often. The BP is not all the time, it is situational stress induced, so they wont give me meds. Which is fine because I don't want meds but it is bad because when the BP spikes there is not much I can do. Sooooo, KETO diet is the plan, until that takes effect an hourly shot of bourbon is helping me relax.

The weather morons have been guessing for days that we will be getting lots of snow followed by lots of snow but every few hours when I check back they keep pushing back the onslaught and reducing their numbers. The original guesses claimed we should be close to 2 feet by now but we have less than 4 inches and the guess for a slim chance for an inch or maybe a few inches over the next couple days. I understand that guessing at weather in the mountainous areas of the desert southwest is tricky at times but if you are claiming 8" to 14" of snow tonight a reasonable person would expect some snow that night. If the educated morons don't know what is gonna happen shouldn't they say "We are not sure but it is possible you might have clear skies or you might get a few inches or you might get snowed in"? Sadly we have to look at several different weather guessers to prepare for the next few days but when they are all different and they are all wrong what benefit do they offer?

Hope everyone had Merry Christmas.
My oldest son's house is very musical at the moment.
Ukele, drum set and piano.
And no I didn't get any of those.
Only because I didn't think of it lol..
We got my Dad moved finally.
Now his dryer has quit.
I don't know why everyone is upset.
That dryer was only about 15 years old.
American made dryer.
Been cleaning up the sewing area, sorting out fabric scraps.
General cleanup of sewing cabinet.
Sleeping quite a bit.

A friend had an accident and totaled her vehicle a week ago. It was towed far away and she went to the hospital overnight to be checked out. I had told her to let me know if I can do anything for her. She had to go remove her private stuff from her car. A cab would have been over $100, and it would have taken her 3 buses to get there. She called and told me she would pay me to take her. Nope, I'll take you but I will not accept any money. Friend lost her husband in April and her two children live about 100 miles away. After being married for 45 years, it is hard to take on tasks that he always did. Off we went and she got her personal stuff.

I realized we were close to the LDS Bishop's Storehouse and we had talked about going at some point in time, and so we went. We were a little early. I asked in another office if they were open today, because it is the holiday season. Yes, and they volunteered to open early for us. It is a very different set up from when I used to go and do my own canning. Things are just in stacks in boxes. I saw no peanut butter or honey, which are on their list, but also know that the list says possibly not stocked yet. No questions about being LDS. No forms to fill out. Friend bought a couple cans and 25 pounds of wheat. I bought a couple cans, because I already have cases of what they stock.

Then we went out to lunch, something that neither of us do very often.

If I don't get ahold of my diet Richard Simmons will be holding my hand and crying.
I met Richard Simmons once - I did a big service project in scouts on serving the disabled with the Easter Seals, who got a local news channel to pick it up as a public interest story. McDonalds ended up getting involved and I ended up being presented some goofy award by Ronald McDonald and Richard Simmons. At one point, they both decided to hug me simultaneously, and one of my weirdest memories was born. I'll never be done with the therapy from that one ;)

Latest posts

Back