What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I awoke to an odd sound I couldn't place - windows open all night. I lifted the shade and a small flock of wild turkeys was right outside the window.

What a great way to start the day.

Going to be drilling more rock out on the property and dozing in the road!
time is of the essence now haha
0A690692-0A98-408C-A1F4-FD06542EA841.jpeg
D359B196-6C5F-4CEC-B0A0-B1C7918E11DF.jpeg
D9D4F40C-9288-484B-A9DC-54A384E21E9E.jpeg
93DB9CEE-21EA-4CE3-A7F4-3E65D770286B.jpeg

What a beautiful looking spot! It'll definitely be worth all the hard work :)
Thanks! I think so too. Will be boondocking until it dries up enough the well driller and septic guy can get out there. We wanted rain but it would’ve been nice to get this all done first.
pretty much said to heck with the county. They still haven’t issued our permit.

Thanks! I think so too. Will be boondocking until it dries up enough the well driller and septic guy can get out there. We wanted rain but it would’ve been nice to get this all done first.

Moving at the speed of gubmint... like a snail through molasses, lol. :oops:

Go ahead and do the work, and to heck with the gubmint... the only inspections folks round here have to worry about are septic system & home inspections. If you're just putting in a road or building fences, I'd say get on with it. You can always tell unexpected visitors that you had Covid in your listening ear... my brother was an estate attorney in Kalifornia for a number of years, and he told me that if he wanted to build something on his property, he just built it, and never paid any mind to the gubmint BS. As long as it wasn't something major, like a huge home addition or whatever, then he skipped the permit. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you made the right move, boondocking in the RV as opposed to dealing with unfriendly "neighbors" in an RV park---as one old man told me in Show Low, AZ: "ACREAGE IS YOUR BEST NEIGHBOR!!!" ;)

I camped for 109 days in Whetstone, AZ, during my search for a new home, and I was living out of a tent with three cats! It wasn't so bad, really, the first thing I did after pitching my tent was organize an outdoor field kitchen and build a stone fire ring. I used a long wooden desk for a kitchen table, a Scandinavian desk over 6' long, and it worked great! The fire ring was awesome too, I spent many a night by the campfire! In your situation, I'd make the most of it and just consider it camping at another level. For me, it was "glamping"---kicking back & grilling over mesquite embers under a million stars!!! :camping:

Keeping an eye on the two farm neighbor girls that are over playing with little granddaughter. They're all in the blow up pool. We invited them for the afternoon, mom and the baby are going home to take a nap. So there's a 3 yr old, 6 yr old, and little granddaughter is 10. Hotter than heck out. Had to laugh, I'm not used to seeing those girls in anything but their amish clothes. They are wearing shorts and a tshirt for swimming. Brought their dresses to put on later. I bet playing Barbies is next.

Cleaning the kitchen and thinning out some stuff, to make room for more, lol. Loading up a contractor bag for the trash Thursday.

Monday we're making a hard run on the store(s) for 2 more months worth of food, so I'm making room.

Despite the unexpected rebuff at the kitten shelter today, I did combine errands and I picked up several rolls of T-Rex Extra Thick Double Sided Tape, plus a large package of Command Picture Hanging Strips (16 large pairs, 12 medium pairs) for putting up posters and cloth wall hangings in my home. Probably would've started hanging stuff & putting up posters already, but I'm still processing that whole denial business at the kitten shelter... that was just plain stupid. Here I am, with the perfect home for cats, which I OWN free & clear, and they won't let me adopt due to some idiot libtard rule, PFFFFFT. That just doesn't make ANY sense, particularly in this f/u Biden Economy, aye? Meh, like I said, I'll keep researching the low-cost spay & neuter outfits till I find one near my home, then rescue kittens off C/L, no middleman involved. It's just sad that I found a litter of four little kittens who would've LOVED my cat-centric home, and I was ready to adopt 'em and bring 'em into my cat-loving family, and some idiot had to throw a monkey wrench into my simple rescue plans... :oops:

I'm still processing THAT stupidity, and the Shiner Strawberry Blonde brew isn't providing any real answers, though it's mighty tasty on a warm day in the high desert. I'm just trying to figure out how this world got so f/u, that a cat-loving guy like me who owns his home free & clear can't adopt four little kittens who clearly took a shine to me... that's just PLAIN F#%NG STUPID. Meh, I'll stop here with my ranting, it just doesn't make ANY sense at all, but then again, NOTHING makes sense lately, unless you factor in the greedy globalist swine and their political scumbag tools. Scum o' the earth, the lot, and like I said before, they don't care how many humans & animals suffer... the dirty swine. And the idiot libtards aren't helping matters either, I wonder who does the accounting for that kitten shelter? Some rocket scientist, no doubt... dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to common sense issues. Oh, hell, I kept on ranting when I said I'd stop... who would've THUNK it??? Lol. Things happen or don't happen for a reason, so I'll move on and rescue kittens elsewhere, 10-4? :confused:

The boy and I went garage selling today and to a homeschool group book sale. We did very well. I should be able to resell some of it and pay for my mad money for my girls long weekend next month.

Im working on reorganizing the pantry, that’s always fun. Tonight after dinner I need to spend a good amount of time planning before my long list of projects and the garden turn into a mess.

Cleaning the kitchen and thinning out some stuff, to make room for more, lol. Loading up a contractor bag for the trash Thursday.

Monday we're making a hard run on the store(s) for 2 more months worth of food, so I'm making room.
Make some room for me too would ya? 😂 No company allowed now as I've pretty much commandeered the spare room.
Went and picked up DEF for Hubby's pick up "just in case". Picked up some more neem spray since the earwigs are having a family reunion in my garden! 😡
I stopped at Hobby Lobby which might shock some of you here, but not my favorite place. I was trying to find true tan headliner fabric here in town - no luck, but they had sock yarns on sale for $1.24 and $1.49 per skein - that's about 60-75% off so I got some. The whole reason I've learned to knit is because I like hand-knit socks. I'm nearly finished with my second pair ever and now I have more lined up 😁 (Just what I needed, more to do and put away). The other stop I made was to pick up some tennis shoes. My old pair is showing age. I have work boots but not plain ol' tennies. I found 2 pair. A pair lasts me about a decade so I should be alright there.

The permitting process here is about 8mo. - 1 yr. out. Can't say for there but only assume it's similar.

I once did similar, 49 days in a 23ft winnebago. I was in a prospectors camp in the mountains. The biggy was having power and water. I set up an outdoor kitchen. It was no different than living in a cramped aptment. I've done that a few times. Once you get water and sewage you'll settle right in to the routine.

I did absolutely nothing today except a few dishes. Still have Heal-All to process and tincture, finished 2 tinctures last night around midnight.

About to fix supper, watch a race on tv.

Edit, finished last tincture for the day. Got 3 other plant species ready to harvest and tincture tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get one done.

Last edited:
Rounded up the neighbor girls and took them home, picked up the mom and baby, and drove them to our little amish store. It was hot out (still is) and thought the air conditioned ride was better than the tractor and horse trailer she would of driven. The bagged ice guys were in town filling up the ice bins, broke about 20 bags slightly at the top, and asked if we wanted any free ice. I loaded up about 25 lbs for her freezer. The amish are big ice buyers. She was thrilled. The little girls and little granddaughter were sucking on ice all the way back. Got some food prepared for husband for father's day tomorrow. Made the chocolate cream pie and the potato salad anyway. Husband and grandson were busy killing musk thistle out in the pasture all afternoon. Nasty stuff. Saw it was edible (ha) but that'd be a lot of work.

Yesterday was busy, while I worked outside the son fixed Adobo under the wife's supervision. They made a ton of meat that will go into the new freezer that was too big and is now too small.. I can't win. The son fixed brownies and served them warm with a scoop of Ice Cream..

Around 01:00 the wife was having trouble breathing, medicated her, increased her oxygen, and used the CPAP to get her lungs to open up while sitting in a chair, around 04:00 she was breathing better and able to lay down. I expect that she will have a bad day today but at least she was able to have a good day while the son was home....

While I was watering the garden yesterday I noticed that some of the irrigation spray emitters were clogged, so I need to mark all the offending emitters and then clean all the filters, then remove and clean all the bad emitters. Drip irrigation does use less water, but it also requires constant maintenance.

This morning I decided to run errands because I was up. Did the banking, hit the grocery store, visited Walmart, put 60 miles on the car, and picked up my breakfast at mickey D's. After I got home I put away the groceries. It is now 07:30 and I am now eating my breakfast, how's your day. :)

Had Bro in law at the house since Friday night. He left this morning. We went to his sons place north of Atlanta yesterday for the grandsons 2nd birthday. 6 hour drive for a 2 hour party. Oh well everyone had fun.
Goin to my parents today to have lunch with them and celebrate Father's day.
Back home later, might try and get the lower graden tilled. Temps aren't as bad today as they'll be next week. I know I won't be interested after work, plus got a busy week again anyway

I hope all the dads on here have a wonderful Father's Day

Decorating my home, WOOHOO!!! ;)

I now have everything I need to put up posters and cloth wall hangings, so I'm just gonna putter around indoors... there are clouds in the sky so I'm hoping for rain, it's in the forecast for the next few days. :rolleyes:

Finishing a load of laundry, I wash the bedsheets at least once per week... don't like funky bedsheets. :oops:

Otherwise, it's a quiet Sunday with the cats, wild birds, maybe a cold one later, nothing out of hand... :cop:

I may tinker with my free lawn tractor and do some weed eating.
Then again I may just sit here and do nothing. That's looking like a good option.
I have to have a tooth removed tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to that but it will be nice to get rid of it.
I broke it eating peanut brittle and it can't be fixed.

Latest posts

Back