What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wicked hot so I just watered grape vine clones outside today. Decided to braid garlic in the project kitchen today.

20220701_163948_HDR.jpg

The Princess hangs them in one of her storerooms. I like the look of stores hanging from the floor joists.

We have granddaughters coming for a movie night and sleep over.

Behave!

Ben

I ended up sleeping pretty much all day yesterday. Got up to feed Mom briefly and back to crashing. Last night the dogs chewed the cord to my laptop so I got up early to go to BestBuy to see if they had adapters for the charging brick I got (the cables that came with it were USB C and my charging adapter & laptop only have USB A. Found a USB C to A but couldn't find an A to A which I need for charging the laptop. I might have one somewhere but I'm not sure. Might have to order an adapter. Friend said he thinks he can temporarily patch my cord. We'll see though.
Using my desktop for now and had to re-do the product code for Windows bc it said it wasn't genuine. First time it went back to saying not genuine again after a couple hours. Added some new stuff in when activating and this time it seems to have stuck. Went to Samsclub & Walmart. Sams had cat food back in stock and a few other items. Walmart didn't have what I was looking for in food but I found some replacement serving spoons to replace the ones the dogs chewed and big silicone fork. It fluffed the rice very well without scratching the pressure cooker (I made yellow rice for Mom).
Computer isn't detecting my cordless mouse-- no idea why. May need to install drivers. so I'm using an annoying wired mouse. But at least I can use my computer at all.

Lots of animal and garden work today. Went into our little town with little granddaughter to do our regular Friday afternoon rounds....farmer's market (2 ladies ha), post office, soft serve ice cream cone, and amish discount store. Pretty much can park the car and walk to each. The farmer's mkt tables were fairly cleared out by the time I got there about an hour or so in. Those ladies were pleased, because it's been real slow on Fridays for them. I figure it's important to go and buy something to keep them coming out. Bought a sour cream coffee cake, a loaf of fresh wheat bread, and a ring of chive bread (a local favorite). We stopped at the greenhouse our neighbor sells out of on the way home and got some tomatoes and a porch plant. She's pulling a bushel of beets that I can pick up in the morning. Talked husband into take out pizza tonight. Grandson is off work till Tuesday. He's not going to know what to do with himself, but I have a list.

Been out in the heat all week.
Working the American Legion fireworks stand.
Been busy learning all the responsibilites of being Finance officer.
Still staying with Dad as much as possible.
This Wednesday, my oldest grand daughter Estelle turned 5 years old.
Her day was made with Granny buying backpack of kid friendly fireworks.
Her little face lit up great big when one of the guys got her another little bit of Fireworks too.
We put her name in to the raffle for a bike at Granny's house.

" backpack of kid friendly fireworks. "
What is that???!
Little pink backpack filled with snakes, snap poppers,pooping dog, chicken that lays egg and cackles,tanks, party poppers with confetti(you pull the string out),sparklers, small fountains, to be used under adult supervision of course.
NO M80's, No Firebombs,No Firecrackers.
After the little bit of fireworks is gone then she has backpack for "Barbie" stuff.

Almost daylight. All critters fed except the donkey. Will water when I go to feed him. Will play ball with Bear and take him for a walk before showering and heading to work. He discovered the couch this morning, a little slice of doggie heaven!! Hopefully I get a nap today, never did yesterday. Could use one right now!!

Almost daylight. All critters fed except the donkey. Will water when I go to feed him. Will play ball with Bear and take him for a walk before showering and heading to work. He discovered the couch this morning, a little slice of doggie heaven!! Hopefully I get a nap today, never did yesterday. Could use one right now!!
IMG_20220702_053852093.jpg
There may not be much napping room for me! The dog will be available, 😉!

Husband lost his keys getting hay , no idea where they went. He said he looked all around the truck and no keys. Good thing he had a spare in the truck . So no extra keys, mine where on there also. This is going to be yet another expensive hassle he caused by being careless.......*sigh*
Going to look for the keys again today ( with me) and then starting the process to get them replaced.
Late to the party, but my phone and I are finally in the same room as a set of "keys". All my key sets have a red or orange "flag" to make them a little easier to find in the "rough"

IMG_0421.jpeg

Last edited:
@Morgan101 How is your first day of freedom going?

Two days in, and all is well. I started a written Retirement To Do List. Five items so far. My goal (if there is such a thing) is to do something productive every day. I am trying to not take napping to an art form. So far so good, but the new found freedom does take some getting used to. :thumbs:

I got back to sleep. Dogs puked in the kitchen earlier - when my vision was blurry and back was not cooperating. I slept until after noon. I need to go clean up the dog puke, pick up some trash they pulled out of the can, and change hvac filters. The cats have been sneezing from the dust.

I've been e-mailing with someone who wants to adopt the two pups. She's very excited and desperately wants to adopt them but she's over 3 hours away and she just got Covid. She's a first responder so she gets exposed a lot. Her husband e-mailed as well. I said I could meet with them (after quarantine) in a neutral public place so her dogs could be introduced in an place they don't feel territorial. I have to clean out the truck, but I should have at least 10 days to two weeks before a meetup. I think the puppies will be happier with people who can actually play with them. I've let them know the dogs are not house trained and that they chew stuff. She had a dog before that chewed some Jimmy Choo shoes. I googled her phone number that she gave me and found her street address already. Didn't think I would find that info, but was doing reverse phone lookup to make sure it was the right number and not some scam/serial killer or something.

Finally got my wireless mouse to work with my desktop computer. Had to install some softare and resync the mouse to its receiver.

View attachment 88948Daughter and I kayaked for an hour. It was my first time in a kayak, 10/10 will repeat. I loved it but she didn't seem to enjoy it as much as me. I guess probably because she couldn't paddle and be on her phone at the same time...

That looks like fun. I may have to add another item to my To Do list. I had every intention of playing golf, but a storm of Biblical proportions rolled in and changed the plan. I still did a few productive things.

We drove 3 states in 1 day yesterday! It was a looooong day to say the least. Saw some new country & now know some more places we wouldn't want to live and some to consider.
Today woke at normal time even though we got in late. I was useless until noon. Then went out and began cleaning up the summer kitchen. We are nearing canning season and it was a disgrace. On my second load of laundry. Now catching up for a minute then need to do floors so nobody accidently plants a crop in the house ;)

Worked up a load of stuff and took it to the dump. Had to sit in line going in and coming out. Then hit up TSC and Lowes for various stuff. Got back home and unloaded. Went in the house and tried to beat the heat.
Got the beds watered again for twice in the last 3 days. Most likely will again Monday if we don't get a little rain.

So something almost a miracle happened , husband got his keys back. The day after he lost them we were going to drive back to the hay field to look and then if we didn't find them go to the car dealer to get or order new ones. So we drive down our mountain and there is a sing on the stop sign where our road joins the county road at a bride "found keys , please call " and a phone number. Phone number is in husband's phone contacts, our neighbor down the road. Husband doesn't want to bother calling him since...he lost the keys an hour away, but I make him do it anyways just in case. He describes the keys to the neighbor and ....it sure sounds like them. Neighbor found his keys on the bridge near here. In the middle of it. The only thing we can figure that maybe the keys fell down the truck or trailer and got hung up somehow and the rickety bridge rattled it loose and they fell down.
Wow, nothing good like that usually happens!

Really busy but wanted to post this since it is so incredible a story

Today I ran to pick up the things on the wife's 4th of July list. There were some clear shortages, carrots, broccoli, and that kind of stuff. It made me think, with this new world order and the push for Vegan lifestyles, hows that going to work if you can't get veggies now? As I think about it the meat isles were low, but that is the new normal, and seeing boneless chicken breasts 5 for $20 is a little high. 90% lean beef hamburger patties 4 for $10 for 4. But hey they had them and it's ($) only paper.

I wanted to pick up a MickeyDs breakfast, but I could see the line all the way around the building so I passed, now it either I cook something, oat meal, or a hot-pocket. I think I'll eat some fruit and think about it.

We have church this morning, then I hope to work in the garden this afternoon. I am going to plant potatoes in concrete mixing tubs, I have 3 tubs and they will just do....

Latest posts

Back